Currently Playing
  • mrsmr2 wrote:
    In DRG, I am trying to learn the art of grappling to a wall, making a hole, and staying there - without falling to my death.

I don't know if it's possible yet but I shall persevere.

It is.

Grapple, power shot with the pickaxe early before you hit the wall and you'll be ok. Takes some practice mind as you have to pickaxe slightly earlier than you'd expect. Use hover boots while your learning to save you from falling to your death or the hover over clock on the m1000 when you get it.

Some minerals stick out from the wall like nitra and gold so aim above them, even if you miss time the pickaxe you should still get a foothold above the mineral.

LUDACRIS SPEED!
  • That's good to know. Plenty of falling deaths coming up.
  • Rouge Legacy 2 is a lot of fun
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Am I the only one who doesn't think POINPY is any good then?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I enjoyed it for a bit. It did get a little annoying at the point where I worked out that the best way to progress in the game was to keep your first combo going as long as possible, it meant a lot of quitting early.
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    Am I the only one who doesn't think POINPY is any good then?

Fuck off. You’re supposed to like it. Cos I didn’t think much of it.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Once you start to get good at it the first couple of combo attempts are pretty crucial to quick progression, agree. Was an approach I liked though, as long combo chaining the easier fruit patterns was the bestest part of the game.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Picked up No Man's Sky as it was on sale again, Cinty was playing it, it does have cross play and it's been on my wishlist for ages now and I was finally ready to admit it's never gonna be back at the $9,99 sale price anymore which it often was when it was not seen as a good game by most.

It's pretty impressive, I've not gotten to the nexus yet which seems to be the official point of the game opening up. I can pick up missions, and build stuff and trade etc. I've only been to about 4 planets so far, but the last 2 were hard to actually leave as there was so much to find. Full inventory meant it was better to go back to a space station to trade some stuff etc. Don't park your space ship on top of a steep mountain just because you think the view will be nice as it's a pain to get back. Took a few hours to actually get to understand the controls, but it's fine when you figure it out.

Looking forward to showing it to my nephew next month. He's 11 and loves games like Minecraft so maybe he'll enjoy this as well. Would be nice to have a game to play together that's not Fortnite (which I don't play anymore)
  • Anyone played Solar Ash?  I've read Jon's review and it's been on my watchlist for a while.  Tempted at 30% off, but it's still not particularly cheap.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I played a bit… then got bored. I may go back at some point.
  • I didn’t really get it at the time but it’s been left on the hard drive for me to retry, mainly because of Jon’s positive words.
  • ZMM wrote:
    Hmm. What's format is that price on? Always fancied giving it a try
    It was on the Microsoft store, £6.99 for the royal edition. The story and setting is what's grabbed me the most, seems to be completely historically accurate. Combat system is interesting, not sure I like it yet but can see Paul's point about it being clunky.

Make sure you learn all the advanced combat skills from the trainer guy out the back of the castle. Otherwise you can end up struggling through half the game not being able to do the same parries and combos the AI can.

Also there's stealth skills you have to get from the miller guy, otherwise you can't pickpocket and maybe lockpick IIRC.

Thanks for the tips. This game is feckin awesome. Being a sneaky bastard is so much fun. I had a great night of thievery only to be stopped and randomly searched by a guard who confiscated all me booty, and I got 10 nights in the slammer.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Norco is getting good now, definitely worth a punt.
  • b0r1s wrote:

Same. No idea how far I am through - still feels like it is ramping up - but it's a game with tentacles. The atmosphere and dialogue and everything are such a wall at first. It's oppressive and depressing and feels *heavy* to play. But, the more I played, the more I found it all seeping into me and, before I knew it, the game had me.
  • b0r1s wrote:
    Same. No idea how far I am through - still feels like it is ramping up - but it's a game with tentacles. The atmosphere and dialogue and everything are such a wall at first. It's oppressive and depressing and feels *heavy* to play. But, the more I played, the more I found it all seeping into me and, before I knew it, the game had me.
    More Lovecraft than Minecraft then?
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • b0r1s wrote:
    Yeah, the pixel art, soundtrack and writing all add up to a kind of dense atmosphere, which fits the humidity and pollution in the setting so well. With some of the more surreal stuff it's like some kind of fevered hallucination at times.
  • g.man wrote:
    b0r1s wrote:

It’s a hentai game
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • It's a Paul-Scholes-on-a-yellow-card sim.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    g.man wrote:
    b0r1s wrote:
    It’s a hentai game

Probably a mix of all of em. What it is closest to for me, thematically, not literally, is the crumbling world in King's Dark Tower series. That feeling of worlds coming together as they fall apart. Parts of America decaying, It's good stuff, hope to finish it tonight.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    And done.
  • b0r1s wrote:
    And done.

Nice work. Can I ask how many acts there are.

Just finished
    Spoiler:
    And genuinely don’t know if it’s ramping up or moving towards a finale. Feels like it could be going either way,
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Yup there are...
    Spoiler:
  • R-Type Final 2 takes no prisoners. Just ran out of credits on level three of Kids mode, and it's back to square one.
  • Aye it's a real tough cookie. I'll need to get back to it.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Not sure I like the idea of RType Final 2....
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    It did annoy me that they made a second one, but it does look the business.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    It isn't an Irem game though, is it? Think it's an indie? It got a cool reception in the shmup community.

I love the original Final (it isn't a community darling either mind).
  • I'm no expert on scrolling shmups but it doesn't feel like a great game to me. I've not played an R-Type since briefly borrowing the Master System game but I'm not convinced Final 2 is the business in any way. The detachable drone weapon is brilliant but otherwise it's just a slightly nasty looking memory test with cheap deaths ahoy and an absolutely brutal power down system. Not a clue what's going on with the ship crafting either.

An early win for PS Plus Extra 'cos I'd be pissed off if I'd spent £35 on it.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    All RType games are cheap as far as I'm concerned. They are memory tests but the orb provides opportunities for good, almost puzzle like, level design. The 1st and 2nd games are considered by many the best. 

PS1 got RType Delta which is a cracker but they all have the same design.

Of course that accusation re memory could be made of most modern shmups. Bullet hell games really need the player to figure out a route through a level but they aren't as rigid as something like R-Type.

RType Final on PS2 was glorious because of the sheer number of ships and orbs it lets you unlock. The Score attack mode which lets you try any ship against any level makes it feel like a shmup version of Gran Turismo.

There is no way all those combos in Final could have been tested but the game somehow holds together despite that.
  • Hard agree with all the above. There are actually some great indie R-Type clones out that get far more love than Final 2. Or Final.

Side scrollers have been my jam of late, with the likes of Schildmaid MX and Drainus knocking it outta the park. Nothing matches Rolling Gunner + Overpower though, a somehow improved version of what was already... *ahem* one of the best shmups ever made.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!