Country Music
  • McMurtry album is very much my jam.  Uncomplicated rock grooves and lyrics worth focusing on.  Love it when an artist improves with age.  

As requested by Nick (honest).  A Country Christmas playlist:

And because you'll love it:

• I enjoyed Dood. Sounds quite bluegrass to my ears.
  • It's mostly the same hotband he assembled for Cuttin' the Grass.
  • New Kacey Musgraves album coming Sep 10th, alongside a 50-minute film.

And here’s the title track.

At this rate, we might have to have to admit that Our Lady Kacey belongs in the general music thread and not in here any more …
  • I think I'm gonna write to Madame Tussaud and ask if I can have the old Kacey back.
  • I was gonna preorder a long sleeve shirt off her website that comes with a download of the new album - it costs $94AUD!  WTF she'd want to have sewn it herself for that.  Think I'll just get the CD in the shop lol.

RE McMurtry, not sure if it's just because it's the first track on the album but can't get enough of Canola Fields.  Incredible track, always replay it before getting on with the rest of the album.

Dood continues to rule and its short length means it's easy to find time every day for a listen.  Could it have done with a couple of extra tracks (one where he has to fight a bear or some shit, another where he takes drugs for the pain and it's just a 15 minute country music freakout)?  Sure, but you could say that about any album.
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose
  • Agree with Canola Fields. I knew it was good beforehand but didn't wear it out, for some reason I've been playing it on repeat since the full album arrived. Strong verses (ofc) and a big feels singalong chorus, plus he chooses the best verse to repeat:

In a way back corner of a cross town bus we were hiding out under my hat/cashing in on a thirty year crush, you can't be young and do that.

Super track.
  • A few more:

Must be a storm front coming, 'cos I saw that eastbound C&O.  And the coal cars were dusted with a half inch of snow - kicking off Rachel's Song, possibly my favourite opening lines (followed by a near perfect song). 

We grew up hard and our children don't know what that means.  We turned into our parents before we were out of our teens.  Through a series of Chevy's and Fords, and the occasional spin round the floor at the Copper Canteen - Copper Canteen

And the storm door didn't catch, it blew back hard as she struck a match but she cupped it just in time.  Then she sent that ashtray flying - Ruby & Carlos, needs context but hoo boy. 

I've got it all to myself now, crack the window just a hair.  Dark and close the way I like it, black tobacco chokes the air.  I keep to myself I lack the language, measure out my life with coffee grounds.  The trees are the colour of ashes, in Charlemagne's home town - Charlemagne's Home Town (if they ask, be polite and say something vague).

I don't believe in heaven but I still believe in ghosts - the callback at the end of Childish Things

Now granny she's yelling, she's ready to eat.  She's having conniptions 'cos they won't take their seats.  But she's got them all gathered now under one roof.  With her camcorder loaded she's gonna get proof.  But do you have to wear that.  Oh I just don't see why.  Please pass the potatoes.  Aw eat shit and die.  Did you hear about Ellen?  She's leaving you know.  Please pass the potatoes.  D'ya think it'll snow?  And the minute it's over they'll scatter like quail.  Off down the freeway in the teeth of a gale - Holiday (a song I'd guess partly inspired Hayes Carll's Grateful for Christmas). 

She's got a cowboy problem, and this last one's a sight.  All dressed up like Gunsmoke for Saturday night.  And they're off to the bars for lack of a plan.  Racing the stars to the lights of Cheyenne - Lights of Cheyenne 

mi0uM9.gif

Tip of the iceberg.  I'm too long in the tooth to give much of a fuck about album reviews these days but there was a two star hot take on the latest McMurtry in Country Music People this month that frothed me up a bit.  Will upload it shortly and moan.
  • mcmurtry.jpg

Grind that axe for twenty years, you fucking prick.  The photo is blurry but look at his take on the 30yr crush line, jfc.  How can two people with a combined age of at least 90 hide under a hat anyway?
  • Haha, imagine singling that line out in the same review where you're cashing in a 20 year grudge!

REALLY need to listen to more of him.  Think you're right re the Grateful For Christmas going off that lyric.

And there's a YouTube video to be made where you float the idea the McMurtry and Hold Steady mythologies happen in the same universe.
  • Isbell has a habit of picking my favourite tracks when he chooses covers.  Having fun with this one.  Just a crowd cam I think, but good enough:

• Have you given that one a spin?  Will check it out tonight or tomorrow.  I don't have the highest of hopes going off the originals but still interested to hear what Ashley does with them.

RE Isbell covers, I was happy to hear he has one of the better songs on the new Metallica Black Album covers collection (Sad But True).  Having said that I haven't listened to all the tracks on that album yet.  There's a lot on there and it's impossible to listen to all the way through (half a dozen-ish versions of each song in a row).
  • What a choice from Tyler!

Deep cuuuuut.  Cheers for the heads up @Nickmd
  • It's a bag of Prines, not a bag of Pran'ts
  • Absolute hype wondering which artists/tracks will fill up the missing nine tracks (for Broken Hearts & Dirty Windows Vol.2). It's out next Friday and we've only been drip fed three since it was announced. I expect Isbell/Shires, maybe doing Clocks and Spoons or Storm Windows. Lucinda Williams is a safe bet for tribute albums and she wasn't on Vol.1.
  • Deliberately ignoring Nick's post btw.
  • The Hayes Carll tracks released from the new album so far are all good (including one with Brandy Clark @poprock), into this one rn:

Big Wylie Hubbard guitar style with a Steve Earle sound kicking in for the back half.
  • Hope Hayes is on the Prine tribute.  He could do a mean One Red Rose.  

• Great song.

Never done a dive into Hayes before, got a train journey tomorrow so will sling some in my ears.
  • My massively anticipated Prine tribute album pt.2 is out, and it's decent.  Early impressions are gonna force me to say it's not a patch on the first one, but there are some quality covers on here.  

@gman

Tyler Childers wins the day further up the page though, his Yes I Guess They Oughta Name a Drink After You might become my fave Prine cover ever.
  • I think something like this could always do without an Official Video but damn, what a song.  This is peak Carll, roll on October 29th.

Who's that chap playing guitar in my front room?
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    My massively anticipated Prine tribute album pt.2 is out, and it's decent.  Early impressions are gonna force me to say it's not a patch on the first one, but there are some quality covers on here.   @gman Tyler Childers wins the day further up the page though, his Yes I Guess They Oughta Name a Drink After You might become my fave Prine cover ever.
    Cheers Moot. Enjoyed that. :)
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    When two things I like come together

"I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Pistol Annies have just released a Christmas album. Feels a touch early to me.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!