Retro Gaming
  • Yes as standard that supports JP21 and you need a EU scart converter as you say.
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • F-Zero GX was so fucking good, it still looks absolutely fantastic too -

• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Aye. That difficulty though. It was just that bit too hard. I have yet to unlock the arcade cup.

I still love F-Zero X. I prefer its feel even if GX is a "better" game.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • X is the pinnacle for me too, same reasons as Davy.

X wasn't an easy game but GX was ridiculous.

Looked incredible though.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • So I got my Super NT, its pretty spectacular and is just as good as all the YouTube videos say.

If its anything to go by I'd say anything else from Analogue is the real deal, quality stuff.

In other news I just preordered an N64Digital from 8Bit mods for £180. That's only for the chip itself, still need to pick up a second NTSC console and send it off to be soldered by a professional.

Confident I can sell my current RGB modded console and Super 64 HDMI adapter for a decent enough price to offset the cost enough to make the net outgoings reasonable.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    I still love F-Zero X. I prefer its feel even if GX is a "better" game.

I'd find it difficult to pick a favourite, but I'd probably go with GX, if only because I was lucky enough to find an AX cabinet and used it to unlock some tracks and vehicles on the home version. Felt like wizardry back in the day. Basically just on the disc "DL"C, though. But as others have mentioned, yeah, it was way too hard.

Sadly, despite me having bought every version of F Zero that came out for the Wii U VC, Nintendo don't seem to have got the hint.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Unlocking those arcade tracks without using the arcade machine is murderously hard. You have to start clearing cups in master mode. It took me an age to unlock the Diamond Cup. I have still to beat some cups on Expert. Madness.

It may be that creating a custom car is the best way to get the results but that isn't a rabbit hole I have done down to any depth.

Such a pity Sega didn't implement LAN mode with GX - would have been the icing on the cake. The arcade machine had link code so it wouldn't have been a massive effort to add that.
  • So that explains why the old Sonic All Stars Racing games are so difficult.
    I mean I unlocked all the cups on mario kart snes and finished rainbow road so that Sega Kart thingy should be easy?

But, nooooo.......
    They had to continue that insane F-zero GX dificulty tradition.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    Such a pity Sega didn't implement LAN mode with GX - would have been the icing on the cake. The arcade machine had link code so it wouldn't have been a massive effort to add that.

Sadly, I think the audience would have been very small. Probably not worth SEGA's time, even with the similarities between the GameCube and Triforce board.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Aye. Would have been great mind - folk have GCs with the BB adaptor running MK-DD in LAN mode over the internet now.

It was under-used - Phantasy Star Online was online for a while but LAN mode was implemented in only two other games - 1080 and Kirby Air Ride. :(

• Pyron strikes again: Saturn Castlevania SotN, now with real transparencies.
    Console rom modders doing what Sega couldn't.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    hunk wrote:
    Console rom modders doing what Sega couldn't.

God bless the internet.
  • Sega Lord X has a Genesis top 10 up. Good fun, his stuff feels like revisiting a favourite movie while wearing comfortable slippers. His choices are all wrong though, obviously.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The Contra collection on Switch looks a doozy. Didn't know MD got one. Looked OK but not as splendid as the SNES one. Pity they didn't throw in the WiiWare Rebirth game which was wonderful.

I like this guy.

• I've been tempted to do a MD Konami month in the retro club thread, if there's interest. Been itching to play Probotector recently and there are a few other games I'd fancy.
  • Coming at the series late it's pretty close between Castlevania IV and Bloodlines for me, IV only just edged it when I played them both a couple of years ago.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Just watched that F-Zero video. Great stuff. Has me twitching to play it again on all 3 consoles.
  • The guy in the vid is biased and wrong. Contra on the MD is worthy and rivals the SNES version and then some. The JP rom (or a patched one) is the way to go.

I love Capcom but for me Konami were the best publishers of the 16-bit era. Their output on SNES, pc-engine and MD was top notch and unrivalled. Shame they've lost focus in recent times.
  • Yeah Konami were easily one of the best in the 8/16-Bit days, and the early PlayStation eras tbf.

The Contra and Castlevania Collections are well worth picking up for retro heads, great selection of games with multiple region roms and some extras on top.

They're are often in sales though, so maybe play it patient.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Konami didn't put a foot wrong on SNES. They made the console worth having and they played to its strengths as well as Nintendo did.

@hunk As for that video bias - MD/SNES. Never the 'twain.  :)

I need to watch for the Castlevania and Contra collections in a sale. I fancy trying Bloodlines for myself for comparison against IV which I love.
  • Bloodlines is excellent, only real negative is its quite short. Although it does have two characters to play as which helps a little.

Rondo is probably the best of the linear CV's, and unfortunately it's not on the collection.

Still, 3 great consoles each with an exclusive CV all in the same gen, good times. Even the unreservedly criticised Dracula X/Vampires Kiss on SNES is a good game imo.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    My MD experience is relatively limited. I only got into collecting for it later on and the games I'm interested in on it (shmups) are bonkers prices now. But I'm open to checking out the Konami library - still don't know a lot about the MD library.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Playing some Manx TT on Saturn last night.  It's a great old game this and it's buttery smooth on the old Saturn, especially with the 3D pad.  It's also the only game I like playing in 1st person view.
  • I borrowed it once and enjoyed it, but it was definitely in the glad I didn't pay for it zone.  I'd borrowed the Megadrive version of Virtua Racing off the same kid a few years earlier.  £115 is a lot of pocket money for five tracks.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Heh. I paid £50 for it in 1992-3.

I was working and single. Even though the game is short I got value out of it. I used to piss that amount up the wall on a Friday night.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Buster busts loose
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    £115 is a lot of pocket money for five tracks.

Woh, wait... Virtua Racing on Mega Drive was over a hundred quid? Crumbs. No wonder my rich mate was so keen to show it off when we were in secondary school.
  • I was adding Manx TT and VR together there, sorry. VR was £69.99 iirc (and only had three tracks).
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    yeah - Manx TT on Saturn has 2 tracks, each of which share one stretch. Even less content than the Sega Rally port.

Mirror and reverse are selectable from the off in the Saturn port - in admittance of the paltry amount of content for a full price game. It's a far more enjoyable proposition now since it can be bought for buttons (if you insist, like me, to play original games on old hardware) and a splendid time trial game due to the track design and control. The rubber banding is outrageous in the race modes, but then it is an arcade port.

£70 in 1994 is £142 today.
    £50 for a SNES game in 1994 is £100 today. Sheesh.  I paid £140 last year for my CIB copy of N64 Bangai O - but I sold 3 PAL games to fund it.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!