Book 'Em Danno! Reading Record 2021
  • 15. The Trouble With Peace (Joe Abercrombie)
    Re-read of the second in the Age of Madness trilogy, set around 30 years after the end of The Blade Itself trilogy. Just utterly brilliant gritty fantasy. Laugh out loud at times, chock full of fantastic characters and with an overarching plot spiralling towards utter carnage at all times this is one of my favourites from one of my favourite authors.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • 16. Saga of the Swamp Thing vol 1 (Alan Moore)
    Haven't read this for decades it feels like and it's still pretty much peerless in terms of storytelling, mood and art. Brilliant stuff.

17. Foe (Ian Reid)
    Not as good as I'm Thinking of Ending Things, but a great read full of what appears now to be his trademark atmosphere of tension and 'offness'. I really enjoyed it and it's meditations on relationships, personality and what makes us human.

18. Doom Patrol vol 2 (Gerard Way)
    Excellent art and Way paying tribute to and following up where the legendary Grant Morrison run left off. The world's strangest superheroes try to figure out how what they are for, deal with the return of Mr Nobody and stop the end of all existence from happening at the hands of a cancelled and embittered former comic book hero. Features psychic werewolves, interspecies cat sex and tap dancing.

• Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    In agreement with regards to Foe. Reid’s a writer I’ll be reading everything from in the future. I enjoy books that give the reader the space to try and interpret what’s really going on. Other books of a similar nature that I’d recommend are Fever Dream by Samanta Schweblin and Piranesi by Susanna Clarke.
    Get schwifty.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    36.  The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman.  He’s a nash tresh, but this particular book of Gaiman’s didn’t really work for me.  To begin with I wasn’t entirely sure what age group the novel was aimed at.  The framing device is a fifty something man returning to his childhood home and reflecting back on something that happened to him when he was seven years old.  But the way the story is told, with very simple prose, it often felt like it was the seven year old telling the story rather than the adult.  Also, I don’t know if I’m only just noticing this now and he writes like this across all his books, or it’s something he did in just this one, but he hardly uses contractions.  It got to the point where I was actively keeping an eye out for one.  I did find one eventually, but in using them so sparingly I thought made the prose a little stilted from time to time, and only compounded the feeling that it was written for a younger audience.

It isn’t written for a younger audience, and Gaiman confirms that in a transcribed interview at the end of the book.  But as he reveals in the acknowledgments, he mined his childhood significantly during the creation of the story.  At one point he thanks his sister for sending ‘memory jogger’ photographs, and laments not getting a picture of the greenhouse sooner, because he would’ve loved to have included it in the story.  This is telling, because the story to me feels baggy and unfocused in its first three quarters.  It’s as if his attention was more on his childhood nostalgia than it was on cooking up a cohesive and engaging story.  I liked the final quarter of the book quite a bit more than what had come before it, but it wasn’t really enough to save it.  I didn’t dislike the book, but ultimately I didn’t really like it all that much either.
    Get schwifty.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    37.  Emergency Skin by N. K. Jemisin.  This one probably only just about qualifies as a novella.  It’s a science fiction story about a soldier landing on a planet called Tellus with a mission to retrieve some cell cultures from a supposed inferior progenitor race of his own people.  What’s unique about the story is that most of narrative is conveyed through an AI speaking into the soldier’s ear, with rare interjections from the people he meets on Tellus.  Along the way it comments on sexism, racism, fascism, and even a little environmentalism.  It’s not super deep—it’s just too short for that—and it’s pretty wacky, but I enjoyed it.  Jemisin writes well.  I can see myself reading more from her.

It’s currently free to read with Prime Reading.
    Get schwifty.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Roadside Picnic by Arkady and Boris Strugadsky

Read this after watching Stalker. An interesting novella and easy to read - far less ponderous than the Tarkovsky film (which is hardly surprising - the film has a very loose association) with an uplifting ending (if I understand it that is!!).
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    38.  Stone of Farewell: book two of Memory, Sorrow and Thorn by Tad Williams.  All the issues I had with the first book are here repeated.  While I was reading this one I was reminded of Gene Wolfe’s Book of the New Sun, not because they are similar, but because of how opposite they are.  I mean they’re both four book fantasy epics, so they have that in common at least.  But each of Wolfe’s books are less than half as long and achieve more than twice has much as Williams’ tomes so far.  There might be a half decent story in there somewhere, but every scene is bloated and fatty.  If books were cakes and The Book of the New Sun was a thin slice of rich Christmas pudding drizzled in brandy sauce, then Memory, Sorrow and Thorn is a sponge the size of a VW Beetle, plain and unadorned.  It’s dry and bland and it’s gonna take forever to finish.  I will finish it, though, more out of sheer bloody-mindedness than anything else.
    Get schwifty.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    39.  Tehanu by Ursula Le Guin.  Tehanu is the fourth and final book in Le Guin’s Earthsea quartet.  I’ve read one of these each summer over the last few years and I’m a little bit sad it’s come to an end now.  Great books, all of them.  Tehanu is probably my least favourite of them all, jettisoning the strangeness of the previous stories for something more akin to a domestic drama.  There’s something melancholic, something meditative about it, as old characters from previous tales are drawn together, now old, to consider their lot.  I really, really liked it, and this was the right way to go, I’m certain, but I sure did miss hopping in a little sailboat and charting a course across Le Guin’s wonderfully realised Archipelago.  I highly recommend the entire series.
    Get schwifty.
  • 19. Doom Patrol vol 3: Weight of the Worlds (Gerard Way)
    A bit of a drop off from vol 2, at times feeling very aimless and unstructured and being weird for the sake of it rather than to service the characters or plot. Disappointing

20. Undiscovered Country vol 1&2 (Scott Snyder)
    Picked up the second volume for my birthday so went back and read the first before getting into that. Enjoyed v1 far more second time around and the 2nd volume is just as good. Some fantastically imaginative concepts and art design coupled with some great storytelling and plot. Can't wait for the next edition.

• Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    40.  The Rain Dancers by Greg F. Gifune.  This one is mostly really good.  A couple in their early forties are clearing out the house of the wife’s father, who passed away a couple of years ago, so they can put the place up for sale.  Then a man in his early seventies shows up on a stormy night, claiming to be an old family friend, only the wife doesn’t recognise him at all.  What starts out as a slightly embarrassing situation soon turns weird and then straight onto menacing.  It’s almost like a play, with almost the entire novel taking place in the kitchen of the old, isolated house.  For a good while I was reminded of Iain Reid’s I’m Thinking of Ending Things, but personally I think Gifune fumbles the ending.  Still enjoyed it, though.
    Get schwifty.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    41.  The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov.  Well that was entertaining!  It’s like Alice in Wonderland for grownups.  I was wrong-footed from the off, as at first I thought this was going to be a contemplative, philosophical tale, but after the first part of the story-within-a-story between Pontius Pilate and Yeshua the absurdities start to pile up.  It’s great, and you can never tell what on earth will happen next.  I also thought it was quite unusual in that it doesn’t have a protagonist at all, just a big old melting pot of characters moving in and out of this crazy story.  This is not a book I’m likely to forget in a hurry, so thanks to @davy for recommending it.
    Get schwifty.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Loving the rate at which you get through books Raiz, but not as much as I love your avatar. Best on the forum in my humble opinion
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Oh my.  Cheers, Sparkles.  :)
    Get schwifty.
  • Yeah, previous one was fantastic too.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    42. To Green Angel Tower Part One, book three of Memory, Sorrow and Thorn by Tad Williams. No comment.
    Get schwifty.
  • Currently reading La Brava by Elmore Leonard. Read this many years ago, but I can't remember it all that well. I'm really enjoying it. Leonard had such a brilliant way of capturing the way people speak, and the plot twists and turns in many pleasing ways. Going to continue my Discworld project afterwards, with The Light Fantastic!
    "Given how long it's taken for me to reconcile my nature, I can't figure I'd forgo it on your account."
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Raiziel wrote:
    No comment.

Bad?
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    acemuzzy wrote:
    Raiziel wrote:
    No comment.

Bad?

Yeah. There’s nothing I can say about this one that I haven’t already said about the other two. It’s my own stupid fault for plodding on with the series. Only one more to go.
    Get schwifty.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Reading some Charles Bukowski poetry.   What a character.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • 21. Use of Weapons (Iain M Banks)
    Superb stuff. Effortlessly brilliant from beginning to end and even though the structure would likely have stumped a lesser writer it's so well done here that I didn't even really notice how clever it was until I'd finished it. The only criticism I have is that there aren't more books in the Culture series with even some of these characters in them.
  • It’s a great book. Have you read Surface Detail?
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Not yet, I'm working my way through them all. It's Excession next sand State of the Art
  • davyK wrote:
    Reading some Charles Bukowski poetry.   What a character.
    He was great. 

Finished LaBrava by Elmore Leonard last night. Brilliant and thrilling twists and turns. Leonard has a particular knack for capturing authentic dialogue and his plots are expertly constructed. Loved it. 

Going to be starting on the audio book for Terry Pratchett's The Light Fantastic next!
    "Given how long it's taken for me to reconcile my nature, I can't figure I'd forgo it on your account."
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    43.  The Inverted World by Christopher Priest.  My favourite book of the year so far.  The creativity on display in this science fiction story is absolutely incredible.  It’s about a city forever grinding north on a railroad track that is ceaselessly picked up by the inhabitants once it has been driven over and then laid down again in front of the city.  But it’s why this is happening that truly drives to story onwards, and the why is a doozie.  I love high strangeness in my fiction, and here is a story that has it in spades.  To say any more would be to ruin the mystery.  In fact, if anyone is tempted to give it a whirl I would recommend skipping the introduction, which gives away a not inconsiderable nugget of information about the nature of the world, something I would have preferred to find out during the natural course of the narrative.  I highly, highly recommend this to anyone who likes sci-fi paired with startling originality.
    Get schwifty.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Yoooo that's my shit that book! It's his first demo of doing something mental. I still think the Prestige is better, but the ending of Inverted World is sure something.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Haven't read it since I was in my early 20s, but it did a number on me
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Mad props to Raiz for basically spending every waking hour in a book.

I've been reading American Pastoral for about three months.
  • Mad props to Raiz for basically spending every waking hour in a book. I've been reading American Pastoral for about three months.

I’ve been reading Sense and Sensibility for about 5 months.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Haha.  I do about two hours a day when I can; half an hour in the morning and the rest in the evening.  I do a little bit more at the weekends, especially if it’s sunny and I can sit in the garden.  I also fit in an hour of an audiobook when I exercise.
    Get schwifty.
  • Three Body Problem by Cixin Liu (translated by Ken Liu).

One of the best science fiction stories I have read for a long, long time. Its a rare experience to realise you are reading a classic without knowing anything about it before opening the book. Thought provoking, unusual, relevant, I am woefully unable to do this book justice but if you enjoy true science fiction, it’s frankly a must-read. I need to get cracking on the two sequels now to complete the trilogy.

That was awkward and unsettling, never post anything like it again.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!