Gigs
  • At the opposite end of the scale, I bought tickets to see Black Country New Road a while back.  The gig was cancelled due to Covid, rearranged, then cancelled again due to health issues in the band.

It's now been definitively cancelled as their frontman, Isaac Wood, has left due to what sound like mental health issues.  "I have tried to make this not true, but it is the kind of sad and afraid feeling that makes it hard to play guitar and sing at the same time."

The band's carrying on without him in some form but, yeah.  There's always that nagging fear when you hear a record on which someone is convincingly emoting pain that said suffering may be all too real, and sadly it sounds like that's the case here.
  • Yeah similar boat here 'Tin. Bought two tickets on TicketSwap at the last minute for a gig in December (but had been rescheduled from July cos covid) but they bailed on that one too, due to 'health issues of a band member'. Sad to hear that Issac's mental health means he has to step down from the band, but I hope he recovers soon as he really is an exceptional talent.

Such a shame as they were riding a bit of a zeitgeist wave after their Mercury nomination and everything seemed to coming together for them. Difficult to understand how they will continue without him, even though they said they will.

Luckily I'll always have the memory of seeing them live twice last year!
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • tin_robot wrote:
    At the opposite end of the scale, I bought tickets to see Black Country New Road a while back.  The gig was cancelled due to Covid, rearranged, then cancelled again due to health issues in the band.

It's now been definitively cancelled as their frontman, Isaac Wood, has left due to what sound like mental health issues.  "I have tried to make this not true, but it is the kind of sad and afraid feeling that makes it hard to play guitar and sing at the same time."

The band's carrying on without him in some form but, yeah.  There's always that nagging fear when you hear a record on which someone is convincingly emoting pain that said suffering may be all too real, and sadly it sounds like that's the case here.

Fuck, that's a real shame. Poor guy. Don't leave the sertraline in the cabinet Isaac!
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Booked for The Smile at the Roundhouse too!

Reg, Temps, how did you get on?
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Double post, yep, we going to Usher Hall on first June!
  • Manchester Orchestra announce a "UK Tour", which is.... Two dates in England.

Fuck right off.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Just got excited then read the whole post. Fuck u gav (getting in ahead of the nignt)
  • Manchester Orchestra announce a "UK Tour", which is.... Two dates in England. Fuck right off.

One is in Manchester at least.
  • Audiobooks last weekend didn't disappoint. Even had a little dance towards the end. Noxy would have been proud.

Tonight is Ms Weaver. That's Jane Weaver. Flock was a stellar little album last year. Looking forward to seeing how she reproduces it live. And as a hometown gig, it would be churlish not to attend.

Then of course there's the small matter of getting some Dry Cleaning done on Monday night....

So many gigs..It's like being a fucking student all over again.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Gosh, I forgot she has so many BANGERS.
  • TVSeKvD.jpg

Closest I've been for about 3 years, but seeing Alkaline Trio not football.
  • This is a fucking terrible venue. I can see about as much of the stage as I could in the picture above.
  • Wolf Alice last Tuesday. They were great and I got to see a great mate for the first time since November 2019.

I'm very lucky.

x
  • Tickets to see post-Flint Prodigy in July.  The day after Foals.

Get me.

x
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I nabbed tickets to see Wet Leg in Camden in November after a fairly stressful scramble with trying and failing to reset passwords and eventually just creating a new account for the privilege of downloading an app I don’t want to get into this gig.

Oh to be back in the days of paper tickets.
  • Tickets to see post-Flint Prodigy in July.  The day after Foals. Get me. x
    25th anniversary of Fat of the Land. Should be awesome.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Yeah I'm sure it will be great.  But at the same time I'm thinking.... FIFTY-THREE FUCKING POUNDS?!?!

I saw Wolf Alice at the same place last week for £32.50.

Music for the Pension Generation
    Poor Kids Are My Enemy
    The Prodigy Expensive
    Always Outnumbered, never underpaid
    The Fat of The Wads of cash.
    Invaders Must Pay Through The Nose.

x
  • Tickmaster now let you pay for a "Souvenir Ticket" aka a paper ticket that's of no use. A bargain at £2.95.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Yeah I'm sure it will be great.  But at the same time I'm thinking.... FIFTY-THREE FUCKING POUNDS?!?!

I saw Wolf Alice at the same place last week for £32.50.

Music for the Pension Generation
    Poor Kids Are My Enemy
    The Prodigy Expensive
    Always Outnumbered, never underpaid
    The Fat of The Wads of cash.
    Invaders Must Pay Through The Nose.

x

Bargain. I paid £154 in total for 2 tickets to see the Smile.

To be honest, I’m not hugely bothered by gig tickets getting pricier since piracy wrecked the music industry.
    Tickmaster now let you pay for a "Souvenir Ticket" aka a paper ticket that's of no use. A bargain at £2.95.

Yeah, I saw that. I’d almost be tempted if Ticketmaster tickets didn’t look like shit anyway.

This is what a gig ticket should look like:

blur-4-12-2003001.jpg

• g.man wrote:
    Tickets to see post-Flint Prodigy in July.  The day after Foals. Get me. x
    25th anniversary of Fat of the Land. Should be awesome.

There are plenty of 'makes me feel old' anniversaries out there but this one packs a wallop.
  • It bothers me.  Well, the discrepancy bothers me.  Why £53 for one band and £30 for another?  Especially when the more expensive tickets are for band that live in mansions and earned millions before the decline of album sales.

Poor kids are priced out and you get a middle class crowd.

Sell merch if you want everyone to see the gig, but also want the rich kids to spend more money.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I get that argument too, although I doubt that merch sales are going to make up the difference.

As for pricing people out, it feels to me more like the cost has shifted than anything else. Fuck knows how much I used to spend on CDs back in the 90s, but keeping up with the latest releases could get pricey while the gigs were cheap. Now you can stream everything you want for next to nothing (or literally nothing if you’re willing to put up with adverts), but the gigs are more expensive.
  • Lack of money from music sales is one part for sure. But in The case of the prodigy I'd be confident in assuming that they have a lot more stage equipment/lighting to transport than a Wolf Alice, and have also added a "well we're faackin legends int we?" tax on top.
  • Gav’s nailed it. And Yoss nailed why many are happier to pay the high prices nowadays.

The Prodigy will have a whole convoy of trucks carrying equipment, stage set, rigging, the works. And a team of well-paid pros to set it up and make it work - who all need to travel in comfort and be catered for. It’ll be a huge logistical effort. Wolf Alice will have one truck, if that.
  • Used to go to so many, but the thought now of buying just one ticket to one show gives me the absolute fear over how I'd manage to my next wage slip. Its mental.

I say as I go to my car and link Spotify to the stereo.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    First gig in 3 years tonight.

Bought Goldfrapp tickets for the missus for her birthday in 2020, then the ol' Covid struck. Finally going ahead tonight.

Really not my sound but she loves em and its good to get back to live music.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Got The Smile, Hanson, and Pavement in the next few months. What a time to be alive.
  • Going to see Liam Gallagher at Knebworth for my late 40th. I don't think I know more than 2 of his songs but it's Liam Gallagher at Knebworth on jubilee weekend so that's enough for me. Going to get absolutely guttered.
    The next generation doesn't start until MAG comes out. 

PSN: Naemuckle
    STEAM: Naemuckle
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Upcoming gigs for me:

The Smile, Roni Size (maybe a DJ thing? Not sure), Run the Jewels, Wet Leg, Gilla Band.

Not a bad year.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!