The Car thread
  • Righto, cheers folks. Had a look in my emails and I've a 6month Gold RAC Warranty so hopefully gonna get the AC fixed for sure. Will try those tips. Sorry, I'm terribly naive with certain motoring things.
  • They tell you it’s been re-gassed but they never do it.
  • Failed to be a manly man this morning.
    Bloke in my estate flagged me down to jump start his car.
    Never jumped from my current car before, it's an Auris hybrid.
    Found the battery in the boot, connected up but no joy. Googling showed someone using a point in the fusebox of a Prius (my car is basically a mini Prius)
    Anyone have any knowledge of this?
    [quote=Skerret]Unless someone very obviously insults your loved ones with intent, take nothing here seriously.[/quote]
  • You attempted to do it the right way, but your little 12v battery didn’t have the oomph needed to jump start someone. Hybrids use lower amperage batteries and often lack the electrical punch to actually do it. Kind of ironic, really.

Whatever you do, never try to give a jump start from the ‘jump start’ point elsewhere on the car (usually in or near the fusebox, as you said). Those are for if you need to be jump started. Not for providing one.

Toyota and Lexus hybrid manuals literally tell you not to attempt providing jump starts to anyone.
  • Cheers Pop.
    I had thought that originally til my wife came home one day all happy with herself for giving someone a jump.
    It's not something you usually come across. I've had this car 6 yrs 
    Just caught off guard this morning and Google sent me in every direction. There's a vid on YouTube of some guy giving a jump from his Prius fusebox!
    [quote=Skerret]Unless someone very obviously insults your loved ones with intent, take nothing here seriously.[/quote]
  • Always remember the golden rule of engineering: Just because someone made it work once doesn’t mean it’s a good idea!
  • Haha
  • Anyone here ever had an issue where, on frosty mornings, there's a build up of an insane amount of frost on the inside of the windscreen? Noticing it now with this cold snap and fuck me if it isn't annoying. Also a secondary issue of, the actual AC barely has heat, if at all, on full blast. All makes for very annoying mornings trying to defrost a ice cage at 5am for work. I know the AC needs regassed etc but any ideas for the windscreen? Checked the seals on the doors, didn't spot any defects letting cold air in.

Yep it happens on my Alfa MiTo. I had to replace my heater a while back and it seems to be on its way out again. Best part of £400 it cost to fix IIRC. I would recommend one of those bags of silica gel, they absorb a lot of internal moisture, and can be regenerated using a microwave
  • Nice, thanks. Turns out the frost on the inside was a combo of me attempting to use the warm fans that are never warm spreading moisture and me usually going to my car for a smoke before bed. The exhalations add to it. Last night I blasted only cold air and wiped it down with a chamois demister square thing I have. Was fine this morning. Of course it being a few degrees "warmer" in the air helps.

Still probably need the AC fixed for hot air to work. That's a problem for payday.
  • Still haven't managed to find an answer to my question online so I will ask again.

I'm looking at buying a car that was registered 1st of March 2018.

The standard tax for a year is £180.

The list price was over £40,000, so it incurs an annual surcharge of up to £520 until 29/02/2024.

Say I buy the car 01/02/2024, and I pay monthly, will I pay the £49.88 for February, and then £15 for March?

Say I buy the car 01/02/2024, and I want to pay the full tax outright, will it be £520 or will it be pro-rata'd, so something like £230?
  • Had a customer in this week. Bought a top of the range Zoe from the local Renault stealer in December 2022. Done 4,000 miles don’t like it too small. How much on par exchange? CAP black book value? £13k. 13 months and nearly £20k pissed away not counting paint protection, mats, electric and servicing..

Makes petrol look cheap. EV owners still blissfully telling everyone how amazing it is … priceless
    The Forum Herald™
  • That's horrendous. Any ideas about my tax query though please Bob? :)
  • No sorry we have bespoke laws here in the Isle of Man
    The Forum Herald™
  • I've got one. So, like many others, my windscreen wash stalk goes OFF - INT - LOW - HIGH, right? But my intermittent is currently going faster than the high setting.

The fucks that about?
  • There’s possible a secondary control that controls how sensitive the auto is now which has mostly replaced fhe intermittent. Look for some thing which has small rain drops and then bigger raindrops
    The Forum Herald™
  • Yeah that's there on the stalk and it does the same no matter the size of drip I leave it on. Driving me mental.
  • ZMM, you’ll pay the full year’s tax starting from the date you buy the car. Whatever portion of the previous year is remaining gets refunded to the previous owner. As the new owner, you start fresh on a full new year. And that includes paying the surcharge in full for the year. You’ll be charged £700 for the 12 months.

Only thing to consider is that VED is now charged by the calendar month, not to the exact date of purchase. So to get the most for your money you should buy your car on the 1st of the month.
  • Yeah that's there on the stalk and it does the same no matter the size of drip I leave it on. Driving me mental.

My old Renault had a rain sensor on it which you adjusted the sensitivity of. You could leave it on auto and wipers would only go when rain was detected.
    My current Toyota, you adjust the frequency of the intermittent swipe.
    Perhaps yours is like the former and something has built up over the sensor and it thinks it needs to go mental?
    A look through your manual might tell you where to look or else give the whole windscreen a good clean?
    Could be to do with the internal condensation though.
  • Bob wrote:
    Had a customer in this week. Bought a top of the range Zoe from the local Renault stealer in December 2022. Done 4,000 miles don’t like it too small. How much on par exchange? CAP black book value? £13k. 13 months and nearly £20k pissed away not counting paint protection, mats, electric and servicing..

Makes petrol look cheap. EV owners still blissfully telling everyone how amazing it is … priceless

Is this the case for all electric cars or just the really shit ones?
  • Our Lexus is in for its annual service today. Just got the engineer’s report with a list of additional items they say need doing. Eye-watering amount of money. Fuuuuuck. 

It’s the daily driver though, no choice but to approve the cost and get it all done. This is going to hurt though.
  • Aaaand they’ve changed their mind. “Oh no Sir, you don’t need to do X, Y and Z yet. They’ve been flagged as things you might need to do within a year or so. Don’t worry about them for now.”

Daft things like quoting X hundred quid for a scheduled air-con service, then telling me that actually that’s not due yet because they did it for free when we bought the car, which was only a few months ago.

And now they’re going to do a wheel alignment for free to apologise for freaking me out with the quote.
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    Had a customer in this week. Bought a top of the range Zoe from the local Renault stealer in December 2022. Done 4,000 miles don’t like it too small. How much on par exchange? CAP black book value? £13k. 13 months and nearly £20k pissed away not counting paint protection, mats, electric and servicing.. Makes petrol look cheap. EV owners still blissfully telling everyone how amazing it is … priceless
    Is this the case for all electric cars or just the really shit ones?

People have been criticising EVs for being too expensive for a long time (and they were). Now they are coming down in price (especially second hand), people are criticising them for being too cheap (but mostly only when they're getting a poor part exchange value for their own vehicle or riding the FUD bandwagon). A good argument for never buying new unless you plan on keeping something longer term...
  • BMW have now perfected the Hyrdogen and are pulling out of the EV market.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Could run a Renault on thin air and I wouldnt spend 30k on it.
  • We’re swapping a Tesla soon. Deprecation has been better than any other car we’ve ever had by a looooong way. Maybe it’s different on IoM I dunno. Anecdotes eh.
  • The Lexus guys tried to show me this and persuade me I should part exchange and buy it. I had to explain that there is no version of reality where I could afford it.

Bloomin’ gorgeous car though. They know my taste, right enough.

https://used.lexus.co.uk/approved-used/lexus-lc-500-coupe-5-0-v8-black-inspiration-auto-euro-6-2dr-jthhp5ay40a107397
  • Bob wrote:
    BMW have now perfected the Hyrdogen and are pulling out of the EV market.

Hydrogen is definitely the real future. All the HGVs will transition from diesel to Hydrogen, I reckon. Don't think there's an EV HGV with anything like a usable milage yet, is there?

Saying that, are there even any Hydrogen 'petrol' stations operating in the UK anymore?
  • Oh yes, Hydrogen is definitely the real future.

• Oh, not a YouTuber! I was obviously wrong! Let's keep burning fossil fuels :)
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I'm guessing you didn't watch it.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!