Rowling, Blow & Co. - Does Buying Someone's Game Mean You Endorse Their Bullshit?
  • Was reading the Hogwarts thread and saw the toilet issue raised a little so just felt I would throw this in.

We recetently redid the bathroom set-up in our restaurant. We went from a Mens Bathroom (with 1 cubicle and 2 urinals) and 1 Ladies Bathrooms (3 Cubicles, 1 with changing facilities) to 2 Stand alone cubicles for the men(1 getting a changing facility) and 1 Ladies Bathroom with 2 Cubicles and a seperate lobby. The original plan was to go full non-gender but several ladies on the staff room pointed out that Women do use the lobby part of a bathroom more especially on a night out so we should retain some of that. We have the mens toilets designated male still, but the feeling is that we could easily make these non gender (but then that creates a bit of a weird effect with a seperate womens bathroom). 

I bring this up to highlight that many women still aren't comfortable with the shared concept, for better or worse. There is more to the bathroom experience for Women than Men it would appear (hence why Women tend to go to the bathroom in pairs)

But also switching to no urinals and single cubicles for the mens has been a god send. So much easier to keep clean. If I could I'd make the whole lot unisex but that might need a few more years.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Jon said exactly what I said. No harm in trying.

The harm comes from the idiots chucking labels around like transphobic for those playing the game, or in your case Muzzy, calling people defeatist for thinking it's not going to have any effect. And then making the leap to assume that people are going to think a certain way about everything based on one decision about a video game
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Looking at it as straws on a camel's back is also dumb as fuck. If this game was shite and bombed to such an extent that absolutely no one bought it, trans issues would still be a thing
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I'm glad we agree. Went around the doors with it and there's been a few misrepresentations of my point which meant I've had to clarify and repeat it more than I'd thought I'd have to
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    acemuzzy wrote:
    Jon managing to say things rather more succinctly tab me. Also, it's delusional to think you're going to break a camel's back by putting a single piece of straw in it. Absolutely laughable notion.

No one ever thinks that*. But there's at least the hope that you will share a new detail, and hopefully change at least one mind.
    Spamming is ASBO shit though, and it's a thin line.

I hope KrisG is reading this thread, because while it got painful for a bit, his World Cup campaign, at the very least, made me think about my approach to these things. I separated the football from the politics all too easily.

On the other side of it, his aggression begot (I think the grandma' is correct) aggression, and for that short time, it made the board unpleasant for everyone (whether you liked football or not). It didn't help his argument, but it did not make him wrong either.

I also think this is actually very true:

acemuzzy wrote:
    Hold on lads, maybe there's poo at both ends of the stick

That said, I'm the kind of mug who is keen to hear the alternative view, because in my experience, you can learn a lot from that kind of passion. Even if it's temporary or disagreeable to you.

The 'other side' often seems far slower to resort to insults too. Which is an odd constant to observe.

* Well... I can't be perfectly sure, but unless you find yourself in Greta's position, I'm sure most people realize their words will only travel so far from a random BB. 
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • I let my principles get in the way sometimes. I punched a bloke in the face once for saying "Hawk the Slayer" was rubbish.
    SFV - reddave360
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    An IMDB 5/10 probably isn't the right hill to die on, but interestingly, House Party 2 has the same fucking rating, and somehow, I can imagine getting drawn into a scrap over that too.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Brooks wrote:
    I'd prefer authors in all mediums to not be total shits and am unlikely to endorse them while they can still benefit materially from my consumption, but every so often one just has to admit that some of them just do have chops I appreciate despite. Ariel Pink's a good one for me - preening dumbass IRL, but man can write a pop phrase for days. Led Zep were nonces.

This is roughly where I am. I'd love to pretend that I'm a creature of unflinching principle, but in reality there's a sort of Venn diagram that's made up of "how terrible is the thing I disapprove of?", "how good is the work I would otherwise have wanted?" and most tellingly/depressing of all "To what degree does the issue at hand play into my day to day life?"

Ultimately I haven't bought the Hogwarts game because people I care about genuinely feel hurt by her actions. I suspect if the issue were more abstract to me, I'd be less bothered - which is a slightly disappointing thing to realise about myself, but I don't think I'm alone it.  I have friends with a trans son who used to love Harry Potter and now regards Rowling's views as evidence that there is something fundamentally wrong with his trans nature. It's awful to see. Equally I can't help but feel that a lot of the rhetoric echoes that aimed at homosexuals when I was a kid, and I had hoped we'd moved on from that shit. (At least one of my children is gay, and so, yeah, again I feel it more personally than I might otherwise.)

Like most of you, I don't for a second assume that someone who chooses to buy or play the game is "anti-trans". I suspect most haven't thought about it much, and the majority that have, find it lands slightly differently in their personal Venn diagram. Which is fair enough. And, yeah, what difference does one person make?  (Though, of course, if all of them chose not to buy it...)

I'm not sure I even have that much issue with people who agree with Rowling in broad terms. It's a really complex nuanced issue that has been widely expressed in terms that are anything but - by both sides. I can't claim to have entirely wrapped me head around it all, despite it literally being part of my job. However Rowling isn't just another person I happen to disagree with - she's loud, influential and persistent in her views, with seemingly little tolerance for other perspectives (despite her occasional claims to the contrary).  If nothing else it's only right that an equally loud voice appears in opposition to hers, and sadly it seems that the release of the game is one of the few opportunities to do that.

(Also, I have now googled Ariel Pink and can absolutely see why you'd be conflicted on that one...)
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    My point was never that the whole issue wasn't worth pursuing. My point was that pursuing it by abusing people playing a video game is dumb.

I'll probably spend the rest of my life clarifying this incredibly simple point that everyone agrees with because people also tie it in with a different point that I'm not making. Mad as fuck this, innit?
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Well it certainly reads like that when people respond to a point I'm making with a counter to a point I'm not making. How am I supposed to tell it's not directed at me?
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Feels weird because the not all men argument literally felt like it was coming at me every time I said the ones dishing out abuse were in the wrong. As if I was tarring everyone arguing for trans issues in with the cranks, which definitely wasn't my intention
  • People who opppsed this https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/tavistock-scandal-gender-clinic-puberty-blockers-nhs-investigation-ghrqxk8pn … are brave and admirable actually and I think it’s wrong that we’re using Rowling as an example.

And if you’re thinking, ‘it’s in the Times’… yeah probably because none of the left wing papers will cover this sort of thing. Multiple female journalists at the guardian have been effectively hounded out for daring to speak up about this.
    GT: Knight640
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Nate's just discovered Hogwarts Legacy via YouTube. Typical fucking Gamer couldn't just stick to Fortnite, could he?

He immediately said he wants it, despite not being a HP fan or even watching the films. I'm going to wait and see if he brings it up again. Maybe ask him if he wants to watch the films first. I'm not going to bring up old JK with him. Don't think a nine year old is ready for that type of palaver.

Typical Gamer started the video by saying he's not much of a HP fan either. I don't think I've ever seen him play anything but Fortnite either, although he grinds my gears so I've never paid too much attention. Got to wonder if the controversy hasn't turned this game into a bigger thing than it otherwise would have been, every fucker jumping on the bandwagon to get that sweet viewer boost?

Anyway the sound on his video is fucked so Nate's turned it off now. See what happens next with it
  • Knight wrote:
    People who opppsed this https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/tavistock-scandal-gender-clinic-puberty-blockers-nhs-investigation-ghrqxk8pn … are brave and admirable actually and I think it’s wrong that we’re using Rowling as an example.

And if you’re thinking, ‘it’s in the Times’… yeah probably because none of the left wing papers will cover this sort of thing. Multiple female journalists at the guardian have been effectively hounded out for daring to speak up about this.

I don't know enough of the subject to argue this, but a quick Google shows that at least the guardian has a few articles about Tavistock. They just appear to be balancing the story because they are not a right wing paper, like the times.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • I would consider not buying a product if I felt strongly enough about the values of the people involved.

In terms of Rowling and this Blow guy. Not sure there is enough there for me to get upset about. In fact, I'd be more likely to back Rowling, as I think she is simply a victim of cancel culture. 

If Hitler released a game, I wouldn't buy it.
  • Good to know hitler is where you draw the line
  • I mean, never say never right. If it's a great game, it's a great game.
  • If it's anything like his paintings you can expect a middling retro platformer at best.
  • The only people who seem to really eat shit that sticks re: 'outrageous conduct' without much in the way of Due Process are small figures within the fairly small audiences they otherwise rely on for sustenance. Precarious content grunts - a  handsy indie musician or podcaster or webcomic artist or marginal academic, whatever. Not Dave Chappelle. To be properly erased at that tier you literally need to be a flagrant sex criminal of many years at least.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Aye even the flasher is making a comeback on the ol' comedy circuit
  • Which of course suggests to me that mayber, calibrate response to bad behaviour according to clout. If it's a megastar, go nuts, scream bloody murder, it cannot matter. If it's the guy you chuck a Patreon fiver at every so often for nice videos about potmaking, probably at least wait for them to pop out a contrite tweet before calling their dayjob with Important Information.
  • The actually scariest and meaningful Cancellation is like, critics of Israeli domestic and foreign policy or whistleblowers of appalling industrial malfeasance getting absolutely smothered, where you have a craven institution or series of institutions keeping the a lobby sweet.
  • DrewMerson wrote:
    …a victim of cancel culture.
    Ah, yes, I wondered why she’d gone quiet on twitter, never shows up in news articles, the HP books had disappeared off the shelves, Sky didn’t lead their Christmas movie campaign with the latest FB film, and finally Hogwarts Legacy has had no coverage, with the scant reviews it has had being negative.

You may have to expand...or not! Either way, I think it's a diversion from the wider point.
  • He's basically wondering why you think she's a victim of cancel culture considering everything he listed.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!