Just given up on...
  • Gameplay was just sub par. If I'm honest I've never liked any of Tim Schafer's games.
  • Code Vein. Turns out an animé version of Dark Souls with terrible voice acting isn't that good.

EDIT: I realised you could switch the voice acting to Japanese. I'm going to persist with it for now...
  • 2022 is the year I've decided to give up on.... gaming in general.  I won't be buying any new games or consoles going forward.

It's been coming for a long time.  I burned out in 2005 and had several years without a console.  I never stopped reading up on games and slowly the desire came back, resulting in me buying a PS4 in 2015.  I bought a number of games for it but never gave any of them more than a few hours, so it got sold in 2018.

This year I bought a Series X after falling for the idea of Game Pass.  I spent over £500 on the machine and 6 months GP and..... never gave any game more than a few hours before it expired in December.  If it weren't for my Son being obsessed with Fortnite, I'd be selling it now.

I've had a Switch since May 2017 and I have loads of games for it.  I've restarted BoTW several times and to date have not beaten a single Divine Beast.  After spending several months looking forward to it, I bought Metroid Dread full price in October and.... you guessed it, I've not put more than a couple of hours into it.

I think there comes a point where you simply admit your time is passed.  I've made peace with it.

x
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I've ebbed and flowed. You may find your mojo returns at some future point. You gotta find what works for you though - and if that's "nothing", then funding your peace is a good thing to have managed!
  • I'm of the age now where I've realised that it's a very particular type of game that will keep me engaged for more than a couple of hours, and they are very, very few and far between, but they do exist still. The trick is finding them in a sea of garbage. That keeps me interested in games and this place and the occasional podcast. Games are seasonal for me now - once April comes around they pretty much get binned altogether for more outdoor pursuits until the shit weather and darkness returns.

When I take a break from the forum, I notice my game time goes way down too. It's almost nicer to talk about games than play them these days...
  • Christ knows what's happened to me, I've gone the other way completely. I guess partly to do with how many hours I spend commuting + how little work I actually do before heading home these days, but it's mostly down to how much I like modern indie games really. Hope you get your mojo back if you ever want it Kris.
  • Games like Death Stranding and Cyberpunk 2077 are what keep me interested, that level of immersion I just can't get from film or TV. Certain points of Cyberpunk were such an adrenaline rush it was something I'd never really experienced in a game before, like I was living this batshit insane life which I think is due to the fact it was almost entirely in first person. I'm really excited for the future of VR and the level of immersion possible!
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Try Dying Light before the sequel comes out, highly immersive and atmospheric. Should be cheap as chips by now
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Platinum edition 70% off (£14) in the current Xbox sale
  • I've never played it does it hold up??
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    It's got a next gen patch expected soon, I reckon it will hold up with that, yes. I'm thinking of buying it in anticipation...
  • Ooh I might bite. When's the sequel out I thought it got delayed??
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Yeah it's not too far off I don't think... so could be worth just waiting for that, hard to say
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Early Feb for the sequel. Been playing it again recently, holds up very well
  • I might just wait for the sequel. I doubt I'll even get a chance to start it lol.
  • Chorus

This is a bit frustrating.  REALLY impressed with the opening half hour or so.  Your ship is really intuitive and versatile to control.  It can go fast over vast spaces, it can stop dead if you need it to.  Dog fighting is satisfying.  

Unfortunately I've come across a couple of missions where you have to find an object.  You hold down X for a second and then it's location is pointed out to you.  But only for a few moments, and it's only vaguely.  Like the object will be close to a coral-shaped asteroid, and you have to look all around the asteroid to find it.  

It doesn't sound that hard but I can't fucking work it out!  I just spent half an hour pottering around an asteroid.  I can't find shit.  This is like the 2nd easiest search in the game, I'll be buggered when the harder ones come up.  I would push on if the objective markers didn't disappear after a couple of seconds and they pointed out exactly what I'm looking for.
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose
  • I gave up on it further on. Realised because of the above and a few other things I just wasn’t having any…fun.
  • Sekiro. I might go back to it and have one of those moments of clarity where I hand Genichiro Ashin his lightning arse but I'm just not good enough after 8 hours trying to beat him, and honestly I've got better things to do with my time than offer sacrifice to the gods of false fucking difficultly. I'd be raging if I had paid £40 for this and reach such a road block. I know others love it in here, but it's too much hard work.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    IT'S NOT ABOUT HAVING FUN
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Spoiler:
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Have either of you considered gitting gud?
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    Spoiler:
    I'm too old.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    Spoiler:

Git gud.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Have either of you considered gitting gud?

Hah my thoughts re Muzzy.  Rev gets a pass, though,.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Thanks Elf.
  • Deathloop. You would think a game where the core mechanic is shooting things that they would have mailed the core mechanic. Everything feels floaty. There's no weight to the guns. The enemies have shit AI. It's bright and garish and like the part what a total disappointment to play.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Yup. Over hyped crap.
  • The gun play is worse than Fornite. Couldn't progress in the first area because an enemy got stuck in the scenery and my bullets wouldn't kill it. Shambles
  • Earthworm Jim 2

This starts off fantastic, I love how it mixes up everything each stage.  Like it starts off as a normal platformer/shooter, then you're shooting up a level made out of dirt to tunnel your way to the end, then you're bouncing puppies into a funnel (!), then you have a level where you're floating and you can't touch the edges, then you've got a quiz.  Then fuck me you've got the shittiest isometric shooter level, and a puppy bouncing level that's way too hard, then a shocker where you have to carry a cow while a UFO tries to take it off you.  That UFO level is just the worst.  Tedious with too many shit obstacles.  I can't believe how quick it went from 'this is awesome!' to 'bugger this!'. 

Triangle Strategy

I'll come back to this; it's too good looking and the battles seem to be pretty bloody good.

Christ the dialogue though.  Everyone just banging on about shit.  I can't remember who anyone is and I can't concentrate and diplomats talking about trading salt or whatever.  As good as the graphics are they do not make for good cutscenes where you're just looking at people from an isometric perspective.  The dialogue is very dry and expositiony and it is not delivered well.  

I tried skipping the cutscenes but there are bits where you have to talk to NPCs to get bonuses in battle.  I'll come back later when I'm in a more laid back mood but it's just too boring at the moment.  Very frustrating, like if it had brief or interesting cutscenes I'd probably be doing a glowing 9/10 - 10/10 review in the 52 games thread by now!
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!