Final Fantasy - General
  • True, I was a mess of emotions then anyway and Aeris sent me over the edge. I'm not sure I ever fully recovered.

XII was a strange one, the combat was great but the entire experience left me feeling a bit cold. I didn't like any of the characters apart from Balthier, actively despised Vaan and the story took a major nosedive after about the 3/4 point. Political intrigue set aside for yet another bullshit possession.

*This thread is moving!

@Jon Yeah, Hero Drink made you invincible, Griever's cheap uber attack was decimating me until I tried using those.
  • Yeah, I felt the story was actually pretty cool and liked the ensemble nature of the cast, except for Vaan obviously, but I get the feeling they realised they were coming to the end of the game without a viable massive end boss which is why the last section was quite typical of FF.
  • I was surprised they were allowed to use Darth Vader though.

Vaan must be the worst FF character ever. He's like Raiden's more androgynous younger sibling. I don't even remember why he was involved.
  • I vote Tidus as one of the worst and most annoying. I didn't mind Vaan too much, and XII possibly is my favourite FF.

Thread is indeed moving fast! Listening to the music of VII last night reminded me of how much I loved that game. But I just can't see myself going back to random battles.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • I am very bored at work and have a rather large amount of my memory clogged up by FF stuff, which is rather annoying. Tidus was a bit of a drip, I think he levelled out eventually though.
  • Tidus saved himself with me for his reaction to Yuna's proposed fate.
  • FFX, though, remains the only (J)RPG that I have played twice in a row, back to back. I had finished uni and was looking for a job to no avail, so I spent a lot of time gaming. I completed it in 70 hours or so without doing too much side quests or grinding. Then I played it again for around 130 hours, getting up to Dark Magus Sisters somehow and failing miserably (used the guide a bit to help me).

I think the reason why I played it twice also had to do with the "twist". Playing through again is like watching Usual Suspects for a second time knowing what you now know. Sublt indications of what is to come or why something is happening etc.
  • Lets raise a glass to tears shed, teeth grit, and fists pumped to FF plot points.

I remember ye well, magnificent 16 year old Tempy.
  • CHEERS!

(Bring back the battle system from XII, though, for Christ's sake Squeenix, or at least an evolved version)
  • It was the best of times, it was the worst of times.
  • It was the blurst of times.

I quite like XIII's battle system, felt it the logical evolution of XII's
  • Yeah, XIII's was awesome. In fact. its what kept me going mostly. I really enjoyed the battles.
  • I think a halfway house between 12 and 13 would be my ideal.
  • I'd rather play Dirge of Cerberus. Or Chocobo's Mystery Dungeon. Or Cooking Mama with Quina.
  • Halfway house between VI/VII and XII/XIII would be ideal. What I mean is story and charactes of the first two with battle and weapon systems etc (i.e. gameplay) of the latter two.
  • It's frustrating how long they've taken to come out in recent years too, weren't 7, 8 and 9 out within 3/4 years? X wasn't long after either.
  • Take longer to develop nowadays I guess.
  • They have to be 'showpiece' now in terms of graphics and presentation don't they. I often hear that it's one of the main reasons they aren't doing a VII remake - would take too long to redraw all the assets and/or import it into their new engine.
  • Still, you'd think a remake of VII would be worth it, pretty much a licence to print money.
  • Maybe they are scared of it looking like a 2012/13 game, but playing like a game from the 90s. Might be a bit jarring. Things have moved on I suppose.
  • Yeah but it'd still sell bucketloads. Square surely aren't worried about tarnishing it's legacy with the amount of turgid spin-offs they've released over the years.
  • It's funny how people love the battle system in XIII now but it wasn't loved when it first came out!

Nearly done 100% on XIII-2 now, just a little bit left to do. I say a little, I need to fight every single monster in the game for my beastiary, and I'm missing 32 of them.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    RE: Stupid super-bosses, I guess at least these days you can separate them from the content for normie by not including them as Achievements/Trophies or by adding them as DLC. Then it's not like "Oh, I've spent 120 hours playing this game but there's this stupid thing stopping me from feeling like I've completed it properly".
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • That is a silly feeling to have though.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    [Shakes fist].
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • You are talking to a man who has invested nearly 100 hours into Dark Souls with four saves but still hasn't finished the game.
  • Little Franklin
    Show networks
    PSN
    LittleFranklin
    Steam
    Little Franklin

Send message
    I did enjoy the battles in XIII (the bits I played that is) but I'm against any system where you can't control all the actions of your characters, so I didn't really like XII either. I guess my ideal battle system would be X, actually no, my ideal would be Tactics, but I guess that doesn't really count.

Was really disappointed in the story for XII. It seemed like it could have been brilliant, but by the end I had virtually no idea what any of the characters personalities or motivations were, this especially goes for Venat the god dude helping the main bad guy, he seemed really interesting and I knew nothing about him.
  • Little Franklin
    Show networks
    PSN
    LittleFranklin
    Steam
    Little Franklin

Send message
    One good thing about FFX was it made you use all the characters equally. In the other games I always pick my main 3-4 and stick with them through the whole game letting my other characters wallow, useless, in the low levels, which makes them seem unimportant to the story.

IX is my favourite.
  • Although as you only got XP when you used them in every battle I had to make sure I changed people in.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!