PC gaming.
  • In all of the TW games I've played, "friendly" projectiles can and will hurt your own troops if they are in close proximity/fighting with an enemy unit.

Particularly the fucking cannons.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Particularly the fucking cannons.

I had a terrible habit in Empire.

Upon yet another enemy force being made to rout due to my fine strategems i'd do what everyone else does and have my general unit charge down all the fleeing infantry for easy veterency. But i'd always forget I have my cannons on fire at will and one would always career straight through the bodyguard and turn my jolly general into paste.
  • Gotta micromanage more then I guess. Sigh. I used to be able to waste them over bridges and all sorts, now even a seige means I loose numbers. I take it the standard strategy for Shogun still works out as 4 Ashigaru Bowmen, 2 Samurai Bowmen, protectd by a line of Yari Sam/Ash-men and maybe some katana/no-dachi men for awesome charges, light/yari cavalry on the flanks to pincer units... yeah?

If a unit is in combat, do you still get a charge bonus for attacking them?
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    You sure do.

Personally I always prefer being the defender in a battle. It allows you to chill on a steep hill which gives big melee bonuses to your troops and extra range to your bowmen and the AI is the one that has to try and dislodge you.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I wouldn't bother with No-daichi. The charge is devestating but you have to maneuver them well since charging is the only thing they do well, if they're caught in missile fire they're dead rather quickly and they're barely better than Yari Ashigaru in extended melee. Plus expensive hoooly shit expensive.
  • Defence makes it hard to actually progress in the campain though which has a ludicrously short timespan before you get a game over because you haven't captured the right provinces.

I'm not really a No-Dachi guy, prefer covering the enemy with arrows. Would love to give an all-monk army a go one day though.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    It's more about aggressive defense, if that makes sense. Try if you can to always engage an enemy in their fort but never lay siege, just starve them out till they sally fourth. Place your stacks in such a way so that an enemy force is baited or can't move past them without starting a battle.

And I always fancied seeing the effects of an all-matchlock army on an all warrior monk one. We should definitely indulge ourselves.
  • Anyone still up for Tribes tonight?
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Jesus, this Shogun sounds the shit, but fuck mega PC's. Is Rome a bitch to run or will a laptop I bought at Christmas be ok?
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Shite. Sorry Nexx, forgot about Tribes night. I'm now about to play Shog 2 co op with a mate I haven't spoken with in ages. Sorry :(
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Jesus, this Shogun sounds the shit, but fuck mega PC's. Is Rome a bitch to run or will a laptop I bought at Christmas be ok?

Should run it startlingly well.
  • Jesus, this Shogun sounds the shit, but fuck mega PC's. Is Rome a bitch to run or will a laptop I bought at Christmas be ok?

What's it's specs? I'm sure it will, Rome runs super on my lowly machine.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I don't have a clue about the specs, I don't even know where to look to find out.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Rome will run fine, don't worry. It's 8 years old.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Cracking start to another legendary difficulty co op campaign with a mate tonight on Shogun 2. Me as Takeda he as Hojo.

Takeda being able to recruit light cavalry from the start gives you a big initial advantage. And having two units of light cav and using them in tandem with my spare general unit practically saved on their own a couple of shakey early battles including an ambush against an even sized force of a thousand men. Bill in Hojo is slowly expanding due to his rich provinces, gold mine and cunning use of diplomatic backstabbing/taking advantage of undefended settlements.

Right now we've got a strong Ally in Imagawa who's keeping the Oda monster at bay but the Ikko-Ikki's volatile religion is starting to seep into my provinces and their guaranteed militancy will eventually be an issue. For now, the Takeda-Hojo alliance is battling for its life against a weakened Uesugi clan which has one huge death stack army remaining but only two provinces. If we manage it, hopefully Date further east will be a pushover and we can then focus just going west, to the shogunate!
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    Been playing ARMA II OA. Can't decide if it's brilliant or terrible.
  • metagonzo
    Show networks
    Xbox
    MetaGonzo
    Steam
    metagonzo

Send message
    Have a good play with the editor and I'll wager you come down on the side of brilliant.
    XBL, iOS, Steam: metagonzo
  • Curtis
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Curtis Rolph
    Twitter
    CUR715
    Xbox
    CUR715
    PSN
    C_R
    Steam
    CUR715
    Wii
    CUR715

Send message
    Getting my rig this weekend. Looking forward to a bit of pee-cee gaming.

Never thought i'd utter those words.
  • Getting that mental Alienware one still? What specs did you go for?

@Brooks - I keep meaning to explore plenty of those 7DFPS entries, RPS did a good article about a bunch of them. One of them was a Wolfenstien rendition of the bit in Slaughterhouse V where Billy Pilgrim experiences a battle backwards, so the aim is to unshoot everyone.

Edit: Here is the link, the first one is certainly a game for H to play during his hols, lest his iron grip over poor Scottish grammar slip.
  • Curtis
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Curtis Rolph
    Twitter
    CUR715
    Xbox
    CUR715
    PSN
    C_R
    Steam
    CUR715
    Wii
    CUR715

Send message
    Dunno yet. Gonna make my final decision/order on Friday morning.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Steam are doing 75% off all C&C titles. Do they often have sales?
  • They've been known to have them once in a while.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    I'll keep an eye out.

You know in ARMA II, is there a "proper" way you're supposed to play it?

I assume there's the "support your team, move as a group" way. But I was playing last night and with no voice comms or chat window (need to work that out) I just ninja'd into a mosque we were apparrently supposed to be attacking. (Domination game?).

The defenders didn't spot me so I essentially spawn raped about 6 of them. Was that bad form?
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    Getting that mental Alienware one still? What specs did you go for?

@Brooks - I keep meaning to explore plenty of those 7DFPS entries, RPS did a good article about a bunch of them. One of them was a Wolfenstien rendition of the bit in Slaughterhouse V where Billy Pilgrim experiences a battle backwards, so the aim is to unshoot everyone.

Edit: Here is the link, the first one is certainly a game for H to play during his hols, lest his iron grip over poor Scottish grammar slip.

I am going to get involved with all of those
  • Town name: Downton - Name: Nick - Native Fruit: Apples
  • It was already on PC!
  • Tempy wrote:
    It was already on PC!

Well, it's coming again, with Online features and what-not.
    Town name: Downton - Name: Nick - Native Fruit: Apples
  • Heh, I know. It sounds like they've improved the audio and visuals... are they testing the waters for some kind of remake?

You can also insta-level your characters, which should make it a nice relaxing experience.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I tried FFVII on PC, Jesus fuck the controls.

Almost as bad as Grim Fandango's.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!