General Games News
  • Some people are such fucking cunts. They are video games, ffs.
  • This phenomenon of games journalists reporting on games journalists reminds me of an article on ABC news last year. 

http://www.abc.net.au/unleashed/2862328.html
    This talk had its origins in my appearance about a year ago on the ABC's Lateline with Leigh Sales. We were discussing election coverage that looks at the campaign as a kind of sporting event. Every day journalists can ask, "who's ahead" and "what is the strategy for winning?" A perspective that appeals to political reporters, I said, because it puts them "on the inside, looking at the campaign the way the operatives do."
    I then mentioned the ABC's Sunday morning program, The Insiders. And I asked Leigh Sales if it was true that the insiders were, on that program, the journalists. She said: "That is right." I said: "That's remarkable." She… well, she changed the subject. And let me add right away that Leigh Sales is one of the most intelligent journalists I have ever had the pleasure to meet.
    I appreciate the names here will be irrelevant to anyone not from Australia, but its a reflection on the current theme of modern political commentators placing themselves in the story so to speak, rather than being observers of events and reporting on them. 

This is clearly happening in modern day games journalism to a wide extent, and it really highlights the insular nature of the business. I'd go so far to say as it is more like parasitism or symbiosis, depending on which side of the fence you are on (PR or games writing). For a customer on the outside though, it all looks very strange and completely uninformative.

At the very least, it at least helps you filter out people who cannot be trusted for impartial writing.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Anyone else sensing thunder and lightning where their tea should be?
    Town name: Downton - Name: Nick - Native Fruit: Apples
  • Sasukekun wrote:
    Anyone else sensing thunder and lightning where their tea should be?

So long as the biscuits remain intact.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Where's Biffo when you need him?
  • Was anything that Florence said actually libellous there?

He said, if you'll let me paraphrase a bit, that she tweeted that giving away PS3s to games journos isn't a bad thing, and then immediately does a little fangirl spaz out about Tomb Raider.  He says that when he sees those tweets together, he immediately becomes suspicious of her motivations.

That's entirely reasonable.  I do too.  He didn't say "Wainwright is obviously in someone's pocket" or "her opinion is definitely for sale."  He said it made him suspicious that she's so happy to advertise Tomb Raider when she's ostensibly an independent journalist.

She's a shockingly bad writer, but that's by the by.
  • She was just super excited about Tomb Raider guys. The stuff about having her twitter profile covered in Tomb Raider promotional art and having Square Enix as one of her employers on Linkdin just shows how excited about it she was.
  • Am I alone in failing to care what the stupid little moron writes, libellous or otherwise?
  • adkm1979 wrote:
    Am I alone in failing to care what the stupid little moron writes, libellous or otherwise?

Robert Florence?  Why the dislike?  Admittedly this is the first time I've heard of him.
  • He's an idiot.  I'm amazed anyone ever gives him the time of day.
  • adkm1979 wrote:
    He's an idiot.  I'm amazed anyone ever gives him the time of day.

What's he done before this?  I've never heard of him but thought the original article was alright.
  • Consolevania and Video Gaiden were great. Well, great up until Rabs head went up his arse and Consolevania became some sort of weird attempt at combining surrealism and alternative comedy.

Bit like his Independent Charles show.

Those first two series of Consolevania though.
  • Oh, he's a Consolvania person.  Either way, I think Lauren Wainwright's a shit writer and I'm suspicious of her tweets too.
  • The columns he was writing for Eurogamer were generally pretty good and it's a shame he won't be doing them any more. The one on booth babes and misogyny in the games world is worth a read.

I also really like his board game reviews on RPS. They make me sad though as I'll never get to play any of the games.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    oh dear oh dear oh dear.
  • Eurogamer are clearly an utter shambles. Their editor must have given Rab the green light to publish the article in its original form - if he didn't, then who did? The fact they edited Rab's comments 24 hours after the article was posted and then issued an apology is shocking. The editor - or whoever runs the site - needs to do their job better. Have the balls to publish the article and stand by your writer. They clearly don't know their arse from their elbow. Amateur hour.
  • Didn't a similar thing happen with Stanton only weeks ago? Another fine mess for U.K games journalism, which seems to be an industry populated entirely by huffy children.
  • Isn't it reasonable/common that an editor will think it's alright, but then a potentially baseless threat of legal action means they need to change it retrospectively?

I mean, I don't think anything he wrote was defamatory or libellous, nor did he, nor did his editor, but if one of Wainwright's employers/representatives thought it was, it'd be ballsy of Eurogamer to stand by it with the threat of legal action there.

I guess what I'm saying is editors for a videogames site surely aren't libel lawyers, but would they have a legal team on staff who even check for these things, or does it rely on an editor flagging it up?
  • I really like what Rob Florence wrote, but this whole event seems to have taken a turn for the ugly. Lawsuits, internet detectives, people erasing their history and whatnot. 

The internet is a scary place. 

I guess at the end of the day there is a lot of money sloshing around the industry and a lot of pressure to get things sold or else studios go kaput. At the end of it all, I do feel the average gamer who tries to find buying advice is being treated like a mug, and there are vastly more people out there who are acting with impropriety who never get found out.
  • That's true though. In smaller groups at least you know people are genuine because if theyre not, they get called on it soon enough. In much larger groups it seems to become very easy for PR types to become part of the furniture and indistinguishable from the average punter. 

Demos are also really useful too.
  • It's interesting to note that MCV deny legal threats. Which begs the question, why would Eurogamer change it? I'd like to believe Ben Parfitt, as hes seemed like a decent sort in the past, but it's hard to see why Eurogamer would not stand by Florence unless lawyers were involved.

Think i'll make a couple of calls tomorrow and see what i can uncover.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    It's all fucking shit la. 

Anyone heard of polygon.com before? Seems alright and they have a code of ethics. 

I like Florence.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • Polygon is the spinal tap of games journalism.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    So if Flo was a journalist he wouldn't kowtow to the corps, but he's not - he's a writer; electively distanced. And he won't name [more] names, because that's a horrible thing to do. A man avowing chastity to unprofessional behaviour demands confrontation from his fellow chapter.

Sanctimonious civility to suit. Walker's gone a bit Tunbridger, as well.

Low-paid videomen aren't paragons of fucking virtue; their eking out a living from Bartertown is, uh, well-known; Bear and Badger's influence is undiminished. Wagon Wheels. Never trust Reg.
  • He left the column because they edited it, going against the point if the article, not because he didn't want to 'name names'.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    He'll carry on shouting his preach from the sidelines.

It's a tired attack on an unmendable problem, Temps. The industry (lol) is full of people trying to earn a wage with the minimum of fuss. Devs, PR, writers... Some good, many bad, same boat. Shit or bust, frankly.

Walker and Flo can fling their business because they're established.
  • I love shit like this. Days like this make me happy. I don't know why, but I do enjoy the feeling of schadenfreude in this instance.

I dont blame the writers/journalists/whatever who receive the free games/money/trips/etc. I mean, I would take them too.

If my hobby was videogames and I got to write about videogames all day long. Then some big publisher gives me free videogames to talk about their videogames nicely I'd probably say yes. Especially if I was on less than 20 grand a year like most of these guys and girls are. 

But then, I'm not an un-educated buffoon like the majority of the readership. I'm not the only member of the bear and badger to be utterly un-shocked by this whole debacle surely? 

Good on Rab for calling this shit out. The very fact that the writer, publications and publishers have been so defensive speaks volumes. 

But again, is this any real surprise to anyone here? Sure, the average 14 year old kid who reads twitter and genuinely hangs off every word the videogame press feeds him might be shocked. But that's because he's 14.

Not 34.

I hope for more articles like this in the next few weeks. 

Well done Rab. Well done Rich. Well done RPS. You're not talking bollocks anymore.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!