Rowling, Blow & Co. - Does Buying Someone's Game Mean You Endorse Their Bullshit?
  • Dunno, perhaps it was the most relevant and recent point of their schooling due to their age? Mine are 14 & 16 and - yay due to smashing middle class parenting we raised ‘em aware of all our social issues from year dot - but A LOT of kids only get this shit from schools. Primary school was all about fairness and inclusion moving on to (admittedly simple) sex and race issues, with the issue of gender identity not really becoming more prominent until year 7 or 8.
  • Quite astonishingly, my daughter took part in a class in Y8 or perhaps 9 about respect and consent and a decent lump of the boys (4 or 5, so 15% of the class but a third of the males) mouthed off with that lovely if they’re dressing like that they’re asking for it attitude. State school mind, but the good one where it makes the houses cost more.
  • It's pretty reasonable to expect young, socially progressive students to be very in tune with the debate about trans (human) rights because it is a natural reaction to the absolutely unhinged, hysterical paranoia of the conservatives and right wing media.

In my generation we were anti war (Afghan, Iraq) and anti racism (Pauline Hanson) because that's what the media and government of the day were in favour of.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • This seems to be primarily a thread about "trans-rights" now. Such a problematic catch-all term for a complex issue.

Another example that I have. Although I love a lot of his music, the Mrs feels very strongly about not playing any music by Michael Jackson in the house. Personally, I can separate the man from the music particularly when listening to earlier work (Thriller and before) where perhaps he wasn't quite the man he became.
  • Although I don't play as much Michael as previously, I think due to the circumstances it's easier to carry on listening really.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Why conflate trans rights with a likely/suspected child abuser?

Edit: it's basically the equivalent of a Godwin's Law
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Because the OP isn't about trans rights. It's about how we feel about work from "questionable" creators.

Rowling isn't an issue for me, so thought I'd use MJ as an example.

Edit: Godwin's Law. Since the OP is about work from questionable creators. Mein Kampf is actually relevant.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Happy to rewatch Rosemary's Baby and Chinatown.  Doesn't make me condone Polanski.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • davyK wrote:
    Happy to rewatch Rosemary's Baby and Chinatown.  Doesn't make me condone Polanski.

Wonder how many Weinstein productions are still in our streaming libraries....
  • davyK wrote:

A counterpoint is that with so many films, albums, books and games media available to choose from, it should be easy to find plenty of alternatives if someone decided to boycott for whatever reason.

Hell, I haven't been inconvenienced once since I stopped buying EA games circa 2012.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    drumbeg wrote:
    Wonder how many Weinstein productions are still in our streaming libraries....

And Pixar (Lasseter).
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Im pressed for time, I have not read the thread beyond the opening post but will circle back. Buying a game based on an IP of someone that you don't agree with is not endorsing the creator's beliefs. I still listen to Michael Jackson. I'm, sure there are Harvey W movies that I'll wind up watching again.
    I think a high percentage of companies/entertainers are scumbags and somewhere during the production pipeline someone is getting shafted. 
    I wont buy something knowingly if misery was used in its production though.  I dont wear Nike and only eat freerange egggs as two simple examples.
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • I'd say a work of art that is a collective endeavour is substantially different to that of an auteur or sole artist being the driving force.
  • I wont buy something knowingly if misery was used in its production though. I dont wear Nike and only eat freerange egggs as two simple examples.

Aye. A much more straightforward issue. Good point.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Even "misery" is too binary for me though. I guess veganism is that if you're including animal misery (and if you're not, why not?). What if the checkout person looks miserable at your local vegan store though? There are margins on everything.

So (at risk of repeating myself) for me it's a case of realising there's a whole plethora of ways you can make minor differences, appreciating they're all worthy, understanding they have varying impacts, being honest that you can't do anywhere near all of them, and hence picking the things that feel right to you / that you have most energy for, and maybe encouraging others to do likewise. And not vilifying those that choose differently (unless they're being dicks about it).
  • I avoid Ubi because I hate that man Yves and their systemic protecting of sexual abusers on his board, and also on a much smaller level have a massive disdain for their formula of game and marketing hype and selling.

Fair fucks to those who want to, mind. Not gonna shoot anyone down for liking a bit of 3rd person gruel.

• What are the actual points of contention in the JKR topic.

* Do women experience DV and deserve improvement in this area? Of course.
    * Are trans people entitled to basic human dignity and to be treated equally? Of course.
    * Does the basic right of an individual to express her views exist? Yes
    * Does the basic right of others to argue and subsequently boycott her works exist? Yes.

If we agree that all these four rights exist, to me it appears that upholding the third one is the only one that can materially cause harm to others, in that it appears that she is campaigning directly against the basic rights of another group.

She can certainly have and express an opinion. I actually admire if and when she has campaigned against domestic violence (she isn't a prominent campaigner in Australia). But the anti-trans lobbying efforts have long since extended to become harmful to others. Intended or otherwise.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Vela wrote:
    A counterpoint is that with so many films, albums, books and games media available to choose from, it should be easy to find plenty of alternatives if someone decided to boycott for whatever reason. Hell, I haven't been inconvenienced once since I stopped buying EA games circa 2012.

That is a point - but there aren't many films that come close to those two.

I would support anyone not watching them for any reason but I wouldn't tolerate being judged if I did watch them.

Re the freerange eggs comment above, that's an opinion I'd share. We don't pay enough for food (as hard as that is to say in these troubled times). Cheap food (and clothes for that matter) has a price we don't pay and I avoid it as much as I can.

The mining for Lithium is something that a great many of us gloss over too.
  • davyK wrote:
    The mining for Lithium is something that a great many of us gloss over too.

In comparison to mining for fossil fuels, it's very much a lesser evil:

FoTYbWHXoBoRVGa?format=png&name=900x900
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Ah - so that's OK then.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Again it's a "pick you battles" thing imo - maybe we can help both, maybe we can proportionally impact the lithium thing more easily than fossil fuels, I have no fucking idea
  • Indeed. I pick my battles. I let others pick theirs. I try not to judge.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Depends on the selection criteria. Inconvenience vs principles.

42FF03CB00000578-4764208-image-a-49_1501965060458.jpg
  • Thata not a lithium problem. It's a mining company problem.

And yes, abhorrent.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Hands being washed.

Supply and demand.  That's going into batteries.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I'm sitting here with my laptop and my smartphone.

I have an order with ebay for a battery for my Volvo key fob.

All very convenient.

I have no clue where that stuff comes from. That's the fact of the situation.  A bit tougher to address than a multi-millionaire's opinion on what constitutes a woman.
  • davyK wrote:
    I'm sitting here with my laptop and my smartphone.

I have an order with ebay for a battery for my Volvo key fob.

All very convenient.

I have no clue where that stuff comes from. That's the fact of the situation.  A bit tougher to address than a multi-millionaire's opinion on what constitutes a woman.

Isn't there a supply chain certification program?
    I'm not denying the image, I'm saying there is at least some existing audit process already. Imperfect, sure.

But it is not isolated to lithium.

Any and all mining minerals will be in some places, dug up by children. That's what I meant.
  • I feel it necessary to add this word.

davyK wrote:
    A bit tougher to address than a multi-millionaire woman's opinion on what constitutes a woman.
  • drumbeg wrote:
    I feel it necessary to add this word.

davyK wrote:
    A bit tougher to address than a multi-billionaire woman's opinion on what constitutes a woman.

Also necessary
  • drumbeg wrote:
    I feel it necessary to add this word.
    davyK wrote:
    A bit tougher to address than a multi-millionaire woman's opinion on what constitutes a woman.

Why?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!