The Car thread
  • I wasn't suggesting to actually sell to wbac, just see if they would offer more than the £550.

For sure. Just go in with your eyes open that they can chip you for hundreds of £££ when you arrive.
    The Forum Herald™
  • I sold my wife's disco sport and bought a petrol Q5. Best trade ever. Fuck land-rover in eye.
  • Lol. Welcome to a new world of pain.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    What's the cheapest car you currently have, Bob?
  • Just realised that in about 20 months time I won’t be able to take my car into Glasgow any more. The city centre’s becoming a ULEZ, like Central London. £60 fine if I drive over the boundary. Mrs poprock’s car will be okay, mine won’t. Bugger.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Can’t you pay? Brum did it in June. You pay £8 for the day but have to pay before you drive through the cameras.
  • Escape wrote:
    What's the cheapest car you currently have, Bob?

Depends what you want mate. We tend
    Not to retail anything less than about £3995 as it’s not cost effective to recondition them but I’ve always got a selection of specials if someone wants a runner .. let me get my bunting
    The Forum Herald™
  • b0r1s wrote:
    Can’t you pay? Brum did it in June. You pay £8 for the day but have to pay before you drive through the cameras.

Nope. The Glasgow plan is a full-on ban. ANPR cameras on all boundary roads, fixed penalty of £60. Reduced to £30 if you pay within seven days. Penalties double for each repeat offence, up to a max of £480 per infraction. Multipliers are reset after 90 days without offending.
  • Here's hoping they reinvest it into fixing some potholes. I'm now in 2021 dodging the same ones in Shettleston I felt when I bussed it through there to college in 2008. Roads are an absolute shambles here.
  • I know this sort of legislation has to happen, but that doesn’t mean I like it. I don’t want the world to keep burning. But I also don’t like that it creates a two-tiered society for the city whereby the wealthy can drive themselves into the city centre while us plebs have to spend spend spend on overpriced public transport. I mean, right now it’s £20 for me and the Mrs to take a train to work, versus a fiver for us to drive and park.
  • Here's hoping they reinvest it into fixing some potholes. I'm now in 2021 dodging the same ones in Shettleston I felt when I bussed it through there to college in 2008. Roads are an absolute shambles here.
    I was only very briefly on the edge of Edinburgh a couple of months back and noticed what a fucking mess the roads were. Like driving over a teenager's face.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    poprock wrote:
    I know this sort of legislation has to happen, but that doesn’t mean I like it. I don’t want the world to keep burning. But I also don’t like that it creates a two-tiered society for the city whereby the wealthy can drive themselves into the city centre while us plebs have to spend spend spend on overpriced public transport. I mean, right now it’s £20 for me and the Mrs to take a train to work, versus a fiver for us to drive and park.

It is very regressive.

• Aye, public transport isn't much better. All three services in the city (bus, rail, subway) operated by three different entities, and no modern integrated ticketing system for those that need to use more than one, or all three. There's the "zonecard" system but it is ridiculously extortionate and bang out of date.

But hey, if you're a COP 26 delegate you get a free travel pass that let's you onto everything. So that's nice.
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    Parking in city centres shouldn't be as easy as it currently is but everyone has got used to it, which is causing huge problems in terms of congestion and air quality in most cities, amongst many other things. Electric cars clearly aren't going to fix the congestion issues. I own one, but avoid driving anywhere near the city centre in Edinburgh where possible. Edinburgh does have its own plans for a LEZ, but they are very weak and are quite unlikely to make a meaningful difference... Public transport needs to become so cheap and reliable that that it reverts to being the default travel option, but it's going to take far bigger changes for that to become a reality.
  • Carrot rather than stick would be the better way to enact change.

Make public transport more appealing, rather than private transport less so.
  • But hey, if you're a COP 26 delegate you get a free travel pass that let's you onto everything. So that's nice.

This isn’t really the thread to moan about CoP26, but … fucking fuck me. Another positive, important thing that’s being handled really badly and pissing everyone off.

We’ve been told we have to close our office. Not allowed in because it’s close to George Square and therefore ‘at risk’ from expected protests. Museums and galleries closed, roads closed, trains on strike, bin collections on strike … and the visitors flying in get to skip Covid tests, receive free bus passes, and attend huge crowded events for two weeks solid. Glasgow’s going to be hit with a massive spike in Covid cases after they all leave again, just in time to be locked down for Christmas. Yay.
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    poprock wrote:
    Carrot rather than stick would be the better way to enact change. Make public transport more appealing, rather than private transport less so.

I think it has to be carrot and stick approach because so many people are so used to the status quo, e.g. to the point that when comparing realtive cost of public transport with driving, many of the costs of driving are simply ignored so that it appears far superior, in much the same way that when comparing the environmental costs of EVs and ICEs, many of the costs of ICE production were being ignored... This won't be taken well though so will likely require a generational shift; it's unfortunate that we don't really have time to take that long at this point.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Bob wrote:
    We tend Not to retail anything less than about £3995 as it’s not cost effective to recondition them but I’ve always got a selection of specials if someone wants a runner

That's not too bad. New cars have increased so much over the past 20 years, I'm a little surprised the used market hasn't been dragged along more. It's an interesting case of depreciation tracking because enough people are still on tight budgets.

Wealthier new-car buyers are taking bigger hits unless they buy EVs, which probably need to reach affordability for the masses far more urgently.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    The 25k Tesla will help enormously. Couple of years away unfortunately.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    I'd love for someone to knock out electric Sevens for £10k (I reckon Caterham'll charge triple that for theirs, with more performance than it needs). You'd get enough juice from not much battery if you stop being silly about a sub-3 0-60.

The classic Mini and Renault 5 are also great platforms. I don't know how far modern regs apply to kitcar makers, but if they could sneak one through...

The motorbike market has some budget options now, but those are all moped equivalents, even though their frames could handle a lot more power. And then there's a massive gap, with top-end electrics starting at £15k. I'd like a KTM E-Ride with cheaper components for half the price. If AJP made one, say.
  • Someone needs to knock up a generic lightweight electric platform for kit car builders to license and do their thing on top of. It’s the sort of thing Lotus might have done in the past, but someone else needs to pick up the gig now.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    A modern coach builder?
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Or vice versa?
  • Vice versa, empowering all the wee kit car firms to act as modern coachbuilders.

R&D and manufacturing costs for EV platforms is too expensive for the small firms to invest in - licensing a good, lightweight, reliable generic platform would open so many doors.
  • S2000 needs "a little bit of welding" to pass its MOT.  I didn't ask.
  • Proof that ‘stored in a dry garage’ on used car ads means fuck all.
  • In fairness, it's been on the driveway for the last year as the garage is FULL OF CRAP.
  • Bob wrote:
    Lol. Welcome to a new world of pain.

Research says it is problem free.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    poprock wrote:
    Vice versa, empowering all the wee kit car firms to act as modern coachbuilders. R&D and manufacturing costs for EV platforms is too expensive for the small firms to invest in - licensing a good, lightweight, reliable generic platform would open so many doors.

I'm sometimes greeted by a recumbent while loading SolidWorks, and a lot of its parts are relatively cheap. One of my local bike garages can build frames affordably (for customs), because you're mostly paying for their bending skills. And then we've ebikes and their conversion kits.

In terms of building a locost, not having to source the engine or weld a DIY tank is a massive deal, leaving what amounts to an upmarket kart. If a company could just provide SVA-ready kits and a range of batteries...

And because Sevens aren't practical, I'd also like a Metro-sized effort, with things like powersteering, audio and airbags as options. It wasn't so long ago I was driving a 106 without them.
  • Toyota have developed an entire hydrogen powertrain ‘in a box’ that they’re ready to sell to small carmakers. No point yet though, when there’s no hydrogen infrastructure for refuelling.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!