The Dark Knight Rises for the last time... (Spoilers as well if you like)
  • He would have said his lines but almost certainly it was always going to be dubbed. The voice was adjusted in post (even the first voice we heard).

Makes sense to dub it if not his voice will need to be pulled out from the other characters in the recordings.
    equinox_code "I need girls cornered and on their own"
  • MattyJ wrote:
    Well I assume he actually delivered his lines while filming so sound must be able to get out?

Don't forget that all scenes filmed in IMAX are overdubbed because you can't record dialogue whilst filming IMAX. So that's an hour of the film nearly over dubbed, not just Bane.
  • I've exaggerated it, but it is difficult as it is lod and has a short shot load length.  

From this article How The Dark Knight went IMAX
    We found ways and we planned ways of getting around for example, the short load-times which is you know, we would just swap one camera for another when it ran out of film and that kind of thing,” explained director Christopher Nolan. “Generally with action sequences which is mostly what we were shooting you really rarely roll for more than ten seconds for example so it tends not to really be a factor. Shooting a dialog scene with an IMAX camera would be a bigger challenge because of the noise of the camera and the short length of the loads and so forth but we got better and better at it, we had a terrific crew, a lot of our camera mounts and things were 35 millimeter they were ones they’re built to withstand enormous abuse, so they can take the weight of a much larger camera
  • It must be distracting for the actors. Also its got to be difficult for the director to know he got the performance when you're getting half visually and then the audio 2nd.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Saw this in IMAX today. I admired rather than liked the previous two but really enjoyed this one. I left wanting a fourth film. Leave 'em wanting more, as they say.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Yar, but they already said they won't give all characters there own film, they don't want to follow the marvel route,  they want things to be grittier.

A gritty Wonder Woman? Good lord. If any character need to follow the Marvel template it's her. Id Warner have any sense whatsoever, the second Joss Whedon isn't contractually barred from making another comic book film they will throw piles of money at him to make Wonder Woman.

Anyway, I enjoyed this, but thought it could be better.
  • I thought Whedon already wrote a Wonder Woman script that they turned down. I thought I read that that was going to be his super hero movie and then I guess they bumped him up to The Avengers.
  • wonder woman was filmed last year wasnt it? Was it cancelled? I saw a few pictures of the costume. It looked riddick.
  • three1ne wrote:
    wonder woman was filmed last year wasnt it? Was it cancelled? I saw a few pictures of the costume. It looked riddick.
    Think there may have been some tv series mooted.
  • There was a shitty TV pilot that didn't get picked up.

Yes, Whedon wrote a Wonder Woman script that the studio didn't like. After seeing The Avengers they're probably kicking themselves.
  • Went into this cold last night only knowing that it was Batman, Bane and Catwoman, having avoided every review, still and any other piece of info on plot or anything else.  Was utterly blown away.  The high-point of an extremely high quality trilogy, there is literally nothing about this film that I didn't like.  The most faithful adaptation of a comic book character ever put on screen, nods to semi-obscure moments of Batman-lore, brilliant ending, phenomenal action set-pieces, great acting, a great villain, a minor twist that  I didn't see coming and everything this Batman obsessive could ever want from a film.

Loved it, loved it, loved it.

Also, my first IMAX film.  IMAX owns.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • I watched inception again the other day. Hard to fathom that Eames is bane.
  • The Grauniad feels the same way about Bane's death as I do, my rage is vindicated, hurrah!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/filmblog/2012/aug/23/good-evil-batman-obey-rules
  • I agree about Bane's death but not No Country for Old Men as said in the article. Mucho differento.

I mean The Dark Knight sets itself up as this whole thing of Batman being shown to be outmatched and weak and then he rebuilds himself and is going to prove that he is once again tough and he almost does and then he doesn't and you wonder why you've been duped out of what seemed to be the focus of the movie by something that isn't really winked at all during the film.
  • Article reads like the angry rant of an internet person (like what I'm prone to) not a proper Guardian article.
  • adkm1979 wrote:
    Article reads like the angry rant of an internet person (like what I'm prone to) not a proper Guardian article.

Yep, although there are valid points. Mate of mine has a theory that DC didnt want Bane to be conclusively dead so they can maybe use him again if they wish. Hence its only a quick shot of him taking a hit. Not sure I agree with him but it is pretty unsatisfactory either way.
    SFV - reddave360
  • In fairness they did it with Two Face as well.  Made him fall 10 feet and said he was dead.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • On his face I think, got a nasty infection that finished him off.
  • I finally saw this last knight. I must say, I was impressed with the film in general. I wasn't completely blown away like in TDK with the performances. I left feeling that everything ended satisfactorily and that Nolan in general produced a series of work that he can be proud of.  as for the various characters, there was a mixture of disappointment to joy. I felt that some of the screen time for certain people was terrible but then they did put a massive cast to play with.

Overall.
    Its clear that Nolan struggled with what to do next with the story after the loss of Heath Ledger.
     IMO the film needed some kind of big character to make it work and to explain who was behind the planning in TDK( clearly not the Joker afaik). I felt he almost went back to the drawing board to take another angle.

I like that he borrowed elements from 'The Cult' in terms of the gang based in the sewers and I saw scope for having Bane breaking Batman both psychologically as well as physically in a similar vein to this story. 
    I'm not sure as to why he felt the reason to have things start 8 years after TDK. 
    I suppose it gave him the chance the to show that Bruce was now a retired broken man, unsure what direction he was to go after hanging up the cape.  It would have been nice to know if he had stopped shortly after the end of TDK or if it was only in the last couple of years. I guess it gives Nolan the option to have a film to fill in these years if he wants and show how Bruce got to the stage he was at. 

In the comic Bane breaks him by making him face all the key villains before  making his move.  Here it seemed he was very close to being broken already, and his attitude was almost a 'once more for old times sake'  rather than the driven Batman we had previously seen.   

On the subject of Bane. they made him the dumb muscle once again. There was not the slightest hint of the intelligence Bane was meant to have, or the drive for him to destroy and break Batman. Bane was actually split into 2 characters for the film for me. Talia fulfilling the calculative planning part of Bane that should have been present. Hardy did an amazing job with what he was given. But there was not much difference for me with this Bane and the Batman and Robin one. Harsh, but Killer Croc could have been in Bane's place and it wouldn't have made the slightest difference for me.  I would have removed Talia, kept the storyline back to the comic Bane. 
     Nolan wanted a twist and I felt he manufactured it. He then played us by dismissing Bane as just another goon in the manner he was killed, pushing us that he was just a pawn, what he did was for love. He was following Talia's plan all along, protecting her by keeping her out of the spotlight and being the 'bad guy'. It just didn't work for me and what I would have liked to see. Then they had to take her out in a rather badly acted death scene. Pity really. 

Anne Hathaway was excellent. nuff said. 

I love the last 10 minutes. Whether Alfred imagined seeing Bruce or not, he is alluded that he believes that he has now 'moved on' and found peace. Do I think Bruce used the auto pilot? Yes.  Does Alfred know about Selena to picture her with him? No.. It's just more Nolan ambiguity really so we can believe what we want. 

Blake as Batman/Robin/Nightwing - there is a part of me that would see this film if it was made. I liked the Blake character. I would like to see how they would progress it. It was a solid turn from Gordon, hats off to him.  Part of me was like 'wow' when the platform was rising below him. 

All in all. really enjoyed it. some story issues for this comic book fan but would see it again.  

Thread closed.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • It would have been nice to know if he had stopped shortly after the end of TDK or if it was only in the last couple of years.
    I'm sure at one point someone says the last time Batman was seen was the night Harvey Dent died.
  • Must have slipped in the shower and knackered his knee then.
  • His knee cartilage was buggered from his time as Batman.
  • I know that. He clearly hasn't showered.
  • Watched this for a 2nd time tonight. Enjoyed it even more than the first time. I appreciated the pacing more, everything seemed to have worked better for me this time around. 1st time seemed like they were cramming everything in too quickly. That said, it could still have been split into two films.

The ending really isnt ambiguous in the slightest. He survives. That is as clear as day.

Edit - Also, a whole load of the fighting is out of focus. Thought it might have just been my eyes the first time round but it wasnt. There are some clear tracking shots that lose focus completely. Very jarring. Assume its the imax shit.
  • Anyone want to see it at Imax London with me? I'm thinking I'll go sometime this week. I saw it at a regular cinema but can't pass up seeing the proper Imax shots as I remember them being rather impressive in TDK
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Late to the motherfuckin partay:

Well this was weak. Very weak. Bane, I mean come on what the fuck. Mask stuck in, man can still consume what appears to be 20k fucking calories a day to keep up that cocking build. Annoying voice, no presence. I felt nothing in regards to him as a bad guy. Sure, he had bulk and , eerr, what the fuck else? Just shoot him in the head (omg we can't BATMAN ETHICS! LET EVERYONE ELSE DIE BECAUSE I REFUSE TO USE A GUN), and you're done.

Hathaway was enjoyable, if kinda fucking useless. The reveal of Talia, well by fuck did I not care. And then she just stabs him and legs it, oohh thrilling. A fucking bomb chase, seriously? Then as he's set to fly off and dispose of the fucking thing to save everybody, he has to stop and kiss Hathaway and have a bit o'banter with Oldman. Fuck off.

So much filler for which I didn't care, the whole being in a mystical, hell on Earth pit for most of the fucking film, moaning in pain while some old sage geez waffles on about stuff I don't care about.

Anyway, the stadium imploding was good.

6, at best.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Would've been much better if they had Hawking playing Bane, have him bulk up and pulling wheelies of doom.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!