Atomic Heart - are Russians the bad guys now?
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Verecocha wrote:
    Kow wrote:
    Really nice looking game, the intro is spectacular. They don't seem to have an option to put the audio in Russian and subtitles in English though (it's either all of one or the other), which is a pity as the voice acting in English is atrocious
    It is a bit of a stunner and I’ve really enjoyed the first couple of hours but as you say, the voice acting is woeful.

I'm not sure if it's the script, or a dodgy translation of the Russian, or just the voice acting, but the protagonist is a dick.
  • Downloaded but I'll delete before even playing. Sounds dire.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    It looks fantastic so it's definitely worth a try. From what I've played it's definitely not terrible.
  • It looks gorgeous but after half hour nothing happened other than walking between waypoints to trigger some dialogue and I found myself rather bothered by the endless Soviet Union being awesome messaging.

Deleted
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • I feel iffy about it, tbh. Yes, brutalist architecture and Soviet era art and design is interesting... but I wouldn't be able to enjoy anything that feels pro-Russia at the moment.
  • Save your money for S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 guys.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I don't have any problem with it being Russian. It was in development way before the Ukraine war and I would suppose the team is not in the employment of the Kremlin. Did you drop all American made games when they invaded Afghanistan and Iraq, or when Trump was in power? I don't think playing the game in any way is supportive of Putin.
  • I’m with you Kow. And after the admittedly long tutorial point to point it’s a very good old style FPS.
  • Everything I’ve read pointed out how much of an aggressive prick your character is so in our purely based on that.
  • Like I said, I feel iffy. I'll take a look and see what I think. I'm not in the humour for anything jingoistic while I'm seeing cities get shelled and people murderered every day. It seems like 50s/60s futurism from what little I've seen so might be all right.

All the same, I get your point, Kow.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Kow wrote:
    I don't have any problem with it being Russian. It was in development way before the Ukraine war and I would suppose the team is not in the employment of the Kremlin. Did you drop all American made games when they invaded Afghanistan and Iraq, or when Trump was in power? I don't think playing the game in any way is supportive of Putin.

Apparently there are some links between the publisher/Devs and Kremlin owned entities so...

I will avoid it for that reason, but I watched the world cup and I like Hogwarts legacy, so I'm not going to judge anyone for playing this.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Everything I’ve read pointed out how much of an aggressive prick your character is so in our purely based on that.

Yeah, he is an asshole. I want to turn it all into Russian, but with English subtitles.
  • My issue is the uncertainty over whether any profits from this might end up going back to Russia and indirectly funding a fascist invasion of another country, and there's enough connections to organisations that it seems somewhat plausible especially considering their entire economy is also mobilised for war at this point. If that is the case then I'd feel pretty sick to my stomach even it was a penny's worth. It's just a video game, not fuel or food so I'm perfectly alright just not bothering with this for however long it takes for the war to be over and major political change to occur.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I think boycotting is great thing to do, I'm all in favour of it (especially with Israel). I'd have to know more to boycott this though. I can't imagine they are directly helping to fund the war. It disturbs me a little how nobody even mentioned boycotting American made games when they were invading and murdering through the Middle East. Not only that but they bought games that glorified the US military by the truckload.
  • This article really does make me think twice about buying a copy now of Atomic Heart:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/metro.co.uk/2023/02/22/ukraine-asks-xbox-valve-to-ban-atomic-heart-for-alleged-russian-ties-18329780/amp/

If the Ukrainian government doesn't want me to buy it, then that's kind of good enough for me.

COD etc may have glorified America's illegal invasion of Iraq, but I don't see how you can draw parallels between that and the invasion of Ukraine. Russia is deliberately targeting civilian populations in what is tantamount to a war of extermination - hardly the same thing is it?
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    You could always ask the thousands of Afghans/Iraqis/Anyone of a Middle Eastern tinge who got blown to fuck by wayward Yank bombs, missiles and intel I supposed.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Hundreds of thousands died in Iraq. The place is still fucked. There's a parallel. If there's a genuine reason to boycott the game, I will. It's not like it's a must have. One of the reasons seems to be that the developer has not come out and condemned Putin. Which is absurd. I don't think being imprisoned or worse is a risk worth taking to promote your game.
  • I'm not going to be an apologist for an American atrocities on middle-eastern soil, however the Yanks didn't go to the lengths that Russian troops went to in the Ukrainian, namely rounding up truck loads of civilians, tying them up and shooting in the back of the head, using 'portable crematoriums' to destroy the evidence. Oh, and kidnapping kids.

I didn't really want this thread to devolve into such a charged debate, but there is a distinct ickiness that now surrounds Atomic Heart and it makes me feel f****** queasy.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    The US don't target civilians but they don't give a fuck about them either. No qualms about bombing the shit out of Cambodia and Laos, who weren't even involved in their war. But anyway, you're right. Different debate. Get me info about why we shouldn't play this and I'll happily ditch it.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    The Yanks did commit some utterly disgusting, horrific war crimes during Iraq and Afghanistan, including rape, murder, torture etc. But agreed, its not the place for that chat.

• Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Away from that discussion though, game looks stunning.
  • Kow wrote:
    Hundreds of thousands died in Iraq.
    Directly at the hands of US military personnel? No, as a result of the West failing to have a plan for what was going to happen next, leading to chaos on the ground, an ill-judged attempt to nation build.

The wanton slaughter of Ukrainian citizens by a fascist Russian state is on another level entirely.

And they chose to release this game on the one-year anniversary when Putin declared the independence of the breakaway Crimean regions. Coincidence or a malicious f*** you by this Russian backed developer?
  • Sorry Kow, please ignore my last post.

Yeah let's ditch this chat.

Video games not geopolitical discussion.

There's a thread for that.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    "You bought an American game therefore you must support all future awful regimes" is a pretty compelling argument I must say
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    No, I said I find it strange there was no word of boycott of games at that time or after.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    In the space of ten days it appears I have become both a transphobe AND an ally of Ukranian genocide. Will have to update my CV
  • I'm not itching to play either so they're easy decisions for me. I don't fancy my chances of resisting if Kanye West funds a grid tactics Watership Down game though.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I'm not itching to play either so they're easy decisions for me. I don't fancy my chances of resisting if Kanye West funds a grid tactics Watership Down game though.

Lol :D yeah I'm not playing this now, knowing who it's helping. I suppose it's irrelevant now because MS have probably already paid to put it on GamePass, irrespective of how many people play and download it? Or do they portion out money based on who's playing the game?

Also, regarding whataboutism, the Iraq war was 20 years ago, it's never too early to say "no, this is not okay". Things change, attitudes move on, etc.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    In the space of ten days it appears I have become both a transphobe AND an ally of Ukranian genocide. Will have to update my CV

To be fair, a lot of us saw this coming

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!