A NextGen Console Poll!
  • I would imagine the ratio to be more even than that Amazon poll when sales figs start turning up, but still it seems pretty clear PS4 ownership will exceed that of XB1 by a not-insignificant amount.

I guess it's possible that XB1 will "beat" PS4 but I would be very surprised.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Blue Swirl wrote:
    Mod quite likes taking the shaft from Microsoft. /troll

• How likely are people to consider going for and sticking with only one console this time around? I bought all consoles for the last two generations. Before that I didnt have enough disposable income to get them, and now I don't have enough disposable time to justify them.

I think that's the overriding factor in my decision. I think PS4 looks more appealing, but time wise and house loan wise (a new addition), I can't justify going multiplatform this time around, hence I will be most likely going Wii U only. I'll still keep my PS3 around, and I have a 3DS and assorted retro systems, but I cannot justify to myself the need to keep up to date with multiple equivalent systems anymore.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • I don't think it'll be worth buying a PS4 and an XBone. And it's definitely not worth getting a WiiU.

So yeah, just one most likely. But in the past I've always bought 2, from MD/SNES onwards.
  • It comes down to playing habits to be honest. I'm not an online gamer, so the appeal or draw of certain announced PS4/XB1 games is limited - even though I appreciate they are technically quite spiffy.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • I'm not an online gamer either. I'm not sure there's much announced yet I'll care about (always find it difficult to get excited about a trailer), but most of the games will be available on XB1/PS4, so that's where it'll be worth going. Eventually.
  • WiiU plus PS4 should keep me happy for a while to come. Although as I have no plans to get a PS4 for quite some time, things could easily change. But I find it hard to see me giving MS any money.
  • The thing holding me back from going to PS4 on top of what I mentioned earlier, is cross-gen games. I still intend to get The Last of Us (not cross-gen, but still new), and MGSV is coming to PS3 as well. I still see a lot of life left in that system, and maybe a PS4 will be considered in a few years.

Last/this gen, it was all but a foregone conclusion for me to get them all, but these days I find my gaming needs more often satiated with a good sit-down-and-absorb-it-all experience like RE4, or Zelda, Fire Emblem etc. I only need a few games, and that has led me to realise I don't need all systems in order to access just a few good ones.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    Mod, I've never known a grown adult so blindly defend a company in the face of all evidence to the contrary as you are doing here.
    I don't see it as him defending a company more a case of him defending things that he can't see a problem with.

Also 'evidence'? I think you mean 'opinion'. Yes there is the fact that the XB1 needs to connect to the internet but it isn't evidence that it is a bad thing, it's an opinion that it is a bad thing.

I've been saying from the start that despite all the negative press and all the polls the basic fact for myself about the Xbox One is that in my circumstances I get a much better deal than I do/did with my 360. I'm not bothered about logging in every 24 hours while I'm playing games because my console will be connected to the internet, hell the chances are I will already be online playing Battlefield 4 anyway. I'm not bothered about whether I can't trade a game or whether I can trade a game, I don't trade games now nor do I buy pre-owned so this is both of the main points that are being directed at the Xbox One quashed in my household, when you add to this that my ENTIRE library is playable by my son and my mates or by myself if I go to another Xbox One owning mate's house then you can see why (for some) the supposed issues just aren't there for some of us.

I also can't get my head around why the people that AREN'T buying an Xbox One are also feeling to the need to constantly go on about the features that piss them off about it, you're not getting one so why bother keeping on about why you're not getting one? And this is what I see from Mod, every single time somebody brings up the 'always on' (which it isn't) he will post in reply, just like I presume you and I would?
  • Just out of curiosity, has anyone got the numbers to hand of how many Xboxes sold and how many actually went online?
    I've seen something along the lines of 40m sold but 30m never went online.
    Town name: Downton - Name: Nick - Native Fruit: Apples
  • More like 75 million sold, 40 million accounts. But I don't know it precisely.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    I think there is talk of there being 40m LIVE accounts, not sure if that is unique accounts or including multiple accounts.
  • I wouldn't try and read much into amounts not online, most people who buy 2nd and 3rd machines during a generation keep the same account.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    JMW wrote:
    I wouldn't try and read much into amounts not online, most people who buy 2nd and 3rd machines during a generation keep the same account.
    I'd have thought this would be almost all as well, I know I did. Also I have 2 x Gold accounts so things like this must distort the figures, I can't be alone in having more than one account?
  • I thought everyone has a live account. I do. But I had one year of Gold and now don't go online. Except for those lovely patches.
  • 49 million was the amount in the E3 presentation.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Moto70 wrote:
    JMW wrote:
    I wouldn't try and read much into amounts not online, most people who buy 2nd and 3rd machines during a generation keep the same account.
    I'd have thought this would be almost all as well, I know I did. Also I have 2 x Gold accounts so things like this must distort the figures, I can't be alone in having more than one account?

Yeah, I was meaning I think Sas was getting to the point of saying a big proportion of 360s didn't go online, but I don't think that's the case, the difference between accounts and sales is down to replacement machines.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    I bought my initial 360 then had 2 or 3 replacements before I bought my 360S, in fact that's another thing that annoyed me, an article I read said that we stuck by Microsoft throught the RRoD (no mention of YLoD mind), we didn't fucking stick by them they replaced our consoles. Sticking by them would have been buying our own replacements.

I don't think the reporting is helping in any way, shape or form. I have only read one article that I deemed to be balanced.
  • Moto70 wrote:
    I bought my initial 360 then had 2 or 3 replacements before I bought my 360S, in fact that's another thing that annoyed me, an article I read said that we stuck by Microsoft throught the RRoD (no mention of YLoD mind), we didn't fucking stick by them they replaced our consoles. Sticking by them would have been buying our own replacements. I don't think the reporting is helping in any way, shape or form. I have only read one artocle that I deemed to be balanced.
    If a situation isn't balanced, I'm not clear why a journalist should be reporting it as such.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    monkey wrote:
    If a situation isn't balanced, I'm not clear why a journalist should be reporting it as such.
    I was talking about balanced reporting, so you don't think that when mentioning negatives you should mention any positives?

Hardly reporting is it? I think the majority of what you will find written are actually opinion pieces and not journalistic reporting.
  • Moto70 wrote:
    So you don't think that when mentioning any negatives you should mention any positives? Hardly decent reporting is it?
    If there's more negatives than positive, you should say so. The consoles are quite different, the reactions to them from their potential customers has been very different. There's probably a lot of bandwagon jumping for page views and stuff, I don't know. 

The story seems to be 'Xbox has not been well-received, PS4 has been, this is why that's happened'. It's not a story that can be all that balanced.
  • I'm talking in principle here, mind. Games journalism isn't something I want to get into defending. Should have made that a bit clearer initially. I'm sure you're right that there's a lot of bad stuff around.
  • Got to say in the past couple of days I have gone from being all over that Xbox to pretty much decided on PS4.

The DRM stuff didn't fuss me too much but the price and need for all this extra gubbins like battery packs and a mic is just ridiculous.

That and everyone here seems to be getting PS4, Air_Hair_lair is too and he is the only other person I play with online really.

Decision made, now I can get on the hype train.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    I'm not asking for a balanced story, I'm asking for reporting. It's all well and good you saying about DRM and me saying about gamesharing but we're not journalists. A journalist's job is to report and if the piece he his writing is merely an opinion he should say as such at the start not prattle on about how he thinks it is the best or worst system in the world, it's not his job to influence but to educate or at least that is how I saw journalism.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    JMW wrote:
    Moto70 wrote:
    JMW wrote:
    Yeah, I was meaning I think Sas was getting to the point of saying a big proportion of 360s didn't go online, but I don't think that's the case, the difference between accounts and sales is down to replacement machines.

Or people that have three working machines. Like me.

Or people that never take their box online. Because apparently they exist.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    Mod, I've never known a grown adult so blindly defend a company in the face of all evidence to the contrary as you are doing here.

Ha!

Awesome. So by your rationale the "evidence" says EA are the worst company in America two years running. And I need to grow up?
  • Yeah, replacement/additional machines. For all practical purposes I'd be happy to assume that all 360s went online.
  • Moto70 wrote:
    I'm not asking for a balanced story, I'm asking for reporting. It's all well and good you saying about DRM and me saying about gamesharing but we're not journalists. A journalist's job is to report and if the piece he his writing is merely an opinion he should say as such at the start not prattle on about how he thinks it is the best or worst system in the world, it's not his job to influence but to educate or at least that is how I saw journalism.

Bias is inherent. If you don't want bias, just read the stat sheets and the announcements on MCV. Any piece that compares two things will quite likely raise one above the other, or miss stuff out due to word counts and such. At the end of the day, 90% of games journalism is opinion, from news to reviews, otherwise it would just be "The game is 19.6gb. It has 7 graphics. It will have drm. You can shoot a gun slow and fast."
  • Everyone has bias, that's true. Where it becomes a problem is when that bias is due to influence or external pressure. The biggest offending examples in recent memory being the complete lack of information about Skyrim PS3 performance issues, when every press comment on the matter was glowing praise, and Bethesda refused to release any PS3 demo code for reviewers.

The RROD scandal was also pretty disgusting too. It took about a year for Microsoft to comment on it, beyond the flippant and insulting dismissals like "Things break". The press hardly pushed the issue at all.

I think those kinds of incidents speak not so much about personal bias per se, but rather the problem of organisational level bias and influence, which makes it impossible for me to trust media outlets these days. They were all tarnished over the course of this past generation, with the sole exception of Retro Gamer.

It is nice to see the emergence of people like Jim Sterling, and Eurogamer seem to have found a spine after the John Walker/Doritios-gate events of late 2012.
  • Microsoft are going to come good.

It's all going to be ok guys. It has to.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!