Rowling, Blow & Co. - Does Buying Someone's Game Mean You Endorse Their Bullshit?
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    There's the creator of some web comic who apparently doesn't believe in abortion for religious reasons. Like he doesn't think the state should get involved in prohibiting abortions, wouldn't vote for a particular political party over it but just low-key doesn't believe in it. But it caused a big hoo-haa when people found out. To me that doesn't really cross the line.

I'm not really keen on Letitia Wright's supposed anti-vax views either but it sounds like she comes from quite a tight-knit Black Christian community and you can sort of see how she could have got there. So I wouldn't really consider her cancelled either.

I wouldn't really want to financially support the work of someone I thought was actively making the world a worse place though. I wouldn't touch JK Rowling's work with a bargepole.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • It's the accusation that you are the funding behind the Ukrainian misery that I find off kilter (we should probably leave the comparison; it was off of me to use it to start with).

I get that giving the Bad money in any way can be fairly criticised, but I'm talking about the specific criticism that to do so is actively funding the problem. Which I don't think is the case.
  • I suppose the crux of it is I don't agree with the premise that buying a HP product funds transphobia, which is something I have seen bandied about.
  • I've yet to see Rowling get properly Kanye'd, which is to say major corporations getting the fuck rid of any commercial association with for fear of taint, so she isn't quite nutty and loud enough yet I suppose.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I suppose the crux of it is I don't agree with the premise that buying a HP product funds transphobia, which is something I have seen bandied about.

This is it, really. Otherwise those up in their glorious ivory towers should start making their own clothes and farming their own food.
    Get schwifty.
  • Raiziel wrote:
    I suppose the crux of it is I don't agree with the premise that buying a HP product funds transphobia, which is something I have seen bandied about.

This is it, really. Otherwise those up in their glorious ivory towers should start making their own clothes and farming their own food.

To be fair Rowling has said her royalty cheque means people endorse her views.

Personally I think she is just straight up wrong in that assesment but that quote will drive much of this premise.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I don’t care what she thinks.
    Get schwifty.
  • Neither do I.
    In fact I think a huge part of the problem in much of this stuff is giving weight to celebrity opinions on subjects they have no fucking clue about.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    JK Rowling went public about funding Allison Bailey's (founder of anti-trans hate group LGB Alliance) lawsuit against LGBT charity Stonewall, which was basically aimed at publically discrediting them. God only knows what else she's done in private.
  • Raiziel wrote:

If she posted on twitter something like "all n-words should be killed", you wouldn't care?
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    EvilRedEye wrote:
    JK Rowling went public about funding Allison Bailey's (founder of anti-trans hate group LGB Alliance) lawsuit against LGBT charity Stonewall, which was basically aimed at publically discrediting them. God only knows what else she's done in private.

So fucking what. What’s going on the background when you use gas to heat your home? Or what goes into making the latest iPhone? We’re all cunts for enabling nasty shit. But the new Harry Potter game is where we suddenly draw the line?
    Get schwifty.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    And here’s the thing. It’s fine if you hold these views. But leave the people alone that just want to enjoy a video game that just so happens to take place in Rowling’s intellectual universe.
    Get schwifty.
  • Raiziel wrote:
    I hope everyone with such high and mighty values aren’t also out there treating themselves to Nike trainers and whatnot, because otherwise they really are picking such interesting places to make their moral stands.

Nobody can fight all of the good battles all of the time. That said, the more the better, and taking a stand-  especially when it involves a sacrifice- is always to be commended.
  • I find the reductionist absolutist view to be frankly pathetic. Like, if you’re not a perfect human living the perfect values then you have literally no grounds to argue for things like boycotts and protests against other things you find personally bad

As if all sacrifices are the same (gas v no gas, compared to game v no game), as if all values must be the same, as if any behaviours can be excused because we’re all hypocrites anyway

Self rationalising bullshit
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Raiziel wrote:
    I hope everyone with such high and mighty values aren’t also out there treating themselves to Nike trainers and whatnot, because otherwise they really are picking such interesting places to make their moral stands.

Nobody can fight all of the good battles all of the time. That said, the more the better, and taking a stand-  especially when it involves a sacrifice- is always to be commended.

Okay then. You’re an absolute wanker for heating your home this winter. How dare you contribute to global warming. I’m worried about the world my nephews are going to inherit because right now you’re being irresponsible with your energy usage. I’m taking a stand.
    Get schwifty.
  • Yes you’re dead right people protesting against, say, climate change inactivity by our government and corporate overlords should only be listened to if they have never seen a plane
  • all-or-nothingists got to launder that guilt somehow.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    The problem with pointing to the general machinations of capitalism is that we tolerate these things because they are obfuscated by complexity and difficult to extract ourselves from. The relation between buying a game and the owner of the game's IP is simple and it is easy to extract ourselves from because it is just a video game.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    DrewMerson wrote:
    We are all flawed. But there are levels of flaw. I wouldn’t boycott someone’s work for the level of behaviour that might end up in a post in our ‘101 things’ thread, but I’d be more likely to for criminal behaviour or promotion of hatred.

As ERE pointed to, I also see a difference between personally held views, and using your profile to promote those views.

As for hypocrisy, it’s not realistic to expect me to make my own clothes, grow all of my own food or develop my own heating system for my home. I can make as many ethical choices around that as I can. But that’s the point: we have to find our own paths through this. Some things we have little choice about, but choosing where to source our entertainment is much easier.

In this particular instance, the person in question is sufficiently wealthy that they can continue their hateful path with or without the royalties of this game. But I’d still rather not give her my money. As for why this game is getting all the attention rather than, say, the last Fantastic Beasts film, I think it’s because it’s not just JKR saying that support for this game shows support for her views, but plenty of other transphobes have said the same thing.

It’s fine if you make a stand on this issue. The thing is the rest of us should be left to play the game in peace.
    Get schwifty.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    DrewMerson wrote:
    See my next post.  And take a breath.

I’m perfectly calm, thanks.
    Get schwifty.
  • Raiziel wrote:
    Raiziel wrote:
    Okay then. You’re an absolute wanker for heating your home this winter. How dare you contribute to global warming. I’m worried about the world my nephews are going to inherit because right now you’re being irresponsible with your energy usage. I’m taking a stand.

Yea i actually don't care if you bought the game or not, but i don't think you're entitled to immunity from hearing other people argue against it.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    DrewMerson wrote:
    Raiziel wrote:
    That’s not really coming across in your posts. They read like the final moments of the T1000.

Huh. I didn’t realise that. Thanks for the heads-up.
    Get schwifty.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    DrewMerson wrote:
    Raiziel wrote:
    That’s not really coming across in your posts. They read like the final moments of the T1000.

You don't have to like what he's saying but you don't have to project that shite on him either
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    MattyJ wrote:
    Raiziel wrote:

If she posted on twitter something like "all n-words should be killed", you wouldn't care?

Has she posted that about trans people?
  • Also inferring people’s moods or attitudes On a text based message Board is a bit condescending
    The Forum Herald™
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Has she been involved much in the development of this game by the way? I'm sure I saw something saying she'd had next to nowt to do with it. Seems a shame to punish the people who made it because she's a shit house?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!