I Wanna Get It On With Jahbulon : The Shmups/STG Thread
  • Can't DL it until then
    :(
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • wonderbanana
    Show networks
    Twitter
    NanasParadox
    Xbox
    Wonderbanana
    PSN
    Wonderbanana
    Steam
    Wonderbanana

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    I keep meaning to try and get Crimson Clover and also Perfect Cherry Blossom at some point. I think the latter is easily obtained, I am just lazy though.

Oh yeah, need to get Eschatos too.

As I said to Fent, I am more than happy to loan out my Crimson if you want. Not played Escahtos yet as bashing Halo 4 on Legendary but I'll post impressions once I give it a go. Got UD arriving next week too.

What were peeps impressions of Sine Mora? I tried demo but despite the very good gfx I wasn't too taken with it tbh. I'd still probably buy it on Vita though.

Dunno if you got my PM re: GG Elf but I'll take a nose this wekend mate. Been a bit of a lazy arse tbh.
  • Cheers, I'll take you up on the offer of Crimson Clover! Yes, got your PM on GG, look forward to receiving more details.

Sine Mora seemed ok from what I played, but there was nothing in it to really get me to fire it up again. Quite a simple little shooter.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • wonderbanana
    Show networks
    Twitter
    NanasParadox
    Xbox
    Wonderbanana
    PSN
    Wonderbanana
    Steam
    Wonderbanana

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    Cheers, I'll take you up on the offer of Crimson Clover!

PM you addy mate and I'll pop in post next week.

• hylian_elf wrote:
    I keep meaning to try and get Crimson Clover and also Perfect Cherry Blossom at some point. I think the latter is easily obtained, I am just lazy though.

As I said to Fent, I am more than happy to loan out my Crimson if you want. Not played Escahtos yet as bashing Halo 4 on Legendary but I'll post impressions once I give it a go. Got UD arriving next week too.

What were peeps impressions of Sine Mora? I tried demo but despite the very good gfx I wasn't too taken with it tbh. I'd still probably buy it on Vita though.

It reminded me of R-Type Final. It's OK, but it's very trad. If I had a Vita I'd buy it for sure, but it rarely gets a look on Xbox. I'd play Strania, instead.
    Ross Kemp Investigative Journalist
    Skullfuck yourself into a fine mist
  • wonderbanana
    Show networks
    Twitter
    NanasParadox
    Xbox
    Wonderbanana
    PSN
    Wonderbanana
    Steam
    Wonderbanana

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:

It reminded me of R-Type Final. It's OK, but it's very trad. If I had a Vita I'd buy it for sure, but it rarely gets a look on Xbox. I'd play Strania, instead.

I'm definitely not purchasing on XBLA even if on offer. Also I don't like Strania though it is well made.

• There's a shelf of stuff I'd play before Strania, but the odd thing is that every time I play it, I come away wondering why the fuck I don't play it.
  • You might not be too keen in Eschatos, then. It's a lot like Strania, it's just slightly more addictive thanks to the scoring system.
  • wonderbanana
    Show networks
    Twitter
    NanasParadox
    Xbox
    Wonderbanana
    PSN
    Wonderbanana
    Steam
    Wonderbanana

Send message
    You might not be too keen in Eschatos, then. It's a lot like Strania, it's just slightly more addictive thanks to the scoring system.

Not tried it yet bud but from the vids I think I'll enjoy it.  Reminds me of a DC game that escapes me at the mo.
  • Sine Mora is a good laugh like like . Good looking game. Blue bullets wtf on sky?
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • Gah i cant find the dev thread for shabbys/skerrets game and hes out hence not on skype atm, can anyone link?

I'm going to be leeching on that but theres some crossover into a part of my own game

I'm about to set about some super serious research and education into shooters - specificaly side scrolling non bullet hell types (i spose think old school but faster.. einhander?). Its for a bit in my game innit. Can anyone suggest things i should be watching. it would be much appreciated. Like shabbys question im looking for bullet patterns, attack formation, enemy types/mix/function and so on. Its just an aspect of the gameplay but something i want to get absolutely right

I'll def bother shabby later about it too
  • Cuckoo, if you're going for something oldschool make the scoring system very simple. I'd cite Eschatos as an example of this. Present the player with small enemy waves that appear on screen for a limited time, in order to keep your chain/combo you must kill everything in that wave before they either pass you buy or fly off screen to the left/right- display the score achieved in that wave then clear the text and present the player with the next wave. It harks back to stuff like Galaga, but in a sidescroller stylee. Every successfully cleared wave multiplies by 2, allow the player to stack their multiplier up to say maybe x20, and for every incomplete wave the player forfeits x2 of their multiplier. If they die, it's reset.
  • Reminds me of a DC game that escapes me at the mo.

Looks like a vert Border Down.

• I hadnt even thought about a score system, because of the context i'd have to describe the score in something more subtle than a number, but i dig the idea, its compelling and if i can tie it into a greater context then thats great. I'll get youtubing that and, just for visual cues, sine mora, although i know you dont like it. Thanks for the reply lawro, from the top of your head can you offer any suggestions for youtubing? I'd like as broad a base of examples to get a lead from but i suppose remain focussed, also it'll be very visual so some inspiration as to what could be done there (sidey obvously but 2.5 D if you get me)

I'll def be winging stuff your way to have a jab at when its more together, if you dont mind, i can deal with scathing criticism
  • No worries, will be back.

• Ross Kemp Investigative Journalist
  • wonderbanana
    Show networks
    Twitter
    NanasParadox
    Xbox
    Wonderbanana
    PSN
    Wonderbanana
    Steam
    Wonderbanana

Send message
    So Under Defeat arrived this morning. Very tempted to have a bash later despite being engrossed in Halo 4. Anyone else picked it up?
  • Not this version, I sold my import for £40 shortly after RSG announced and I'm waiting on the inevitible price drop. The new red RSG exclusive chopper looks great.
  • Thinking about it. Maybe next month.
  • Ach, when was it out? Friday? Didn't see it in HMV when I browsed, although they're not likely to get it in, are they?

I'll order it today.

EDIT: Actually, it's bound to go down in price soon, I'll just wait. Have plenty to play as it is.
  • wonderbanana
    Show networks
    Twitter
    NanasParadox
    Xbox
    Wonderbanana
    PSN
    Wonderbanana
    Steam
    Wonderbanana

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    Ach, when was it out? Friday? Didn't see it in HMV when I browsed, although they're not likely to get it in, are they?

I'll order it today.

EDIT: Actually, it's bound to go down in price soon, I'll just wait. Have plenty to play as it is.

Yeah Friday mate.

It will definitely go down in price no doubt. I try and buy Rising Stars shooters near launch as I'm hoping that by buying early it'll encourage them to port more stuff over. Whether it makes any diff though I have no idea.
  • I think they and Cave have had a spat. Apparently the new DDP is going to be a multi region release.
  • wonderbanana
    Show networks
    Twitter
    NanasParadox
    Xbox
    Wonderbanana
    PSN
    Wonderbanana
    Steam
    Wonderbanana

Send message
    I think they and Cave have had a spat. Apparently the new DDP is going to be a multi region release.

Given a choice I prefer the multi-region releases tbh. Well other than the price hike anyway. (Actually I'm assuming you mean region-free rather than Cave releasing in all regions?)

• I think they and Cave have had a spat. Apparently the new DDP is going to be a multi region release.

Given a choice I prefer the multi-region releases tbh. Well other than the price hike anyway. (Actually I'm assuming you mean region-free rather than Cave releasing in all regions?)

Apparently not, but I can only really go with chatter from shmups.com which comes from Japanese/English translations of news reports and blog posts. They seem to suggest that Cave are region locking, but releasing a PAL and NTSC US version and distributing it themselves with a seperate price tag.
  • Bah, that probably still means a long wait for it to appear in UK.
  • cheers for the links lawro! hugely appreciated, just watched a longplay of gradius v, that must have been one of the best things i have ever seen, how did i miss that game. enough inspiration for 100 sine moras in that. i watched sine mora too, was balls.
  • Gradius V seconded here. Great game. Treasure shmups are great inspiration.
  • Sine Mora is stuck in a timewarp.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    Bah, that probably still means a long wait for it to appear in UK.

It's Cave, they could be full of shit.

• Now i've watched progear and gradius v longplays in my head,im getting some really nice thoughts about where to take things. I find them very different games naturally but gradius v's spectacular approach to visual presentation mixed with the often environment-based gameplay (i nearly jizzed at the wall of fire boss on the asteroid level, and the level where you're contending with a giant gas/fluid simulation), and progear's more risk-reward bullet-mass cancelling gameplay are just so compelling. I'm going to be referring closely to them both if i get to this shooter, inventive environment gameplay and logical seas of bullets among more discrete spats with larger foe in more open areas seem to work for me.. so far. I think i'm babbling, inspired! I'll spent the early hours stuck in these videos, surely.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!