adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Immortality (Xbox Series X) - This is a hugely ambitious FMV game, perhaps the most ambitious ever. But I have to be honest, the narrative didn’t really work for me. Initially I was wowed - the production values are really high, the concordance function seemed a significantly more technically impressive way of navigating the videos than Sam Barlow’s previous games and the over-arching story seemed intriguing.

But I think ultimately the whole concordance thing is a bit of an artifice with no connection to reality, unlike the search function from Sam Barlow’s previous games - it doesn’t feel like a real investigation, more that trial and error and RNG are uncovering new clips for you. I’m not sure I would describe the narrative as actually good, more that it’s told in such an obfuscated and difficult way that it flatters the intelligence of the player for managing to understand it. Also, unlike the previous Sam Barlow games where you were basically funnelled through a critical path and guaranteed to have a pretty decent understanding of the narrative by the end of the game, this one is a lot looser - my playthrough wasn’t too bad by the sound of it but I would still have liked to have been required to have a more thorough knowledge of what was going on before unlocking the credits and it sounds like some people have hit the credits having essentially not meaningfully engaged with the story - I’m really not sure this is an improvement from the previous games.

Overall, a really impressive project and one that I’m glad I checked out, but not the one for me. I would still recommend having a look before it leaves Game Pass though. [7]
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    FFXVI never ask me for anything ever again

How many hours?
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    EvilRedEye wrote:
    Immortality (Xbox Series X)

If you've got time for an FMV game, you've got time for more Mega CD stuff. ;)
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Tried to play immortality on Friday, but the Amazon android download thing is the worst thing ever. Thought I had it installed, but no, another 10GB to go where it has to be on that app so you can't do anything else in the meantime...? Super.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Blue Swirl wrote:
    regmcfly wrote:
    FFXVI never ask me for anything ever again

How many hours?

67 I think, that was all hunts, all side quests, got the pimp sword, but I only did one Chronolith. Might go back one day, but see next thread I make as to why I might not.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    Blue Swirl wrote:
    How many hours?

67 I think…

That’s not too bad. If I cave and get a PS5 that’s going on the list.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Balloon Fight (NES) - Completed all the unique phases and got the top score on Balloon Trip. This is quite fun and there is genuinely some sense of mastery, although it is quite a simple game. I went from struggling to manoeuvre on the bonus stages and Balloon Trip to being quite handy at balloon popping. The key to Balloon Trip is to learn to pop all the initial pre-fixed set of balloons. Then you only have to pop a few of the randomised ones before you get a big bonus for 20 balloons in a row, plus each balloon is then worth more. Once you perfect this, you can beat the high score in only a couple of minutes. Although Balloon Trip is nice, this feels like a fairly basic arcade conversion and it doesn’t really feel like they managed to put the spirit of a console game in it. [6]
  • I always liked that one when it popped up in the NES Remix games.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I always liked that one when it popped up in the NES Remix games.

Funnily enough, it was NES Remix that inspired me to play it. I’m trying to go through all the NES Remix games so I can play it in retrospect, like someone wot had a NES back in the day.
  • 77 hours and Baldur's Gate III is done. Said plenty in the thread, but it's basically a very reactive, nuanced, and clever game with a really interesting story and a high level of polish... for the first two acts. A specific bug on a quest really messed with my game, but it was still largely fine for the most part. The actual ending is... another matter entirely. It can't live up to the weight of expectation, and it throws some duds, but it will take a while for me to process my feelings on it. It feels like a traditional instance of rail-roading the story, which is to be expected - it's a video game, it has to reach an ending, but this one is perhaps not the ending it makes you think it's leading to. Some really good twists and turns, then a mix of forced drama and one too many overarching threads to land.

Strong [8] to a light [9].
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Finally a review that lets me know it's alright to wait till the crimbo sales.
  • I do genuinely think the lustre of the first act wears off, and I think as more and more people finish it we will perhaps see some kind of consensus backlash against the ending.
  • I'm finding my enjoyment of Tunic is decreasing towards the end. The combination of limited combat, invisible enemies, damage sponge bosses and souls design (honestly one of my least favourite gameplay trends) have soured me on what was otherwise looking like a good fun adventure.

Wound up turning off damage because combat was both mechanically boring and unbalanced.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Tempy wrote:
    I do genuinely think the lustre of the first act wears off, and I think as more and more people finish it we will perhaps see some kind of consensus backlash against the ending.

Is it another ME3 shitstorm or just not as good as the rest?
  • Vela wrote:
    I'm finding my enjoyment of Tunic is decreasing towards the end. The combination of limited combat, invisible enemies, damage sponge bosses and souls design (honestly one of my least favourite gameplay trends) have soured me on what was otherwise looking like a good fun adventure. Wound up turning off damage because combat was both mechanically boring and unbalanced.

I'll never forget the best or the worst bits about that game.  Still love it though.  I put assists on for the last boss (last two bosses possibly?) and wish I'd done it for all of them really.  I didn't mind the combat in the overworld bits, but all things considered the bosses were pretty much all crap.
  • It does some great things, but it also gets lauded for things that are neither original nor good design.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I have nothing but contempt for people that used the assists in Tunic. I’m a namby-pamby ‘press A to win’ JRPG player and I managed it. The rest of you have no excuse.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    I do genuinely think the lustre of the first act wears off, and I think as more and more people finish it we will perhaps see some kind of consensus backlash against the ending.
    Is it another ME3 shitstorm or just not as good as the rest?

Not on the same level, no, but I think it will reignite discussions about how games with choices as expansive as this end. I am a little miffed at some of the choices, some were narratively smart decisions to show that sometimes there is no easy answer, or magical solution to problems - they will still upset others I think.

If you're interested, the one major sticking point I have is that - MAJOR SPOILERS AHEAD
    Spoiler:

Ultimately you have to finish a story, and I still think overall they told a good one. But you know what nerds are like, and given how invested they in things like this.
  • EvilRedEye wrote:
    I have nothing but contempt for people that used the assists in Tunic. I’m a namby-pamby ‘press A to win’ JRPG player and I managed it. The rest of you have no excuse.

The combat is functional at the start. By the third boss it is exposed for what it is; basic and tedious.
  • Cheers.
    Interesting.

In general I try not to get hung up on endings too much despite the understandable disappointment. I was kinda the same with ME3 and Game of Thrones. The more threads the more difficult it is to come up with something. Doesnt excuse completely dropping the ball of course and it can be done.
  • It's a very good game, and a very good journey, the ending was just a capstone to what I felt was a slightly disappointing third act that felt muddled and artificial in a lot of ways.
  • Yeah if the journey is good im generally happy, although the better the journey the worse a rough ending feels of course. Its why ME3 stung so much for many I think.
  • EvilRedEye wrote:
    It wasn't enjoyable. I don't think I turned assists on, though, I just stopped playing instead, and once I'd taken a break there was no way I was going to be able to remember where everything was.
  • It's your own faults for actually finishing games really. Just abandon them midway and you never have to be upset about the ending! ;)
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Let's start an angry online petition for a Tunic reboot. With a decent combat system it could've been a 10.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Let's start an angry online petition for a Tunic reboot. With a decent combat system it could've been a 10.

It WAS decent, it’s not Tunic’s fault you’re all a bunch of pussies.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    It's a very good game, and a very good journey, the ending was just a capstone to what I felt was a slightly disappointing third act that felt muddled and artificial in a lot of ways.

Star Wars Episode IX, right?

Oh, you said game. Nm.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!