Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    I'm not gonna frame this as well as I owe it to myself to, but Curtis is making money and courting influence for telling us how fucked we are. Curtis ex machina. And maybe I'm just petty enough to find that too much of a hurdle.
  • There is a weirdness about a documentary about the weird detachment people have to the decline in society.

Does anyone else think gadaffi sounded like mourinho?
  • There is a weirdness about a documentary about the weird detachment people have to the decline in society.

Yeah and I find this a bit much to swallow these days, especially with Curtis hiding his shocking conclusions on fucking iPlayer.

This is the guy who coined "oh dearism", and now he's making his own?

Odd year to try feeling detached from Decline, in any case. It's rampant.
  • g.man wrote:
    Fucking tragic that it's relegated to iPlayer

There's a bit at the end of the interview he does with Jarvis where he says he felt like iPlayer was the best place for this because it allowed him to experiment - not that he was censored by them or anything, but because he wanted it to be the kind of thing you could pause and resume wherever you wanted to, give its perhaps obnoxious length (he refers to it as an 'Epic Novel'). So whilst it is a shame that it kind of exists within that online Echo Chamber - very few people I talk to seem to know about Curtis outside of a few circles - he's quite happy to be working on iPlayer as it fits with what he wants to do right now, which is not make films for TV.

Interview is here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p04c6z2k
  • The only guy I want to hear from is Pinker, since he's made his fucking bed alright.
  • What's stopping him attempting virality on Youtube oh yeah the funding I guess welp.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Excellent discussion, Temps & Rouj.

There's a new (anti-Trump) Michael Moore out tonight, I see
    https://www.theguardian.com/film/2016/oct/18/michael-moore-surprise-donald-trump-documentary

Considering he blogged not long back that he expected a Trump win, it'll interesting to see what he does with this
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • The interview Curtis did with Jarv is total counter to my reading though. He thinks people should go to Aleppo and change things, but people just aren't willing to "subsume" themselves fully to goal and actually change things.
  • Brooks wrote:
    The only guy I want to hear from is Pinker, since he's made his fucking bed alright.

He is lecturing in London.

After that hyper doc, should take a look at Ferguson's kissinger book.

• Tempy wrote:
    The interview Curtis did with Jarv is total counter to my reading though. He thinks people should go to Aleppo and change things, but people just aren't willing to "subsume" themselves fully to goal and actually change things.

Do you mean governments?
  • No he thinks that people should go there, as in the radical Left. Actually protesters etc. He cites the Human Rights movement as the last concentrated change brought about by people willing to subsume themselves totally for a cause.
  • I'm not sure that's terribly realistic. Most new lefties are now in service industry watertreading quiet desperation and/or having to be tireless self-promoters on soc meeja and thumped with debt, not a lot of room to wiggle off to the battlefield.
  • Kind of evil genius turnout in fact - the traditional source of antagonism to status quo is now too entirely lacking bandwidth to do anything but get through the higher ed mill.
  • I feel it runs counter to what I thought was the main thrust of HyperNormies as well - that the system is ever shifting, and impossible to fight against in any meaningful sense now.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Watching that "Mayfair Set" series.

There are some delightful characters on parade - the one bemoaning the fact that Arabs didn't know how to use a Western toilet was a hoot.

However it forces one to think of what an ideal mid-ground between benign governance and open market would look like and how it could be achieved. I can see the benefits of both sides of the arguments expressed in the series. But that's the trick, isn't it?
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Tempy wrote:
    No he thinks that people should go there, as in the radical Left. Actually protesters etc. He cites the Human Rights movement as the last concentrated change brought about by people willing to subsume themselves totally for a cause.

Oh I guess like the Spanish civil war.
  • I think a bigger problem than something like Occupy not achieving some monumental change is supposedly progressive people's reaction to it. When anyone says 'well that failed, what's the point' it sounds like they want other people to change everything for them. Occupy was never going to be more than the beginning of something, and what's more important is what happens afterwards. It did have some effect, mostly in cementing the whole idea of 'the 1% vs the 99%' in more mainstream thought, but people have to take that on. The defeatism is probably more a case of a lot of people still being too comfortable - it's too hard to really put the effort in when things aren't that bad yet for most. It's not only that the system is so completely overwhelming (although it is), it's also that people are still happier to make excuses.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Brooks wrote:
    What's stopping him attempting virality on Youtube oh yeah the funding I guess welp.

On the same page is Curtis' peddling of this social amorphousness that can't be tackled, but can be reported on. If Corbyn or some other movement-leader covered the same ground, even though he/they'd be far less presentationally swish, I could get behind some of it.
  • 13th is really good.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Looking forward to this documentary - hopefully released in early 2017. Pinched the blurb from the Kickstarter campaign.

A National Park Ranger told 30 year investigator, and writer in the field, David Paulides a troubling story. Over his years of involvement with numerous search and rescue operations at several different National Parks, he had detected a trend that he couldn’t understand.

The Ranger explained that during the first 7 - 10 days of a disappearance he would witness massive Search and Rescue activity and significant press coverage. Following this initial week -long effort there was almost always an immediate halt to the coverage, a discontinued search for the victims and no explanation from the search authorities...
    b691209706e8adfcdbb5bf409d2c1d5c_original.jpg?w=680&fit=max&v=1436580538&auto=format&q=92&s=532fd30309cd31a2b63f52b8ffd846d4

8462a40a22bbde5d9821ba341f775d00_original.jpg?w=680&fit=max&v=1436659293&auto=format&q=92&s=4b8b40cfb2fce3caf39ba2fc7d10f559

It bothered David enough that he began asking questions yet he got no answers. So he conducted research. What he discovered shocked him. People of all ages have been disappearing from National Parks and Forests at an alarming rate, all under similar circumstances. Victims’ families are left without closure and the Park Service refuses to follow up or keep any sort of national list and/or database of the missing people. Thousands of missing people.
    David’s instincts told him this was a story that needed to be told. He devoted six years to investigating missing people in rural areas. The result? The identification of 52 geographical clusters of missing people in North America.
    bc58d2e11fd899bd43afd8534a44b4a1_original.jpg?w=680&fit=max&v=1436662216&auto=format&q=92&s=576517f425f3c7fd2d7c61022479dc98
    6d0e82f680f9ddeba9cfb15d8aa1d044_original.jpg?w=680&fit=max&v=1436380635&auto=format&q=92&s=91ed7b6b6675d1b7c29ce2fd29494ee7

These clusters formed the basis for four Missing 411 books that have garnered widespread acclaim and multiple 5 star ratings on Amazon.com. The story has been featured on several primetime newscasts and on hundreds of radio stations across the country.

21739736f2dac7befe4cbd67fca51000_original.jpg?w=680&fit=max&v=1436659365&auto=format&q=92&s=c9f7effc887fb3e349b7b08bfb964449
    aff9e1ffa5f2d4d02d3f6bc9f7581cbe_original.jpg?w=680&fit=max&v=1436660906&auto=format&q=92&s=bd931f33b7d145af4e68bc79b2394df8

9d13d57e3a04e9ec12e27e1683bc694b_original.jpg?w=680&fit=max&v=1436663261&auto=format&q=92&s=7930288ebd1e94dfa42fe0de36c79487

But we believe there’s more to the story. The mass awareness and interest a feature film can generate will force the government to show their hand. To tell the real story, so that thousands of families can heal….and thousands of other disappearances can be prevented. 

We believe this so strongly that, with the author’s blessing, we have invested thousands of our own dollars to begin filming. The story is so compelling that experts in search & rescue, investigative reporting and a multiple Emmy-winning videographer have dedicated months of their time and talent without pay. 

We have interviewed experts, eyewitnesses, victims’ family members and National Park employees to ensure we are telling the real story in order to hold up a lens to reality and portray as accurate a depiction of the situation as possible.
  • I don't understand this? What are they claiming happened to all these people?
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • They are missing, never found or if they are found, they are never found alive. No one understands whats going on. The National Park Service (USA) refuses to play ball with the author David Paulides (ex police officer). The FBI won't share any information with him, when he puts in a FOIA request. The stories of the families are tragic as they want closure or to know who or what killed their loved ones.
  • Ah right. I'm going to put it down to shit happens.
  • Following is from a local denver news station report of a 3 year old child who went missing, its tragic.

A partial skull and a tooth were found by searchers looking for the remains of 3-year-old Jaryd Atadero near Poudre Canyon Saturday.

The boy disappeared in October 1999 while hiking in the Comanche Peak Wilderness Area with a church group and authorities believed he was grabbed by a mountain lion while running along the trail alone, although no evidence of a lion attack was ever found.

Earlier this month, hikers found the tennis shoes, sweat pants and the jacket that Jaryd was wearing the day he disappeared while looking in the area on June 4.
    Alyn Atadero, Jaryd's father, was with the search group that returned to the area Saturday to look for any physical remains of the boy.

"The top of a skull and a small tooth were discovered approximately 150 feet from where the clothing was found by the hikers on June 4," said Eloise Campanella, spokeswoman for the Larimer County Sheriff's Office.

A special cadaver recovery team found the remains and said they were consistent with a three-year-old boy. A dentist identified the single tooth as belonging to Jaryd, 7NEWS reported.

For Alyn, it was a Father's Day present he had been praying for.
    "For other people, this would be a terrible thing to find out on Father's Day, but it is wonderful to me," he told 7NEWS. He said now he can get closure. He said he often returns to the area to "talk" to his son and now he knows he was nearby all the time.

Sheriff's officials, who have come under fire recently for not previously searching on foot in the area where Jaryd's clothing was found, contend the boy could not have climbed the slope alone. Campanella said adult investigators had to "scramble up the slope on all fours" to recover the rest of the boy's clothing.
    It was not immediately known if searchers would return to the area to look for the rest of Jaryd's remains.

More about Jaryd here, http://www.canammissing.com/jaryd-atadero.html
  • Yup, shit happens.
    It's sad of course, but there are about a gazillion things that will kill you in the American wilderness. It's not the sort of place you go for a wander in shorts and flip-flops.
  • hmmm. Skimming what you've got there, seems like it's gonna have it's work cut out to get things from shit happens to this is all part of X over arching issue.

I would have thought there'd need to be a demonstration that there's consistently the same issues tying a lot of these together. The mundane: hey, funding and resources are shitty. The doco becomes the missing persons version of Michael Moore's healthcare doco. Unless you could point to some better alternatives, or some cheap/clever/simple solutions, I'm not sure you have an interesting story.

Anything more exotic than that, and it's going to have an unhill battle to make a pausible case. Conspiracy of some sort will need a lot of solid evidence.

Am i missing something?
  • Ok, watched the trailer. 

That the parks service is so tight lipped seems a touch sus. (However, this would need to be compared to missing persons process/issues everywhere.)
  • smells like bullshit to me.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Is there a statistically disproportionate number of people that go missing in national parks than elsewhere? And do the police stop looking earlier in national parks than not? I suspect the answer to both those questions is no.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!