The Car thread
  • Too much shit in these cars.
    When Autosteer is engaged, it uses several controls to monitor that the driver
    is engaged in continuous and sustained responsibility for the vehicle’s
    operation as required. If the driver attempts to engage Autosteer when
    conditions are not met for engagement, the feature will alert the driver it is
    unavailable through visual and audible alerts, and Autosteer will not engage.
    Likewise, if the driver operates Autosteer in conditions where its functionality
    may be limited or has become deteriorated due to environmental or other
    circumstances, the feature may warn the driver with visual and audible alerts,
    restrict speed, and/or instruct the driver to intervene immediately.
    In certain circumstances when Autosteer is engaged, the prominence and scope
    of the feature’s controls may not be sufficient to prevent driver misuse of the
    SAE Level 2 advanced driver-assistance feature.

Where the fuck is the off button?
  • I don't get modern tech. People seem to enjoy being nagged.
    You aren't driving your driverless aids right! Bing bing bing
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    It’s saved my bacon a few times so not all bad aids.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • Bought myself a new (old) car today. My new job doesn’t include a company car like my old job, so the 3 series goes back to my old employer next week. I didn’t want to spend much as I really want to get a Civic Type R, but can’t quite fund that yet. Therefore I have purchased a standard used Civic with a 1.5 litre petrol engine. It’s nicely finished and I love the Rallye red colour.
  • Sounds good.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Few weeks ago, had the dust guard behind the front passenger side brake came off its fitting so it just made a load of noise whilst travelling, really annoying. Checked about and seen it wasn't a dvla required fitment so eventually just paid the local garage to take it off. Fittings had rusted completely, twas the week of Christmas so didn't want to arse about waiting on parts etc.

So tonight I'm driving my brother and his missus to our mums for dinner, he's asking how I'm going in the new car. Literally as I'm fucking telling him about the dust guard on the front passenger side, a very familiar rattle starts coming from the front driver side.

It's happened again. Fuck me.
  • For lolz in the last week of October last year my mrs started an instagram account for the modding journey on both our minis.

We have some how managed to get over 800 followers since then.

Just looking at pics of cars, putting bits on cars, what's gone wrong etc. 800 plus? The worlds gone mad
    PSN - minkymu
  • Up at 6.30 this morning to take the X3 back to the dealership in Stirling to finally have a few minor issues sorted. Expected an argument, but mercifully they just said “yes, we’ll sort all that for you Sir.”
    So they’ve got her for a couple of days now, so have had to give me a courtesy car.

Just sign here Sir, and I’ll get the car for you.

…um… so what are you giving me?

It’s a mini Sir.

lol, no thanks.

But it’s a lovely car sir, I have one myself. It’s electric too!

Fuck no! I do not want an electric mini thank you.

But it’s a lovely car sir, and it’s the only one I have.

Really? You’re a car dealer with no cars?

All the petrol cars are with other clients sir.

Well I guess I’ll just have to sit here for the next two days and wait, because I do not want an electric mini.

At which point, her manager comes over and says, we don’t want to disappoint our customers Heather, so I’ve found him a different car. Give him this…

RTqTgTk.jpg

Thank you sir, much appreciated. That one will be fine. :)
  • Awesome, lovely stuff.

An electric car is a stupid move as a loan car.
  • That's a 2, yes? Always liked their shape.
  • It’s always nice to win the courtesy/rental car lottery.
  • That's a 2, yes? Always liked their shape.

Yup. It’s very nice.
  • Got the latest touchscreen interior tho. All the buttons gone. Do not like.
    ZKKGBsT.jpg
    Idiotic design over functionality.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    Awesome, lovely stuff.

An electric car is a stupid move as a loan car.
    You can charge it at home sir.

I live in a flat.

Ah…
  • OK but how many deliveries do you need to make while you're driving it?
  • Dammit Jim, I’m a cameraman, not an obstetrician!
  • LivDiv wrote:
    Maybe they should lower the fucking prices.
    Supply and demand and all that yeah.

Hold fire. They’ll be dropping the price of new EVs to very very shortly
    The Forum Herald™
  • mannaboy
    Show networks
    Steam
    mannaboy
    Wii
    mannaboy

Send message
    I’m driving a Chinese electric rental car that gives me the feeling it has a couple of AAs as batteries.

The biggest annoyance is charging, the fast chargers I have closest access to, don’t have tap & go payments available. Signing into the website, as I can’t install the UK app, is hit or miss if I get through the payment section successfully. Also first time I got through payment successfully, I left the car and came back to find it wasn’t charging at all.

Last time I charged it, the payment just wouldn’t go through. I ended up calling the charger company and was put through to a very nice man from Cork, who manually set up the payment and activated the charger.

I’m flying home very early tomorrow morning and Hertz want the car returned at 80%, I can’t charge at the rental home, so I’ve got to spend an hour at a charger or swallow the refill fee.

The happiness of this trip home has somewhat been soured by this nonsense. Rental companies obviously see the profit in using electric cars, but seem little bothered by their customers having to jump through hoops to use the bloody things!
    Things can only get better.
  • Things are no longer going well at the dealer.
    There may be swearing…
  • Calm down Graeme!
  • Nnnnnnnnnnnggg…
  • https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-67890627?fbclid=IwAR04u9awiJA9DV_5aL__fBRcoZHPB8NPkjryrJqcS0tlPG4CynRiy8WVYvc_aem_AfeRnJ5tDsF1rfmXe0TJQjpfvpXwyq1r_3Au7Q8PBmb5zLsZozAa6UraO-HofKVyU0Q

And here’s the confirmation - sales flat line
    And I’ll tell you what dealers and manufacturers do they’ll discount and they’ll discount heavily

And that will fuck residuals
    The Forum Herald™
  • Too expensive to start with.
    Electricity has gone up much more than petrol as a percentage.

Just not economically as viable now.
  • But EVs accounted for 16.5% of new vehicles sold in the UK last year — down slightly from the 16.6% purchased in 2022.

It's.1 of a percent. Also, sales haven't flatlined - rose to a record 315,000
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Bob wrote:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-67890627?fbclid=IwAR04u9awiJA9DV_5aL__fBRcoZHPB8NPkjryrJqcS0tlPG4CynRiy8WVYvc_aem_AfeRnJ5tDsF1rfmXe0TJQjpfvpXwyq1r_3Au7Q8PBmb5zLsZozAa6UraO-HofKVyU0Q And here’s the confirmation - sales flat line And I’ll tell you what dealers and manufacturers do they’ll discount and they’ll discount heavily And that will fuck residuals

Nevertheless, unless hydrogen comes along or something else equally revolutionary, ICEs are dead. It will eventually happen that cars with decent range can be sold at affordable prices and be able take advantage of actual useable charging networks.

My investments in lithium mines require this
  • Anyone here ever had an issue where, on frosty mornings, there's a build up of an insane amount of frost on the inside of the windscreen? Noticing it now with this cold snap and fuck me if it isn't annoying. Also a secondary issue of, the actual AC barely has heat, if at all, on full blast. All makes for very annoying mornings trying to defrost a ice cage at 5am for work. I know the AC needs regassed etc but any ideas for the windscreen? Checked the seals on the doors, didn't spot any defects letting cold air in.
  • Maybe it’s too well sealed? If you’re driving around with the heaters up full and creating heat, the moisture is rising and hitting the glass. Then when you’re home and it’s all turned off it’s freezing. Perhaps try cranking your window down a little bit as you drive around?
  • Get some tights, fill them with cat litter, put them on your dashboard. As well as giving local strays a place to shit when they’re out and about, they’ll absorb the excess moisture like those little sachets of silica gel.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Anyone here ever had an issue where, on frosty mornings, there's a build up of an insane amount of frost on the inside of the windscreen? Noticing it now with this cold snap and fuck me if it isn't annoying. Also a secondary issue of, the actual AC barely has heat, if at all, on full blast. All makes for very annoying mornings trying to defrost a ice cage at 5am for work. I know the AC needs regassed etc but any ideas for the windscreen? Checked the seals on the doors, didn't spot any defects letting cold air in.

There's moisture in the car and it's condensing on the warm window when you park up at night. Try running the AC on cold for 2-3 minutes on the defog setting before switching off and see if that helps.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!