Gadgets, Tech, etc.
  • Nah they just sent me a phone, it's yours to do with as you please at that point.

I did unlock it (it's very easy with Androids) to boost the value slightly on ebay but it's not necessary.
  • Protap: negotiate a little bit on the first call so they can give you something OK. You get 7 days to cancel, so a few days later, call up and say you know what, I'm not interested after all. That sometimes unlocks the best retention deals.
  • isanbard
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Hiplo
    Xbox
    isanbard
    PSN
    DAQster
    Steam
    Isanbard
    Wii
    3DS 0361-6861-4525

Send message
    New iphone is a good few months away yet - Autumn sometime? 
    My O2 contract is all but expired too on the trusty 4 and they're starting to wind up the pestering calls. I've no real reason to re-sign a bizarre holding contract thanks, I'll just drop onto a rolling month thing and see who gives the best deal. 

All this talk of free HTCs and whatnot does sound like a handy cash plan if I could be arsed though. Nice bonus Funk.
    GT: isanbard PSN: DAQster DS-FC: 0361-6861-4525 AC: Bumdirt
  • isanbard wrote:
    New iphone is a good few months away yet - Autumn sometime?  My O2 contract is all but expired too on the trusty 4 and they're starting to wind up the pestering calls. I've no real reason to re-sign a bizarre holding contract thanks, I'll just drop onto a rolling month thing and see who gives the best deal.  All this talk of free HTCs and whatnot does sound like a handy cash plan if I could be arsed though. Nice bonus Funk.

I bounced down to one of the O2 rolling simplicity things, but added a data pack on. 600 minutes, unlimited texts, 1 gb data for £20 a month. Only stayed with O2 to keep my preferential upgrade to a 5 when they eventually come out.
  • I've just switched to giff-gaff. £10 a month for 250 mins, unlimited texts and unlimited data. Gonna stick with my existing phone for a bit then decide whether to jump in to winphone 8, or head back to android.

I unlocked my phone using MobileUnlocked.co.uk earlier today in fact. It cost a tenner and they sent me the unlock code within 15 minutes.
  • Oi, Workid.  I've just dumped about 8GB of music onto the 16GB (11GB available) internal memory, so am thinking of getting one of them new fangled mini-SD cards to add storageness.  If I do that and shove more music onto it will the phone put the two folders together as far as browsing by album/artist is concerned?
  • That post totally makes sense by the way.
  • More annoying questions sorry.

I really like the look and feel of the Lumia 800 (and the price) but I only have a iMac G5 which whilst slow still works fine. Would I be able to sync the Lumia with my Mac or is this not supported?
  • The short answer appears to be no. You need Windows Phone Connector software to sync between OS X and WP7, and the requirements include OS X 10.6.6 (Snow Leopard), which is not compatible with a G5.

You could bootcamp Win7 onto your iMac, maybe? But that would be fiddly and require a windows license.

I suppose the easiest thing to do is stick everything on a USB drive, find a mate with Windows, and use the Zune software for that. You'll also need to do that if you ever want to upgrade the OS software of your Lumia.

Or you could fork out for a new PC, that G5 must be 7-8 years old!
  • Yeah it's getting on a bit now, but moneys too tight to mention right now and with a baby on the way a new computer is way down on the priority list.

I'm guessing this will be the case with any new smartphone and syncing it, when I got my iPhone 4 I had to upgrade to Leopard just to be able to sync the phone and get it started up.

My wife has a work laptop so maybe I could borrow that, would the Lumia appear as a drive and for dragging and dropping on my mac?
  • Officially, again it's a no. You are forced to use the Zune software on a Windows PC in order to sync a WP7 device. I'm assuming that the issue with Zune software is that a work laptop wouldn't allow you to install non-approved software without admin rights?

I did find this article explaining how to hack the device to show up as a USB mass storage device. But as (i) the PC is a work laptop and (ii) it's a slightly messy hack with some limitations, I wouldn't recommend.

Sorry I'm bad news bear today.

Edit: on the plus side, if you can find someone's PC to use, the Zune software is really quite nice, and by most accounts the Lumia 800 is a great phone.

I personally wouldn't get it because I tend to keep my phones for 2+ years, which means I look for devices that will be fully supported over that period (hence I'll never get a non-Nexus Android or WP7 device, for which support ends at 7.x). I believe that app development for WP7 will now dry up completely following the WP8 announcements.
  • No worries at all, it's not bad news but good to be forewarned. Thank you for the help you've been able to give me. 

I know lots of people who've got a PC I could borrow to sync and transfer my media but it does seem a bit of a hassle to do this every time I want to update my phone.

I think the best course of action is to, stick with my iPhone 4 and just change my contract to a Tesco or Giff Gaff sim just to drop my monthly spend. Only downside with this is that Orange charge £20 to unlock a phone which I think is a bit cheeky to be honest.
  • It's a complete fucker, for real. You're basically paying for someone to type a code and send it to your phone, it's a complete rip-off.

It may be a bit of a hassle, but unless you truly hate Orange and need to get away from them, it's always worth listening to their retention offers. If you've been with them a while and not missed any monthly payments etc, you should be able to score a reduction on your current tariff (I've got 1000mins, unlimited data and texts for £20pm) AND a decent device chucked in for free. Sell it to further reduce your overall costs. I'm certainly significantly better off over 24 months that way, than with a SIM only contract.

Edit: Or you could sell it to pay towards an unlocked new iPhone, along with your iPhone 4 which will still be worth over two hundred quid.
  • Sounds like that could be worth doing, out of interest which handset did you go for?
  • First time I called up, threatened to quit, and they offered me the HTC One S and knocked £7pm off the £30 tariff. I went for it, then called them back a few days later (during the mandatory "cool-off" period) and "changed my mind". They then offered the HTC One X (the current HTC flagship device) and knocked another £3pm off. At the time, One X was fetching over £400 on eBay. Now I'm guessing you could get £350+. This is 3 network btw.

It all depends on what they offer you. If it's shit, forget it, you'll always be better off on a rolling SIM-only contract because you're in control.
  • Ah cool cheers I'm not sure I'd get such a cracking deal on Orange, 3 always seem to offer the best deals but the last time I tried 3 I couldn't get a signal at home (in deepest darkest Gloucestershire) and had a hell of a job for them to take the phone back.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    Just going back to the Lumia thing.

Everything Funkstain said is right, and whilst the Lumia 800 is still a great phone and will likely be discounted between now and the end of the year if the features WP8 adds appeal to you don't get it as it won't be getting that OS version.

Once you're initially set up you can sync podcasts over the air, and OS updates happen infrequently (there'll be one or two for the rest of its life I'd guess). But if you're regularly rotating MP3 files you'll be in an awkward position.

Personally I'd wait 6 months and see what Nokia bring out for WP8, it's likely to be similar in style to the Lumia, and what Apple bring out for the iPhone 5 then compare the two.

If I was to make an educated guess I'd say Mac support for WP8 will be beefed up a bit. And I'm sure I saw OTA OS updates were a coming feature.

My only worry is that the WP8 and iPhone5 handsets are likely to be larger screened and with beefier processors. I like the Lumia as it's a very svelte device, I'm not keen on these behemoths the industry is going towards.

The end of the year is feeling like a bit of a generational leap for WP and iOS.
  • I'm certainly with you there Mod on the dislike of handsets getting bigger, I think it's pretty unnecessary and handsets like the iPhone 4 and Lumia are currently big enough. There was a Lumia 900 in the shop when I had a brief browse yesterday and that has jumped up in size from the 800.

I'd say I prefer the design of the Lumia 800 to the iPhone but that may be because the iPhone 4 is so ubiquitous that the looks which I adored at first have become dull.
  • Unlikely wrote:
    Oi, Workid.  I've just dumped about 8GB of music onto the 16GB (11GB available) internal memory, so am thinking of getting one of them new fangled mini-SD cards to add storageness.  If I do that and shove more music onto it will the phone put the two folders together as far as browsing by album/artist is concerned?

Just tried it. It appears so. Browsing by artist certainly. Presume you won't normally have an album split into two places. It seems to treat it as two albums of the same name. I have nearly all my music on the external sd card (as it calls it ) and keep internal free for apps. Note the manual suggests it will only take up to 32gb but 64gb works perfectly.

• How are you getting on with it anyway?
    I don't really like the stock music player but haven't tried anything else as yet.

That's my only gripe really.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I can recommend GiffGaff, a mate's using it and utterly loving it. Am with 3 and whilst their customer service is shit my deal is wicked. No commitment 200 minutes, 3000 texts, unlimited data, and it definitely is, I racked up 3 gig last month for £13
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • I quite like the 3 customer service these days, especially their supreme earnestness. No doubt they've been encouraged to improve over the years. 

I complained about lack of coverage in my flat, they told me exactly what was going on, sent me a text to tell me it was fixed, then gave me a follow-up call to check it was ok whilst chucking me a tenner to make up for barely 24hours of inconvenience. 

GiffGaff has the cheapest deals, but O2 traffic is possibly prioritised (according to my O2 ex-colleagues) and when it goes down, it goes down hard...

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/01/19/giffgaff_outage/
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    Have we a hi-fi thread or is this one a collect all thread?
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    Has anybody had first hand experience of Onkyo? I'm thinking of getting the NR515 to replace my Sony...

Oh and while I'm at it the wireless appears to be fucked on my BT Homehub, everything seems slow on wi-fi but Ethernet is normal. I heard that there is a Cisco router that's meant to be good but I know fuck all about what makes a router good or bad?
  • www.ebuyer.com

For all your home networking needs. Or can you not tell BT it's fucked and demand a new one?
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    They appear to be pushing the new one and want money for it, I have thought about going for the 12 month sign up angle to get it for free but then figured if there is a difference between the quality of routers I'd just buy the Cisco E4200 as it gets good reviews. Like I said though I don't really know anything about routers...
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    This is only second hand but I've heard Onkyo come up good on price and features but have a nasty habit of going pop just after the warranty expires.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    I've had this Sony for years (STR-DB940) and other than one little blip it has been absolutely rock solid but the lack of HDMI is a bit of a concern now as I have filled all my HDMI's on my TV so I figured a way around it would be to change amp.

What you have heard is worrying though and even if I added a 5-year warranty to it (refundable if not used) I still would expect longer than 5 years from it, I'll have to look into it further.
  • S3 firmware update today to I9300XXLFB. Nothing too exciting, a new display slider in the drop down and a few other bits and pieces.

Edit/update: Quite good actually, once you start finding things that have changed.

Sammy don't seem to do proper changelogs, but there's a list here:

http://androidforums.com/samsung-galaxy-s3/577742-ota-update.html
  • isanbard
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Hiplo
    Xbox
    isanbard
    PSN
    DAQster
    Steam
    Isanbard
    Wii
    3DS 0361-6861-4525

Send message
    Have had a Onkyo SR607  that I got nice and cheap from a 'B stock' listing off a decent Hifi shop on Ebay. 

Worked fine for about 6 months or so and was fairly faultless in that time. Then it stopped passing a component video signal (the Wii audio was ok but no picture if plugged into it for example) which meant it didn't have an onscreen display anymore. It was a fairly common issue with some captors blowing or something - not a tricky fix if you clan solder but not for me and certainly not in the 12 month warranty.
    I shipped it off to the service agents and inevitably the post office/dhl/whoever I had to use lost it before it got there and I had to have a fun conversation with them about finding a now out year or so of date model to replace it. This all got quite frisky until they eventually dusted one off from a shelf and sent it over with a new 12 month warranty. So far this one has been fine and I was pretty impressed (after all the irritations and whatnot) given it was released in 2009. 

tl;dr In my experience they sound great but can be a bit flakey (cheaper 'b stock' warning perhaps??). They do generally seem to review pretty well though and going back to stereo is akin to cycling all the way back to black and white. 5.1 is essential imho.
    GT: isanbard PSN: DAQster DS-FC: 0361-6861-4525 AC: Bumdirt

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!