Assassin's Creed
  • Well, can’t play it but my copy arrived...
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    Coulda lent ya Origins (PS4) but I think Hyde wanted a loan too...

When I say ‘at some point’, I mean after I’ve depleted more of my Pile, which could still mean years! AC isn’t a priority for me. So many other games!!!
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Bob wrote:
    FranticPea wrote:
    I enjoyed Oranges. Skipped Odyssey because I heard about Vikings, and Vikings rule.
    You’re like a Stones fan
    Beatles rule

More of a Can man if we're going that era.
  • Really enjoyed the last two of these. Loathe Vikings tho, true scumbags of history. The rainy, grey-day isle location of this one does not appeal to the virtual tourist in me at all either.

And yet I hear that Ireland and (a siege of, I'd imagine) Paris are rocking along in the season 
    pass. Take my monies Ubi-generic-soft, on sale, somewhere way down the line - when I've finally got through Odyssey.
  • Talking of virtual tourism, one of the things I was looking forward to doing in the first game, and absolutely loved when I got there, was visiting Al-Aqsa and the Dome of the Rock. I will go there one day, but for now I would rather not put myself and my family through Israeli border control.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Absolutely loving Valhalla. Looks lovely, runs butter smooth. What fun to do mental raids on villages, crashing your longboat into the shore and screaming as you charge up to the enemy.

I imagine there is Ass Crud stealth too, just haven't quite got there. The story is interesting so far too.

Good stuff.
  • https://youtu.be/0HPNCA_XoBg

Skill up review is brutal.

Worth watching if you're on the fence, I reckon, because it's not a straight forward dissection.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Yep, that is a pretty savage dissection of the game's failings. I'm concerned about changes to the loot system and the forgettable cast of npcs.

But then again, Skill Up said that Ghost of Tsushima was a great open world game when in fact it was very bland and boring (outside of the combat) so I don't completely trust his judgement.

Odyssey was one of my favourite games of the last gen and I know what I'm getting with this latest installment. Spectacular and showy combat that strays into mindless button mashing - less of a test of my arcade skills, more about creating a theatre for my power trip dreams. I'm fine with that.

He omitted to say anything about how you can switch on one-hit kill assassinations from the settings (if you want to return to the 'classic' ass creed way of doing things). Or how your eagle, sorry, Raven vision now no longer reveals every enemy, making stealth gameplay a thing again. Why doesn't he mention at all  the new Valhalla (godly realm) levels?

Seems like he has an axe to grind.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    I'm not gonna bother watching it in case it makes me look for things. I think it's great fun.
  • He does mention there are parts he really liked and that they should have double downed there and culled some of the excessive repetition.
    Which to be fair is true of most open world Ubisoft games.

I assume the Valhalla parts are what he is referring to but was wary of spoilers.
  • FranticPea wrote:
    I'm not gonna bother watching it in case it makes me look for things. I think it's great fun.
    Having watched that review, I'd recommend you maybe find a guide to unlocking the skill tree, because, and this isn't really a spoiler... 
    Spoiler:
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    You can respec whenever and as much as you like to play around with different paths. Seems like a non issue tbh.
  • That doesn't sound so bad then.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • So played maybe an hour...I’m in love. Looks great abs my god it’s smooth and responsive. Odyssey was one of the games of last gen for me, this is a great start to another Ass Creed.
  • Skill up felt that way too..until..dun..dun..dun...a few hours later - form of: Ubi-generic-soft, corporate gaming for the slight of mind and soul, engage.
  • These Skill Up things always seem pretty awful. I'm not sure where they get their reputation.

This game is certainly huge, perhaps too much, but it's impressive how little of it is endless checklist type repetition. It's worth exploring because there's interesting stuff to find everywhere (unlike Ghost of Tsushima). 

It's easy to dismiss another Ubisoft open world game, but I think this does a good job of looking at the problems and trying to address them. It's got a lot of variety, and a lot of things to do that are actually fun.

The way the skill tree works is actually quite smart, too. As you open it up you create different paths to reach different abilities. 

Combat is a little weak, sure, and the AI is pretty daft. But it's an impressive game overall.
  • indigoDos wrote:
    Skill up felt that way too..until..dun..dun..dun...a few hours later - form of: Ubi-generic-soft, corporate gaming for the slight of mind and soul, engage.

Yeah, I’ll make my own decisions as to these things, If I merely went by what others thought I’d have missed out on half my life!
  • @JonB
    Did you finish it then?

His main criticism centered around an initially solid gameplay loop being repeated and stretched to a point where he felt completely jaded by the dull repetition; less bloat and he'd of liked the experience a lot more.
  • Verecocha wrote:
    indigoDos wrote:
    Skill up felt that way too..until..dun..dun..dun...a few hours later - form of: Ubi-generic-soft, corporate gaming for the slight of mind and soul, engage.
    Yeah, I’ll make my own decisions as to these things, If I merely went by what others thought I’d have missed out on half my life!

Of course consume how you like, hope you enjoy it. Just drawing parallels.
  • There's an irony about a review complaining about the bloat of the game going on for 26 minutes. I was sick of it after 10.

The structure is episodic. It's a way of dividing into manageable chunks with arcs coming to a conclusion at regular intervals. And each one has a slightly different emphasis in terms of what you do. Maybe it's a question of liking the story and characters, which I did. I was always looking forward to seeing what the next one involved.

I think you also have to bear in mind as a reviewer that playing the game in a condensed space of time isn't ideal. A lot of people might be playing it over months, taking their time with each area, not trying to rush through for a deadline.
  • Yeah he really didn't seem to care for the majority of the narrative elements = (part of) no payoff. 

I really enjoyed Odyssey stretched out over > a year of mostly mindless (but pretty and enjoyable with it) adventuring. Ideal easy escapism after a long day at work. But yeah I'd have have likely loathed it in a forced-condensed, time-frame format.

I'll take it you didn't finish it then, can't say I blame you.
  • I can definitely see the faults in the Skill Up review but it did also seem honest and I can appreciate that. His frustration didn't seem forced. I think, given the games he lists and the time he has put into them perhaps he needs broaden his horizons a bit and review/play some different stuff but then again gotta pay the bills.

Its like anything. Read/watch a few sources, check against own past experiences and tastes, consume appropriately.
  • indigoDos wrote:
    I'll take it you didn't finish it then, can't say I blame you.
    Not quite, but close enough.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    I can definitely see the faults in the Skill Up review but it did also seem honest and I can appreciate that. His frustration didn't seem forced.
    Oh yeah, it seems like that really was his experience, and fair enough. It just seems that people really put stock in these reviews and I don't get why, or who told him he's interesting enough to fill 26 minutes at a time.
  • g.man wrote:
    FranticPea wrote:
    Having watched that review, I'd recommend you maybe find a guide to unlocking the skill tree, because, and this isn't really a spoiler... 
    Spoiler:

You can respec with no charge though so if you go in a way you don't like you can undo it and then go in a different direction.

It sounds like the Origins team didn't play Odysessy and see what they should have done.
    The Forum Herald™
  • P.s. shit video. He may make some valid points but by christ he's annoying to listen too.

Someone give me my 26 minutes back.
    The Forum Herald™
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    I'd rather play 26 minutes of console than listen to some randoms opinion of a game.....
  • I quite like a good video review but that ironically is as repetative as teh complaints he has of the game.
    The Forum Herald™
  • His point on the skill tree thing isn't fixable by respecing.
    His point was that there are abilities that may have appealed but were hidden. If they were visible the player could carve a path to them and use them throughout the game. Instead he was finding stuff that appealed but was late in the game so his time spent with that ability was cut short.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    His point on the skill tree thing isn't fixable by respecing. His point was that there are abilities that may have appealed but were hidden. If they were visible the player could carve a path to them and use them throughout the game. Instead he was finding stuff that appealed but was late in the game so his time spent with that ability was cut short.

Kotaku claim it is. The say you can extend the skill tree into the shadowy bit to see what they are then remove the skill points.

I'll find the bit.

The skill tree in Valhalla is more like a skill spiderweb, with tons of branching and interconnecting skills and abilities hidden within. Thing is, you can’t see most of it at the start. As you earn skill points, try to unlock skills that have connections that go off into the fog beyond. These will unlock new skills to... unlock. The big advantage here is that you can plan ahead and get useful skills sooner. Don’t worry about getting a skill you don’t like just to open up a new section either, because you can just respec later.
    The Forum Herald™

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!