Waiting for
    That sacred core
    That burns inside of me
    And I feel a storm
    All wet and warm
    Not ten miles away
    Approaching
    My Mexican home
  • Every now and then I Google 'John Fullbright' and filter results to the last month or so.  I've been doing this since his last album 2014 with no joy.  However!  I hit paydirt yesterday as he's released a new track and has an album due later in the year, over eight years since his last one. So that'll be three studio albums in a decade, but I'll take it.  

Hype.
  • Watched the Kill Bills a couple of times over the last week.  The first time in ages, really fun stuff, especially the second one, which I remembered as being not as good as the first, but they're about on par IMO.

Anyway I've had the music from the bit where Uma punches the coffin stuck in my head ever since.  Can't get enough of it.  Really makes what's one of my favourite bits from the films.  I want it as my funeral music, only people might expect me to come back to life and punch my way out of the grave, and it would be a downer if I just laid there like a regular dead person.

I assumed it was originally from an old western, and it was, but god damn if this isn't one of the most incredible things I've ever seen.  I'm getting this on blu ray.

When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose

• Loving it, back to back to back spins.
  • Just bagged a Waylon LP for a quid.
  • Really hope that new Sturg banger got recorded recently as that'd mean his vocal chords are on the mend. Fingers crossed.
  • Just listened to the Sturgill track. TIL Mark Knopfler didn't write that song.
  • I think I'm ready for the Kill Bills again. [Tarantino chat warning]. Didn't enjoy them at the time, threw my toys out the pram a little on the QT as I wanted more films like Jackie Brown. I rewatched them maybe 6yrs ago and decided to stop being a 'that guy' - they're actually really enjoyable, and even when he's making the sort of films I don't personally want him to (which is most of the time these days) they still make for quality viewing.
  • Yeah!  I quite like QT and I find his stuff more memorable than most films I watch (which admittedly is mostly superhero stuff and Liam Neeson killing bad men movies).  I did Inglorious Basterds the other night and enjoyed it less than I remembered, but enjoyed pretty much every scene.  IE even though I don't think it came together all that well by the end, it still consisted almost 100% of fun stuff.

He's got a podcast out now just talking about his old VHSs - I'm sure it's not for everyone and I wonder if he'll start grating on me soon due to how he talks so much but I really like the first couple of episodes.

Er, OT

• Got myself chucked on the guest list for the Sara Evans gig in Glasgow next week. She’s a bit trad Nashville for me, but has a few solid tunes. I’m sure I’ll end up enjoying it.

• Discovered this guy today. His lyrics, phrasing, and general vibe gives me chills. Just listen to how he tells this story. Incredible stuff.

• I had to Google the lyrics immediately.

John came home from war this morning
    He found his wife, she wasn't there
    And a cold cold feeling crept through his bones
    When he found a note at the bottom of the stairs
    Said I'm in love with your brother I've found a preacher
    I'm in love and I'm heading to the south
    Boy you were fine but I've changed my mind
    I'm boarding the next train out of town

John flew into a rage like thunder
    He brought his fist down and he cracked the floor
    He thought he broke bone the way he screamed and he roared
    And he headed right back out the door
    Said I'm going to find my brother God damn this preached
    And I'm going to put him underneath a stone
    When the oak trees are so tall the mountains feels small
    They'll remember the wrath of my storm

John crashed in with his pistol crying
    In the morning just before the dawn
    He took out his knife and he carved out the light
    Of a future in the eyes of the lord
    Strung him up high silhouetted in the sky
    Let the ravens pick him to the bone
    When the law man came by he turned down his eyes
    Not to gaze upon the brother of John

The station platform was empty and quiet
    She waited for a man who'd never show
    When the noon day sun was high and cracking
    The ground she felt a lump rise in her throat
    John swept from behind put a gun on her side
    Said baby you were why I came home
    I won't take your life but I want to look into your eyes
    When you see I killed the man that you love

Source: Musixmatch

Songwriters: Benjamin Dakota Rogers

• poprock wrote:
    I’m sure I’ll end up enjoying it.

That's the thing really.  I'm not taken with that track but I bet it'll still be a good night out.  I'm easy to please with live music anyway, just a bit lazy with getting off my arse to catch gigs these days.
  • Aye, exactly. She’s a US pop-country star with a pack of number one singles under her belt. How bad can it be?
  • Got a new guy - Ramsay Midwood.  I think we've had Spinnin' on this Rock in here before maybe?  Maybe from Nick.

'I hardly go outside because I'm accidentally prone' :)  

Popped up on my Tidal recs playlist last week, so I downloaded both albums on there and he's great.  

Love this one:

With album titles like Shootout at the OK Chinese Restaurant and Larry Buys a Lighter how can you go wrong?
  • There's a new Nikki Lane out too, which is always nice.  First track is a banger:

Which leads me neatly to this, which I only found a few seconds ago:

• John Fullbright's new album is out, which I've been waiting eight years for.  It's....okay.  Some great tracks, probably more forgettable ones.
  • That Colter Wall track is outstanding.
  • Massive.

There's a new Ashley McBryde out, pop. Downloading now.
  • It's a blast. Really good fun.
  • I bloody love a bit of Caylee Hammack, too.
  • Got myself on the guest list for Caitlyn Smith’s Glasgow gig next week. Don’t know much about her apart from her songwriting credits being pretty great: Dolly Parton, Miley Cyrus, Tenille Townes, Lady Antebellum, Chris Isaak … and most importantly she wrote Jessie Buckley’s excellent ‘Glasgow’ song from the Wild Rose movie.
  • How was the show Poprock?

I hadn't heard of her either, but just looking her up on youtube and I really like her cover of Miley Cyrus's High (my favourite song of her last album).

Big thumbs up to the Ashely McBryde album, I can't get enough of it at the moment.  I always have to listen to Brenda a couple of times before playing the album proper, lol.
  • Caitlyn Smith actually wrote High for Miley. So it makes sense for her to cover it …

She was bloody amazing live. Really glad I went. Weirdly a lot like watching Lady Gaga’s character from A Star is Born. 

I love how we get to see a lot of these huge country stars playing wee gigs in Glasgow. She rocked up just herself and an acoustic guitar and she blew the roof off the place. Did High as her first song and fuck me, that voice. She’s got some lungs on her.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!