Mass Effect Universe (Spoilers)
  • b0r1s wrote:
    Im on ps5 :(  It will be strange playing on a playstation.
    Couldn’t bring myself to do it lol. Too many fond memories of play on xbox.
    I would have gone xbox but I only have a series s plus Im game sharing with my brother on ps5, so half the price, yus!

Im half afraid to jump back in, I dont want to ruin my memory of it. Im hoping its not another Shadow of the Colossus...technically an improvement but loosing the mystery/atmosphere.
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    My crap memory means I forget a lot of the first one so the mystery is back. Having said that it feels like amnesia. As I start to play the scenes I start to recall bits.
  • My memory is terrible too. Sorry though, I meant the technical upgrades in the Shadow remake ruined some of the atmosphere. It removed a lot of the fog, which yeah was a technical limitation at the time but it also served to shroud the forbidden land in mystery.
  • If I wasn't in a deep Yakuza hole I'd be all over this but goddamn it stupid sexy Kiryu
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    @ninja gotcha

@gav must finish YakLad
  • Raiziel wrote:
    This is my fifth play through of ME1. The combat is definitely better. Just arrived at the Citadel. It’s good to be back.

I suppose one of the concerns I had about returning to ME1 was going back to the Citadel. The thought of jogging along those bland looking space corridors again hoping to stumble upon aliens to give me side-quests just doesn't fill me with glee*

Have they at least spruced the place up a little bit with a bit more environmental detail and things?

*Nothing fills me with glee.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • b0r1s wrote:
    @ninja gotcha

@gav must finish YakLad

I couldn’t quite get into YakLad so moved it on to come back to at some other point as I have this, Returnal and Resi on the go.

Maybe 2 hours into ME and the work they have done is fantastic so far. After trying the original ME on Gamepass a few months ago to have a dabble before this it’s almost night and day.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Watched the giant bomb quicklook, and glad I wasn't insane as Jeff G also noted that he thought on the comparison video the old one looked better.

Looks very "flat" although I'm heartened by the improved combat. I last replayed 1 only about 3 years ago and it was by far the weakest aspect
  • Spending a few minutes on the title screen before I get started. That soundtrack. Bliss. 

Glad to hear combat is improved cos it was a bit shit before.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Ugh. Got to the beacon, saw the vision, and the game crashed!
  • And now I have to do disarm bombs again.
  • Didn’t get the achievement for completing Eden Prime. Must be a bug?
  • Trundling around the Citadel again trying in vain to find the fucking docking bay that would allow me to finally escape the place was just as tedious as I remember. However, I grabbed me a side mission that allowed me to take the Mako out for a spin across a volcanic planet and all was alright with the universe again.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    You could have just checked your journal, which tells you exactly where to find it.
    Get schwifty.
  • What's the feeling on the remaster? I'm desperately holding out for some reviews but it's proving tough.
    Peter3C
  • So the graphics need a colour grading option and they need to reintroduce some bloom. Other than that it looks great. Like riding a bike
  • ME1 is best enjoyed as a trip down memory lane; nostalgia helps numb you to the fact that it's not much of a 'game' per se - its cover mechanics and AI are pretty god damn awful.

The remaster does make a heck of a difference to the the alien faces, so it definitely delivers in that department. But humans still look like Mr potato head, even worse than a Bethesda game to be honest.

Just had a blast mowing down waves upon waves of creepy spore men to kill an alien hive mind. Wasted all the humans too that got in my way. God damn colonists...
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    You monster!  I did that bit today and saved them all.  
    Get schwifty.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Had a proper play this morning. Just did all the citadel first bits and the side quests. It’s a weird one alright. Shooting feels ok but not as good as I remember for ME2/3.

The citadel map is woeful with no ability to reference other areas to get to. Some QoL improvements could be made there.

The voice acting is great but it really jarring with the terrible facial animation that feels worse now that it has been sharpened up for 4K. There seems to be quite a bit of artefacting around the mouth area and some serious googly eyes going on.

Overall I’m in this one for the story with the better gameplay to come in the sequels.
  • I can't imagine ever wanting to play these games again.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Why can’t Shep run more than 10 yards? Wouldn’t pass any military physical.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I’m absolutely loving my time with the game, and when I’m not playing it I find myself wishing I was.
    Get schwifty.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I’m enjoying it. It’s just a bit janky and not as goods as ME2 but that’s ok I’ll get there soon enough.
  • ME1 is my fave of the trilogy mainly due to the world building, cohesion, character moments and choice-design etc and I’ve never been one who felt it was sth you had to endure to get to 2.

However, now that this will be my fifth or sixth run through the game, I’ll admit that age is showing on ME1. Not necessarily in the combat (which isn’t great, I know) or the environment design - flat and boxy, yes - more the side quests and the way they often end abruptly with text boxes, and take place in the same 2 bunker environments over and over and over again.

There’s some really amazing world and story stuff in these missions - angry L2s, thorian shizzle, early Cerberus! - but the way they are put together smacks of “this’ll do, we have to ship this game”. This is the part that, post-ME 2 and 3, post Witcher 3 etc displays the most jank.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I always thought Mass Effect 1 had the best core story but the side content was pretty bad even at the time and obviously the core gameplay needed, and got in 2 and 3, some improvement. It's a shame the side content couldn't be fleshed out for the remaster but I guess you'd be looking at a semi-remake at that point.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    The first time my friend gave me a loan of Mass Effect, I put it down because I was too scared of how "big" it was and I felt I didn't know what to do.

In some ways, it's the most directed of the series, 2 fans out in more expansive ways which are sometimes to the detriment of it.

Cinty is bang on about the side quests, and the incredible world building. To throw you in to the citadel and have you just need to unpick why everyone doesn't want a human Spectre is brave.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I’m currently comparing my first play through of ME1 in 14 years versus my memory of Mass Effect 2 so it’s probably not a fair comparison but until I play 2 again, it stands. I’ve only played them all through once and I’m likely to only play this version through once again. And to be clear Cinty, I’m not saying ME1 is something to endure, I’m just looking forward more to the sequel. Who knows by the end of all three games, which will now be played more closely together, I may reappraise the games, as it stand ME2 has the best memories for me.
  • The DF has dropped

• b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Let’s see if I’ve bought the right version.
    Spoiler:
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Just watched it. The characters look a lot nicer. Some of the environment lighting looks a bit unfaithful to the original in places to the point where in the side-by-sides I was kinda wishing the remasters looked more like the Xbox 360 version.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!