Rowling, Blow & Co. - Does Buying Someone's Game Mean You Endorse Their Bullshit?
  • drumbeg wrote:
    I feel it necessary to add this word.
    davyK wrote:
    A bit tougher to address than a multi-millionaire woman's opinion on what constitutes a woman.
    Why?

If you don't think it's relevant that she is a woman, then it's not worth me trying to explain.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Probably take that to the misogyny thread though (or whichever thread)?
    This is mostly just cancel culture, and not specifics, right?
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • DrewMerson wrote:
    That sounds more like you can’t explain.

I don't think I can without sounding utterly ridiculous to be honest. Sometimes it's best to just move on!
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    I know, Andy. Things are much different in Holland though, as you can well imagine.
  • To go back to mining, the point of posting that graph was to show just how much more mining there is of fossil fuels than there is lithium.

It's a favoured talking point of the industry to get people talking about lithium mining, without letting on how much they are doing themselves. And its not like conditions are any better, with it still employing children as well.

If you were to stop all fossil fuel mining, and increase lithium mining tenfold, you'd still have a massive total reduction. So even without addressing conditions, that's a net reduction in harm.

Of course, the companies this is being mined for should be addressing these conditions as well.
  • tin_robot wrote:
    Knight wrote:
    People who opppsed this https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/tavistock-scandal-gender-clinic-puberty-blockers-nhs-investigation-ghrqxk8pn … are brave and admirable actually and I think it’s wrong that we’re using Rowling as an example. And if you’re thinking, ‘it’s in the Times’… yeah probably because none of the left wing papers will cover this sort of thing. Multiple female journalists at the guardian have been effectively hounded out for daring to speak up about this.

OK, let's talk about the Tavistock.

I'll spoiler, because this will be long...
    Spoiler:

This was great, thanks Tin

• acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    drumbeg wrote:
    Indeed. I pick my battles. I let others pick theirs. I try not to judge.

I think there's a difference between
    - "judging" - ie assuming you're right, they're wrong, they're an idiot for thinking different to you, and hence looking down at / talking down to them
    - debating - ie questioning why those are the battles they've chosen, exploring motives, sharing other battles (eg lithium), encouraging to do more

I think this thread is more the latter than the former?
  • DrewMerson wrote:
    cancel culture
    *rage intensifies*

I dont know why you get enraged by this.

Is it just the more right side of the media/ politicol divide making it a bigger and more effective thing than it is?
    SFV - reddave360
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I don't understand what "more effective" means there.

"Cancel culture" is basically a term used to describe a thing that doesn't exist, to de-legitimize responses to people who are dicks.
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    I don't understand what "more effective" means there. "Cancel culture" is basically a term used to describe a thing that doesn't exist, to de-legitimize responses to people who are dicks.

But it does exist. I dont even think its new thing (or in some cases a bad thing)

Taken as a basic, its a form of protest given a new term. 

Is it effective? Rarely, if the target is big enough it might even be effective to appeal to a different audience. 

The funny thing is, the Right are just as into it, maybe even more so.
    SFV - reddave360
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Cancel culture as a phrase is the new “political correctness gone mad”. It’s used extensively by the right to delegitimise any kind of progressiveness in society. What these people who scream they have been cancelled to their 1m+ followers on social media or on their news show on broadcast media is really people have pulled us up on saying or acting the cunt and I don’t like it so I’m going to claim I’ve been cancelled. If something does happen it’s not usually because of people calling em on it, it will be because it’s bad for business (advertising gets pulled etc.) but they are the usually back to the same old shit on another channel.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    RedDave2 wrote:
    But it does exist.

Can you point at some examples, please? Where (a) the cancelled person no longer has a voice, and (b) the cancellation wasn't a response to something that person did? (I don't think it has meaning as a phrase if you can let either of those things not apply; saying Rowling had been "cancelled" is a bit lol, for example.)
  • I wish all these people who were cancelled actually were, then I wouldn't have to fucking hear from them all the time.

Djf-zdQUYAAhPkQ.jpg:large
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    But it does exist.
    Can you point at some examples, please? Where (a) the cancelled person no longer has a voice, and (b) the cancellation wasn't a response to something that person did? (I don't think it has meaning as a phrase if you can let either of those things not apply; saying Rowling had been "cancelled" is a bit lol, for example.)

Not going to answer your points because I dont think they fit. No-one says it completely takes away a persons voice. Its mainly been used when someone in public has said/ done something pretty offensive that they should be held accountable on. In some cases it might take away someones ability to earn or work as they had been (lets say weinstein, spacey, O'reily) - but in the modern day where we can all go public with facebook, instagram, google, twitter etc. there's very little chance of someone getting "Cancelled" in the way you describe. Even those booted from Twitter can turn up on any number of channels. And as I'll detail below for (b) I think in most cases the "cancellation" was more than justified

Thats why I dont see it as a bad thing as such. I'm sure there are a few cases where the response was maybe ott (a-la James Gunn getting pulled from GOTG3 for offensive tweets 8 years before the movie was hired) but most seem quite fair - take Joss Whedons behaviour on set to numerous female actors. He has had to step back and hopefully genuinely reasses how he acted. 

As I said earlier, I'm not sure it works the way some people think and I do agree with Boris in that the right has  turned it into a new form of "PC gone mad" or "you cant say anythng these days" But thats always going to exist. 

So yeah, I dont see why people pretend its not a "thing". I actual think in many cases its been a good thing.

Edit : as a response to the post by dante - this proves both points though - one is that yes, a person can have one form of communcaition taken away because of what they have said (so one aspect of their output is cancelled because of what they said) , but also it shows that cancelling someone may not actually achieve anything other than highlighting to some what a dick the person is. This idea that is silences people is BS and comes from the right - if you get enraged by that you are just taking the bait. 

To give it an alternative angle - when the likes of Piers Morgan were saying Marcus Rashford should stick to football a few years back instead of speaking out on poverty, they were  trying to cancel him in that regard. They should have been called out on this more.
    SFV - reddave360
  • So to put it another way then Dave, it's the consequences of their actions?
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    But you're describing a thing that isn't "cancel culture", per the definition that folk use it in. So I'm not sure that proves that "it does exist".

Unicorns do exist, they just don't have horns. Ok.
  • So to put it another way then Dave, it's the consequences of their actions?

Never said it wasn't. Like I say, I dont get why Drew always gets so made or why Ace says its not a thing. In my limited view it is a thing, its nearly always justified (even with the James Gunn stuff, the tweets are awful, I just think Disney should have looked at that before hiring him for Guardians 1) and the right should not be let make it out to be some bad thing. Yes, Mob rule isnt a good thing but I'd struggle to think where it has not had some merit.
    SFV - reddave360
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    DrewMerson wrote:
    I know, Andy. Things are much different in Holland though, as you can well imagine.
    I’m sorry, you’ve lost me.

Then...

DrewMerson wrote:
    Then stop calling it ‘cancel culture’, Dave. Nobody is cancelled, it’s not a culture. By your own admission. Calling it ‘cancel culture’ helps perpetuate the myth that people are ever ‘cancelled’, and there are people out there who actually believe it is a thing in the face of all of the evidence to the contrary.

^ This. X'D

Just having a giggle at your pedantry, bruh.

But being absolutely serious though, I appreciate it. Even at times when I don't agree with you (not saying this is one of those times, just wanted to give credit where it's due).
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I'm not sure calling it "mob rule" is particularly helpful either, fwiw
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Vela wrote:
    I'm sitting here with my laptop and my smartphone. I have an order with ebay for a battery for my Volvo key fob. All very convenient. I have no clue where that stuff comes from. That's the fact of the situation.  A bit tougher to address than a multi-millionaire's opinion on what constitutes a woman.
    Isn't there a supply chain certification program? I'm not denying the image, I'm saying there is at least some existing audit process already. Imperfect, sure. But it is not isolated to lithium. Any and all mining minerals will be in some places, dug up by children. That's what I meant.

I know what you (and @Diluted_Dante) mean and I'm sure there is an audit trail re supply chains but profit and what the hunt for it does to certain people make me pretty uneasy about it.  And yeah - I'm picking on lithium - but that's because of the love with battery tech in particular and there seemingly being no end to the appetite for it - and its part in green tech. Commercial forces being what they are will result in abuse.

And. Wasn't clever enough to make the connection earlier,  but battery powered devices are the primary tool for campaigning about things.  There is an irony there.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Can't believe i get to read through 20 pages across two threads and absorb all the takes in one, gluttonous sitting.

Fucking great stuff.

I hope you've all been good little progressives, etc.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Gina Carano is a good example of someone being cancelled.

She had a big role in a Star Wars show, and was expected to be getting her own spin-off.

She was harassed online for months about not having pronouns in her bio on twitter, so eventually put beep/boop/bop

She then did whatever the instagram equivalent of a retweet is on a post saying that the persecution of Jews in Germany didn't just start with soldiers in the streets, it was the Nazis convincing the public that their neighbours were against them. Then  it said that it's no different to hating your neighbours just for holding different political beliefs to you.

This somehow made her public enemy number one, and she lost her Star Wars gigs, and hasn't had any standard Hollywood gigs since.

Her entire career path was ruined over nothing.

b25lY21zOmY3ZDYyNjFhLThiNGItNDg0MS1iZmIwLTQyZmRiYWU5NmJhNDo3ZWU5YTA4NS04OWU4LTQ5OWQtOGI5YS0wYTJiNDkyMjc4NTk=.jpg?quality=65&smart&width=990

Her co-star Pedro Pascal directly posted this:

2020.11.08-03.26-boundingintocomics-5fa76574a0c43-e1604806028271.jpg?resize=696%2C1242

No repercussions whatsoever for him for directly comparing Republicans who voted for Trump to the Confederates and Nazis.
  • Her lack of any roles since might possibly explained by her refusal to adhere to masking and Covid vaccine requirements.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Roujin wrote:
    Can't believe i get to read through 20 pages across two threads and absorb all the takes in one, gluttonous sitting.

Fucking great stuff.

I hope you've all been good little progressives, etc.

Nice to see you
  • Her lack of any roles since might possibly explained by her refusal to adhere to masking and Covid vaccine requirements.

Yeah I thought she went full anti vax?
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    She's also a terrible actor so *shrug*

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!