Work - The pros and the cons...
  • davyK wrote:
    An awful lot of my work time is spent on Teams calls. Quite often with several people in a 3x3 grid. Feels like being in the opening credits of The Brady Bunch or a guest on Celebrity Squares.

Most Tuesdays I'm usually in meetings from 9.30am to 6pm, with anything from 5 to 30+ people. Other days I'll normally have between 3 and 8 meetings or so. Finding time to do 'work' is the problem, but I guess my work now is being in the meetings so I know what's going on on a wider project basis.
  • Occasionally I have to do a bit in a 200+ person video call. Just have to forget it's that many people and roll with it, otherwise I'd probably clam up :sweating:
  • I'm so glad I dont have to use that shit.
  • I enjoy TEAMS. Means I have a legitimate tool for communicating with my colleagues and working collaboratively without having to actually be in the same place or even leave my house.
    Happy to use it forever
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I might do a Hackathon on Teams.

My priority will be to integrate the ability to have it make you look like a cat.
  • We use Slack for calls.
    I dont think I've been on a call with more than 3 other people yet.
    I really like the company ethos at the place, there's an emphasis on people just getting on with their shit and only being in meetings or email chains if they really need to be.
  • I enjoy TEAMS. Means I have a legitimate tool for communicating with my colleagues and working collaboratively without having to actually be in the same place or even leave my house.
    Happy to use it forever

I like teams enough. Its not perfect but it works. Would love to move the senior managers chat groups to teams but they want to keep it on whatsapp which is really annoying because im in sevreral whatsapp groups through residents association and daughters activities so im always seeing the notifications even when im off.
    SFV - reddave360
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    You should tell them that WhatsApp group messages aren't secure and they should switch to teams to maintain infosec.
  • You should tell them that WhatsApp group messages aren't secure and they should switch to teams to maintain infosec.

No one gives a toss over the convenience of whatsapp and to be fair, we arent using company phones so i cant force them to install teams. Or signal.

SFV - reddave360
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Teams is really rather good now. As usual MS work on something until it gets very good. It's in the sweet spot right now. No doubt they will overload it with shit as time goes on but for now it's fine. And there's a suite of 3rd party apps that work with it too for things like polls etc. Its integration with the MS stack is excellent too for collab work on docs, spreadsheets etc. It works great with Sharepoint too for sharing content, sidebar chat streams etc.

The app is free and you can use guest access for those without M365 accounts.

Corporately we have to tolerate use of other platforms for meetings. If another org is hosting a meeting and has a corp account for Zoom, webex etc then that's OK but we have been able to enforce the use of Teams for anything we host.

I've used Teams, Zoom, Webex since lockdown. To be honest, Teams is my pick now.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Have they patched in the ability to quote a message in the texty part yet.?
    That essential basic functionality in my opinion.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • Hate presenting through Teams. Can't see the audience, so nothing to focus on and no idea if my humour lands. For normal meetings it's fine.

I like Zoom for its airbrushing feature, especially for first thing in the morning meetings. If I woke up 5 minutes ago, I'm gonna need some help looking alert. Its background replacements also work better.

Our corporate platform is Google Meets but we use whatever is easiest for who we're meeting with.
  • Teams is really good now.  Hands, I thought Teams most recent update added a better presentation mode if it's using PowerPoint?  I'm sure there's a way to specifically share a presentation rather than just share a screen, and it works pretty well.
  • Maybe, haven't tried it for a while. Will have to next month though so hopefully it's there now.
  • Tomorrow will be my first paid holiday since 2014.
    Feels like I'm cheating the system somehow.
  • Heh. Enjoy it mate! I think my last paid holiday was in...
    Spoiler:
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Haha.
    Yeah will do mate.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    g.man wrote:
    Heh. Enjoy it mate! I think my last paid holiday was in...
    Spoiler:

Read the middle two digits the other way round and still thought it sounded plausible :p
  • We’ve started making plans for returning to the office/studio. Not that I ever want to, but I have to consider that we can’t work remotely forever. It’s fine for us old folks but unfair on people earlier in their careers - you can’t learn the ropes without watching more experienced colleagues work beside you.

Good result: we’re planning permanent hybrid working. Three days a week with everyone in the studio for collaboration, two days a week with everyone working from home for concentration.

Bad result: we’re starting three weeks from now. I don’t wanna.
  • Not to worry. I'm sure you'll be snowed-in soon anyhoo.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Slowly realising he isn't taking about cocaine fuelled weekends :(
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Just had second interview, presentation etc.
    Big curveball halfway through, based my presentation around my previous work which was primarily phone only to be told this company is primarily email and live chat.

Thought on my feet and it fucked half my slides but went as well as it could I think. They openly agreed with a fair few points and the brand manager seemed into some of my ideas.

Let's see anyway.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Most of the people I’ve hired into a majority email-based support role have had most of their experience on the phone. Don’t worry about it too much, the things that they’ll be looking for aren’t likely to be things that are exclusive to email interactions.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Fingers crossed for you!
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Cheers guv, got the vibe they were wanting something different but always hard to judge.

We shall see, others lined up in the meantime anyway.
  • Yeah, fingers cross DS.  Sounds like you did your best and that's all you can do.
  • Aye, best of luck to you Darko!
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I'm not sure I'm ok with "darko" as a diminutive

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!