Ask the Bear & Badger
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    One thing worth remembering is that they don’t offer Bluetooth. If you’ve got an Android, it should be fine as the dongle will work, but there’s no way to get audio from an iPhone through them, annoyingly.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Yeah Android phone here. We do have an iPhone from B's work but I only use that to play Pokemon Go with my brother's account.

I think that even if I didn't want to use the dongle in Android I can use the audio cable to connect to phone. But we have 3 different Beyer Dynamics for music so I can't see myself using the steelseries often. Could be good for calling I guess but that's the lowest of priorities.
  • Doing a housing application and need some help. They've got a 15-page form that was a pdf that's been printed and filled out. They also need (from both of us) 3mth bank statements which are separate pdfs for me, 3mth payslips each of which will be scanned in, and scans of my passport and drivers licence.

So, what is the best and easiest way to collate all this together in one document? Word? My own pdf? Trying to do all this on my phone which probably isn't helping.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Definitely not Word.

Personally, I’d attach them all separately, but if you can merge them into one PDF which isn’t so large that it can’t be emailed, you could do that.

Failing that, Dropbox links.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Microsoft office lens.

It lets you scan in multiple pages using your phone camera and save it as a single PDF and/or word doc, and also as separate jpg/PNG images.
  • Oh, I opened office there and seen it put the camera scanning front and centre. These things pretty accurate? If it makes just how much I spend in the work canteen a lil blurry I won't mind.

I'll get to it. Thanks both.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I scan most things that need scanning with my phone camera these days. Never had any complaints about the quality from that.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Oh, I opened office there and seen it put the camera scanning front and centre. These things pretty accurate? If it makes just how much I spend in the work canteen a lil blurry I won't mind.

I'll get to it. Thanks both.

Very accurate, and does character recognition too so it will create an editable document if you want it to.
  • I would do separate PDFs/JPGs for each of those items, clearly named and dated. Unless they specifically asked for it all in one document.

There’s a really good official phone app called Adobe Scan for taking photos, correcting them, and saving as PDFs.
  • They didn't specify either way tbh. I'll do one for the completed application, and one for all supporting docs?

Mad dash cos I ran out of printer paper. Of all the times. Hmph. Now off to work!
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    IIovepdf.com is a free website that will let you merge pdfs together into one document. I use it all the time, outs very useful.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Why do I get completely different results when doing an image search in Google versus from inside Google Slides?
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Maybe Slides only gets certain sizes or aspect ratios?
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Cos Google will be looking at context. There is going to be an algorithm looking at use case. It may strip a lot of stuff it thinks is either not relevant for someone creating a presentation or it may also be looking at IP protection and wants to be seen to be reducing the ease with which people can steal copyrighted material for use in presentations. Are you seeing, for example, less topical results in Slides vs Google? If so that could due to the latter.

Google is also always testing on us and will be looking at how people use search and their products. It may have refined things already based on other user engagement.

For images I tend to use Unsplash.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Kow wrote:
    Maybe Slides only gets certain sizes or aspect ratios?

Oh, perhaps.
    b0r1s wrote:
    It may strip a lot of stuff it thinks is either not relevant for someone creating a presentation or it may also be looking at IP protection and wants to be seen to be reducing the ease with which people can steal copyrighted material for use in presentations. Are you seeing, for example, less topical results in Slides vs Google?

This seems like a reasonable hypothesis. I wouldn't say "less topical" though. I was doing a search for "ten items or less" for a class on (un)countable nouns. (Some milk versus a lot of bottles, yadda yadda yadda.) When I did it in vanilla Google I got the signs you see in stores that set OCD types like myself off. When I did it inside Slides it was almost random. I'd defy anyone to identify the search term from the images I got.

I'll give Unsplash a go. Never even heard of that, cheers much.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Kow wrote:
    IIovepdf.com is a free website that will let you merge pdfs together into one document. I use it all the time, outs very useful.

These services are very handy but dont use them for anything that has personal/finance info. There is no way of knowing what is being done with the content.

There are instances of some of these being honey pots to harvest info.

Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • davyK wrote:
    Kow wrote:

These services are very handy but dont use them for anything that has personal/finance info. There is no way of knowing what is being done with the content.

Doesn’t the free version of Acrobat allow you to add pages to a PDF?
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    Kow wrote:

No, I wouldn't use it for anything very personal. But it doesn't need a log in or email address or anything and I use it through a browser that blocks cookies etc. so it should be ok.

• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    @Kow - as long it isn't for anything personal.  

It will be submitting the docs to a server somewhere to do the processing so there is no way of knowing if it's being scanned for certain content or even being copied.

I'd be especially suspicious of free services. Those things are free for a reason.

Sadly, you just cannot be too careful now.

We had someone in work using a fancy signature generator for emails. Turns out every time an email was sent there was a query off to a web server somewhere to download the signature. It was also gathering contact list details.

So if you sent an email with that sig, your contacts were copied. Then if whomever you sent it to forwarded it on, their contacts were copied too. Crazy stuff.
  • The classic example is downloading a free torch app for your phone – as in, an app that just switches on the camera flash so you can use it as a torch – and not realising that the app also scrapes every piece of data it can from your phone and sends it off to a database to aggregate and sell on for profit. Your contact book, location history, SMS logs, chat history, etc etc.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I don't know about iPhone but at least on Android you're going to have to agree to that before you install. I guess a lot of people just click yes.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    IPhone apps are vetted before being published. They are far less likely to be malignant but of course that is no guarantee.
  • Kow wrote:
    I guess a lot of people just click yes.

Bingo. How many T&Cs statements have you just scrolled past and agreed to without reading?
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I generally don't click yes to anything without at least looking at the permissions. I am totally prepared to click no on every box on every website looking for cookie permissions. The bastards.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    IPhone apps are vetted before being published. They are far less likely to be malignant but of course that is no guarantee.

Yup. Apple isn't going to go through every line of code and test every possible situation with every app. Just ask people who used Path.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    The new Android 12 going is really good for this. I'm using the beta at the minute, and every app has to tell me if it wants to do something other than normal. Plus I get a green notification on the screen whenever the camera or microphone are being accessed, I click the dot it tells me what app is doing it. Then I can change the permissions for that app to "this time only" to stop it being sneaky on the future
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    One of those rare occasions when there’s a new feature coming to Android which iOS users have taken for granted for years.

Good to hear it’s coming at least.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    How long you been waiting to say that ;)

edit: that said, I've never noticed the iPhone do that, where does it tell me when the camera or microphone are being accessed?? Might bey lack of apps on there but I'd missed it
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Little dot above the signal strength indicator on my iPhone X.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Blue Swirl wrote:
    Yup. Apple isn't going to go through every line of code and test every possible situation with every app. Just ask people who used Path.

yeah - Apple probably run new apps in some sort of test harness environment or emulator that detects OS calls, kernel calls, storage access, location services access etc. but there's probably ways of fooling that.  Apple is far better at this and will improve but it's always going to be risky, especially for free apps.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!