Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Hahahaha, touché
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I GOT MY NEW PHONE IT'S SO SHINY AND IT TELLS ME THE WEATHER. I  HAVE A WINDOW FOR THAT BUT FUCK THAT'S SO OLD SCHOOL.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    My curtains are drawn, what is the weather?
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Falling dickpiss.
  • Has the Lumia 800 come down much since the 900 came out? Might be worth it if you can stretch to it.

I'm gutted about WP8 needing new hardware. Not normally one for keeping up with latest phone releases, but WP7 is like the best thing ever so I may have a look once the WP8 handsets are out.

Nokia will be likely candidate if the build quality remains the same, my Lumia 800 is built like a brick shithouse. The gorilla glass alone is worth the price, screen is completely scratch free after more than half a year of heavy use and occasionally sharing a pocket with keys.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    I was in a bit of a flummoxed state the other week and put mine in a pocket with two £2 coins. Walked around for about 20 minutes, pitched a tent, sat down, realised my error. Not a single scratch front or back.
  • Yep, mine has also survived a full on drop to the pavement, landing on a corner, only damage was a small nick in that protective case it comes with. Amazing.

Nokia will be receiving my monies for the forseeable, if they can maintain the build quality and stick with the WP os.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Got my first evar smartphone the other day.  Spent hours trying to make the internet come on it.  It was almost one of these moments:

How was I to know you had to go into the APN settings and enable the PAYG network thingymabob.  It doesn't help when the only available manual from the official Huawei site is in BLOODY CHINESE!

Anyhoo, I am quite liking my G300 ascend; tis pretty fine for those on a budget:
    Huawei-Ascend-G300-1.jpg
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • I'm really tempted to actually replace my iPhone 4 with a Lumia 900, but the usual snag of having EVERYTHING ELSE MADE BY APPLE makes me less than keen.  I mean, I use the phone to Airplay music around the house and stuff, so there are quite a few things I think I'd lose by moving to a new OS.  Not to mention about £1Bn worth of apps.

I presume though that it'll still work with most Apple things?  Can I get music from iTunes onto a WP8 phone or will I have to install something new?
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    You can play un-protected AAC files from iTunes (or whatever it serves these days), you wouldn't be able to play protected ones, unless you pay to unlock them.

If I was you I wouldn't shift, that Airplay looks nifty.

There's no fancy Zune player for Mac so you'd have to use the basic Connector thing. And I wouldn't fancy buying loads of apps all over again, but I suppose that depends on how wedded to them you are.
  • CUT YOUR LOSSES ELM. GET ON WP BEFORE THE HIPSTERS JUMP SHIP AND RUIN IT FOR EVERYONE ELSE.

I second mods advice though. If you're all set up for apple in your gaff then you will lose some functionality with your other kit.

In other news, Zune > iTunes. Tunes is a clunky horrible, now bloated mess.
  • Does Zune still exist?

Itunes is shite on windows but great on macs
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    The Zune PC player software still exists. Excellent it is too. I guess at some point it'll be re-branded as Xbox Music.

I hope they don't think the Music app with Win8 is a suitable replacement because it's fucking shite.
  • Elm, there's no way you should think about ditching anything for a Lumia 900. It may be a lovely phone with excellent build quality sporting a half-decent OS, but it's a dead-end. WP8 will not work on it, WP7.8 (the last upgrade it will get) is nothing but a sop to avoid WP7 loyalists feeling too fucked off (don't think it will work).

Hang on till Autumn, when the next iPhone will be released and the first WP8 devices will be around, then you can make a proper comparison.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Agreed upgrade advice 100%

But as a WP7 loyalist I'm not actually that fussed about my Lumia 800 not getting WP8. Some of the features like NFC and SD support obviously would never be supported.

I'm somewhat narked about the better apps (esp gaming) WP8 offers but again I'm not that fussed, and it's extremely debatable whether the processor in the 800 would be up to the task. It's a great phone now and will still be a great phone in 2 years.
  • Google's thing is today at 5:30pm apparently:   http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/Android/Google+I%2FO+2012/feature.asp?c=42450
    Rumoured Google tablet and next android OS release.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    The Nexus tablet (from Asus) has already been leaked I think.

Plus their second stab at Google TV, which by most accounts is chronic.
  • isanbard
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Hiplo
    Xbox
    isanbard
    PSN
    DAQster
    Steam
    Isanbard
    Wii
    3DS 0361-6861-4525

Send message
    Only just managed to prevent myself form buying an unnecessary iPad, 3DS Xl or gaming rig. Looks handy that this will be a fairly average ICS tab to counter the entirely US focused Kindle Fire.  Not getting too excited here…
    GT: isanbard PSN: DAQster DS-FC: 0361-6861-4525 AC: Bumdirt
  • Jelly-bean, in fact! With added Butter?
  • I'll have a nosey at what WP8 handsets come out and decide whether to cash in my Lumia, but I can more than live with a half update, at least cosmetically, it will look like 8. Nokia build quality is the best it's ever been, and as a straight mobile user, the closed nature of the OS appeals. The file structure of my last Android phone seemed a god awful mess.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • The S3 is a thing of beauty.

And the file structure is fine....
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    What's a file structure?
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Anyone else think a 7" screen is pointless?

Less portable than a phone, not as much space as a 10".

I'm sure some think it's the ideal middle ground, but I think it satisfies neither.
  • Maybe. Ideal as a media player for commuting with.

10 inch does seem like the sweet spot for proper tablets though.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    $1,500 for a pair of Google Glasses?

If you'll pardon me for a second.... hahahahahahahahahahahhahahahaha .......ha.
  • As an investment, might not be so daft. As a consumer device though, yeah, silly.
  • I'm picking up my S3 today, hurrah.
  • Mod74 wrote:
    Anyone else think a 7" screen is pointless? Less portable than a phone, not as much space as a 10". I'm sure some think it's the ideal middle ground, but I think it satisfies neither.

I'm one of the people in that happy middle ground!

Fits in the same case as my kindle, perfect screen for watching films, lighter to hold up on long flights etc. 

The 10" is used round the coffee table sort of thing, the 7" everywhere else.
  • Unlikely wrote:
    I'm picking up my S3 today, hurrah.
    I'd recommend Chrome over the stock browser though not tried it on here yet

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!