A NextGen Console Poll!
  • Vela wrote:
    It is nice to see the emergence of people like Jim Sterling, and Eurogamer seem to have found a spine after the John Walker/Doritios-gate events of late 2012.

Totally off topic but what's this about Walker? I'm a fan of the guy.
  • Wasn't Walker the person who wrote a piece called "A Fistful of Doritos" on Eurogamer last year?
    Self editing - no, it wasn't, it was Rab Florence. But Walker was very vocal on Rock Paper Shotgun about the issue, and gained much respect for doing so. He is a good man by all accounts.

Anyway, the article that kicked it off was by Rab Florence  -  In it he suggested that game journos were giving the impression of being on the take by spruiking for various publishers at a GMA awards night.

Long story short, another journo (Lauren Wainwright) apparently requested it be edited due to references to her, the whole article was taken down, and allegations were thrown around about legal requests and libel etc etc. Things got messy.

Basically the impression I have had since that event is that Eurogamer has become noticeably more outspoken on shady issues, or issues that might be seen as such.

Disclaimer being that a lot of what impressions I gained from this event are no doubt different from realities inside eurogamer etc, for obvious reasons. But I think in the months afterwards they have portrayed themselves quite respectfully, and outwardly I get the impression they learned some valuable lessons from it.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Ah yes, I'm following you now. It was indeed Rab, who's great/awful by equal turns. I respect what RPS do a hell of a lot, it's a shame a very vocal part of their readership is determined to hate everything they do.
  • I can't say Ive been a regular reader of RPS. I have read a few of their opinion pieces and they come off as quite thoughtful, but being a PC centric site their interests and mine have rarely overlapped.

I also quite enjoy reading musings of people like (not the singer) Tim Rogers, because it is evident that their musings are so absurdly non sequitur that they must be genuine. I quite enjoyed his edited-for-brevity columns in Games TM a few years back. Even if they often didn't go anywhere. They were the closest thing to Biffovision for entertainment value and thoughtfulness at their peak.

I think nowadays I mostly respect Retro Gamer's work because it is something they write as a passion for the history of a hobby. No perceived conflict of interest is to be had in an archival romp through the history of Manic Miner or Dizzy Down the Rapids. Those people just love games, and it comes across far more strongly in the currently overtly corporate nature of many game review sites.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    Most of the big/known sites stick to either a fully corporate approach or a highly opinion driven fanzine.

It's a shame there's not much in the middle ground. Eurogamer used to be less about the opinion..but that seems to have changed in recent years.
  • I think there are some genuine consumer issues that can't be tackled with a fully corporate approach.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Moto70 wrote:
    I also can't get my head around why the people that AREN'T buying an Xbox One are also feeling to the need to constantly go on about the features that piss them off about it, you're not getting one so why bother keeping on about why you're not getting one? And this is what I see from Mod, every single time somebody brings up the 'always on' (which it isn't) he will post in reply, just like I presume you and I would?
    I think you'll find that I haven't been banging on about the features I don't like in the Xbox One. I listed them the day after the Sony conference to show why I'd decided on a PS4, but I'm not sure that I've particularly mentioned them since. In fact, I feel fairly confident that since then I've listed the things I like about the Xbox more often than the things I don't.

As for correcting mistakes in what people are saying about the One, that would be fine if that's what he was doing, but it's not. Witness the several pages we had of him implying that there would be some kind of draconian DRM put into place by the publishers on PS4 and that their silence on this issue was some kind of terrible betrayal of us all despite having n evidence to support this claim. And, incidentally, it's a claim which is fine to make, it may well yet come to pass, but say it once, maybe twice, constantly repeating it is a bit much.

Mod74 wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:
    Mod, I've never known a grown adult so blindly defend a company in the face of all evidence to the contrary as you are doing here.
    Ha! Awesome. So by your rationale the "evidence" says EA are the worst company in America two years running. And I need to grow up?

The evidence that I'm talking about is that Microsoft have massively misjudged this console launch and alienated most of their core users by introducing overly restrictive policies, and that as things stand, are looking like they're going to be wiped out at retail when these consoles launch.

In short, that Microsoft have got this wrong.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    I wouldn't worry too much about screwing up a media message.

It's not like they suggested gamers should get second jobs to afford it, or that they've deliberately made it hard to develop for, or that rumble is a last gen feature.

77m units later all that is a distant memory.
  • It still doesn't change the fact that if you're right, literally almost everyone else must be wrong. If you're feeling the heat in here, I wouldn't venture outside if I were you.
  • @Vela yeah, Trodgers is a guy. I appreciate his site, action button, because they score things ridiculously, but their review policy is brilliant, and is basically "we do what we feel necessary in each instance" which always makes for an entertaining read full of points to agree/disagree with at your leisure. Also, bravo for them for suggesting Gears of War was the game of the decade back in 2010, their peice on it was spot on and a great read.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    JMW wrote:
    It still doesn't change the fact that if you're right, literally almost everyone else must be wrong. If you're feeling the heat in here, I wouldn't venture outside if I were you.

right/wrong?

Of a different opinion perhaps. And opinions can change very quickly. Just look at, well, this week.

What did MS screw up so badly again? A mixed and incomplete message on DRM. Just like Sony have. And the price, which can change tomorrow.

Forgive me if I don't put a lot of stock in opinion that changes at a whim.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Mod74 wrote:
    I wouldn't worry too much about screwing up a media message. It's not like they suggested gamers should get second jobs to afford it, or that they've deliberately made it hard to develop for, or that rumble is a last gen feature. 77m units later all that is a distant memory.

I'm not even stating that this is the end of Microsoft or the Xbox One or anything that extreme, I've said many times before that this generation is likely to last a decade if not more and it's pretty much impossible to predict what things will look like in ten years, but right now, it's Microsoft who have to do all the running.
  • Microsoft want this gen to last 10 years according to their response about how many units they want to sell in the One's lifetime.
  • Sounds a bit blind to me. Fair enough if you're looking at a 60/40 poll split, a few disadvantages on each side, nothing that can't be explained by differences in interpretation etc. - this is unprecedented, the odds seem stacked at the moment. I'm not saying some ground can't be made up, not least with a couple of U-turns, but at the moment Microsoft have really ballsed this up and toughing it out won't help them.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Because the Xbox OS runs in a virtual machine, they could in theory swap out the box for a more powerful one and still have everything work. Like Apple do basically.

Not saying that'll happen but it seems the plan is to have this platform around for a long long time.

In 5 or 6 years maybe there'll be an Xbox Two.

Oh......now the name makes sense.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    JMW wrote:
    Sounds a bit blind to me. Fair enough if you're looking at a 60/40 poll split, a few disadvantages on each side, nothing that can't be explained by differences in interpretation etc. - this is unprecedented, the odds seem stacked at the moment. I'm not saying some ground can't be made up, not least with a couple of U-turns, but at the moment Microsoft have really ballsed this up and toughing it out won't help them.

No offence mate, but you sound like I did in 2006. I'd like to think experience has made us all a bit more rational.
  • Tempy wrote:
    @Vela yeah, Trodgers is a guy. I appreciate his site, action button, because they score things ridiculously, but their review policy is brilliant, and is basically "we do what we feel necessary in each instance" which always makes for an entertaining read full of points to agree/disagree with at your leisure. Also, bravo for them for suggesting Gears of War was the game of the decade back in 2010, their peice on it was spot on and a great read.

I'll have to go back to it, I recall hearing it was an interesting read but missed it.

I think one of their reviews was notoriously long (10,000 words plus) but I can't remember which it was. I think I'm going to have to start reading that site again.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    Yoss my 'you' isn't 'you' it is, and always has been, the collective 'you'. If I meant you specifically I would say so, I am going to make sure all my generic you's are in italic as I don't want people to feel that a post is directed straight at them.

On another note, where can I read some of this John Walker chap's scribblings?
  • Moto70 wrote:
    Yoss my 'you' isn't 'you' it is, and always has been, the collective 'you'. If I meant you specifically I would say so, I am going to make sure all my generic you's are in italic as I don't want people to feel that a post is directed straight at them. On another note, where can I read some of this John Walker chap's scribblings?

http://botherer.org/
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Mod74 wrote:
    Because the Xbox OS runs in a virtual machine, they could in theory swap out the box for a more powerful one and still have everything work.

Actually, I did see that. Very interesting indeed. Doesn't change the fact that they've badly screwed up this launch and will have to work very hard to get it back on track, but still.
  • Mod74 wrote:
    JMW wrote:
    Sounds a bit blind to me. Fair enough if you're looking at a 60/40 poll split, a few disadvantages on each side, nothing that can't be explained by differences in interpretation etc. - this is unprecedented, the odds seem stacked at the moment. I'm not saying some ground can't be made up, not least with a couple of U-turns, but at the moment Microsoft have really ballsed this up and toughing it out won't help them.
    No offence mate, but you sound like I did in 2006. I'd like to think experience has made us all a bit more rational.

If in 2006 we'd seen 10/1 polls, almost entirely negative press, hugely different system approaches with one being almost universally derided then maybe. But we didn't.
  • Apple will release the Pink Lady and blow all competition away.

Watch this space.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    Because the Xbox OS runs in a virtual machine, they could in theory swap out the box for a more powerful one and still have everything work.
    Actually, I did see that. Very interesting indeed. Doesn't change the fact that they've badly screwed up this launch and will have to work very hard to get it back on track, but still.

It would make more sense to me to move away from the "BAM! NEXT GEN (none of your old games work now)" system we've always had to a more "regular" Apple esque upgrade system. Although not every 8 months regular hopefully.

It makes sense to me, whether that's something console player are ready for who knows. It's all speculation anyway. But if that is the plan, it would make more sense to back the longer running horse. Sony could possibly do the same, but all this talk of being "closer to the metal" suggests perhaps not. Maybe they won't need to given the faster RAM. Maybe it'll take 5 years just for component prices to mean they can sell it at a profit.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    JMW wrote:
    Mod74 wrote:
    JMW wrote:
    If in 2006 we'd seen 10/1 polls, almost entirely negative press, hugely different system approaches with one being almost universally derided then maybe. But we didn't.

Polls you say? Case closed.
  • This is my point, you can run around going 'la la la can't hear you' all you like but that doesn't mean it's not going on.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Indeed.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    I'm not pretending it's not going on. I just don't put a huge amount of stock in it.

It's feedback for MS to take on board and respond to if they want to. Personally I'd wait for hard numbers from retailers before worrying about what the same people who think EA are worse than Bank of America think.
  • Yeah those 'worst company in America' polls are fucking farcical.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    This is quite an impressive amount of ignoring of these polls you've got going on here.

Do you think that BoA customers and EA customers share a similar demographic? Which set of customers do you think is more likely to be online and susceptible to Internet campaigns?

Do you think Xbox and PlayStation have massively different demographics?
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    Which set of customers do you think is more likely to be online and susceptible to Internet campaigns?

Thank you for getting it.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!