Lies of P
  • I was quite interested to try this as a more linear souls thing...but extra faff on upgrading leaves me really cold. Can someone just do one of these games where you start of with a big sword and then you just work through the levels without all the rpg numberwang nonsense! Won't somebody think of the thickos? ;)
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    You'd be grand, the upgrading shit is pretty ignorable, given it doesn't make a huge amount of difference. Except may weapon choice & leveling up.
  • Just started this, fuck it's dark not in tone but actual visuals.
    Seems quite good fun, is it less brutal than a bloodsouls?
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • Played up to the first boss and despite some pretty visuals, I don't think I'll be continuing. I just kept thinking why I wasn't replaying Elden Ring instead. There's something about this kind of blatant and egregious rip off of another game that is just a bit shit. Like those terrible straight to DVD movies that follow in the wake of a big successful film.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Got to admit I often enjoy derivative 2D games but something this blatant strikes me as a bit much for a 50hr AAA whopper. Folks sure do love their Souls and Soulsalikes though, so it's nice to have more of the same to play I guess.
  • Gremill wrote:
    Played up to the first boss and despite some pretty visuals, I don't think I'll be continuing. I just kept thinking why I wasn't replaying Elden Ring instead. There's something about this kind of blatant and egregious rip off of another game that is just a bit shit. Like those terrible straight to DVD movies that follow in the wake of a big successful film.

I was the same. Beat first boss and had no inclination to continue
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • I'm renting this out and it should arrive tomorrow. Going to giving it a blast to see what all the fuss is about. Though after playing a few disappointing souls likes recently I'm not holding my breath to see if this wows me. Honestly I would rather a game did a blatant rip off and give me more souls but they all seem to want to be ever so slightly different, which is where they seem to fall off the rails.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • Rev wrote:
    I'm renting this out and it should arrive tomorrow. Going to giving it a blast to see what all the fuss is about. Though after playing a few disappointing souls likes recently I'm not holding my breath to see if this wows me. Honestly I would rather a game did a blatant rip off and give me more souls but they all seem to want to be ever so slightly different, which is where they seem to fall off the rails.

I'll be interested to hear your thoughts on this, Rev. The combat, for me, is a mixture of Bloodborne (in that you can recover health from attacks), and Sekiro (in that parrying is the key to combat and the stun/heavy attacks, plus you have various trick arms you can swap in/out).
  • Oh its clunky. It's like playing a game in porridge after the gracefulness of Sekiro. Took down the carnival boss on the third go and will see what happens next. Combat seems fine so far.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • The Donkey boy is down but the combat seems floaty in some places. If parrying is one of your mechanics then goodness me, make it solid. Sometimes I was able to dodge through the horizontal slashes and other times it was hitting me. Blocking seems to always do chip damage which is fine. It looks great and is atmospheric but it gives the impression the scenery is created for gameplay. Souls games are very good for creating areas that you feel exist out with the game. I'm going to keep playing, using some kind of electric club that seems to do decent damage. Willing to give it a chance atm.
  • This is weird because there's visual/audible feedback and vibration when you land the parry right.

• Syph79 wrote:
    This is weird because there's visual/audible feedback and vibration when you land the parry right.
    I'll check that out, thanks. I'm just getting used to things and the parrying is something I just need to get gud on
  • Took the bishop out, but used a helper and the fight was all in all felt like uncontrollable nonsense.
    Everything is just not quite there. The dodging is a bit slow. The charge R2 is frustrating as we're doing stamina bars again and fucking hell.
    As an overall experience it's actually not bad at all, but like @tempy alluded to, there's far too many systems within systems for it to be intuitive. In the bishop fight I forgot about the tertiary items, the L2 attack and too often you're looking at the screen icons and not the boss, trying to move the Dpad up or down in order to resharpen your weapon.
    But there's some really fun parts, but they seem to have gone to the 'make this hard as fuck' rather than 'progress by feet and inches'.
  • Rev wrote:
    Took the bishop out...

Gave him a goold old bash, did you?
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    Rev wrote:
    Took the bishop out...
    Gave him a goold old bash, did you?
    Had sore hands by the time I finished. He was a two-stager for sure

• It's still got huge combat issues for me. This boss fight is the perfect example. For the big guy, you're perfectly capable of dodging most of the attacks that are thrown at you, but as soon as you get to the smaller lighter faster second stage, you're not nimble enough to react quickly to his dash attacks unless you get lucky. I didn't feel i beat them because I could counter everything they did, I felt I won because I got lucky.
  • I feel like I’m calling you out or highlighting your play style, which I’m genuinely not trying to do - so please treat this as something of interest and not a criticism.

Parrying forms a large part of the combat in this game, but you didn’t parry once in that fight. It’s clearly working, as you wouldn’t have succeeded otherwise, but maybe the sense that you’re winning because you got lucky is because you’re hampering yourself through not engaging with a core mechanic?
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Syph79 wrote:
    I feel like I’m calling you out or highlighting your play style, which I’m genuinely not trying to do - so please treat this as something of interest and not a criticism.

Parrying forms a large part of the combat in this game, but you didn’t parry once in that fight. It’s clearly working, as you wouldn’t have succeeded otherwise, but maybe the sense that you’re winning because you got lucky is because you’re hampering yourself through not engaging with a core mechanic?

That's me with Bloodbourne. But that's because the parry was inconsistent and therefore shite
  • Syph79 wrote:
    I feel like I’m calling you out or highlighting your play style, which I’m genuinely not trying to do - so please treat this as something of interest and not a criticism. Parrying forms a large part of the combat in this game, but you didn’t parry once in that fight. It’s clearly working, as you wouldn’t have succeeded otherwise, but maybe the sense that you’re winning because you got lucky is because you’re hampering yourself through not engaging with a core mechanic?
    All cool with me as I want to get better. But as someone who lived and breathed the parrying in Sekiro over the last three months the parrying in this game is very inconsistent. I don't know if it is down to the parrying window being extremely small, or me just not being great at it, but I've been doing a quick run through of the early areas to try to improve my parrying and the consistency just isn't there in terms of expected and actual parrying window. 
    Some of the enemies seem to have intentional attacks which are designed to miss time the parry, something Sekiro didn't annoy you with. I'm really not feeling this far in that I'm in control of that major part of the game and it worries me for future encounters that I'll hit a wall and just shelve it.
  • Rev wrote:
    Some of the enemies seem to have intentional attacks which are designed to miss time the parry, something Sekiro didn't annoy you with.

There’s definitely some attacks where the enemy will swipe, swipe, pause or flail, then swipe again in Lies. They’re a bit more fake out than Sekiro, but that wasn’t without enemies with their own rhythm to learn. Despite being a Souls-like, I think it’s very much its own thing.

I personally found as the game went on I was parrying pretty much everything. I’d recommend using the dummies in the courtyard for practice to help get the window down. I started out struggling with it, but I found it to be consistent when it landed with me.

In terms of getting better, I think the game will allow you to play it on your terms. I pretty much exclusively used the shield arm, as I liked being able to block and charge it as an attack when I felt like the parrying rhythm had escaped me.

All I can recommend is experimenting. There’s so much variations of weapons, handles, arms, and perks that it can be overwhelming to the point I’d expect some players don’t step out from their comfort zone. Ironically, I used the starter blade (with a different handle) for most of the game. I did try some others, but I liked the speed of the lighter weapons.
  • There's a ton of upgrade materials and you're encouraged to switch weapons for different areas. I'm finding my acid weapon demolished the Hulk like boss in only two attempts.
    I'm still trying the parrying but honestly I'm more of a straff and smack at the moment which seems to be working well. Some of the levels encourage you to run through and then clear up once you hit the next stargazer so you're attacking from behind.
    Look, I'm still playing the game and there's bit I like. It's a pile better than Steel Rising.
  • The camera is absolutely frustrating though. Doesn't know when to pan out. Makes the Green swamp boss a bloody chore to fight. I think I'll be going down the throwing consumables route with this one.
  • Did anyone work out what P's lies are.
  • Brooks wrote:
    Did anyone work out what P's lies are.
    Ironically, when you lie you are normally taking the human route, i.e. sparing peoples feelings or saving people from awful truths. It's not black and white lying. It actually works quite nicely in the game.
  • Brooks wrote:
    Did anyone work out what P's lies are.

Stolen valour
    Gamertag: gremill
  • I really swivel between 'This game is really clever in how it is working'
    to 'Hmm, that is really awkward and not fun'
    to 'This game seems to think fighting mini-bosses in tight spaces is something to be repeated on a regular basis.'
    to 'I'm just going to have to cheese this boss because the combination of stamina management, bad cameras and the inconsistent parry window make me rage' 

I'm pretty close to the end and there is so much to like, but I haven't been posting videos simply because every time I'm beating a boss I'm normally shouting 'Take that you f**king c*nt' and so I can't really share it to youtube.

• This falls into okay boss Battle because the arena was big enough to allow movement.
  • So that's the second last boss down. So almost finished now. Just the big bad left I reckon. Turned out better than I thought. But being 90% into a game and it suddenly getting ok isn't a great sell to me. Glad I rented it. Might buy it in future if it went on sale.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!