Most disappointing games
  • Wave Race: Blue Storm. Horribly generic and bland, it lost all the magic of the N64 version. The first of a long line of disappointing Gamecube games, for me.
    Every Star Fox game since Lylat Wars/64

How many have there been? I thought it was only the Gamecube one where Fox was arsing about with dinosaurs for some reason. See above re. Gamecube disappointments.
  • I could make a list alone of GameCube dissapointments:

Super Mario Sunshine
    Zelda Wind Waker
    Wave Race Blue Storm
    F-Zero GX
    Star Fox Assault
    Mario Kart Double Dash

Regarding Star Fox, since Lylat Wars there has been:

Assault - GCN
    Adventures - GCN
    Command - DS
    Zero - Wii U
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I knew Wind Waker would come up.
    I love it and always have but it's fair that people were dissapointed.
  • Surprised Mass Effect Andromeda and the Mass Effect 3 ending haven't come up yet
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Windeaker is the fourth best Zelda, absolute perfection up to the shards.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    1080 and Waverace on Gamecube. Yeah. They were OK. Quite good actually. But they had a hard act to follow. They just didn't have that joyful feel of the originals. GC 1080 has a LAN/linkup mode which I have tried. Bare bones but fine.

Mario Golf and Tennis are the same. Nice polished games but just safe updates. Disappointing at the time but they have aged well.   The football and baseball games were good. The baseball game was a late Namco release and it was particularly slick.

F-Zero and Smash Bros are the two standout N64 updates (though developed by Sega and HAL). F Zero was a bit too hard for it's own good but it's a great update. I loved MK-DD as well.  

Windwaker.....I quite enjoyed it but didn't finish it. I remember playing a demo dungeon from it on a bonus disc and it picqued my interest enough to get it. Of all the other Zeldas I've tried it's the one I would like to go back to (or more likely start over).
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Mario Party 4 was also a really good sequel on the cube.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    LivDiv wrote:
    Surprised Mass Effect Andromeda and the Mass Effect 3 ending haven't come up yet

I’m didn’t mind the ME3 ending that much.

By the time I got around to Andromeda I already knew it was dogshit so set my expectations accordingly.

• Questor
    Show networks
    Steam
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/questornz/

Send message
    LivDiv wrote:
    I knew Wind Waker would come up. I love it and always have but it's fair that people were dissapointed.

WW Is still my favourite Zelda game
  • davyK wrote:
    1080 and Waverace on Gamecube. Yeah. They were OK. Quite good actually. But they had a hard act to follow.

Of all my GameCube dissapointments Wave Race Blue Storm is my favourite, but the N64 game is just magical. A real all timer for me.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    RedDave2 wrote:
    Isn't there a thing which gets ignored a lot where once someone lands on a vacant spot if the player doesn't buy it it gets auctioned off straight away? Remember reading this, not sure if it was an actual rule or a suggestion but it was supposed to speed things up a lot.

That's an official rule. 

The rules of the short game have players starting with 3 random properties too.

There's a speed die now - tried it once....it closes a game down pretty quickly but removes more skill out of the game - such as it is.
  • My most recent one is Cyberpunk. I never played any of the Witcher games but obviously heard all the hype, then to see a new IP by these guys but with a cyberpunk setting??? Queue the Vince McMahon falling off his chair gif. I thought the game looked amazing, my mum used to buy me a game every Christmas and Cyberpunk was the last one she got me. So to properly enjoy it, I held off playing until the ps5 patch was in place and everything was in order (as much as it could be anyway). And......I found it pretty shit. Im not super far in, the story stuff seems fine, quite atmospheric in places, but the driving around the city gameplay feels utterly pants. So I was massively let down by it. I might return and mainline the story though during the winter.
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    I could make a list alone of GameCube dissapointments: Super Mario Sunshine Zelda Wind Waker 1080 Wave Race Blue Storm F-Zero GX Star Fox Assault Mario Kart Double Dash

Ban request.

And I'd rate MKDD above MK64, but that's just personal preference.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    MKDD is still the best MK
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    No, that's 8.

(IMHO, YMMV.)
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Im with @davyK on GX. To hard for its own good, X is still the peak of the series for me.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Yup I really, really wanted to like GX but it was stupid hard.
    Even the story mode was near impossible.
    I didnt even buy it in the end, my mate bought it first and a play or two on his copy put me off.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    Yup I really, really wanted to like GX but it was stupid hard. Even the story mode was near impossible. I didnt even buy it in the end, my mate bought it first and a play or two on his copy put me off.

I'm no hardcore gamer but I couldn't even beat the  very first opponent in GX, like, got nowhere near the fat fuck. Sod that, and sod you Toshihiro hardcore Nagoshi
  • Im with @davyK on GX. To hard for its own good, X is still the peak of the series for me.

Never got to play GX but X was one of the best N64 games ever. Didnt seem to get the recognition it should have though (maybe because it was a N64 game). Any future racer games I play are measured against it and often found wanting.
    SFV - reddave360
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    F-Zero X is my favourite racing game ever, ever , ever.   Sega Rally and Daytona come close but not quite there for sheer racing thrills.

No game does it for me the way that game does.  Played the PAL version (which is a great port btw). Have the JP version on cart now. Still play it on real hardware. Paid for it on Wii VC but I prefer the original experience with the N64 pad. It's rumble support on N64 is stupendous too.  Just a shame you can't save ghosts to a memory pack. You can only save 1 ghost to the cart.

GX is gorgeous and content packed but eff me it's tough.  I got to maybe chapter 4 of Story Mode. Took me a loooong time to unlock the final cup (Diamond?) and I have never got close to unlocking the secret tracks.

MK-DD is my favourite MK game. MK8 might be better but I don't like it as much. Still love the original too but DD is the king for me.
  • Really liked F-Zero GX. Surprised people would rank it in their biggest ever disappointments.

Another one from me. I remember reading a stunning review for a game called Cyborg Justice on the MegaDrive. Got like 97% in Mean Machines or similar. I was really hyped to get it.

Anyway, it was quite shite. Every level and enemy was basically the same and I don't think the music changed much. Some annoying 12-bar half-arsed Blues shit constantly. Very bland.

• Haha I've been considering replaying that recently, the write up in an ultimate scrolling beat 'em up guide was positive. I had similar thoughts to you when I rented it at the time though, was glad I didn't buy it. Ecco was the 97% MMS game though (Novotrade's previous game). I think they gave Cyborg Justice between 90 and 93% but can't remember precisely. /weirdo pedant. Deffo a glowing review though.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Would love GX to have had a LAN mode. Since the arcade build had linkup support it could have been done. I know GC LAN mode is very much a side note but it would have been perfect. I've played MK-DD and 1080 that way occasionally. I picked the BB adaptors out of the bargain bin at the GC's death.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Windeaker is the fourth best Zelda, absolute perfection up to the shards.

You know it
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    MKDD is still the best MK

You know it
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    What's happening
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I fucking love splatoon
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I fucking love splatoon

What could be more fun than shooting the floor?
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Watching the paint on the floor dry?
  • drumbeg wrote:
    Really liked F-Zero GX. Surprised people would rank it in their biggest ever disappointments.

It's very easy to confuse dissapointment with bad.

Most of the games I listed in my OP are 8/10 games for me, but when they follow a 10 on vastly inferior HW they make the list.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!