The TV you like thread
  • I fucking loved it though, best series since the first, real heart in mouth stuff at times
    Yup that my take also. Cannot wait for the conclusion.
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • I’m on Team Mike. Totally agree that this is the best season since the OG, but I’d rather have had 10 45-minute episodes than the seven over-long ones we got.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    We Own this City finished. I thought it was excellent. Typical David Simon fare in a lot of ways, sprawling, gritty, realistic, somewhat unsubtle lessons for you to take away about the political decisions that cause all the strife, but great performances, and the (true) story of a rogue police task force really did bring home just why the police are so hated in America. Great stuff.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Well Stranger Things was just excellent in about every way. Honestly can’t fault it. 

I was starting to gripe with the…
    Spoiler:

When’s volume 2?!
  • Argh. I gave up on ST midway through the first ep of S2. I’m going to have to watch it all now just to find out how fab this final season is aren’t I? Shit.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Finished s1 of Sex Education which was kinda fun. Moved on to Slow Horses which is kinda fun.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Argh. I gave up on ST midway through the first ep of S2. I’m going to have to watch it all now just to find out how fab this final season is aren’t I? Shit.

New season has some good stuff but it's way too long and overwrought. Less said about the last 20 minutes or so of the last episode, the better.
  • I liked Slow Horses. Doesn’t overstay it’s welcome.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    We Own this City finished. I thought it was excellent. Typical David Simon fare in a lot of ways, sprawling, gritty, realistic, somewhat unsubtle lessons for you to take away about the political decisions that cause all the strife, but great performances, and the (true) story of a rogue police task force really did bring home just why the police are so hated in America. Great stuff.

Cheers for the mini review. Will start binge watching soon, this or next week.

Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Argh. I gave up on ST midway through the first ep of S2. I’m going to have to watch it all now just to find out how fab this final season is aren’t I? Shit.

New season has some good stuff but it's way too long and overwrought. Less said about the last 20 minutes or so of the last episode, the better.

This isn’t right.
    GT: Knight640
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    70-120 minutes per episode is waaaay too long. Ridiculously so.

They also treat the viewer like a fucking idiot at times.

I'm not slating the thing, it's just not the wonderful, joyous spectacle I see it praised for.
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    The ST guys are great at the supernatural/horror type elements but their ability to write and direct teen drama is hampering the new series for me so far. Some absolutely dreadful stuff in there.
  • Finished Series 18 of Masterchef which was thoroughly enjoyable in a sort of you know exactly what you're going to get kind of way. They have tightened it up somewhat with a nice short 20 episodes with each heat doing an invention test, cooking for the critics and then the ex-contestants before going through to a relatively short semi-final and final format. Greg is as always entertaining when he's eating a pudding.

The Forum Herald™
  • I can't stand Greg. I've stopped watching because of him. Professionals is ok, but I don't need Greg invading that, too.

Stranger Things .... It's fine? Bit split on the long run time. I think I'd rather have more 1 hour episodes. I hate having to stop in the middle of an episode, 1 hour max chunks seems easier to budget for. Not watched the megalong last ep. Put it on a half hour before bed, remembered the run time and had to nope out before I was in too deep.
    Spoiler:
    plotline has been stretched thin.
    Spoiler:

It's not amazing, though. Maybe it's cos I don't have nostalgiaberries? How integral is nostalgia to a series like ST?
  • b0r1s wrote:
    Well Stranger Things was just excellent in about every way. Honestly can’t fault it. 

I was starting to gripe with the…
    Spoiler:

When’s volume 2?!

July I think.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • like, structurally integral. Every element of it has some aspect enriched (or otherwise) by nostalgia. Argyle is a great example of that - he's literally homage to the "dumb stoner" trope of late 80s / 90s horror and teen films, right? So you may objectively hate his character, but still appreciate the homage.

as it happens I don't - nostalgia is lazy, and the trope was always shit, so I agree: Argyle sucks
  • Counter-point: Argyle is the fucking man.
  • The prison stuff took FOREVER and the El teen drama took FOREVER and the El flashbacks took FOREVER and two of my favourite characters Will and Bro are USELESS now and everything is nicely signposted which I don't mind because it makes me feel clever

It looks lovely on the whole, it too far too long, the teen drama is tiresomely bad (perhaps deliberately again as homage but that doesn't make it good!) but the horror was great and I like it overall
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Is there any actual valid reason why they have a 2-hour episode instead of two 1-hour episodes? I mean, I'm going to have to watch it in two halves anyway, like a normal tv show.
  • Funkstain wrote:
    so I agree: Argyle sucks

die-hard-cast-argyle.jpg
  • Finally caught up on The Boys (episode 4). Blimey things are getting dark!
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • Funkstain wrote:
    The prison stuff took FOREVER and the El teen drama took FOREVER and the El flashbacks took FOREVER and two of my favourite characters Will and Bro are USELESS now and everything is nicely signposted which I don't mind because it makes me feel clever

It looks lovely on the whole, it too far too long, the teen drama is tiresomely bad (perhaps deliberately again as homage but that doesn't make it good!) but the horror was great and I like it overall

Nothing to disagree with here. I had trouble getting into the first season because I felt like I was missing something. This season feels like watching things in slow motion.
    Gremill wrote:
    Counter-point: Argyle is the fucking man.

Sorry, Grem, I respect you, but you're wrong.
  • Finished S3 of Love Death and Robits. Last episode of the season was incredible.

Latest season of Inside no9 seems darker than normal. Twityou
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    The El bits reminded me of Twin Peaks: The Return...

Spoiler:

Couldn't help but think [E4]...

Spoiler:
  • mk64 wrote:
    Finished S3 of Love Death and Robits. Last episode of the season was incredible.

Yeah. Some Cray Cray visuals going on there.

I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Up to season 3 of my slow rewatch of IASiP. Man, it's so good.
    Nearly finished All of Us Are Dead too. It recovered, only just, from it's mid season wobble but it's going on a bit - I'm not on the OMFG IT'S AMAZING camp but neither am I in the it's absolute shite camp. It's alright is all. Black Summer still rules the zombie TV series waves.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    My tip for All of Us Are Dead is don’t bother with the final episode.

The penultimate ep wraps everything up nicely (reaching the end of the comic it’s based on, I believe), the final one is just setting stuff up for a possible season 2. If you aren’t sure you’ll watch another season of it, you’ll miss nothing by not watching it.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Gremill wrote:
    Up to season 3 of my slow rewatch of IASiP. Man, it's so good.

I'm doing Arrested Dev and don't think it's anywhere near as good; I think Gob carries it. Humour.
  • I enjoyed this (and accompanying thread) on Twitter - detailing the various notes Alex Hirsch received from Disney censors when making "Gravity Falls".

(For the uninitiated Gravity Falls was a sweet, funny, surprisingly clever cartoon made 10 years ago which I absolutely recommend watching with your kids.  In fact, I'd recommend borrowing some kids just to have an excuse to watch it...)
  • Your honor, I was instructed to do this by a doctor.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!