Pro Wrestling
  • Editing this as I sounded like a right prick. Cornette is a shitty old racist and I can't be fucked with him at all
  • If hes just talking about Bobby, it should be excellent. Cornettes problem is being unable to accept that wrestling moved on from his time. Its a shame he turned into a bitter old man, because he's one of the sharpest minds in the business. Hopefully he can just talk about Eaton without veering into "unlike these fuckin' idiots today" territory.

I see where you are coming from. I think to be fair, Cornette has accepted that the industry/ business has moved on from what he would like it to be but because he makes a killing from nostalgia fans and people wanting to hear him critic the current product, he does so. But he'd be the first to say if it wasn't for his podcast audience, he wouldnt watch modern wrestling. He is definitely overly harsh on AEW at times but, I gotta say, I agree with many of his points. There is a lot of modern wrestling I think is awful as well. Sure, it has its audience but so did Hulkamania and everyone was allowed critic that. 
    Frosty wrote:
    Editing this as I sounded like a right prick. Cornette is a shitty old racist and I can't be fucked with him at all

I'm a bit surprised by this as Cornette has been very vocal anti-trump/ republican especially in areas of racism so curious what you are going on as a reference to this. Like a lot of people his age and his nationality, he has a blind spot when it comes to comments about "sand people" but that is sadly still quite prevalent in the American Wrestling scene, regardless of politic sides.
    SFV - reddave360
  • RedDave2 wrote:
    Frosty wrote:
    Editing this as I sounded like a right prick. Cornette is a shitty old racist and I can't be fucked with him at all
    I'm a bit surprised by this as Cornette has been very vocal anti-trump/ republican especially in areas of racism so curious what you are going on as a reference to this. Like a lot of people his age and his nationality, he has a blind spot when it comes to comments about "sand people" but that is sadly still quite prevalent in the American Wrestling scene, regardless of politic sides.

Jim Cornette Resigns From National Wrestling Alliance After ‘Offensive’ On-Air Statement
  • Editing this as I sounded like a right prick. Cornette is a shitty old racist and I can't be fucked with him at all
    Jim Cornette Resigns From National Wrestling Alliance After ‘Offensive’ On-Air Statement

I think that's more a case of being out of touch and in-sensitive of the times rather than being a shitty old racist. The follow up podcast saw his co-host rightly point out the problem with the comment. Cornettes side of the argument (and according to him his reason for quitting) was not to the do with the joke (he accepted he might be out of touch but granted, I think he still figured as a remark it was ok for a heel commentator to say - and given that he is the owner of the "ronnie garvin just went up like the challenger" comment he certainly has pedigree in this) but more that the producer, Dave Lagana, wanted him to apologies for the comment. This might sound a fair request but Cornette rightly points out that Lagana is the producer of the taped show so he knew the comment was in there and if he, as producer, allows it to air than he clearly either saw nothing wrong with out or is negligent on his side. Either way, he says he would have no problem with the company either editing the comment out before airing or even if they had criticized the comment before it aired or disciplined him on it. He quit because the company didn't take responsibility for what it aired. 

I realize that doesn't clear Cornette of the comment and unfortunately its something which we still suffer from with older people but in the grand scheme of things, I dont think Cornette is racist. Much like his views on wrestling, his concepts of what are harmless comments are out of date (see also his comments on people living in the middle east)

Edit: Cornettes defence of the comment was that it was not aimed at black people and more a play on the perception of famine countries and in his mind no different than South Parks Starving Marvin jokes. His co-host did point out the Fried Chicken comment adds a racist element given its history in American racism and he needs to understand that context.

The quote: 
    Spoiler:
    SFV - reddave360
  • Cornette is renowned for being anti trump, anti guns and generally pro multiculturalism. What he’s not is particularly sensitive which is problematic when in the role of a broadcaster.

I quite like him even though I only agree with 50% of what he says and he’s entitled to his sometimes valid criticism of Aew. Though he’s overly militant about it to a degree that’s a little uncomfortable, even inspiring a fan run in recently.
  • Dogfingers wrote:
    Cornette is renowned for being anti trump, anti guns and generally pro multiculturalism. What he’s not is particularly sensitive which is problematic when in the role of a broadcaster.

I quite like him even though I only agree with 50% of what he says and he’s entitled to his sometimes valid criticism of Aew. Though he’s overly militant about it to a degree that’s a little uncomfortable, even inspiring a fan run in recently.

100 percent agree with that. Overall I find I agree with him on the type of wrestling I like but he really needs to ease off with the retoric against AEW. Also given that the last three wrestlemanias best matches have tended to be the women's match, his dislike and dismissing of the female divisions hurts his cred.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Meh, he's not my dad so I don't feel the need to tolerate it when he says something racist regardless of his intentions or how good his wrestling takes are. It's also hard for me to give him the benefit of the doubt when it's not a one time deal.

I say we move on as this was supposed to be about Bobby Eaton until I dragged us off topic. Does anyone have a favourite match of his? He's not someone I know a lot about.
  • Dynamite and Rampage were real hot shows even though not everything was great it has such a party atmosphere it doesn’t matter. Also signing Jamie Hayter is a great move as she’s a real good wrestler and gives that weak women’s division a boost.
  • On a side note there are 2 major shows happening this evening. One is New Japan Resurgence in the USA. The building is sold out and the card looks damn good.

[ul][li]IWGP United States Heavyweight Championship Lance Archer (c) vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi[/li][li]IWGP Never Championship Jay White (c) vs. David Finlay[/li][li]Jon Moxley and ???? v Good Brothers[/li][li]Moose vs Tomohiro Ishii[/li][/ul]

The other is TripleMania, AAA's biggest show of the year. Kenny Omega is main eventing defending the AAA title against Andrade. These shows are usually real fun, I don't watch enough Mexican stuff.
  • I wish I had the time to watch those. I've had so much fun watching Dynamite and Rampage this week I just want to watch more and Omega Andrade plus a lot of that resurgence card would be just the thing.

• Made a video for the Baron Corbin storyline going on at the moment, which could have been so much better than what they have done, but still has potential. Condenses a month of things into 5 minutes.

• Good stuff there Dante. I like what Corbin has been doing with this. It's gleefully silly, but it's also a pretty bold gambit. Apparently WWE has trademarked the name Happy Corbin recently, so I hope that's hinting at a big turnaround in his fortunes, and a new direction for the pay-off that's hopefully coming.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • I'd love for him to join NWA with the name Billy Corbin.
  • hahaha
  • Then demand people call him William Corbin.
  • :D
  • Havent seen a wrestlers look change to a normal person like that since Sean Morley went from Big Val to just regular Sean.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Don't really like AEW in general, nor do I care for Fozzy, but this is sick.

https://twitter.com/EIiteAEW/status/1428171086991171584
  • It really is a shame he's such a massive twat.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I thought Jericho was a good lad?
  • It really is a shame he's such a massive twat.

You just made the list
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • jokes aside that was fucking sick
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • I thought Jericho was a good lad?

Donated to Trump, all lives matter, Covidiot.

Yeah - Cornette had a huge rant about this.

The thing is, even if Jericho is a twat and a dick, does this take away from his actually work? I know a celebs actions shouldnt take away from their work but, much like musicians, i find it much harder to seperate a wrestlers persona from his real life persona, especially one who has rezched the top and been allowed to have much more influence over their character.

SFV - reddave360
  • I'm pretty immune to Judas after a year or so of the developmental wrestlers being forced to sing along to it through the pandemic while there were no crowds. Really takes the shine off the fans spontaneously doing it. It's a bit like when they were chanting this is awesome in empty arenas - feels too corporate and fake.

Don't really like Jericho as a face either, he never feels real. Plus wot Dante said. I did enjoy the match though.

I enjoyed Dynamite this week a lot. There's was some guff but the good stuff was just incredibly entertaining. Sting no selling going through a table, The Bucks winning but finally starting to face consequences for being a bunch of cheating bastards, Sammy Guevara proposing before Dynamite and getting a huge home town pop, the pop for Jungle Boy and Luchasaurus all made that first hour so much fun.

Excited for Rampage this week as well. Moxley basically calling out Punk in his promo has me very excited for Friday and what the angle will be.
  • Don't know what show it was on, but saw a clip of Sting no selling a power bomb through a table. What a load of bollocks.

No selling chops from Flair in the 80's/90's is okay, but no selling that at 62 can fuck right off.
  • Oh I loved it, it popped me hard. The way he's been presented the last few months really makes me believe it. Like the undertaker he's just got an aura.

He can also still go at 62 which is crazy. He's done 3 matches and in each one they've hid his age and limitations really well. He shouldn't look as good as he does.
  • Don't know what show it was on, but saw a clip of Sting no selling a power bomb through a table. What a load of bollocks.

No selling chops from Flair in the 80's/90's is okay, but no selling that at 62 can fuck right off.

Dont get me started on the sammy guevera match bro...
    SFV - reddave360
  • Frosty wrote:
    Oh I loved it, it popped me hard. The way he's been presented the last few months really makes me believe it. Like the undertaker he's just got an aura.

He can also still go at 62 which is crazy. He's done 3 matches and in each one they've hid his age and limitations really well. He shouldn't look as good as he does.

Me too, popped like a motherfucker. It’s sting. He can do it. If Mike Sydell did it that’s another story. Dynamite was class this week. Couple of quality matches, some good intrigue, yes, some utter guff as well but hey, it’s a fun car crash. Loved the Jurassic Express Bucks match as well. Wrestling is brilliant at the minute with 4 company alliance thing going on you never know who’s showing up.

Styles being a homophobic, flat earther was a bit of a disappointment.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!