adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Inside (Xbox One via Xbox Series X) - Golly gosh, this is much better than Limbo! Much improved, less spiteful gameplay and a narrative that’s actually interesting and prompts genuine discussion about its meaning instead of just ‘Ooh, I wonder who that girl we see for two seconds is???’ nonsense. Loved the ending sequence, really great stuff.

I had a dilemma about whether to give this [8] or [9]. I don’t think the mechanics warrant a [9]. There’s still some fairly trial-and-error sections - there’s nothing as ‘fuck you, player!’ as certain sections of Limbo but there are definitely bits where you get the sense the devs were quite happy for you to die a few times. I had a quick look at the Inside thread and at least one person said there was sometimes a disconnect between knowing the solution to a puzzle and how to use the mechanics to implement it and I felt that at times.

Really good - a Playdead game that is actually worth the hype. [8]
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I thought the end was silly and not what I wanted. I don't know what I wanted but it wasn't what I got.
  • Sign me up for the loved the ending brigade. Not sure what I wanted but I'm glad they took it out of my hands.
  • Cocoon done. Yeah, that was great. So tactile. So imaginative. So odd and yet so logical. I think it pushed everything exactly as far as it needed to go and stopped at the right time.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    Cocoon

It's good fun, impeccably polished, but rarely actually taxes your brain. You can tell it's from the gameplay designer behind Limbo and Inside because it's all about interacting with an interesting world in limited ways, but gosh are those interactions fun and tactile. Lots of artistry and detailing, but it's very much a pop-up book where the tabs are very evident, you just need to pull them the right way to make the enjoyable stuff happen. 

There is one specific event you repeat a few times that I wasn't a huge fan of, which is in stark contrast to the bosses who are very enjoyable to fight - I especially liked how the beat you, which is a lovely non-violent and fitting way to get punted back to the start of each fight.

Art direction and general inventiveness of each biome you travel through definitely keep it interesting, and there are a few sets of puzzles right before the end that each make use of a unique idea without properly exploring it, but the gist of that idea made me feel a little giddy. I think there was scope to make something really knotty and involved, but I respect the decision to making a game that empowers you to enjoy this alien technology.

I missed three of the optional secrets, so not sure if there is anything slightly more special right at the end as due to the nature of the game you can't go backwards to find them.

Overall it's a Strong 7/weak 8.

I'm a bit cooler on it. It's nice, good graphics, music etc but it never really made me think too hard or get stuck, the way they've designed the areas to lock you in position with everything you need kind of makes it feel a little linear. I felt like I was solving variations of how to get the fox, chicken and corn across the river the whole time.

Agree that the bosses were good, again nothing taxing but a fun little face off with a new mechanic. I know exactly what but you didn't like, it involves the white orb doesn't it? Genuinely shite those bits. Dunno how many secret thingies I missed and I don't care either.

It's left me pining for a proper eureka moment, or being stuck trying something complicated because there's something obvious that I'd missed. Instead I spent most of the game plodding through the locations not really feeling I've achieved anything and becoming a bit bored of having to run through the motions of it. Pretty much just wanted it to be over before the end, despite the fact it's a short game
  • I just completed cocoon tonight and i really liked it. Didn't even realise there was secret stuff!
    I thought it pitches things pretty spot on, in terms of building complexity without getting too difficult or random.mostly though i think i was just in awe of the thought and idea behind the game, and then pulling it all together so well
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Re: difficulty, I’d happily play a Cocoon: The Lost Levels style follow-up for hardcore players but it’s a puzzle adventure not a pure-blood puzzler so I thought what we got was pretty appropriate tbh.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    It’s early April 1977. The rings of Uranus have just been discovered. Red Rum has just won a record third Grand National. Fairchild had a challenging Christmas keeping up with demand for Videocart-2 and Videocart-3 for their newly launched Video Entertainment System console but have now caught up with back orders and are ready to release some new games. But wait! 1977 is a time of change, of new thoughts, new ideas. The Fairchild Video Entertainment System is now the Fairchild Channel F. A new brand for a new time. Children frolic in the streets, droplets of water gathering on their Wellington boots as they splash in the puddles. They gobble down their sherbet dip dabs and flying saucers, like bees eating sweet nectar. It’s a time for fun. Storm clouds gather. Strong winds blow. Some of the children have umbrellas but they are turned inside out in the gale. The children weep. It’s a time for fear. A darkness is approaching on the horizon. The Fairchild Channel F allows you to change the fun. But 1977 isn’t going to just change the fun. 1977 is going to change everything.

Videocart-4 (Fairchild Channel F) - This cartridge contains only one game: Spitfire. Spitfire is a historically incoherent game. It features the Red Baron (World War I German fighter pilot Manfred von Richthofen) battling against the Blue Max (a World World I German military decoration, rather than a specific person) in World War II era Spitfire planes. Thus the game is actually about two German pilots friendly firing at each other in anachronistic planes.

You can play Spitfire either in single-player or two-player modes and at four speed settings. You get all Retro Achievements by achieving a 20-point score differential over the computer, so that’s what I did on all four speed settings to complete the game.

You start with both aircraft on the ground with a control tower in the middle. You automatically take off and then fly across the screen, firing at your opponent. If you strike them, they fall down to the control tower and you score a point. The screen loops around and you can also hide slightly off screen in a manual-sanctioned strategy that is meant to emulate hiding in a cloud.

The AI becomes harder the more you win but if you keep losing it becomes ‘cocky’ and decreases in skill again. The game gradually increases the speed even if you start at a lower difficultly setting. On one level this works but in 2023 I guess you would call this bad accessibility since you can’t keep playing at a slow speed if you need to.

The AI is pretty decent for such an early game and is actually pretty fun to play against. It’s quite impressive for such an early, small game to have an AI that ‘learns’ from battling the player. It took me quite a while to achieve the 20-point score differential the first time. It got easier as I kept going though and eventually I started to get bored. This was after playing the game for maybe an hour? Which isn’t a good sign. This is more like a decent Atari 2600 game than anything on the Channel F so far but it still isn’t a game with any kind of real longevity. [5]

PS Spitfire was programmed by Michael K Glass. We know this because there is an Easter egg wasting 11% of the cartridge space that does not actually work on retail hardware and that is so obtuse to unlock it would be unfindable without decompiling the game anyway.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    EvilRedEye wrote:
    Thus the game is actually about two German pilots friendly firing at each other in anachronistic planes.

I'm in.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Final Fantasy XVI it’s taken a while, after a long break getting distracted with too many other games I felt I had to finish this. It looks great, tells a solid high fantasy and the combat, eventually, becomes great fun as you chain multiple powers at different times balancing cool downs with timing the best attacks to stagger vs those to cause mass damage on the ever building enemy hp bars.

The only real negative I have is the need for Square to add in quite uninteresting fetch quests to pad out the run time. There were some that gave you some additional ongoing gameplay benefit but for the most it was experience and money, and just not worth it. I got to the end game with many green markers strewn across the map.

Overall, it’s a solid game and glad I played it but don’t think I’ll be going back [8]
  • I play an hour or two every few weeks at the moment!  Just can't get the dedicated sit down time I want to get my teeth into it.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I’d got a reasonable way through before I stopped for BG3 and Starfield and realised how stupid I was trying to keep several RPGs going at once. And now I really want to play Cyberpunk.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I just drifted away from it, might go back, but no major draw tbh
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Yeah I get that. The combat takes a while to get good but once it does it’s a much better game.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    The credits are still going and it’s been over 20 minutes!
  • Takes a village these days.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Finally got there and a nice little post credits scene. But NG+ ain’t gonna happen. Far too many games.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    b0r1s wrote:
    The credits are still going and it’s been over 20 minutes!
    Tempy wrote:
    Takes a village these days.

It does. Plus, they feel the need to thank everyone. When they start listing the catering companies and legal department, that's when my thumb moves towards the start button.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • A button press during the credits for Gunbrella speeds up the text and the tune playing.

Interactive credits was a noughties fad I quite enjoyed.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Cocoon (SeX)

Basically what everyone else said. Started a bit underwhelmed, then really liked it, but had slightly fallen out of love by the end.

Looks amazing, the orb swoop animation is top tier, the musical cues why extremely well done - but the actual puzzling list a bit of coherence at points, with behaviours that subtly changed at different points (not always in/out a layer).

Still, inventive, a bit different, and let great execution. So a solid [8] I suppose, desire getting like it could and maybe should have been higher (making it feel like it arguably deserves lower as punishment).

Now, back to Lies of P & Dead Space I guess.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Planet of Lana (Xbox Series X) - It’s perfectly fine. It’s a perfectly cromulent one of these. The premise is basically ‘what if Limbo/Inside was nice?’. You’ve got your 2D puzzler-platformer gameplay and often quite lush Ghibli-inspired graphics.

It feels like one big giant amalgam of influences, which it wears on its sleeve. On the one hand, it can come across as a bit derivative, on the other, I think there’s probably genuinely a gap in the market for ‘Limbo/Inside but not nasty and bleak’.

The gameplay is OK but can feel a bit unrefined at times. The control scheme seems quite complicated for one of these and it’s telling that it uses button prompts right to the end of the game. I didn’t really like the QTE sections. I feel like they tried to balance them so you’d fail at least once but, particularly in one case, the whole point of the sequence is to be like ‘whoop, whoop!’ and that gets undermined when you die a few times. There’s an achievement for completing the game without dying once which honestly comes across as the developer being completed deluded about the quality of the gameplay - I died quite a few unfair deaths during this.

The soundtrack deserves a shoutout as it’s genuinely good (apparently by the composer of The Last Guardian!).

Overall, it’s a pretty decent game, albeit a bit too derivative and overtly emotionally manipulative towards the end, with good but not great gameplay. Considering it’s the developer’s debut effort it’s quite impressive and I’ll be interested to see what they do next. [7]
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Been determined to complete Pikmin 4 before Wonder and there we are.

I never vibed with the night Tower Defence missions, but aside from that, this is the pinnacle of what Pikmin could be. I really loved going into each pipe, solving Mario Galaxy style puzzles then ducking out to find a fucking sweet potato or some other nonsense.

2x credits is brave pull but the game does it. What a great game
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Okami HD (Switch)

Hmm. Not sure how I feel about this one. Overall, I enjoyed it. But... there's a lot of questionable game design in this that makes me want to step back from recommending it. Let's look at some examples. Minor spoilers ahead, but the remake is 6 years old, never mind the original game. Statute of limitations, innit.

The tutorial is incredibly long (like, a third of the game), linear, frustrating, and tedious. It also gives you the bomb power before the wind power, so you end up in the curious situation in which you can blow up rocks, but piles of leaves are invulnerable.

One boss fight involves drawing vines into a boss in order to open up the weak point. But the brush stuff isn't 100% accurate, so you often end up getting the slash power rather than the vines. Which, on it's own, would be frustrating, but given that they also decided that the slash cuts the vines that you've already drawn, it makes it throw-the-controller-out-the-window annoying.

During an escape sequence, if you fall down, you have to use the power that creates fountains that you can climb back up to the platforms that lead to the exit. But during this section, rocks are falling from the ceiling; while climbing the fountain, you can't do anything else. So you just have to sit there while you get the shit beaten out of you.

In one dungeon, there's a room with a symbol that kinda looks like the bomb power on the floor. So that's the first thing I tried, but nothing happened. So I spent a good 20 minutes or so trying to figure out what I was meant to do - I tried drawing the symbol on the floor as-is, but that did nothing either. It's one of two parts of the game where I had to google the solution. Turns out you do have to draw the bomb symbol, it's just that the game didn't recognise it the first time I tried. Why not just make the thing you have to draw the same as the bomb power brush stroke? Why obfuscate it like that? I think this was the closest I came (bar the tutorial) to giving up.

Lastly, the other section I had to crack out the google for: there's a bit where you have to find dog warriors (it makes sense in context) using a tracking device. But it marks where they are on your map, so... why give you the tracking device? Then it asks you to return to character Ms. Whatsherface, and by that point I'd totally forgotten who that was, never mind where they were. This information isn't added to your map. It boggles the mind.

There's definitely a lot to love, but also a lot that's not great. The plot over all fits together quite nicely, but there's many world-saving McGuffins that are introduced then ignored for the rest of the game in quick succession. There's a cast of characters to love, and then a number that are discarded as quickly as the last doohickey you found. The final boss is amazing, but some of the intervening ones were real turd-tier stuff. The dungeons generally look great and play quite well, but are often over far too quickly. There's a cool section where you have to avoid getting eaten by a whale while surfing around on an orca, but then to get to the next section of the game... you get eaten by the whale. 

It kinda feels like discovering the bassist from your favourite band had a side project that you'd never heard of. Interesting, but in places, you wonder what the thought process was. I think the screenshot I took below pretty well sums up the game.

okami.jpg

In the end, I'm disappointed that the sequel that's hinted at the end never materialised (Okamiden doesn't count), but I also have no desire to do New Game+ and look for stuff I missed. Secret best Zelda? No. The EDGE [10] that never was? No. An interesting game that you should probably look into? Sure.

[8] I guess? Maybe one point lower if you're not a Zelda fan.
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    Cocoon
    Not too much original to add but I loved it from start to finish. I’m not a heavy puzzle gamer so the difficulty level was for sure in the easier side but well pitched for my enjoyment. Had 3-4 moments of feeling a bit stuck and therefore very satisfying when I figured it out.

Thoroughly engaging and kept a good pace throughout. Only bits I found a bit too fiddly were the floating/spinning diamond things you had to hit. A minor complaint in the grand scheme of the game. I’d been in a gaming slump for a while so this has kickstarted me again too, perhaps I’m being a bit more generous in that light but stand by the quality and enjoyment. [8]
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Cocoon didn’t follow my own advice and ended up playing this across three sessions. Overall I loved it all. The style was beautiful, the puzzles taxing enough but not overly difficult, though I did get stuck on a really simple puzzle that I had half-solved but for some reason my brain wouldn’t work. After that it all built very nicely into a nice satisfying game.

Though I was expecting…
    Spoiler:

Would love a sequel. [8]
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    GoldenEye (Switch Online)

I've been doing some Agent missions between playing other stuff, and I've just seen the credits roll. Still phenomenal, I was worried time would've worn the sheen off. I don't think I'm going back for Secret and 00 Agent, but I might try to round out the Agent level cheats.

[10]
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    I did scare myself with the amount that I remembered; "Oh, there'll be a set of body armour hidden behind this box" and such. I really did play the shit out of it back on the '64.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Somerville (Xbox Series X) - What a stinker. One of the designers of Limbo and Inside attempts to do a similarly themed game in 3D with absolutely disastrous results. This feels like an artefact created by an alien, completely incapable of the basic insight into human nature required to create something recognisable as adequate, never mind good, game design. I have never failed to vibe with a game as badly, as consistently, as this. I hated it right the way through from the very beginning to the very end. The poor controls which result in an entire game of careening about as though the main character is drunk. The inexplicably distant camera and frequently poor lighting that make it difficult to see what you’re doing, right throughout the entire game with never any reprieve. The shoddy, incomprehensible ‘puzzle’ based gameplay which resulted in me spending half the playthrough simply mimicking a video walkthrough from YouTube because I had no fucking clue what I was supposed to be doing. The vacuous plot, which has the audacity to have multiple fucking endings! As though I’m going to waste my life playing this nonsense multiple times.

If I had to describe this game in one word, it would be ‘illegible’. It is the most illegible game I have ever played. There is a basic level of aesthetic and technical competence that places this a step above E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial but aside from that it is every bit as bad as that low point in gaming history. [2]
  • Oooof
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!