Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Career move. Getting on. Time for less doing and moving towards directorship. IR35 could have been a consideration as it was the talk just as I moved over.
  • Just had a call with my big boss about a project but it came up about my probation which ends in roughly 6 weeks.
    Its all thumbs up, only thing he wants from me is for me to call him a bit more frequently, which is fine its all just me learning the culture of the company he is a busy guy so didnt want to intrude too much.

Well happy. Just got to wait for the letter mid December really.
  • Apparently my visuals made a client nearly cry the other day lol.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Try getting a haircut, new clothes or something
  • :D

Any clothes would probably help.
  • Try getting a haircut, new clothes or something

Quality.
    SFV - reddave360
  • This is great news Liv. Super-pleased for you mate.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    t3TrcRx.jpeg
  • Training for a world-title boxing match?
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Reg loves a good cock.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I'm still waiting for the pic you promised me Goobles
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    So we were all geared up for an enforced return to the office on Monday. All staff were expected to work in the office for 2 days a week.

I've been doing that anyhow. Fed up working from home. I'll extend my attendance if I'm allowed actually.

But because I'm in IT we have been working getting ready to deal with the onslaught of missing screens, docking stations, printer queue setups, hybrid meeting room AV setups and fuck knows what else.  With 40% attendance target that's 1000 or so people turning up like a first day after 18months at home.  Bear in mind in NI we still have masks worn in shops etc, 2m rules etc. so we have to plan seating around that.

Our own developers and analysts / systems teams who have been 100% at home were throwing a fit about coming in and so was the IT helpdesk people who have been 100% home working (who are under my remit, the devs and analysts are someone else's problem!). Have been fielding moans, complaints, petulance etc.

Have been working flat out with facilities - it's a nightmare for them too - getting signage up, straight handing requests for desk moves etc. (Well the people in my team have...)

Lot of stress and annoyance - all because our chief exec who leaves in January - wanted this under way.

She folded tonight after pressure from politicians and unions. The unions rescinded their acceptance of the H&S plans.  (Our H&S people are actually very good and pragmatic - they are fucked off too as they were not consulted before the 1st Nov date was announced) So the whole bloody show is off. The u-turn will leave her fuming, but fuck her. Was a dick move anyhow. Monumentally bad timing given it's winter.

We have a pile of people working anyhow by virtue of their jobs requiring them to be on site (including most people on my team)- this was tackling some deskbound folk in other depts who have been getting off lightly and a broadsword was used instead of targetting them.

So at least I won't have to think about it now until early Spring hopefully. But the whole thing has royally fucked off a lot of people and a lot of good will has been shat on (we do a lot of IT work out of hours on paid OT but no-one HAS to do it.). I have guys running on fumes since the Summer and this spike of activity was the last fucking straw.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • I’m constantly swearing at our IT contractors but that’s because they’re shit, not because of recent events.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Heh. To be fair we have come out of it looking good. We got 2000 people working from home in a couple of weeks by scaling up our VPN and getting a few hundred laptops out to staff who had no home computer. We effectively enabled the org to keep its back office functions operational pretty much close to 100% at home while our front of line did their thing.

Some CAD users just had to come in as graphical intense apps just don't work too well with VPNs. Some remoted into their workstations but even then the graphical workload is sometimes too much and taking the workstation home wasn't a sol either as they really need LAN performance. But all in all it has worked well.  

We had to roll out MFA for O365 and our VPN using apps etc but it all worked well. We also had to set up a CRM for helpline and food parcel deliveries (I even came out of coding retirement to help out with that one because we had to use the legacy CRM I was the dev architect for way back!!).

Biggest pain was the Windows 10 upgrade which required on-site update because of the 3rd party disc encryption we use. We are kicking that into touch and moving to Bitlocker so we can do it all remotely if it happens again. We had to organise the logistics of hundreds of people booking slots for their upgrade and data migration etc.

But our guys were heroes - kept it all going and made me look good.  

I still maintain for big orgs, in house IT is a viable option if its run properly, particularly if you have a wide range of different applications. If all you use is O365, a CRM and finace/payroll the cloud and outsourcing is of course viable but it isn't always cheaper. We have been benchmarked by outsourcers and we came out cheaper.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Matt_82 wrote:
    Just got emailed.  No redundancy so no redundancy pay.  Just no work until they open up again, which could be any time or never.  Fuck me.

A year after this and I've been offered a permanent contract at work.   In a job that's better in every measurable way to the last one. Massively better paid.  No customers. No bosses telling me to clean something that's just been cleaned just so I look busy. No working Christmas.  No zero hour contract.

I cannot stress enough how stressful it was not knowing how we were going to be able to eat (I'm the sole earner in the house). I've never been in that position before and hopefully never will again.

I've known for a while that it was likely that I'd be kept on but only got it confirmed in the last few days. Thank fuck.
  • Well done Matt.
    No doubt you have earned it.
  • This is just absolutely wonderful news! I'm so happy for you Matt :)
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Great news :D
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Great stuff Matt
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Congrats Matt! Great news.
  • Well done Matt, awesome stuff
    SFV - reddave360
  • Thats great news! Well done mate!
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • That must be a great relief, congratulations
  • Well done dude, glad you don’t have to worry about that stuff anymore. I couldn’t imagine the stress you went through, so glad to hear it’s all behind you.

I found out today my little brother got promoted big time for the stuff he does (something to do with healthcare and stats? I’m actually not smart enough to figure it out lol) so chuffed because he works his arse off and after the studying and PHD etc he truly deserves it. Then found out my little sister just got offered a well paid designer job at Lego!

I’ve always been proud of them but Jesus they do genuinely excel at what they do. Makes me think I probably should have focused more on a career I actually wanted rather than just fall into IT. I mean I do ok and I don’t hate my job at all, but I probably should have kept trying at film post production like I planned after uni… oh well, I focussed more on property/marriage/kids and I couldn’t be happier with that side of life.
  • Sounds like you are doing just fine to me mate. :)
  • Thanks g, I could always start editing again for fun in the future.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!