#Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Goes very nicely with the matching Unfinished Tales edition.
    Get schwifty.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Oh I say.   Love that slipcase.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    God, my Folio Society The Book of the New Sun set is quality control issue bingo full house - damaged coloured edge, scrapes on the covers, slipcase damaged on corner, ink from the coloured edges bleeding into pages. The last one's not actually a deal-breaker for me but this is really disappointing at this price point. I'm gonna ask for another copy but I really hope Folio Society limit their non-western Europe printing to eastern Europe in future (I've had a few books from various publishers printed in Slovakia and they've all been nice) as it doesn't seem the quality control coming out of China is a good fit for their brand at all.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The Man on the Moon from Folio I was eyeing up is sold out already. :(
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    The Man on the Moon from Folio I was eyeing up is sold out already. :(

Back in stock by the end of May apparently.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I have a notify set up.
  • @ERE I got lucky and got a pretty unscathed copy, but TBotNS seems to have become the poster boy for how Folio shouldn’t do it. I assume it’s due to availability of resource rather than cost as they don’t exactly shy away from using the better European firms.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Replacement arrived. Slipcase and coloured tops are fine this fine but the scraped cover plates are even worse than the first set. Sigh.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Folio have published  The Master and Margarita.

Looks great.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    Folio have published  The Master and Margeurita.

Looks great.

Printed in Wales apparently so should be decent quality.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Another tempter

• Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I want Mythical Beasts.
    Get schwifty.
  • Yeah that’s the only one that has caught my eye.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Same here!
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Mythical Beasts in printed in China apparently. :/
  • Uh-oh.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The Master and Margarita is a bonkers but wonderful book about the Devil coming to town with a giant cat as a companion; causing mayhem and leaving a lot of embarrassed people in his wake.

Was quite a while ago when I read it and there's probably some clever analogies I missed but the pure spectacle is entertaining in itself and there is the best account of a hangover I have ever read or watched or heard.

Was hard to get physically for a long time - I read it on Kindle - but I have nice softback edition I picked up a few years ago in Waterstone's  ...   but I fancy the Folio edition.
  • Mythical Beasts is illustrated by an illustrator i know. Lovely guy who’s had some very hard times. He recently had a children’s book published about sorting and classifying

https://www.amazon.co.uk/One-Kind-Story-Sorting-Classifying/dp/1536211214
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    My mother is clearing out my Dad's old books. A long time due - he died 8 years ago.

She handed me his copy of Spike Milligan's Where have all the bullets gone? which is Vol.5 of his war memoires. He was in Italy.  By this volume, Milligan has been taken from the front line after showing signs of what would now be PTSD or some mental health issue. Italy was a blood bath - he was at Cassino so it comes as no surprise.

He makes light of it though and amusing anecdotes are delivered skillfully with jokes woven in. The general chaos of the war was definitely a major influence on his humour later in his career. Safe to say he didn't entirely recover. This book includes his first meeting with Harry Secombe who himself was invalided off the front line after his post took a direct hit from a shell. Going by Milligan's description, he is completely bonkers at this point.

He is in an army entertainment group and plays trumpet and guitar in some jazz trios etc. and does a post VE day tour of Italy. The book also covers a couple of weeks leave he gets back on Blighty. Post war Britain doesn't sound like a great leave destination.

Milligan shows his writing skills when he drops the humour and genuinely reflects on how he felt at the time and it's a touching work. I think I'll be looking for the other books in this series.

I found a few dried out leaves in the book - it was a habit my Dad had and he also used them as bookmarks.  Bittersweet. :)
  • davyK thanks for that, really interesting. I’ve been listening to the james holland we have ways of making you talk podcast which is about world war 2 since the pandemic began. Really got me into reading about the war - crazy how poor school history is on it.

In a completed unrelated topic... has anyone read the Expanse series of sci-fi books? I’ve just finished the TV series and am wondering if the books are any good.

For good sci-fi which is less heavy than 3 body problem, cage of souls is super (based on earth, world is dying, last remnants of human civilisation type vibe). A memory called Empire is interesting. First in a series. Ancillary Justice also interesting. And again first in a series. Both have ‘mystery’ elements to them. Both written by women I believe which is refreshing given how the genre has typically been dominated.
    GT: Knight640
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Have also completed a re-read of The Master and Margerita.  I was prompted to do this by the recent release of a Folio edition.

It's amazing how much one forgets of a book sometimes.  This is a masterpiece and I thoroughly recommend it.  I don't want to spoil but essentially, The Devil comes to Moscow with a band of demons and causes chaos but seemingly with a purpose for good - there's a parallel tale involving Pontius Pilate and his guilt which is captured in a novel that was burned by an author who went mad - and the Devil's visit is wrapped up in that.

Stupendous , fantastical scenes are described in beautifully translated prose. Wonderful , colourful and thoughtful stuff.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I might have to look into getting that one. Sounds like my jam.
    Get schwifty.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I finished reading Star Wars: Ahsoka today and it was a 360-page WASTE OF TIME.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Finished Senlin Ascends the other day and while it didn't really grab me until quite far in, I'm still annoyed that I didn't realize it's from a series (4 books I think) and the library doesn't have any of the others.
  • Questor
    Show networks
    Steam
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/questornz/

Send message
    if you have a kindle Nina, I can probably *ahem* find you the others.....
  • The 4th and final one is out soon. I'm really looking forward to it.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Questor wrote:
    if you have a kindle Nina, I can probably *ahem* find you the others.....
    Nah I'm reading the paper things. Find I sleep better that way. Thanks though!

The 4th and final one is out soon. I'm really looking forward to it.
    Is it worth trying to find them for a good price? I struggled with the business of writing in the beginning, there was so much info and it felt so dense to read / imagine at times that I found it hard to read much. It started to grab me around
    Spoiler:

• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Fall : The Mystery of Robert Maxwell is a breezy read and attempts to give insight to the character of Maxwell. He was quite a character - born into crippling poverty in a bleak Czech village, a decorated soldier from WW2 and MP who rose to be a publishing magnate. If his obsessions hadn't got the hold of him he could have lived a successful and happy life. It is perhaps the guilt of his survival (most of his family were murdered in Auschwitz) that drove him ever onwards towards probably undefined and unreachable goals.  A fine , well researched (as well as it can be done with a figure such as this) book.
  • This is written by a pal, has been getting outrageously great reviews since it came out, and is going for 99p on Kindle today.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07YLBBNM3

I’ve just bought it, some of you might fancy it too.

EdYADHLWAAwPdV7.jpg
  • Bought
    Gamertag: gremill

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!