The TV you like thread
  • The Responder seems decent enough after two episodes. Nothing mind-blowing mind.
    Bob wrote:
    The second episode was a bit dull

And I thought the second episode was incredible.  Freeman will be winning all the awards for this.  He seems to be stepping up into Stephen Graham levels over the past few years.
  • I thought the second episode was better.
  • The Responder episode one was good but hit a bit close to home for me as someone who left the job over the impact on mental health.
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Martin Freeman however is great as always
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Watched the first episode of the Jeremy Thorpe scandal adaptation with Hugh Grant in the lead. (iPlayer) Excellent stuff. I read the book last year and so far this is pleasing as it is including the idiosyncracies of the supporting characters like the Lord who lets badgers have the run of his house and the fact that Thorpe's mother wore a monocole.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • The Responder episode one was good but hit a bit close to home for me as someone who left the job over the impact on mental health.

I did wonder about you as I watched this actually. There’s a certain type of person could stand to be front line police and this kinda hits home the toll it must take.
  • Yea it's tough watching, a year ago I wouldn't have been able to watch it but now I'm in a very good place I can enjoy it
  • All these recommendations for BBC shows, I thought the licence fee wasn't worth it anymore? ;)
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Gangs of London episode 6 - the cottage seige. Holy fuck. The action in this is so well done. Just when I think it can't get any more visceral, it does.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • That episode was stunning.
  • MattyJ wrote:
    All these recommendations for BBC shows, I thought the licence fee wasn't worth it anymore? ;)
    If it was surely they’d be brave enough to make it a
    Subscription service
    The Forum Herald™
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    The thing I realised with all of the talk about making the BBC a subscription service or doing ad-supported for free and paying for no ads and all of that is how the hell is that supposed to work with broadcast TV and radio?
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I cancelled my TV license over a year ago. The War of the Worlds and Dracula was the last straw. I haven’t missed it one bit.
    Get schwifty.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    The thing I realised with all of the talk about making the BBC a subscription service or doing ad-supported for free and paying for no ads and all of that is how the hell is that supposed to work with broadcast TV and radio?

Freeview and radio are dead you square.
  • It works for itv ??
    The Forum Herald™
  • I
    Mean essentially our kids have no
    Concept of broadcast tv anyway
    The Forum Herald™
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Bob wrote:
    It works for itv ??

ITV isn’t a subscription service, the broadcast version is ad-supported and only ad-supported.

Bob wrote:
    I

Unless they watch sports, which I’m sure many of them do. Also, why are we only concerned about the kids? Nobody is asking children to pay a TV license.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Bob wrote:
    It works for itv ??

ITV isn’t a subscription service, the broadcast version is ad-supported and only ad-supported.

Bob wrote:
    I

Unless they watch sports, which I’m sure many of them do. Also, why are we only concerned about the kids? Nobody is asking children to pay a TV license.

Exactly and you can pay for an iplayer style
    No ad service - they’re the closest commercial
    Uk tv has to bbc snd they survive
    The Forum Herald™
  • The children are our future or haven’t you heard :D
    The Forum Herald™
  • If you have now tv you can cancel the ads for five pounds a month so presumably me watching ads gives now tv/sky £5
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Bob wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:
    Bob wrote:
    It works for itv ??

Bob wrote:
    I

Exactly and you can pay for an iplayer style
    No ad service - they’re the closest commercial
    Uk tv has to bbc snd they survive

How do you remove ads from the broadcast version?
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Mr In-between then, season 2 going to some dark places!
  • He means ITV Hub plus or whatever. It removes the pre, mid and post roll ads from their on demand content. It obviously does not remove ads from the live broadcast streams including sports, news and so on.

Things I don't like about arguing with people about the license fee. number 225:

- that they can't seem to grasp the difference between guaranteed income and competitive, variable income

The fact that the BBC can absolutely 100% rely on £billions of revenue allows it to 

a) take risks that no commercial broadcaster possibly could
    b) support services that no commercial broadcaster ever would (yes I know you don't use them - see Things I don't like...number 12)
    c) back things for longer rather than cancelling as soon as first episode doesn't hit arbitrary streaming target
    d) plan strategically, and experiment. Look at the stuff the Nature team have done with innovative cameras and filming techniques, which can take years to work
  • Yoss knows what he means, but Bob is missing the point that making the BBC a subscription service or putting ads on that you can pay to remove doesn't work on Freeview. 

The sub option is technically possible, but requires the BBC content to be accessible only with a CI card.
  • The sub option is technically possible, but requires the BBC content to be accessible only with a CI card.

… And nobody even knows what they are.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I know the ITV hub thing, I’m trying to get to the point that what’s being asked for here isn’t a subscription service because that’s incompatible with broadcast TV unless we start sending out set top boxes to everyone in the country. ITV offers an ad-supported service with probably a small amount of additional income coming from ad-removal subscriptions.

Edit: or what Dante said.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:

There's other things such as the fact that the BBC has concert and symphony orchestras. BBC Scotland has one too. There might even be a choir. Stuff that will simply disappear.

In fact, isn't The Proms a BBC presentation? It would explain the content rich website.

Then there's its archive. Who would look after that?
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Kids these days probably don’t even know what an archive is.
  • Vote to defund the BBC and I will fight you
  • Only Connect final yesterday.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!