Just completed
  • The shooting is kind of secondary it’s more about the puzzles and the story imo ofc.

Like cod for instance is all about the combat

In Metroid and half life the shooting is secondary to the puzzles and exploring and the experience
    The Forum Herald™
  • I'd agree with this more for Metroid Prime but I don't think I'd apply it to Half Life. I think Half Life has way more shooting than exploration and puzzles.
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    My memory of Half Life 2 is very different to yours. I remember linear levels that were pretty much all based around shooting with the odd puzzle chucked in here and there and lots of being locked in rooms to listen to exposition.

I’ve not played Metroid Prime, but I can imagine based on the 2D versions of the game that exploring is a large part of the game, I could see why that might be described differently, but Half Life 2 was absolutely an FPS AFAIC.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    My memory of Half Life 2 is very different to yours. I remember linear levels that were pretty much all based around shooting with the odd puzzle chucked in here and there and lots of being locked in rooms to listen to exposition.

I’ve not played Metroid Prime, but I can imagine based on the 2D versions of the game that exploring is a large part of the game, I could see why that might be described differently, but Half Life 2 was absolutely an FPS AFAIC.

You’re possibly forgetting the gravity gun?
    The Forum Herald™
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    No. Why would that make a difference?
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Oh god I'm team Bob and team ram please send help
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    i don't think you can be cos Bob is saying half life2 isn't an FPS, and i'm agreeing with Yoss that yes it is, and also it (like most FPS) are over rated. ;)
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • of course you might have meant you agree with me and Yoss....and being in agreement with Yoss or Bob is always an icky situation ;)
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    Meh, it’s alright, it’s just not as good as people claim.
    applies to pretty much all FPS's IMO. ;)

I more meant this bit, in terms of agreeing with you.  I'm OK with FPAs...
  • Just completed picross S4 all 450 fricking levels with no assists.

Never again!
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Somerville. The rarest of things in this day and age - an actual full turd. Not fit rim Inside's backside. Genuinely atrocious and I trust Jon knows he was being generous with his scathing review. It's baffling how awful this is; I don't think I've ever wanted such a short game to end quicker. No idea what the actual fuck some of the positive reviews are on about. Easily the worst game I've played for a long time, and let's be honest my quality control is on the lax side at the best of times so hopefully that speaks volumes. AVOID.

I was thinking I might give it a go after seeing more positive reviews but you've probably saved me the effort. I went back to read the Polygon review again and there's a section that says (paraphrasing) 'first playthough allows you to work out the kinks and catches' which seems like a generous way of summarising a bunch of Jon's points.

'It's good but you've got to play it through at least twice' is the same as 'it's good TV but you have to get through the first two shit seasons first'. Both can get in the bin.
  • 'Half Life 2 isn't an FPS' - we really do live in a post truth society now ;)
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Can we find a new game to slap Yoss with? I'm sure he's long since played a lot of critically acclaimed shit he hates. Maybe he hates Bloodborne? Has anyone asked him if he hates Bloodborne? Of course you haven't. He's the Hates HL2 Guy.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Never played Bloodborne.

Breath of the Wild. Go nuts.
  • It's actually called Let's Go Nuts and you leave it alone.
  • Cos wrote:
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Somerville. The rarest of things in this day and age - an actual full turd. Not fit rim Inside's backside. Genuinely atrocious and I trust Jon knows he was being generous with his scathing review. It's baffling how awful this is; I don't think I've ever wanted such a short game to end quicker. No idea what the actual fuck some of the positive reviews are on about. Easily the worst game I've played for a long time, and let's be honest my quality control is on the lax side at the best of times so hopefully that speaks volumes. AVOID.
    I was thinking I might give it a go after seeing more positive reviews but you've probably saved me the effort. I went back to read the Polygon review again and there's a section that says (paraphrasing) 'first playthough allows you to work out the kinks and catches' which seems like a generous way of summarising a bunch of Jon's points. 'It's good but you've got to play it through at least twice' is the same as 'it's good TV but you have to get through the first two shit seasons first'. Both can get in the bin.

Full thoughts here.  I think you've made a wise decision.
  • It was never in doubt, but I started Inside again just to be sure and it's still up there with the goats.
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    i don't think you can be cos Bob is saying half life2 isn't an FPS, and i'm agreeing with Yoss that yes it is, and also it (like most FPS) are over rated. ;)

I’m not saying it’s not a shooter but it’s not a shooter shooter if that makes sense
    The Forum Herald™
  • It does make sense.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    It does make sense.

Thanks elf
    The Forum Herald™
  • Bob wrote:
    The shooting is kind of secondary it’s more about the puzzles and the story imo ofc.

Like cod for instance is all about the combat

In Metroid and half life the shooting is secondary to the puzzles and exploring and the experience

I'd say there are a few more degrees too.

Pure shooting: Doom
    Military/non sim shooting: CoD
    Tactical shooting: SWAT (not personally played)
    Exploration: Metroid Prime
    RPG: Deus Ex
    Open world: Far Cry

Half Life 2 sits somewhere on the spectrum between Metroid and Deus Ex in my mind.

You also have shooters that aren't shooting such as Portal.

In my view though, it's not a big deal to try and define it as it is to acknowledge there is a lot of variety and quality to explore.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Breath of the Wild.

You don't like Breath of the Wild?
    Do you like other Zeldas?
    What didn't you like?
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    In the last couple of days...

Resident Evil Village (PC)
    Xenoblade Chronicles 3 (Switch)

Both are rather excellent. Both suffer, in places, from OTT story telling and a desire to stick with existing formulae of their respective genres and series. They aren't as good as their predecessors, and I feel the internet at large will therefore label them 'shit'. (See also: Resident Evil 5 and 4.) Both are far from it.

Resident Evil Village [8]
    Xenoblade Chronicles 3 [9]
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Just finished Dishonoured 2 as Emily - really enjoyed it. It's creaking slightly around the edges, bit with such a great art style it doesn't matter that much.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    As Dusk Falls (SeX)

Feels like my first completion in ages. But I thought it was pretty great. I'm not really a fan of walking sims, but this wasn't really that - more choose your own adventure, narrative heavy, only brief qte / point n click bits.

But crucially I guess I involved they story, and how it played at through the six chapters. And my choices for once seemed to actually affect things.

I'm interested in how different things might have gone, but don't want to taint things by going back to find out. I've enjoyed my story. Hopefully others enjoyed theirs.

It's a very solid [8] imo. Can't really justify going higher, but worth a play, particularly those with gamepass.
    Spoiler:
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    As Dusk Falls spoilers:
    Spoiler:
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • I played about 5hrs with the wife. Drifted away but enjoyed it. Will go back.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    EvilRedEye wrote:
    As Dusk Falls spoilers:
    Spoiler:

Ah right. Thanks. Didn't really feel like
    Spoiler:
    , but maybe makes sense. I think I'd rather they did suffering different though.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Splatoon 2: Octo Expansion

Really good, creative stuff. I think Splatoon single-player campaigns are the most underrated content that Nintendo put out. I don't really like the system of paying big chunks of in-game money to access levels (if you run out of lives you have to pay the fee again, so it can rack up). Makes things stressy and unpleasant for me. But generally brill. [8]
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I played about 5hrs with the wife. Drifted away but enjoyed it. Will go back.

Lucky lady. You must be exhausted
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!