Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    MattyJ wrote:
    I can see that side, just it goes against him supposed to be looking after Luke. What exactly is he planning to do if the empire show up?

Get on the hologram blower to Leia's fatha. It's not like one Jedi being honed to peak power performance is going to make much difference is it? He's still not going to take them all on
  • Yeah I dont really see him as a bodyguard. More an overseer. Watch Luke for signs of showing force sensitivity and that he is using it to fly T-16s and not murder sand people.

It's about Luke not Vader. Vader doesn't even know Luke exists at this point.
  • Kenobi doesn’t know Vader is alive at the start of the show either.
  • Surely he should be able to sense he is still alive?
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • That's ya force inconsistency again.
    Mayber, mayber no. He doesn't so mayber yes.
  • Thinking back to the original trilogy the force was quite wafty, difficult to use, took training per trick and took a decent amount of effort.
    Jedi's were men who could do some neat tricks.

Over the years through subsequent movies, games and animations it has become a super power. Jedis are now more Superman than the highly trained soldiers or martial artists that influenced them.

If I was to pick a bit of force inconsistency from Kenobi that I really didn't like it was Old Ben fucking launching rocks at Vader. Where the hell did that come from? Out of the range of his powers before and after but even more so well out of character.

I find Jedi Star Wars content to be quite boring because of this now. They will inevitably pull a power out their arse to suit and then not use it later. Super speed run away at the start of Phantom Menace is an example. The ability/inability to sense each other is a bit all over the shop.

You pretty much have to accept it to enjoy Star Wars with Jedis.
  • MattyJ wrote:
    I can see that side, just it goes against him supposed to be looking after Luke. What exactly is he planning to do if the empire show up?
    Also why isn't he a bit more involved in their life? Did obi get drunk one Christmas and hit on Beru?
    I mean, kenobi gives them Luke to raise, puts his life on hold to stick around and protect Luke, and they act like he's some creepy stalker they want to go away. He must have spent too much time looking in the 'wrong' window

"Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • davyK wrote:
    The concept of the series was flawed because of that.
    Everything since the originals...or even since empire if you want to be picky
  • I imagine they don't trust him or Jedi in general after the shit that went down.
    It's pretty obvious in Ep 4 that Owen has no regard for the Jedi.

I'm not sure why you would think the family would care for Jedi when they have brought them nothing but trouble.
    They probably think him and his lot are complete cunts and just want to get on with farming moisture.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    I imagine they don't trust him or Jedi in general after the shit that went down.
    It's pretty obvious in Ep 4 that Owen has no regard for the Jedi.

I'm not sure why you would think the family would care for Jedi when they have brought them nothing but trouble.
    They probably think him and his lot are complete cunts and just want to get on with farming moisture.

I was just joking on really...but since at the end of kenobi they seem to build a connection it begs the same question again when by episode 4 it's "stay away from the crazy old wizard "
  • You have to wait for season 2 when Old Ben starts shitting in his hand and wiping on the vaporators.
  • Basically the answer to pretty much everything is that there is little to no consistency between the og trilogy and the rest.
    It's like the people who made everything after RoJ didn't see the movies they just read these...
    Vintage-Star-Wars-Play-A-Sound-Book-A-New-Hope.jpg

It's not worth stressing over. Just the way it is.
  • Yes I'm not stressed, nor asking serious questions looking for answers. The whole thing is a bit silly, hence the earlier post quoting Davyk...
  • I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Meh.
    Gravelly voiced postulating.
  • Yeah, that voice (Skarsgard?) really grated
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Looks good to me. Forrest Whittaker reprising his worst role isn't particularly appealing though
  • Feels a bit dry.
    Like Andor needs off setting with a fun villian.

It's the wrong era of course but Richard E Grant's character would be perfect. Not quite Rickman Prince of Thieves pantomime but similar.
    Someone who really enjoys being a shit. A Ramsey Snow type but PG.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    I just took it that he blamed himself for the fall of everything and had decided any form of practicing is a risk. They could have showed that more to be fair, in fact I had hoped the show might be a bit darker in that respect. They had an interesting conflicted character plus an actor with the chops to handle it but they stuck with Saturday matinee stuff.
    But at the beginning of the series Obi Wan is trying to convince Owen to let him train Luke. Which is totally at odds with Obi having lost faith in the force or lost his force mojo or whatever. Its simply shitty writing IMO.

Also, Im really NOT excited to see Saw Gerrera again. I love Forest Whitaker, but hate Saw. I don't know why, the character just grates.
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Its simply shitty writing IMO.

This is the way.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I think we are falling into the trap of taking it far too seriously. It's evidently not aimed at old gits who saw SW in the late 70s-early 80s.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Training and mentoring someone is different to doing it yourself. Look at how he trained Luke in ANH, here's a helmet, a lightsaber and a droid to zap you. Crack on while I sit down for a bit
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Has Luke ever had a sparring session using lightsabers? I can't think of a time he did. It's laughable that he's able to last five seconds against Vader to be honest
  • Has Luke ever had a sparring session using lightsabers? I can't think of a time he did. It's laughable that he's able to last five seconds against Vader to be honest
    I think it's in the RLM review of kenobi they discuss how in empire vader fights luke one handed, cos he's just toying with him and trying to capture him rather than kill him. maybe he gets a bit more practice in before jedi ;)
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    To be fair, in terms of Lucas-overseen media, I don't think Darth Vader is ever shown as being a super lightsabre bad-ass after he gets injured in ROTS and Lucas talks about that being one of the reasons the lightsabre stuff in the prequels is more dynamic than the OT. I don't think it was until Disney produced Rogue One that Darth Vader was portrayed as being still as being as dynamic as Anakin in the prequels.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • The woodoo hide impairs his duelling abilities.
  • davyK wrote:
    I think we are falling into the trap of taking it far too seriously. It's evidently not aimed at old gits who saw SW in the late 70s-early 80s.
    To an extent I agree with you, but is that a valid excuse for lazy, shitty writing? 
    Many of the problems people are pointing out with Obi Wan are surface-level issues that are too obvious to ignore. I don't think people are poring over the scripts looking for holes to poke. It's all right there in your face. Im not sure it is  squarely aimed at kids though( I doubt it, knowing Disney have most likely worked out precise demographics).

Take Bail Organa as an example. He phones up Obi Wan up and says "Yo, go find Leia now. It has to be you" and off Obi Wan trots leaving Luke defenceless AFTER seeing the Inquisitors on Tattooine AND hearing Reva say she would murder Owen's family. Did no one in the writer's room put up their hand and take issue with that?
    A simple fix would have been Bail explaining that he sent bounty hunters, his own soldiers etc and no one could find Leia and so he turned to Obi as a last resort. Have the Owen/Reva scene happen but with Obi gone off-world. That would have built tension IMO and fixed the issue of Obi leaving. That inconsistency is just right out there, part of the central plot. Would kids notice? Who knows but that's some shitty writing.

As a counter-example, take any of the Indiana Jones movies. I'm sure they are full of plot holes if you sit back and take stock, but just watching them at face value the internal logic is followed enough for those holes to not be so readily apparent.
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Or you watched them when you were young enough not to have noticed them.
  • I always find this 'they're just for kids' defence of star wars media a bit weird and a big cop out really. I'd take a guess that the vast majority of star wars fans are adults. there certainly seems to be a lot of adults discussing and viewing each new movie/show. the idea they would/should make everything just for 8 year olds who are also huge fans of a 40+ year old film trilogy and a 20+ year old trilogy seems weird. it's not all kids going to star wars 'cons' and buying £300 lego sets...i don't think this forum is an outlier in being the only adults that watch star wars stuff.

i'm not saying they need to be more 'adult' than they are in theme or content, or that it can't appeal to kids too, but a family movie doesn't have to mean it's done without much care or consideration to how it impacts past/future stories in the universe. if it's just for 8 year olds who don't care a jot about continuity or anything to do with the wider story, why bring back mcGregor and especially Hayden? who gives a shit if it's really him in the vader suit or under the makeup? why bring back the original cast in the sequel trilogy? they do that stuff to appeal to older viewers, fans of the earlier films...so to then dismiss any criticism with 'the films aren't for you old man' is a bit ridiculous really.

it's also kind of insulting to kids - i watched kenobi with my youngest daughter and whilst she enjoyed it there was still plenty of times she would notice stupid and incoherent things that would take her out of it. same thing with the disney films and prequels...we've watched them and she's like "they're ok" but she has no real interest in watching them again. unlike the originals which we've watched more than once and when i was a kid i watched them over and over and still enjoyed as an adult.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!