Assassin's Creed
  • Bob wrote:

Odyssey is the best one?
    Anyway there all on ps+ extra too, all of them.
  • Yes by a slim
    Margin
    The Forum Herald™
  • Bob wrote:
    Yes by a slim
    Margin

I thought it started well but got real boring real quick.
    As is usual for this game series.
  • digi wrote:
    Bob wrote:
    Yes by a slim Margin
    I thought it started well but got real boring real quick. As is usual for this game series.

That doesn't stop it being the best in the series Davie.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Best entry. Enjoyed every bit of it including the DLC. Team Alexios.
  • Team Kassandra
    The Forum Herald™
  • Is Origin not the best one?  I dunno.  If I had to play one now (haven't played once since I gave up on the one after Brotherhood) it would be between Origin and Odyssey.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    There tends to be a bit of debate about whether it's Origin or Odyssey.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    It's Brotherhood 2
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    Is Origin not the best one?  I dunno.  If I had to play one now (haven't played once since I gave up on the one after Brotherhood) it would be between Origin and Odyssey.

Odyssey improves slightly on everything Origin does. That's not one feature or gameplay or anything that Odyssey doesn't do slightly better meaning it all adds up to being the better game.
    The Forum Herald™
  • They’re both great, and I loved Valhalla for the most part, but Odyssey just clinched it for me.
  • Playing Odyssey now. It’s very pretty and well made, but it’s also quite, quite dull. Gets closer than most to Witcher 3 in some ways, but the actual gameplay loop and combat are poor, all wrapped up in uninteresting numberwang and upgrade systems.

If this is the best one I’m glad I skipped the series.
  • The combats way better than Witcher, for me that’s biggest let down of an amazing game.
    Wii U Themagickman - PSN - Themagickman   Xboxlive - Themagickman
  • Currently playing Valhalla and finding it piss easy as I take a mental health break from Elden Ring. Odyssey probably my favourite AC mostly due to the Spartan Kick. Funny every time. :-)
  • Yeah and Kassandra is a legendary video game character … don’t like her you probably need a new hobby
    The Forum Herald™
  • I'm on Valhalla and finding it much more interesting than Odyssey.
    Odyssey got repetitive really quickly. Valhalla is still on the same formula but the variety is much improved. The raids especially capture the feeling of being a Viking marauder. Main crit I suppose is that it's not very assassiny it's more actiony but that suits me.

• If this is the best one I’m glad I skipped the series.

Have you not dabbled with the naval combat, Mercenary system or Conquest Battles yet? They help keep things fresh.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Blocks100 wrote:

Have you not dabbled with the naval combat, Mercenary system or Conquest Battles yet? They help keep things fresh.

Or the mythical beasts ? There’s so much more variety than origins
    The Forum Herald™
  • Blocks100 wrote:

Yeah, think I should make clear that this is very much a case of game and player not matching - I'm just straight up not an Open World fan and I'm not a Ubisoft game fan, so I went in with low expectations. It's clearly very good, it's just not for me. 

Did try the conquest stuff, yes, and the Mercenary stuff and the Ship battles - for me, they're just more bloat and numberwang. I really don't wanna collect resources to upgrade my ship, and my enjoyment of mercenaries is somewhat lessened by the in game levelling system. But again, that's all personal preference - it just ain't my bag. 

Only area where i'd straight up say Odyssey is bad is that fucking L1+R1 parry, which it looks like you can remap, but it has to be 2 buttons at once???! Yes, it's a nice big parry window, so the effect isn't that bad, but it just feels utterly shit. Hate it, hate it, hate it.  

One thing Odyssey has going for it is that it kept me somewhat entertained for longer than Ghost of Tsushima did. 

Trying Valhalla now and, weirdly, kinda enjoying it more. Think I prefer that it gets into the spooky / weird faster and it has a more focused design philosophy with, at least for now, fewer competing systems. It's a combat RPG where you raid shit, not a loot-based sometimes-naval, Game as a Service but Single-Player, territorial domination, numberwang content-thon. 

Also, England is objectively a better country than Greece. That helps.

And @Bob - Kassandra is great. Best thing about Odyssey.
  • tl;dr

Odyssey isn't for me, but can see it is a good one. Fuck that parry. 
    Valhalla might be for me.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    I'm on Valhalla and finding it much more interesting than Odyssey. Odyssey got repetitive really quickly. Valhalla is still on the same formula but the variety is much improved. The raids especially capture the feeling of being a Viking marauder. Main crit I suppose is that it's not very assassiny it's more actiony but that suits me.

Yar, this is me so far.
  • Agree with your other points.
    There's a really good massive mythical thing not too far in but not immediate that I won't spoil.

Also enjoy it being England. It helps that the region you start in is where I grew up. Ravensthorpe is just up the road from my parent's place.
  • The only thing I haven’t touched is your village, do you have to do anything with it?
    Wii U Themagickman - PSN - Themagickman   Xboxlive - Themagickman
  • Kernowgaz wrote:
    The only thing I haven’t touched is your village, do you have to do anything with it?

You have to build a forge in the beginning. And I assume there’s at least one other building you have to do. Beyond that…not sure.
  • Its worth doing.
    Definitely, definitely upgrade the witch lady's house when she arrives. You will be missing out on a great part of the game if you don't. Hers is the tent at the back near the waterfall.
    Same with the Assassin's house, that is where you cash in the necklaces you get of the Order folk, that will get you some good abilities.
    The stables is again worth doing, you upgrade your horse for significantly better stamina and the ability to swim, both massively useful.
    The barracks lets you change your raid party, you make a raid leader yourself and can employ them from other random online people. Not sure how much difference this makes but its fun.
    Others like the tattoo parlour are fairly obvious, havent done that one yet as there has always been somehting more interesting.

Some other side quests open up too when you level the village up. Plus two more open ended gametypes, a raid party thing and a roguelike from other houses.

It is no big deal to do really. You will pick up the supplies doing raids and sacking camps anyway. Then just go up to the sign outside each tent and upgrade it. You dont have to place anything or worry about keeping anyone happy or resupplying once upgraded. Its pretty hands off.
  • I burnt myself out doing every single thing in each section of the map before moving on to the next bit. I should go back at some point as it is great fun.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    There's another one out then?

Actually sounds more my thing than the last couple. No numberwang / RPG faff. More focussed. And a bit more stealthy.

Reviews suggest it works reasonably well as a sight return to the series roots, though still not without its flaws (including, as ever, questionable meta story nonsense).
  • TheBoyRoberts
    Show networks
    Xbox
    The Boy Roberts
    PSN
    TheBoyRoberts
    Steam
    TheBoyRoberts
    Wii
    BoyRoberts

Send message
    In a few hours in at the moment (got the flu/cold/covid so blasting through a few games) and I’m enjoying it.

Lot less bloat than Valhalla and the Middle Eastern setting is sublime.

Well worth the £35 entry fee.
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    In theory, could you subscribe to Ubisoft+, rinse the game and then cancel your subscription?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!