• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    LivDiv wrote:
    I remember arguments between MK64 and Diddy Kong Racing. Diddy Kong won then and it wins now.

DKR for 1 player
    MK64 for MP

I found DKR MP racing strangely flat. It should have been brilliant - plane vs kart etc - but it just wasn't.  The battle modes were poor as well.

DKR was/is a spectacularly good game. The hours I got out of that cart.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Best shouts for me are MK64 and SMB2. I was young and dumb(er) and yet to be fully aware of the disappointments life can bring, leading healthy people to have zero expectations for anything
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Aye - that bastardisation of Doki Doki Panic...... Saw it and instantly passed. SMB3 made up for it though.

I only got to play SMB2 via All Stars and I quite like it but it's not what one expects from a Mario game.

The story of SMB2 is an interesting one though. The original game was a JP cartoon/comic licenced game and they expected great things from it but it sank. So Nintendo reskinned it and sold it in the West as SMB2.  I like how they pulled some of its characters into the Mario universe - shyguys, Birdo et al are now embedded in it.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Blue Swirl wrote:
    Monopoly can be fixed* pretty easily. 1) You don't collect any income while in prison, regardless if someone lands on your property. (This stops jail being a lucrative place to be.) 2) No collecting the money in community chest if you land on free parking. (This stops a player on the verge of losing suddenly having a ton of cash and adding an extra hour or two to the game.) 3) The game ends not when there's one non-bankrupt player left, but when one person goes bankrupt. The standings are determined by cash + value of properties. *Made less shit, delete as appropriate.

1 is a genuine fix.
    2 isn't a real rule - it somehow became a thing
    3 is already a rule in the short game or is an official variant on the full fat game.
  • davyK wrote:
    Aye - that bastardisation of Doki Doki Panic...... Saw it and instantly passed. SMB3 made up for it though. I only got to play SMB2 via All Stars and I quite like it but it's not what one expects from a Mario game. The story of SMB2 is an interesting one though. The original game was a JP cartoon/comic licenced game and they expected great things from it but it sank. So Nintendo reskinned it and sold it in the West as SMB2.  I like how they pulled some of its characters into the Mario universe - shyguys, Birdo et al are now embedded in it.

Woah woah - I meant super monkey ball 2. I LOVED super Mario bros 2 (was bout...9? when I got to play it?): it looked leagues ahead of SMB1, had totally different mechanics (the picking things up), secret worlds via potions, new bad guys, different characters with different characteristics, plenty of game, and challenge. It was brilliant!

Monkey ball 2 though was hugely disappointing, missing the utterly fair but harsh challenge and making things more random and less precise. Rubbish Sega
  • mario kart 64
    oblivion
    animal crossing (i've since learnt to 'enjoy it' more through my kids, but got the first one on nintendo DS and remember just thinking 'what is this shite?' and was the first game i ever took back)
    smash bros (just never clicked with it)
    PES for the last 15 years or so (it still hurts)
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    @Funkstain

Ah - OK. :)   I was older and didn't like the perceived plodding pace of Mario 2 so I passed on it.  9? Feel old now......

Re Monkey Ball - SMB2 sullied the purity of SMB1 but I still liked it.  But Monkey Ball 1 on Gamecube is on my very short list of perfect games - those that needed nothing added.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Timed games are decent to. Play for 60mins then add up the value of all assets and remaining cash to declare a winner.
    Also ban private deals.

These seem like good ideas. Or at least with private deals, only the current player can initiate, and then they have two minutes to negotiate. If no deal is reached in that time, just carry on.
    RedDave2 wrote:
    Isn't there a thing which gets ignored a lot where once someone lands on a vacant spot if the player doesn't buy it it gets auctioned off straight away?

That seems like a reasonable idea, as well.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • RedDave2 wrote:
    Isn't there a thing which gets ignored a lot where once someone lands on a vacant spot if the player doesn't buy it it gets auctioned off straight away? Remember reading this, not sure if it was an actual rule or a suggestion but it was supposed to speed things up a lot.

This is the way it is meant to be played. I've yet to meet anyone who plays by those rules though.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • PES for the last 15 years or so (it still hurts)

With you there. It was properly incredible. Hard, hard emphasis on was.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Facewon wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:
    BotW, HL2, mainly because they were so hyped.
    Get out

I mean this is just crazy talk. C'mon yoss. HL2 is on brand for you I know, but botw.....

Agree with Yoss here, BOTW failed to impress.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • PES for the last 15 years or so (it still hurts)

2 to 6 were all some of my best gaming memories. Master league and multi player. Haven't been able to get into a footie game since (fm series excepted)
    SFV - reddave360
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Zelda has been diminishing returns for me since Link to the Past. Have played each subsequent console game less and less. I don't bother now.
  • RedDave2 wrote:

2 to 6 were all some of my best gaming memories. Master league and multi player. Haven't been able to get into a footie game since (fm series excepted)

I haven't enjoyed one since ISS pro evolution soccer on the ps1. It was the daddy. It doesn't hold up today but it introduced so many things or at least did them right first. Through ball, chipped through ball taken in your stride, double tap chip, dummy shot, corners, free kicks, headers, pens , scissor volleys, altering game speed, camera settings not to mention master league. I could go on. It was the game everyone stopped playing fifa for, even the non gamers.

I still think it does some if not all of those things better than what followed however its passing is dreadful and so is the reaction time of the players and it makes it unplayable now.

So yeah every footie game that followed that was and still is a huge disappointment.
  • That chipped through ball taken in your stride. Bliss.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message

I really, really enjoyed PES 2022 (the update thing). It's still excellent. Better than this eFootball thing, anyway.
    Not to trash eFootball completely though, because despite the knocky start, it's not a bad game when the ball starts rolling.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    That chipped through ball taken in your stride. Bliss.
    My man gif!

Battling to get in front of your marker for a header from a corner has never been bettered. Hold square to get in position, adjust to get in front of the defender, and then square again and if you get it right you'll power one at the goal. Also heading animation has never been bettered.

There was also nothing better than a dummy shot on a charging keeper and putting him on his arse just to take it round him.

The 6 man leagues we had drunk and stoned on a weekend are fond memories.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Cupatay wrote:
    RedDave2 wrote:

I haven't enjoyed one since ISS pro evolution soccer on the ps1. It was the daddy. It doesn't hold up today but it introduced so many things or at least did them right first. Through ball, chipped through ball taken in your stride, double tap chip, dummy shot, corners, free kicks, headers, pens , scissor volleys, altering game speed, camera settings not to mention master league. I could go on. It was the game everyone stopped playing fifa for, even the non gamers.

I still think it does some if not all of those things better than what followed however its passing is dreadful and so is the reaction time of the players and it makes it unplayable now.

So yeah every footie game that followed that was and still is a huge disappointment.

You forgot the 1-2s
  • Inter 352 and AC 442 diamond will never die. Adriano imperator 99 shot power. The streets will never forget.
  • Hot take: I was really disappointed with Sonic Adventure when it arrived. Only with time and age I appreciated it a lot more.
  • I enjoyed it, sister's bf had it on Jpn import early on. Sonic Adventure 2 was the big disappointment for me.
  • Every Star Fox game since Lylat Wars/64
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Every Sonic game after Sonic 2. And even that is a push. Sonic in 3D generally is a mess.

Sonic in the wide open Grass Zone levels is genius. Need more of that kind of thing. A humungous 2D full on Sonic game with big wide open levels with different paths to the end.

Fuck all that character / Tails / Chaos malarky in the bin.  No talk. Just get to the end of the level asap.
  • davyK wrote:
    Every Sonic game after Sonic 2. And even that is a push.

Get out.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Ha.  :)
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Every Star Fox game since Lylat Wars/64

Whoever thought Star Fox should have running about sections should have been taken out to the car park , flogged and shot.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Did I notice someone mention Nights on Wii?

I didn't even try it after reading the reviews so I wasn't able to be disappointed. Fuck me what a missed open goal that was..

Fuck running about in 3D environments.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Mario Party 9.

The series was getting less and less skill based but MP9 killed it off as any valid source of entertainment. All the characters moving about the board on the same bus? What the fuck is that about?

If a game needs to go back to basics it's this. Back when you could fuck someone over, gang up on people etc. All that was compromised with each version.

Hopeful the retro/All Stars style game is a move to that?

MP9 came out the same time as Boom Street/Fortune Street on Wii (aka Itadaki Street in Japan) - and is a proper video game board game. Was beautifully done. Proper skill based game with some random elements and way , way ahead of Monopoly.

Played it online while it was still a thing and I guess its sales suffered because of MP9. So it wrecked the MP series and neutered Boom Street. Well done/

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!