General Games News
  • P.S.

Polygon looks like the most expensive joke I've ever seen the Videogame industry pull. Genuinley amazed at the budget, time and expense those worthless hacks have been throwing at something NOBODY wants.
  • So now he's written this he's not entitled to write elsewhere? Yes, Walker and Florence are established, as are a ton of others. The hypocrisy being pointed out was the fact that there is this constant scramble for validation in the 'industry' whilst this PR schmoozing was still in rude health, and the incongruity of it being a subject 'we don't talk about'

Then they talk about it and it blows up, typically, proving the point of the article. Job dun.
  • google wrote:
    P.S.

Polygon looks like the most expensive joke I've ever seen the Videogame industry pull. Genuinley amazed at the budget, time and expense those worthless hacks have been throwing at something NOBODY wants.

But INTEGRITY and 1MB PICTURES and FLUID SCORES and oh god no I can't go on it is hilarious.

• The roster of 'editors' and 'writers' they've assembled is fucking awful. The most uncharismatic writers pulled from Kotaku, Joystiq and 1UP over the past 5 years.

EUGH.

IT'S FUCKING HORRIBLE.
  • I think your page topping post sums it all up pretty succinctly. We knew the press attended events all over the world paid for by Publishers and that they likely received gifts etc It isn't surprising. The issue was that no one was talking about it openly, like the Edge/Reach review thing. One day was clearly enough for the rest of the press, after being fed well and put up in swanky hotels, I'm sure it was.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Once polygon launches I will likely go and visit it with morbid curiosity. Oh BUT LIVES ARE AT STAKE WITH THIS SAYS THE DOCUMMENTARY
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    To wit (extraneously in present company), Kevin Toms is one of only a few of his era to exit with the money he deserved via self-publishing.

Of all the industries, gaming is one of the most resistant to campaigns for integrity. For it preys on the suggestibility of children.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Once polygon launches I will likely go and visit it with morbid curiosity. Oh BUT LIVES ARE AT STAKE WITH THIS SAYS THE DOCUMMENTARY
    It's up now. I've read a couple of decent reviews from them, but it's just another American gaming website.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Ah... I'll be a little crushed if it is quite functional...
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    I'd not heard of it until you mentioned it, so I've just had a look and, uh, it's... there.

Pebble-dashed with unfamiliars.
  • It's a horrible eyesore of a site. Read their Blands2 review, thought it was a bit poo, never went back.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    WE'LL GET HIM WHEN HE COMES BACK IIIN!
  • Escape wrote:
    Low-paid videomen aren't paragons of fucking virtue; their eking out a living from Bartertown is, uh, well-known

I don't think anyone thinks them paragons of virtue, but for them to continue to function there has to be a level of trust between reader and writer. Decking out your public Twitter account with art from an as yet unreleased game and not seeing the issue with accepting a PS3 in return for promoting a game quite simply breaks that level of trust.
  • I can't believe these people don't already have PS3s.
  • Ian wrote:
    I can't believe these people don't already have PS3s.

The guy from the Guardian who tweeted from the GMAs happily admitted that he already had 3.
  • Linked together to form a supercomputer, no doubt.

If they were offering a debug unit, something that will play the unsigned code often sent out for preview or review, then that would be different, but I fail to see the gain in having another retail console.
  • And that's my brilliant contribution to the discussion done. Two words, one of which is 'innit'.
  • Technically 3 words then, if you done learned how tu speak propa. ;)
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    Something for free I suppose. Even people with millions in the bank like a good freebie. Seems the more money you have the less stuff you have to pay for. Oscar gift bags etc.

As Walker said, it's one thing to do a drunken tweet in the hope of winning a raffle. It's another thing entirely to not realise why that was stupid and then defend it when you're sober.

People really seem to dial the arrogance up to 11 when they get on Twitter.
  • Presactly. Plenty of people bellowing "storm in a teacup!" from the sidelines too, which is easy to say until your realise that due to the nature of the gaming press and how tightly knit they are, the 'teacup' is their job and everyone they know. Probably harder to ignore the storm then.
  • People take Twitter and social media far too seriously, including large businesses that seem to think followers directly equate to dollaroo.
  • Dave Cook said that he was intending to use it in a competition on VG24/7. Doesn't really make it any better for me.

I've decided against calling Lauren for her side of the story, as I doubt she'd want tthe likes of me cold calling, and she has had some unwarranted shit from people over this and I don't want to make her feel like I'm adding to it. I've sent an email instead which she can choose to delete without reading if she wishes.
  • Man, i'd have thought the last thing she's going to want to do is put her story to (no offence here) a lightweight writer.

Pretty sure she's had more than enough after the utter unpleasantness she went through yesterday with people calling her a worthless cunt and other incredibly offensive stuff.

I doubt she'd even respond to someone like Walker at the moment.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    Plenty of people bellowing "storm in a teacup!" from the sidelines too

Get your glasses on - I'm on the pitch! It's obviously <Downton> a terrible thing, but trust in paid-for practices relying on modern consumers is inherently naive (especially here, where those cons are mostly kids and/or pied-pipable).

The only way for reviewers to fully evade compromise is to find an intelligent audience below the radar of a major publisher.

The glory days of unbiased reviews never really were. And at any rate, did you see this thing I posted the other day?
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    We've always had our suspicions, Official mags being the most obvious ones.

If you're posting here you're probably more on the informed end, and you're probably going to get a wider range of more genuine opinions of a game if you ask/read.

But we're lucky, other folks who don't spend all fucking day reading and talking about games rely on reviews. And that's the façade the industry erects. It's no wonder they become immensly defensive about it because without that trust the whole edifice crumbles.
  • Tempy wrote:
    Man, i'd have thought the last thing she's going to want to do is put her story to (no offence here) a lightweight writer. Pretty sure she's had more than enough after the utter unpleasantness she went through yesterday with people calling her a worthless cunt and other incredibly offensive stuff. I doubt she'd even respond to someone like Walker at the moment.

Agreed (and why I went with email), but if I want to write about it it's only polite to give her the opportunity no?
  • Possibly, but after a day of torrid abuse I'd have probably waited a little bit if it was me.

Escape wrote:
    The glory days of unbiased reviews never really were.

That's not really the point, I don't think that has been suggested. In fact Walker said it was worse in the past, and then got better for a time, and is now worse again. It's just simply about some knd of integrity. Just because you get free shit or paid a meal, it shouldn't intefere with your criticisms of the product. It's a thing I can believe should happen, beyond idiotic naivety. It's easy to not be inherently critical of the entire construct, because it's frequently correct in its assertions.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    integrity

Too much and you're unemployable in the major-pub sphere. Walker was lucky to enjoy a good run before the backfire of social media found its foothold.

I'm not calling compromised in big letters, but the need to self-edit paid-for reviews is growing.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    You can see where I'm driving, right? And on this imaginary road it's easy to be tempted downhill.

If you're paid for a review it's because it's fit for a readership that's beyond the service of solitary opinion. From there, surrounding components intertwine and magnetise to money.

In-for-a-penny free PS3s, because all clues point to weak-minded reviewers following on behind. In the end, I think there's too much pressure on good reviewers. Failing to please everyone mattered so much less before Twitter-corralled anger; before online readerships grew to tantrum-guaranteeing size; before passers-by could access content for nowt.

You committed £4, disagreed with certain things, maybe went to that mag's forum and wrote 'I disagree with these certain things', and that was the end. Gillen used to like coming in to further his views. No problems.

SHORTY: Writers have Shit Sandwich on loop until their overlords get their collective house in order, which would be a huge risk in the current game-thicko-on-the-street climate. I'm not defending free-Threes-woo!, only empathising with their position.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!