Atomic Heart - are Russians the bad guys now?
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I hate the term 'whataboutism'. Nothing occurs in a vacuum, similar situations, actions and reactions are relevant and a valid talking point
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    In the space of ten days it appears I have become both a transphobe AND an ally of Ukranian genocide. Will have to update my CV

To be fair, a lot of us saw this coming

I'm just waiting for Trump to release a game so I can complete the trifecta
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I hate the term 'whataboutism'. Nothing occurs in a vacuum, similar situations, actions and reactions are relevant and a valid talking point

Just to repeat here. My point was not whataboutism, it was just to point out that using products or services is not in any way a show of support for any particular regime. Millions and millions of people went out on the streets and protested the Iraq war, then went home and ate their McDonalds or played their videogames. My point was not it was alright then so it's alright now.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    In the space of ten days it appears I have become both a transphobe AND an ally of Ukranian genocide. Will have to update my CV

To be fair, a lot of us saw this coming

I'm just waiting for Trump to release a game so I can complete the trifecta

Just play some Nintendo and support human rights abuses instead. Sorted.
  • I hate the term 'whataboutism'. Nothing occurs in a vacuum, similar situations, actions and reactions are relevant and a valid talking point

Actual whataboutism is legit fucking ultra tiresome bullshit that people do, either deliberately to obfuscate and derail conversation or just because of sheer fucking ignorance. Regarding this convo it's not fucking complicated, if something is wrong and associated things should be boycotted, just do it or disagree and carry on. If people didn't boycott whatever 20 years ago sure bring it up but it shouldn't actually factor into decisions you should be making today. Going "well, people didn't do x back then, this is no different" is just partridgeshrug and a shitty fucking excuse for moral cowardice.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whataboutism

You might want to educate yourself on how whataboutism is being misused today, like how Putin spent an hour the other day in his speech going on and on about how The West did this and that and is to blame for everything including Russia invading Ukraine, it's such an obviously childish and fallacious argument.
  • Every thread is now PSVR2 or this shite is it?
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    So, that PSVR2 eh?
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    But what about the Oculus?
  • Can't wait for the Oculus Pancake to launch.
  • Kow wrote:
    But what about the Oculus?

The Micky Flanagan film?
  • Atomic Heart out out now!
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Can't wait for the Oculus Pancake to launch.

You only have an hour to eat it before it's discontinued.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    Atomic Heart out out now!

I had eeevery intention of not supporting the Russian war effort. But then I got the dreaded flavour.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Kow wrote:

Just to repeat here. My point was not whataboutism, it was just to point out that using products or services is not in any way a show of support for any particular regime. Millions and millions of people went out on the streets and protested the Iraq war, then went home and ate their McDonalds or played their videogames. My point was not it was alright then so it's alright now.

I didn't think it was, which is why I hate the term being bandied around by people who don't understand it.

@Gurt I don't need to educate myself on it at all, you condescending twat. I know what it is and how it's used, and that's not what is happening here. That's why I hate the term, it's become a buzzword for idiots to stifle discussion as some form of automatic win button to hit when people attempt to add context to the situation.

You're right that this conversation isn't complicated, yet you've somehow managed to get it arse about face which has seen you accuse people of moral cowardice and equate Kow's comments here with Putin's propaganda. I mean fuck me gently
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Anyway, the protagonist of the game is a real fucking pain in the ass. I don't think I've ever played a game with such an unlikeable main character. I cannot see any way to change the language to original Russian but keep the subtitles in English.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    You've played a Mario game, right?
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Kow wrote:
    Anyway, the protagonist of the game is a real fucking pain in the ass. I don't think I've ever played a game with such an unlikeable main character.

Discussions about the main character and how unlikable he may or may not be is a tiresome attempt to obfuscate and derail the conversation with whataboutery. Shame on you etc.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    At least Mario shuts up most of the time. This guy just goes on and on and on.
  • In the space of ten days it appears I have become both a transphobe AND an ally of Ukranian genocide. Will have to update my CV
    I heard a rumour that you enjoy kicking puppies in your spare time.
  • @Paul  Not going to shit the thread up further but what I read in the last page does meet the definition and spirit of whataboutery, what exactly was the point of bringing up that people didn't boycott US games or whatever?

If the point was that people didn't take more action back then and that not doing something didn't make a difference, then that's obviously asinine and pointless. If it's charging hypocrisy then that's whataboutist bullshit. "it was just to point out that using products or services is not in any way a show of support for any particular regime" bringing up US wars A through D and that people didn't do shit back then does not make that point, and that argument is dubious regardless as boycotts/protests etc clearly have made a difference with various companies pulling out, sanctions etc. The only good reason to bring up past US wars in this context is to make the point that more could and should have been done to prevent it and how to use those lessons today and consider if doing something like not buying a video game might make a difference however tiny.

I don't actually think people buying this game makes much difference at all, probably. So I'm absolutely not judging anyone who just wants to play shootman game and not worry about the world, or thinks the links to potential harm are too tenous to worry about. Like I agree, it's just that if there's any doubt it's a piece of piss for me to just not bother all things considered. I'm actually a lot more fucked off with how so many conversations about doing something that might be positive for Ukraine end up derailed like this.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    It's not being derailed. It's all part of the same discussion. The problem is that people don't like discussing that part for some reason, and the hoots of whataboutery are a nice easy shorthand for shutting it down. It's misplaced, as was the comparison to Putin's antics, as was your shitty, condescending attitude to what I said
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Again, I'll repeat. I could have picked any other conflict. My point is to say that we do not tend to associate buying products from a country with supporting that regime. We have never done it and we continue not to do it. It's not meant to be an excuse for anything.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Comparing this game and the situation in Ukraine with US games and the invasion of Iraq, and asking why one is okay and the other is not is whataboutism. It meets the definition almost exactly. And if the two situations were similar it would be a perfectly valid point to raise (not discounting the point made that it's not too late to change your behaviour).

These situations aren't the same though. The companies making this game, and generating income from it are (allegedly) owned by entities that are owned by the Russian state, and as such any profits are supporting the Russian regime.

Now, you could make the argument that it's barely any different to giving money to companies that pay corporation tax etc, and that would be a valid criticism.

For my part I'd rather avoid it, not that I think it will have any impact, but I just don't want to even tangentially support Russian institutions.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Christ, I'm not saying one is ok and the other is not. I'm saying we tend to react in these ways usually.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    If he was excusing his decision to buy/play the game then yeah. But he isn't so no.

You can discuss the decisions we make, have made, and will make in the future without batting for the bad guys, Shirley to fucking Christ?
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Kow, I know you weren't saying one is okay and the other isn't. You were asking why there is a reaction to one but not the other.

I think that would be a valid criticism if the situation was similar, but I don't think they are, that's all I was trying to say, and then give my reasons why I'm personally avoiding it. I don't expect anyone else to, and don't think that anyone playing it is endorsing anything.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I wasn't asking. It was a rhetorical question. I know why.
  • I think the best comparison for Iraq would be America's Army, which got a fairly deserved kicking for being a propaganda piece and recruitment tool for the US Army.
  • Kow wrote:
    I wasn't asking. It was a rhetorical question. I know why.

Yup - the reaction to this as a "you're comparing the two" has been mind-boggling.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I'm not sure what the debate is even over at this point. If things are being inferred please just be blunt and spell them out because I think a lot of this discussion is happening at cross purposes.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!