Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Fucker never shows up when you need him.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Well that's Windows 11 installed on the Surface Pro. Installed quickly and with no issues. Looks nice, runs smoothly. Initially it seems quite similar but there are some things that will take a bit of getting used to. The chat thing is total rubbish and was immediately disabled. Likewise I can't see Widgets staying on the taskbar for too long, at least unless it gives me some obvious way to customise it. Googling says it can be done but I can't find the option
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Yeah so the new Chat thing is total garbage. In spite of MS owning Skype, this thing only works with others who have Teams. And not the Teams we've been using for work all this time. You have to have a personal Teams, which is different. Then you have to try and invite people to use Teams (but making clear it isn't work related and not on that account). To which they'll probably say Can we not just use Whatsapp or Skype? What a fucking mess.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Also, the Widgets panel would be good but you can't remove MSN, so you have to look at all their shitty "news". No matter how you try and configure it, you'll get all the news you don't want.
  • Thread staying "Windows 10" then.  Fuck that nonsense.
  • Widgets were the thing that interested me most (that plays it up quite a bit, most of a nit very interesting offering).
    Sound like the implementation is shit though. The whole joy of widgets is streamlining apps into immediately available tools that don't burden the hardware with unnecessary guff.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Unlikely wrote:
    Thread staying "Windows 10" then.  Fuck that nonsense.

"Windows 10 and that other newer one which looks pretty but doesn't sound quite ready yet".

Best thread title.

BEST.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Can we rank the windows????

1. Windows 10
    2. Windows 7
    3. Windows XP
    4. Windows Vista
    5. Windows 8

Cant say any others. The first one I remember really using was XP - it were great. Vista always worked fine for me but I'm not a power user. I know a lot of people love 7 but I really found 10 has worked so well so it edges it. Windows 8 I wanted to like (god knows why, M$ whore in me I suppose) but it never worked as intended either as a touch screen interface or a desktop.
    SFV - reddave360
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Windows 95 was good. 3.1 was the first I used.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I think I went from 3.1, 95, XP, 7 then 10. No experience of the others.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    10 has been the best so far. I remain hopeful for 11.
  • I would happily still be on 7.  Stable and well organised without all the snooping that 10 added.

I remember using 3.1 at University but before that I was using Workbench on my Amiga.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    I don't think I could put the Windows versions into any sort of meaningful list. It's only really 10 that I've used extensively, before that I was a Mac guy. (I used Boot Camp to get XP and 7 on my old MacBook Pro.) I did have 98 on my computer at uni, and my dad had 95 and 3.1 when I was a kid, but I don't remember enough about them to rate their quality. I mean, I was a kid - Windows 3.1 could have been total dog shit and I still would've thought it was magic.

Unlikely wrote:
    I would happily still be on 7.

Seconded.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    1 — 95
    2 — 2000 Pro
    3 — 98 SE
    4 — 3.11
    5 — 7
    6 — XP
    7 — Vista
    8 — ME
    9 — 8.1
    10 — 10
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Mine goes up to 11.
  • Kow wrote:
    Mine goes up to 11.

How is it working so far now youve had a few days? The widget/ teams thing didnt sound like a pronising start as these were 2 of the big new things MS promoted.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Works fine really. The Teams chat thing was never going to be revolutionary anyway. Widgets is basically just the tiles that used to be on the start menu, with weather etc. I'd be perfectly happy with it if I could turn off the news feed, which is awful. So far the rest seems to be mostly aesthetic stuff and it looks nice enough. I'm sure there's plenty going on under the hood but I haven't run into either a problem or something spectacularly useful.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    The Teams chat thing would have been useful if they had let it just communicate with Skype out of the box. As it is, it's pointless until everybody you know is using a personal account on Teams, which will never happen.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I think I went from 3.1, 95, XP, 7 then 10. No experience of the others.

That was my path. I remember reading that XP was the first proper OS they did with the architecture and kernel designed by the guy who designed DEC VAX mainframes OS. Think the same guy was involved with early versions of NT.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Escape wrote:
    1 — 95 2 — 2000 Pro 3 — 98 SE 4 — 3.11 5 — 7 6 — XP 7 — Vista 8 — ME 9 — 8.1 10 — 10

Hold the phone, ME, the only version of Windows named after a debilitating brain disease and with good reason above 10?
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    You could reinstall ME before 10's completed one of its unauthorised yearly updates. Turning me off to go to bed, is it? WELL FUCK YOU, BUDDY!

It's a hateful OS that slows my PC to a crawl when it does stuff I haven't told it to in the background, and even takes twice as long as ME to boot. And it's bloated and wants to harvest my data for marketing bollocks I don't care about. Worst Windows.
  • I did a Windows update on 10 a couple of days ago. For the minute it took to do I checked the forum on my phone.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    We named our meeting rooms after Windows OS versions.  We had no numbering system to identifying them for booking (was a really old building) and I ran a poll among the staff.

One of the rooms was always called the XP room because it was used for application testing when we went to XP and the name stuck. So it kind of made sense to go with Vista, Millenium for the others.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Escape wrote:
    It's a hateful OS that slows my PC to a crawl when it does stuff I haven't told it to in the background, and even takes twice as long as ME to boot. And it's bloated and wants to harvest my data for marketing bollocks I don't care about. Worst Windows.

Something's fucked up there, because Windows 10 is one of the reasons I switched back from Mac. Literally the exact opposite experience I've had with W10.
  • Blue Swirl wrote:
    Escape wrote:

Something's fucked up there, because Windows 10 is one of the reasons I switched back from Mac. Literally the exact opposite experience I've had with W10.

I find w10 very nippy and easy to use but im running it on a fairly decent dell xps. My wife has a more basic laptop and it can be a bit chuggy. Also if you arent on top of updates and using your pc a lot, they can build up and be a nightmare (again, wife doesnt use her laptop a lot and when she does she usually has to update a few things)
    SFV - reddave360
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    W10 is grand.

My home PC does a big grind of the hard drive when I power up and I cannot find the reason for it. It's like it's making a copy of some files after power up. Once that stops though it's fine - I think it's to do with how something is configured.   My work laptop runs great.

However if anyone is using a dev suite like Visual Studio or the Android Studio a solid state drive is strongly recommended.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I have windows 10 on an M.3 ssd and it takes less than 20 seconds from pressing the on button to looking at a webpage. I really can't fault W10, it hasn't given me a single issue I can think of. Haven't seen a BSOD in literally years.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I've just timed mine, 12 seconds from pressing the on button to having the browser open and working.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!