Currently Playing
  • I've alwats loved love point and clicks but it's so much more bearable these days with instant access to walkthroughs. Even then there was a puzzle last night that even the walkthroughs weren't helping with. Got there evenentually but if it was the old days I probably would have given up and put the 14 floppy discs in the bin.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Second ever game I played on PC that as it came with the thing, 7th Guest was first. As an 11yo used to Sonic and Mario it was a headfuck.

Me and my cousin gave up near the end as couldn't figure a puzzle out.
  • You did well getting near the end for an 11 year old!
  • digi wrote:
    Rev wrote:
    digi wrote:
    Rev wrote:
    Trying Returnal and it's a slog after dying for the 30th time.

How far thru are you?
    I haven't beat the 3rd boss yet but iv helped 2 randoms do the first 2.
    I'm loving it, pew pew.

Got to the first boss a couple of times but three stage boss fights are bullshit. Going to try again tonight .

Give me a shout if you want a hand with him.

I think I'm going to return it to the rental place. It's utterly unbalanced and frustrating. The gun play is decent but you can fuck off with starting again every single time. At least dead cells had progression. This is awful.

Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Scout wrote:
    I've alwats loved love point and clicks but it's so much more bearable these days with instant access to walkthroughs. Even then there was a puzzle last night that even the walkthroughs weren't helping with. Got there evenentually but if it was the old days I probably would have given up and put the 14 floppy discs in the bin.

This can be a good site for the old P&Cers:

http://www.game-hints.com/

Doesn’t just give you the answer but provides escalating hints that nudge you more forcefully towards the solution.

I believe the guides are all user-generated, so the quality may vary.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Surely the existence of such resources is an indication of how broken the genre is?  If puzzles are even more contrived than 3-2-1 clues then it needs fucked into the bin.

See what did there?
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Scout wrote:
    I've alwats loved love point and clicks but it's so much more bearable these days with instant access to walkthroughs. Even then there was a puzzle last night that even the walkthroughs weren't helping with. Got there evenentually but if it was the old days I probably would have given up and put the 14 floppy discs in the bin.
    This can be a good site for the old P&Cers: http://www.game-hints.com/ Doesn’t just give you the answer but provides escalating hints that nudge you more forcefully towards the solution. I believe the guides are all user-generated, so the quality may vary.
    Thanks for that. Good shout. I've bought a few more point and clicks for Steam Deck so this will come in handy.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Grounded

Me and the boy Sparky started from scratch again several weeks ago as it'd been a while, and we weren't happy with our ill chosen main base position. We've found a much better place now, and have a second base on the go and several camps about the map.

This game is frankly staggering. The amount of content continues to blow my mind as we're constantly finding new insects and materials we've never seen before and therefore new weapon and item recipes to work towards.

We ventured up into a new area last night and the place is absolutely enormous (and not where we should be yet it seems, its tough) but man was it a blast to explore.

The exploration is just so much fun, and always rewarding as you find new things. We've managed to progress pretty quickly as we've done alot of this a bunch of times before, but for a new player coming in (especially when version 1.0 hits) I'd say there's easily over 100 hours of content. And this is content that's always feeling fresh as you explore, learn new recipes, upgrade equipment and fight new bugs.

Speaking of fighting, the combat is really good too. Each bug has different attack patterns and abilities, poison etc. Spiders are genuinely scary to fight, and you'll lose track of the amount of times you have to just turn and run for your life when things get too much.

Its just such a genius setting for a survival/crafting/exploration game. Each biome is interesting and there's so many things they could add even after 1.0 hits.

Honestly, I think this might be my favourite game in years. There's always new stuff to do, it's fun as hell to play and charming as all fuck. Every time we finish for a night we reel off a list of things we need to do next session. And more often than not it's things we've not done before, or at least prepping towards doing things we haven't done before.

Shit like Valheim, Icarus, Minecraft etc are my favourite types of games. Survive, base build, learn new recipes. Grounded is up there with the best of the best imo.

Absolutely superb stuff, I can't wait to see what else they do as it already felt like a complete game several updates ago.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    We'd get more done if I could stop falling into canyons of doooooooooom
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    We need to sort bridges there.
  • Kingdom Come: Deliverance, only a few hours in but this game is awesome. Best £6.99 I've spent in a while.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Hmm. What's format is that price on? Always fancied giving it a try
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I wanted to get into that but it's too clunky for me
  • FranticPea wrote:

It was on the Microsoft store, £6.99 for the royal edition. The story and setting is what's grabbed me the most, seems to be completely historically accurate. Combat system is interesting, not sure I like it yet but can see Paul's point about it being clunky.
  • I liked the combat. Just wait until you try archery.
  • FranticPea wrote:
    Grounded

Me and the boy Sparky started from scratch again several weeks ago as it'd been a while, and we weren't happy with our ill chosen main base position. We've found a much better place now, and have a second base on the go and several camps about the map.

This game is frankly staggering. The amount of content continues to blow my mind as we're constantly finding new insects and materials we've never seen before and therefore new weapon and item recipes to work towards.

We ventured up into a new area last night and the place is absolutely enormous (and not where we should be yet it seems, its tough) but man was it a blast to explore.

The exploration is just so much fun, and always rewarding as you find new things. We've managed to progress pretty quickly as we've done alot of this a bunch of times before, but for a new player coming in (especially when version 1.0 hits) I'd say there's easily over 100 hours of content. And this is content that's always feeling fresh as you explore, learn new recipes, upgrade equipment and fight new bugs.

Speaking of fighting, the combat is really good too. Each bug has different attack patterns and abilities, poison etc. Spiders are genuinely scary to fight, and you'll lose track of the amount of times you have to just turn and run for your life when things get too much.

Its just such a genius setting for a survival/crafting/exploration game. Each biome is interesting and there's so many things they could add even after 1.0 hits.

Honestly, I think this might be my favourite game in years. There's always new stuff to do, it's fun as hell to play and charming as all fuck. Every time we finish for a night we reel off a list of things we need to do next session. And more often than not it's things we've not done before, or at least prepping towards doing things we haven't done before.

Shit like Valheim, Icarus, Minecraft etc are my favourite types of games. Survive, base build, learn new recipes. Grounded is up there with the best of the best imo.

Absolutely superb stuff, I can't wait to see what else they do as it already felt like a complete game several updates ago.

I love the premise of this game but what kind of a time sink is it? I’m worried it’ll need commitment I can’t provide.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Solo? A HUGE time sink. Multiplayer, slightly less so.

Tbh it's hard to comment definitively as they've added an enormous amount of content since it first released in early access. Me and Sparky have restarted 3 or 4 times and so we know where to go/ what to do to progress early doors. Coming in fresh....there's ALOT to discover and figure out.

I'm currently on 136 hours played.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I don't think it's too much of a time sink to get some enjoyment out if it. If you enjoy atmosphere and exploration it's here in abundance. You do have to be ok with the survival side of things, me and the boy Frantic love having to plan for problems like that (or forgetting to plan/fucking up and trying to pull ourselves out of the shit). Dunno if there's a creative type of setting to ignore that or not, if not it could be a deal breaker.

Worth a go to find out how you take to it, you don't have to go crazy with the building or owt, a ramshackle camp is fine and probably more fitting
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    a ramshackle camp is fine

Disgusting.
  • 1.0 adds a story mode though, I think. Might be a good fit if you fancy a quick dip.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    There already is a story so I wonder what this is?
  • This might be a case of 'ignore me' as I may not have been paying attention to the trailer properly.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    I mean, there's no cut scenes and the story is pieced together and never explicitly explained, but it's kind of great that way. I hope they don't change that.
  • Resident Evil Village.

I don't know why I still try to convince myself I don't hate these games. They're even worse with a first person view.
  • Yeah, i thought village was a bit ripe as well. Know it has fans but I wasn't one.
  • ZMM wrote:
    It was on the Microsoft store, £6.99 for the royal edition. The story and setting is what's grabbed me the most, seems to be completely historically accurate. Combat system is interesting, not sure I like it yet but can see Paul's point about it being clunky.

Make sure you learn all the advanced combat skills from the trainer guy out the back of the castle. Otherwise you can end up struggling through half the game not being able to do the same parries and combos the AI can.

Also there's stealth skills you have to get from the miller guy, otherwise you can't pickpocket and maybe lockpick IIRC.
  • I don't think it's too much of a time sink to get some enjoyment out if it. If you enjoy atmosphere and exploration it's here in abundance. You do have to be ok with the survival side of things, me and the boy Frantic love having to plan for problems like that (or forgetting to plan/fucking up and trying to pull ourselves out of the shit). Dunno if there's a creative type of setting to ignore that or not, if not it could be a deal breaker.

Worth a go to find out how you take to it, you don't have to go crazy with the building or owt, a ramshackle camp is fine and probably more fitting

I love DRG and most of what you guys are saying about grounded is making me think this might be for me too. I was initially put off playing it as it looked to me like it was aimed at kids, I'm not sure why I came to that conclusion but I'm guessing that's not the case then.

• Started Kena Bridge of Spirits today and it put a massive smile on my face throughout. The graphics are sumptuous, the cut scenes are exceptional and the music has really impressed. Gameplay is okay so far, it feels like a zelda lite from years ago and I don't mean that in a bad way. A great start.

Also started As Dusk Falls and after the initial reaction of 'urgh' to the art style the story did it's job and hooked me in massively. I can see why it has received so much praise.
    Gamertag: aaroncupboard (like the room where you keep towels)
  • In DRG, I am trying to learn the art of grappling to a wall, making a hole, and staying there - without falling to my death.

I don't know if it's possible yet but I shall persevere.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!