I Wanna Get It On With Jahbulon : The Shmups/STG Thread
  • Cuckoo check it out, this is supposed to be just one guy

Ross Kemp Investigative Journalist
    Skullfuck yourself into a fine mist
  • Crazy! How can they even see what they're doing?!
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Also, any DDP Maximum players out there? Noticed whether leaderboard is adding scores correctly? My individual stage scores come to 2.237bn, but total stages leaderboard has me on 2.067bn or something.
  • That is completely mad
  • The graphics def have an air of chiefly-coder one man show about them, the mechanics are clearly honed to perfection but def not my own approach to it, its very enthusing seeing something so well delivered coming from a solo dev, if thats what you meant lawro. I'm more art-led so i can only hope  can get the mechanics working so well, still like.. mind-expandingly blown away by gradius v, i want more like that!

I like the 'loadout' aspect of er Staria? (Edit: Strania) whatever it was called, i get what you mean about sine mora being backwards, it seemed to have absolutely no depth to it, esp when you start comparing it to the tuned chaos of Cave shooters or Ikaruga, which is practically some kinda satanic puzzle game
  • Yep, if Cave don't give that guy a job there's something (else) wrong with the world.
    Sine Mora's basically a pre 1995 shooter with higher res graphics and what's supposed to elevate to current status is the swearing. Wow, OK. I guess we've all been schooled.

edit: some like that, hence its popularity. I do remember the likes of Jim moaning about how he loves shooters, but doesn't enjoy the updated style. That's fine, but there has to be some progress beyond the visual polish. Strania and Under Defeat are decent examples.
  • @Wonderbanana It's very kind of you to offer me a lend of Crimzon Clover, but I think a game this awesome I just want to buy for myself. Plus, I'd feel super bad if anything happened to it in the post.

Where did you get it? The only place I've found is http://www.tokyoshmups.com/
  • He's the best! I can't remember what the guy's real name is but he's been running that site on shmups.com's forum for years under the name of Rancor, he'll throw in some Japanese Kit Kats with your order.
  • That's fine, but there has to be some progress beyond the visual polish. Strania and Under Defeat are decent examples.

I found both of those very visually uninspiring to be honest, is gradius v really the high watermark for this kind of thing in the entire genre?
  • Visually, yes. Small teams. I think G-Rev is maybe 4 guys, then again Treasure's pretty tiny too. Gradius V's still a PS2 game, though. It has that vaseline smear on an LCD/plasma. I'd love a HD remake, I prefer Gradius V to Ikaruga. Or a new Gradius game 'cause the Otomedius games are dogshit. I also have a bit of thing for G-Rev's retro fonts and stuff. Looks like a Dreamcast hangover.

• I don't really think it's a benefit of the resolution, gradius' texture work is amazing, esp on ps2, and theres so much variety it boggles the mind, and loads of bits are just really, really clever (That thing with the tripod legs or the green liquid bit) or atmospheric (the wall of fire asteroid level boss). I want to just steal all their ideas. Cant find anything else even nearly on the same level
  • wonderbanana
    Show networks
    Twitter
    NanasParadox
    Xbox
    Wonderbanana
    PSN
    Wonderbanana
    Steam
    Wonderbanana

Send message
    Fentonizer wrote:
    @Wonderbanana It's very kind of you to offer me a lend of Crimzon Clover, but I think a game this awesome I just want to buy for myself. Plus, I'd feel super bad if anything happened to it in the post.

Where did you get it? The only place I've found is http://www.tokyoshmups.com/

Same place. The guy who runs that site is a regular over at Shmups and very reliable, I've had a few bits off him.

• wonderbanana
    Show networks
    Twitter
    NanasParadox
    Xbox
    Wonderbanana
    PSN
    Wonderbanana
    Steam
    Wonderbanana

Send message
    He's the best! I can't remember what the guy's real name is but he's been running that site on shmups.com's forum for years under the name of Rancor, he'll throw in some Japanese Kit Kats with your order.

Those Kit Kats are mental rofl! I forget what flavour I got, he used to chnage them all the time.

• I'm really loving sine mora
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • He's the best! I can't remember what the guy's real name is but he's been running that site on shmups.com's forum for years under the name of Rancor, he'll throw in some Japanese Kit Kats with your order.

Those Kit Kats are mental rofl! I forget what flavour I got, he used to chnage them all the time.

Tempted to get some issues of Shooting Gameside to put in a pile to be looked at every now and again.

Re... Really?

• Ross Kemp Investigative Journalist
  • LazyGunn wrote:
    That's fine, but there has to be some progress beyond the visual polish. Strania and Under Defeat are decent examples.

I found both of those very visually uninspiring to be honest, is gradius v really the high watermark for this kind of thing in the entire genre?

Good games, though. Better than most of the Western twin stick twaddle.

• wonderbanana
    Show networks
    Twitter
    NanasParadox
    Xbox
    Wonderbanana
    PSN
    Wonderbanana
    Steam
    Wonderbanana

Send message
    Had a very quick go on Eschatos last night, first impressions are it's a nice little game. The game it reminds me of is Trizeal on DC. Judgement Silversword is quite compelling as well. Eschatos feels very 90's but that's no bad thing.

Also had a quick go on Under Defeat HD, again good first impressions. Surprised myself though as all I could think about was firing up Zero Gunner 2 on the cab where as a few years back I'd have taken UD everytime.
  • I'm a big fan of Zero Gunner 2, too and I spent more time on that on DC than UD. Still a very good game, though.
    Eschatos' music's great and yep very 90's.
  • wonderbanana
    Show networks
    Twitter
    NanasParadox
    Xbox
    Wonderbanana
    PSN
    Wonderbanana
    Steam
    Wonderbanana

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    Cheers, I'll take you up on the offer of Crimson Clover! Yes, got your PM on GG, look forward to receiving more details.

Just popped Clover in the post.

As for the GG, er..... *makes note to grab sometime this year*

• Arrived today, nana. Cheers! I'll fire it up either tomorrow night (if we're not playing Halo) or Saturday. 

Does anyone want a copy of Mushi Futari (Jap, classics label) for a reasonable price? Not long ago, I got the first print ltd ed for a decent price so I have two copies.
  • wonderbanana
    Show networks
    Twitter
    NanasParadox
    Xbox
    Wonderbanana
    PSN
    Wonderbanana
    Steam
    Wonderbanana

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    Does anyone want a copy of Mushi Futari (Jap, classics label) for a reasonable price? Not long ago, I got the first print ltd ed for a decent price so I have two copies.

Someone snap this up, it's one of the best shooters around!

• wonderbanana
    Show networks
    Twitter
    NanasParadox
    Xbox
    Wonderbanana
    PSN
    Wonderbanana
    Steam
    Wonderbanana

Send message
    I've come to the conclusion Eschatos is the perfect shmup for playing and chilling when you want to play a shmup but cba.
  • It's old fashioned, but not shit like Sine Mora.
  • wonderbanana
    Show networks
    Twitter
    NanasParadox
    Xbox
    Wonderbanana
    PSN
    Wonderbanana
    Steam
    Wonderbanana

Send message
    It's old fashioned, but not shit like Sine Mora.

Agreed. I like it, nice to just kick back with & relax. It's 90's-ness actually makes me smile.

• I'm addicted to DDP Maximum. I love it.

Something About Japan is back in Edge, but its online every Monday. There's a bit of Cave in there today.
  • Ross Kemp Investigative Journalist
  • Hell yeah, I'm on that. Ta muchly.
  • [non-hip Shmup talk] Was talking to Shabby about Shmups and stuff last night, did anyone have a fiddle with Fraxy? Some of the user creations were absolutely amazing, from multiple form bosses, giant Stone-Like orbs of light, Battlecruisers full of drones... etc I always wanted to get good at it but I was super impatient. Take the boss in the video below. Might downloaded it and have a fiddle again.[/non-hip Shmup talk
    ]

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!