Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    If you have the points you can just expand the tree as far you can and see whats there. Then do the same for the other branches. It's really not an issue, just a little fiddly. Took me like 30 seconds to see what was available to me on each branch.

I think they just want to keep later unlocks a surprise until you have the points for them.
  • Seems pointless.
    Just show the fucking tree.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    It is a bit pointless. But it ain't an issue.
  • It sounds like a halfway house solution to the problem of scoping the skill tree for stuff you can’t have for 30+ vs the progression system that rewards you with unknown skills on level up.
  • @FranticPea   How is the HUD on this? If you weren't mindful on Odyssey to disable quest markers, your screen would quickly become cluttered with symbols and exclamation marks. Can you play this blind (ie disable HUD features) so you haven't got a crowd of angry markers blinking at you all the time?
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • The skill tree - I liked that it was a bit different. It's nice to find little surprises as you venture around it, and suddenly there's something new to play with that you weren't expecting. And then as you open up quite a lot of the web you can start to plot paths to the stuff you want most, trying to maximise the buffs in the areas you want along the way.
  • SkillUp said the combat was "too easy, which makes choosing the buffs pretty pointless"

Why not up the difficulty then you muppet!
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Lol. Thought there was a really awful graphical glitch on a tree in Assassins Creed then. Really bad as I looked around the landscape and it warped and went blocky.

Turns out its part of the game, and when I'd done it the cheevo said "It's not a bug, its a feature".

I like shit like that.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Also, in answer to the HUD question Blocks, sorry I'm not sure as I haven't had a tinker.
  • Blocks100 wrote:
    @FranticPea   How is the HUD on this? If you weren't mindful on Odyssey to disable quest markers, your screen would quickly become cluttered with symbols and exclamation marks. Can you play this blind (ie disable HUD features) so you haven't got a crowd of angry markers blinking at you all the time?

In the options you can choose how much hud you want, quest log, loot, health etc. You can switch it all off
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • You can’t mark enemies, I’ve played about 4 hrs and you highlight them with your ‘Focus’ and that’s it. After a while the colour disappears and you have to do it again. That’s way better as once you’d scouted them they were permanently marked.

Wii U Themagickman - PSN - Themagickman   Xboxlive - Themagickman
  • How is that better??
    The Forum Herald™
  • C'mon Bob, you played the last installment didn't you? Your bird in that one can tag an unlimited amount of enemies and even if you evaded them after they spotted you, your screen would be cluttered by a hundred flashing markers indicating searching foes, like a swarm of angry digital bees.

This new way is more realistic innit?
  • It doesn’t allow for good stealth essentially being the same as the origin mode.

When you could tag thing you could
    Play like an actual assassin
    The Forum Herald™
  • I haven't played long but stealth doesn't seem that important currently. Only did the first bit and a raid on an island, then back to home place but I don't even have the option to assassinate yet. Have sneaked around and used my bow though. It seems they want you to be more viking and just run up and smash enemies in the face with an axe.

I'm sure assassinations will come into it down the line.
  • I mean you press in the right stick and it reveals enemies, can do it as much as you want. Or use your raven to tag em.
  • MattyJ wrote:
    I'm sure assassinations will come into it down the line.

Not too far down the line from where you are dude. Still get both options but I'm loving being a maniac Viking.
    Artist also known as Verecocha...
  • There are whole sections areas you're encouraged to be stealthy. Although it usually goes wrong for me and I end up in a huge fight.

It's kind of crap that most enemies are so useless that you can win in a scrap against 20 or more. But it also means the penalties for mucking up stealth aren't too severe and there's more leeway to muck about and have a laugh with it.
  • Bob wrote:
    How is that better??

Because I don’t want my hand being held all the time
    Wii U Themagickman - PSN - Themagickman   Xboxlive - Themagickman
  • Spent a couple of hours on this last night and it's clear that this is no Odyssey re-skin as I first feared. It's very clearly its own game whilst sticking close to the Ass Creed formula. 

Here's what I liked:

the little side missions that you come across while roaming the land are ace. Humorous little encounters that can be resolved by doing something in the local vicinity of the NPC that you meet. They are not side quests in the traditional sense that have you trudging off to some other distant location on other side of the world map. And they are a massive improvement over the robotic exchanges that you had with Odyssey's npcs: 'go kill me 10 sharks!' nonsense' .

I've got the HUD dialled down to 'pathfinder' level which means the only thing that crops up on my display after I do the twirly bird thing is the yellow and blue orbs representing hidden treasure and mini story encounters as detailed above. It's a pleasing change from Odyssey's fussy buzz of HUD info.

The Snow. I don't think I've seen snow done as good as this since RDR2. Never played the TLoU2 so I don't know how that compares, but it's a a winter wonderland here. Sliding down a snowy hillside on my backside had me grinning from ear to ear like a 5 year old doing it for real.

Voice acting of the protagonist. The Cnut guy from The Last Kingdom  is doing  a stirling job so far. Kassandra was far better in Odyssey, but here the role has flipped and the bloke delivers all the best lines.

Here's what's causing me some concerns:

- the combat. It feels more floaty and inconsequential that even Odyssey's. There is no heft or weight to it at all. 

- the skill tree fog thing is pants. Yes you can respec to invest your points elsewhere to temporarily reveal other upgrade paths, but not being able to plan out your build from the off is a bummer. What's worse is that actual trigger abilities aren't unlocked on the tree, but instead are randomly discovered on the world map. I unlocked 'sleepy-time arrows' that way, long before I stumbled upon the ability to throw axes - my preferred fighting style. ho-hum.

- the environmental puzzles. Had to consult online FAQs to find the hidden treasure caches because the solution was too obscure. It's nice that there is no hand-holding here I guess, but it does lead to a few unecessary head scratching moments.
  • Man they really need to up the drop rate on reindeer antlers.
  • MattyJ wrote:
    Man they really need to up the drop rate on reindeer antlers.
    Story of my life.
  • I'd literally sell my Kingdom (which I don't own yet) for one.
  • I'll have wiped out the population of Norwegian reindeer before I get enough of em.
  • I think my dog has half a one in his bed.
  • Ass Creeds boxed sales keep CoD of the top spot. On sale for more days but did twice Odyssesys sales too.
    The Forum Herald™
  • And there's a Keith Flint tribute!
    The Forum Herald™
  • Eh?

EDIT:  Smack my Bishop Up!
  • That's a nice touch. I've got this now and looking forward to the Series X shinies
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!