52 Games... 1 Year... 2023 Edition
  • A game that's a cross between Slay the Spire and rearranging a Resi backpack sounds like absolute hell for me. Good stuff.
  • Yer mans lost his space carpet there Cinty.
  • 2022:
    Final Post

For list of games played in 2022, click any of Parts 1-6 below. List removed from Part 7 onwards.

Part 1: Games 1-3 (plus 2022 hangovers) (Judgment, Vampire Survivors, Miles Morales)

Part 2: Games 4-39 (Vaporum: Lockdown, DMC5:SE, Lost Judgment, Roadwarden, Yakuza Kiwami 2, Against the Storm, RE: Village PSVR 2, Tentacular, Destiny 2: The Witch Queen, Destiny 2: Lightfall, Tyranny, Lunacid, Pile Up!, Synapse, Far Cry 6, GTA 5, RE4 Remake, Tchia, Scarlet Nexus, Pistol Whip, Olli Olli World, Nier: Replicant, JETT: The Far Shore, Rune Factory 4: Special, Horizon: Call of the Mountain, DQ11:EoaEAS - Definitive Edition, Legend of Grimrock 2, Baldur's Gate 3, Whitewater Wipeout, Casual Birder, Pick Pack Pup, Crankin's Time Adventure, Direct Drive, Legend of Etad, Reel Steal, Recommendation Dog) 

Part 3: Games 40-43 (Dungeons and Puzzles, The Bookwalker, Chambers of Devious Design, Super Corporate Tax Evader)

Part 4: Game 44 (El Paso, Elsewhere)

Part 5: Game 45 (BABBDI)

Part 6: Games 46-54 (Genshin Impact, Honkai: Star Rail, Teardown, Humanity, Walkabout Mini Golf, Shadows of Doubt, Omaze, Demon Quest 85, Slay the Spire...again)

Part 7: Games 55-61 (Vignettes, Froggy's Battle, co-open, Fatum Betula, Executive Golf DX, Questy Chess, He Fucked the Girl Out of Me)

Part 8: Games 62-65 (Crusader Kings 3, Football, Tactics & Glory, Backpack Hero, Starfield)

Just one game today.

66. Salamander County Public Television

I have no idea what the fuck I just played. 

I'm not even sure if I like it, and that's weird as on more than one occasion there were actual involuntary laugh snorts caused by the game and it feels petty to judge it too harshly when the game is 2 hours long (depending on what kinda scores you are happy with) and probably averaged a decent laugh or chuckle every few minutes during that time. 

So...what is the game? Well, the lazy way to do this would be to describe it as Warioware via QWOP plus Stock Photos, which I think isn't totally inaccurate, but misses a fair bit of what makes the game work. 

20231130191136-1.jpg

So, let's start at the beginning. You are a new worker for Salamander County Public Television and your job is mostly to film content that can be used by SCPT in their TV shows. So, the pic above, help the dog get the ball by moving its tongue. That'll go great in a show!

There's a minigame a "day" and the story takes place over a month (23 minigames total, because weekends are off, plus some bonus ones). And, between each day you chat with colleagues and various NPCs in Whack Chat. 

20231130191047-1.jpg

The thing is, the game is intensely, intensely weird, and there's a fine line to walk there between RANDEM and boring. I have a low tolerance for games that lean into memelord internet humour - it's one of the things that really put me off Guacamelle, for example, and I think this only gets away with it because:

1. It's more the vibe - there's no actual known memes in the game, unlike in Guac
    2. It's a vibe that is less reminiscent of modern reddit / twitter / 9gag etc and more like 00s rathergood.com 

It's cats playing Elbow's cover of Destiny's Child...

One advantage that Warioware has over this is that the minigames are fast and short. In SCPT they can take a few minutes. Now, a few minutes isn't the end of the world but when they deliberately control like shit, it's not always super tempting to restart them to get a higher score. I basically accepted the first passing score I got for most of these games, as I enjoyed the theme and stupidity of the challenges more than actually playing them, meaning I got mostly bronze medals, with a handful of silver and a couple of golds. 

20231201120457-1.jpg

But make no mistake - the games themselves are often so stupid as to be genuinely hilarious. They're almost all controlled with the arrow buttons / WASD and sometimes the space bar. They're dumb, and surprising and genuinely very, very funny. There were also times in those 2 hours where the game was laying the insanity on so thick that I had to stop and turn the game off. Despite it only taking me 100 minutes, it took a couple of sittings. I also, on one occasion, made use of the skip day button, which just lets you pass a challenge because I hated it so much. 

20231201122604-1.jpg

Oh, but there are some good gags. As in, genuine proper sight gags. And every time I thought I was growing tired of the game, it gave me something so monumentally stupid I couldn't help but kinda like it. 

Should you (yes YOU!) play it? I would say, yes. Will you like it? Fuck knows, I don't even know if I like it. [8?]

Next / The To-Play List:
    Final Fantasy XVI (for real, real - right at the end now)
    Growing my Grandpa
    Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty 
    The Forest Quartet 
    Spare Parts: Episode 1 & 2 
    Unpacking
    NUTS
    Super is Hot
    Neurocracy
    Evolution
    Slasher U
    Cannelé & Nomnom - Defective Agency
    Druidstone
    Prodigal
    Tangledeep
    Jupiter Hell
    Mary Skelter 2
    Scanner Sombre
    Recursed
    Kine
    Vomitoreum
  • LivDiv wrote:
    Yer mans lost his space carpet there Cinty.

His Space Carpet was lost as he played too much SCPT.
  • Might have a crack at Salamander Television on Christmas day.
  • Will be very, very curious to hear your thoughts.
  • I'll probably get Tilly to review that one, the cat video sold it.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I'll probably get Tilly to review that one, the cat video sold it.

Cool - just to be clear, the cats aren't in the game. That video is from early internet classic website rathergood.com during The Before Times - it's just the closest thing I could find to explain the vibe of SCPT.
  • Ah right. She might need cats in flatcaps tbf.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Ah right. She might need cats in flatcaps tbf.

I can offer her a mouse with long spinning legs, and a dog with a long tongue.

Edit:

And there is a cat. But no flatcaps.
  • 2022:Final Post

For list of games played in 2022, click any of Parts 1-6 below. List removed from Part 7 onwards.

Part 1: Games 1-3 (plus 2022 hangovers) (Judgment, Vampire Survivors, Miles Morales)

Part 2: Games 4-39 (Vaporum: Lockdown, DMC5:SE, Lost Judgment, Roadwarden, Yakuza Kiwami 2, Against the Storm, RE: Village PSVR 2, Tentacular, Destiny 2: The Witch Queen, Destiny 2: Lightfall, Tyranny, Lunacid, Pile Up!, Synapse, Far Cry 6, GTA 5, RE4 Remake, Tchia, Scarlet Nexus, Pistol Whip, Olli Olli World, Nier: Replicant, JETT: The Far Shore, Rune Factory 4: Special, Horizon: Call of the Mountain, DQ11:EoaEAS - Definitive Edition, Legend of Grimrock 2, Baldur's Gate 3, Whitewater Wipeout, Casual Birder, Pick Pack Pup, Crankin's Time Adventure, Direct Drive, Legend of Etad, Reel Steal, Recommendation Dog) 

Part 3: Games 40-43 (Dungeons and Puzzles, The Bookwalker, Chambers of Devious Design, Super Corporate Tax Evader)

Part 6: Games 46-54 (Genshin Impact, Honkai: Star Rail, Teardown, Humanity, Walkabout Mini Golf, Shadows of Doubt, Omaze, Demon Quest 85, Slay the Spire...again)

Part 7: Games 55-61 (Vignettes, Froggy's Battle, co-open, Fatum Betula, Executive Golf DX, Questy Chess, He Fucked the Girl Out of Me)

Part 8: Games 62-65 (Crusader Kings 3, Football, Tactics & Glory, Backpack Hero, Starfield)

Part 9: Game 66 (Salamander County Public Television)

3 games today, including one biggun'.

67. Tangledeep
    I'd been tempted by the Shiren the Wanderer games for an age, but never really tried them. And, to cut a long story short, Steam recently had an Autumn Sale with a bunch of my wishlisted Trad roguelikes on sale. Given that i'd really enjoyed my dive into old-school tile-based Dungeon Crawlers in recent years, I thought a dip into Proper Rogue might be a good idea. So, I tried some, including Tangledeep.

ss-89c5019ba10a45edc1c6d18a5a6806dfbaf3c51b.jpg

Tangledeep is full of options. When you start the game it offers 4 basic game styles, including a "you bank what you bring back" version, a death = complete wipe option and a more modern full meta-progression variant. The game is pretty clear about which version is the intended way to play, and I appreciate that, so if you'd absolutely hate to lose all your progression in a game like this...Tangledeep kinda has you covered. 

This player-centric approach to difficulty extends to the class selection - as the game gives you most classes (and there are quite a few) unlocked from the start, rather than force you to slowly unlock them one by one, with each class given a difficulty rating for how hard it is to play. 

So you pick a class, and jump into a dungeon, move tile by tile and fight monsters / discover secrets / get loot. Monsters move when you move, so the emphasis is on the right mix of strategy, caution and bravery to know when to push and when to run. 

20231130185513-1.jpg

It's all very pretty, with the art style being very...highly competent pixel indie (and that's not meant as a backhanded compliment), and there's systems and lots of loot and locations and secrets and...why, oh why did I just find it a bit flat?

Like, there's nothing wrong here - it's clearly, clearly a well made game, and I fully intend to put more time in to it over the coming weeks and months. But there was rarely a sense of proper danger or risk - i think partly because the game offers you an infinite use "teleport home" button which, while it takes a few turns to wind up and actually do anything, undermines much of the drive to push for riskier rewards. There's no all-or-nothing gamble, as it's super easy just to teleport out and drop off what you have to hedge your bets.

Maybe there's more there that I haven't discovered yet (quite likely), so I'll keep diving into the dungeons for now. But more than loot or new locations, what I'll be looking for is...a hook. [6]

68. Jupiter Hell
    The 2nd Traditional Roguelike of this post, this one is a bit different. Jupiter Hell is the commercial remake and spiritual successor of DooM, The Roguelike (aka DRL) and it works exactly as you would assume it works. It's DooM, turned into a top-down tile-based dungeon crawler. The grungy space industrial vibe is still there, the metal music is still there...it's just now no longer an FPS.

Jupiterhell2.png

What makes this game work, for me, is the emphasis on weapon selection and builds, and the very smart way is transposes on-the-fly DooM movement shooter / boomer shooter mechanics into a gameplay system where you, technically, have all the time in the world to make a choice. 

Lets take the guns - you have pistols, SMGs, Shotguns, Grenade Launchers, Rockets etc. Each gun consumers ammo, with pistol ammo the easiest to find. But, beyond that, you also have clips per magazine. Reloading is an action, you see, so while a shotgun may do big damage, it might be better to blow up a nearby explosive barrel with a pistol to clear as many enemies as possible before worrying about hitting the bigger target.

Because enemies in this game, when they come, come thick and fast. It might be nothing for several hallways, then it's one, five, fifteen enemies one after the other - forcing repositions and reloads and grenades and, honestly, it's pretty fun. When it calms down, often what is left is a hallway of loot to pick from and ammo to replenish stocks. 

Jupiterhell.png

There's only a handful of classes in Jupiter Hell - bugger all compared to Tangledeeps dozen+, but the choices you can make to sculpt your character each time they level up helps to keep it feel fresh. Pistils can become death dealers with level up perks invested into increasing their range and damage, then another perk to let you dual-wield them. There's secrets, multiple paths through each dungeon, lots of choice and consequence when it comes to healing, upgrading and modding. 

It's impressive and yet...once again, something ends up feeling a bit flat. I prefer this to Tangledeep. I'll likely go back to this more quite soon. But it starts to feel quite samey, quite fast and I don't necessarily seeing that changing anytime soon. As a 300-hour 2nd job style game, i think this would suffer. As a run-a-week dip in and dip out 20 minute thing, I think it could work. It's too fun to say it's a disappointment, but it's too repetitive to say it's a must own. [7]

69. Final Fantasy XVI

Final-Fantasy-XVI-Screenshot-138.jpg

Lets get this out of the way. I thought this game was great. 

I think it would be relatively easy to do a review just nit-picking or going over areas that fell flat (yes, yes, those side-quests...) but given how little those problems mattered in the scheme of things, it'd feel disingenuous to focus on them too much. 

So yes - the game has issues: Performance outside of combat can be a bit choppy. Side quests can be a bit crap. There are too many side quests. Side quests are awkwardly placed in terms of when they unlock and risk completely grinding story progression to a halt. The item economy in the game makes absolutely zero sense. I was expecting the game to be a bit hornier. 

Now that that is out of the way, lets talk about FF16 and why I think it's fucking cool. 

Final-Fantasy-XVI-Screenshot-046.jpg

To understand FF16, it's probably best to talk a bit about that team's other big game - FF14 aka The MMO One aka (Probably) The Best Final Fantasy. The FF14 team love classic Final Fantasy, they love the works of Sakaguchi and Matsuno, they have a composer every bit as good as Uematsu (yes, really), they love European dark fantasy. They also like stories about Eikons / Summons / Primals. 

In FF14, the Summons (or Primals as they are known in that game) are a whole thing - as in, a primal is a being that is worshiped and prayed to, that feeds off the faith and tributes of it's followers and can be summoned to defend those people when needed. But, they also exert an influence, named Tempering - basically, people become brainwashed by the influence of a primal. 

Primals in FF14 can be cataclysmic events. You know how certain FFs, especially the Playstation One games, could have summons effectively ripping a planet in half, then the battle fades back in and you see 5467 DMG? Well, the 14 team avoids a lot of that by treating Summons as something else - Weapons of Mass Destruction. 

14: A Realm Reborn becomes about stopping a series of Primals while an enemy force seeks to harness and capture those powers for themselves. The first expansion, Heavensward (done by the main writer of FF16), dives deeper into the nature of Primals, and introduces a new wrinkle - the idea that people can act as vessels for Primals. Each further expansion dives deeper on, and expands, the what and how and why of Primals - but one thing remains the same; They are giant, and dangerous and cosmic and destructive

So anyway - FF16 shares a lot of story beats and concepts with 14, but it's ran through a character action game and a more dark fantasy Matsuno-esque filter. It is...Heavensward. Heavensward was about different countries at war, about discussions around tables, humans as Eikons/Primals, and schemes underneath. The obvious reference that keeps getting made (and no surprise, it was also mentioned by the dev team) is Game of Thrones, but trust me...they already did this back years ago in FF14. 

So, it is Game of Thrones, kinda....but it's Game of Thrones via Dragonball Z, and I mean that in a very earnest way. Because one of the things I really, really love about this game is it's excess. 

Final-Fantasy-XVI-Screenshot-134.jpg

Final Fantasy 16 is like Game of Thrones, only up to the point where someone in in Final Fantasy 16 turns into a giant walking nuclear weapon, and then all bets are off. This is absolutely not a game for people that roll their eyes when a FROM boss gets a 2nd health bar, as this game features fights that have upwards of 5 phases, each one taking the previous phase and going full Spinal Tap 11 on it. 

It is gloriously excessive, even if at their largest these fights become more about spectacle than gameplay - the gameplay often being the most satisfying when it's in Character Action mode and chucking a good combat encounter at you.

It can take a while to pick up - the game really starts having good combat once you have a few different Eikon playsets to play with - and for me it strikes a far better balance mixing in classic FF combat content to an action playstyle than, say, FF7 Remake. If there is a criticism to be made, it's that the game once again doesn't know what to do with magic for the most part (like 15), though at least here the Eikon powers effectively take their place. 

When it wants to do GoT talky talk, it's pretty great. When it wants to do full anime excess, it's pretty great. When it wants to do one-on-one intimacy, it's pretty great.

It's not perfect - even ignoring the issues listed above, there's some ones that bother me more. Several major female characters, including arguably the most important female character in the game, get done dirty (imo, ofc). That's not to say it had to be sunshine and rainbows for them - it's more that this positions itself as a story about a group of people but...it's a story about dudes. And that's ok, 15 was a story about dudes. But 15 was honest about being a story about dudes. 16 says it's about all of us, and our struggle, and freedom, and humanity. 16 is about dudes. And that's a shame, because some of 16s most interesting characters are Not Dudes, and I wish I could have spent some more time with them that didn't revolve around Dudes. 

But it's clearly a labour of love. It's a stunning game - actually, I wanted to include a whole bunch more screenshots that I thought were more impressive, but didn't know if they would be considered spoiler-y as they come from quite late in the game. The game has its highlights and standout moment but the final few hours are basically stunning scene after stunning scene with Masayoshi Soken basically putting out musical bangers for fun. 

Final Fantasy XVI is a weird one. Some low lows, some very high highs. It's at once slightly disappointing and everything I wanted. It has one of the best cast of supporting characters in an age, some of the best music, some of the best fights, and some of the worst pacing. It also has some truly moving relationships, some absolutely stunning voice acting, some hilariously bawdy cursing. 

Active Time Lore - pause the game to get some info on who everyone is, and what they are talking about! - is an absolute revelation. The weapon upgrade and item systems are just pointless crap. The hunts are great! The dungeons are...not always the best. 

If someone said this game was a [10] , i'd get why. If they said it was a [5], i'd get why. For me, it's a [9].

Next / The To-Play List:
    Growing my Grandpa
    The Forest Quartet 
    Unpacking
    NUTS
    Super is Hot
    Neurocracy
    Evolution
    Slasher U
    Druidstone
    Prodigal
    Mary Skelter 2
    Scanner Sombre
    Recursed
    Kine
    Vomitoreum
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Nice write up on FFXVI. You are bang on with the female characters not getting enough screen time. ATL is something all RPGs should have. Many the time I’ve started an RPG left it for a few months then wondered what the hell is happening story wise.
  • 26.Metal Gear Solid 3- 12 Hours - 8/10 - Xbox Series X

So better than 2…still nowhere near the first. Whilst I did enjoy all the Bond type cheese and clever exchanges, it’s just building up to the interactive movie that 4 is with so much nonsense that I ended up skipping the vast, vast majority of the cutscenes. A lot of the systems are interesting but strange going back to as they seem so very simple in comparison to something you’d find in a game today.

Really enjoyed it, and it could simply be too much Metal Gear but it was another one that felt too much like a slog towards the end. Still a good 8…

Sd8yc9.gif
  • 30. Asterix and the Secret Mission (Master System) - 1hr 30mins

Oh dear, something went very wrong with this sequel. Literally everything is worse than in the first game, which released 3 years earlier!

The two playable characters remain but the different level designs for each are out.

On top of that there is crippling amounts of slow down.

Just as I thought it couldn't get any worse, the last level is a maze that I found no logic to and have no idea how I stumbled through.

Very disappointing.

5/10

My list
    オレノナハ エラー ダ

Part 10: Games 67-69 (Tangledeep, Jupiter Hell, Final Fantasy XVI)

2 quick reviews today as I continue to work through my to-do list without becoming too distracted by other games. 

70. Druidstone: The Secret of the Menhir Forest

So I bought this because it is, apparently, made by the Legend of Grimrock peeps. Like LoG, it's old-school in many ways, harking back to classical turn-based RPGs, but unlike LoG...I wasn't a fan. And that kinda sucks, because I really wanted to like this. 

20231204132920-1.jpg

Druidstone is a top-down turn-based strategy RPG where you control a party of 3 (though it's 4 later) on smallish maps to complete some kind of objective. That objective might be to light X number of fires, escort an NPC to safety, reach a certain point etc. 

On each map there's also bonus objectives, which add some nice player opt-in risk/reward mechanics. Complete the mission without a character dropping to 0HP, open 2 chests before the last turn. To complete a mission, you just have to finish the main objective. But bonus objectives give gems, which can be used to upgrade character skills - this might increase power or number of uses allowed per combat. Some skills can be used infinitely, while others have limited uses in each mission. 

20231204131703-1.jpg

Choices are not permanent, thankfully, and you can freely remove gems and slot them elsewhere, allowing you to experiment and also tailor your setup for each mission. Missions are short too, and accessible via a world map, where you can choose from a selection of missions available, or replay old ones to complete bonus objectives and get a better outcome. 

Skills are well thought out, the story and characters are basic but inoffensive, the game looks nice, upgrading is player-friendly, it has risk/reward mechanics for extra optional challenge. That's all great, so why oh why did I really not enjoy my time with this game?

Put simply, it's a trial-and-error puzzle game, not a TTRPG. Enemies are constantly spawning in missions, with more and more arriving each turn, and there's often strict limits on how many turns you can take to complete a mission. The longer you take, the more likely to be overwhelmed. You die.

So, you figure out a safer way to beeline to an objective, only for an optional mid-boss to spawn in the area you had thought safe. You die.

You realise that you need to turtle behind the tank character and move as a 60% pace, just to get the one character capable of completing an objective to the location. The character still gets caught out by a million archers. Can't complete objective. You die. 

There's no victory from the jaws of defeat here. No last gasp mega play that completely turns the tide of battle. It does the Xcom 2 relentless struggle thing, without the tactical flexibility that Xcom 2 also offers. There is, at least until you level up some skills, a best solution to the level and you are expected to die until you find it. 

You are expected to learn enemy attacks and reach by dying. You learn spawn locations by dying. You bang your head against a wall until you see the solution to the puzzle, and these are not puzzles that can be thought through carefully on first glance. 

For some people this will be great - a strict, punitive, strategic puzzler, dressed up as a TTRPG. For me, I had an awful, miserable time, made all the worse by me liking so much else that the game does, and having real affection or the team. Boo. [3]

71. Mary Skelter 2

I've talked about how much i like tile-based first-person Dungeon Crawlers before. I mean hey, I mentioned Legend of Grimrock right up there in the review above. These games are My Jam!

I am also a Weeb, with a high tolerance for very anime things which I know isn't for everyone. I like Disgaea and Tales and Persona and a whole bunch more besides. I mean, I was playing the Hatsune Miku games back on the PSP! 

So, i know what this tier of game is like, the low-mid budget Japanese 2nd tier RPG. I know they're gonna have really bad tutorials which consist of JPEGs with a bunch of different fonts, proper nouns and arrows. I know the story beats. I know the weird mix of hyper sexualisation (Send your partner into MASSACRE MODE by LICKING THEM - this is a real thing) and innocent prudishness (Do you think character x likes me?). I know these things.

20231201205244-1.jpg

So, did I enjoy this? Kinda, but not really.

Mary Skelter 2, like many of these games, suffers from some pretty poor pacing in the early hours. With constant dialogue scenes being interrupted by constant tutorials, though there are at least a couple of nice highlights which is some of the environment design and the music. 

The combat system is...ok. I'm not a huge fan of it, but it's not the worst system I've come across (hello to Omega Quintet, you fucking suck). The characters are...ok. I like that each character has a special action they can perform in dungeons, which at least adds some variety to traps, secrets and traversal.

20231201210944-1.jpg

So, it's fine. Not great. Unfortunately, as with many B/C-tier games outta Japan, the PC port is Not Good At All. Weird control and input decisions, random crashing, issues with full-screen and windowed mode (though still better than Starfield lol). It's just a bad PC port and an average game, and it's hard for me to recommend this when there are better examples of the genre available. [4]

Next / The To-Play List:
    Growing my Grandpa
    The Forest Quartet 
    Unpacking
    NUTS
    Super is Hot
    Neurocracy
    Evolution
    Slasher U
    Prodigal
    Scanner Sombre
    Recursed
    Kine
    Vomitoreum
    Moonring
    Etrian Dyssey III HD
    Hitman: World of Assassination
  • 9. Worldless (PS5) - 10 Dec (11 hrs)
    Oh, right. Worldless, not wordless. Anyway, mixed feelings about this game, an indie minimalist Metroidlike with not much going on. In fact, I had no idea what was going on mostly. Something about a god and the beginning of a/the world or some other shit.
    You explore and uncover the map and get further and further as you pick up new abilities, a la a Metroid game. The game world itself is quite small but there's still a fair amount of trudging back and forth which, without decent fast travel, can get tiresome. The onscreen map itself is also a little awkward in that it only shows a dot for a room or area and roughly how it is connected to anotgher room or area - so you could have a dot on the map representing several actual game screesn horizontally and vertically. There are some decent platforming sections and you do get a nice feel of progression.
    Combat is different to your usual games of this type. Again, you unlock new abilties and weapons etc, but there are a set number of encounters spread across the map so you don't have rooms full of little enemies. This is partly due to the turn-based nature of the fights. The mechanics themselves are sound, but can be cumbersome - there are parries, counters and perfect blocks, all of which don't feel very responsive or fluid enough which can lead to frustration.
    And there are a few frustrating encounters that almost had me quitting. And I haven't even properly finished the game - just the standard ending. I am missing one piece of a puzzle that I assume/understand unlocks possibly the proper end boss but I can't be arsed to trudge around looking for it.
    Overall, worth it if you have a spare 6-12 hours (depending on how much you want to find) and nothing else to play. Otherwise, there are better games to play but this is by no means bad. Just not that good.
    [7]
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • I make it sound worse than it is, I think.  I'm glad I played it.  You gotta give a chance to these indies.
  • My target for the end of the year:

Mario
    Elden Ring (co-op with the Boy that we started in May last year!)
    Arkham Asylum remaster - the Boy is starting this and I said I would (re)play alongside him before I start City next year (which I have never played)

Even if I don't finish any of the above, if I count the 60 or so hours of SFVI too, I'm into double figures, lads!  WHAT A RESULT FOR ME!!!
  • I really need to get back to the SF6 Yakuza mode.
  • 183. Robocop: Rogue City - PS5 (8hrs)

A new Robocop game that was reasonably well received but screamed 'in at a chalice' to everyone apart from me.  First impressions were mixed - the cut-scenes whiffed of the low budget with some frankly ridiculous texture pop-in reminiscent of Halo 2.  Character models and faces were iffy too, and the voice acting missed the mark for the most part (although Peter Weller reprises his role as Murphy and is reasonably good despite the fact that he's reciting such middling dialogue).  It wears its AA status on its sleeve but the playable sections look pretty good, and all was forgiven once the shoot-outs started, with Robo's Auto-9 doing all the right things as it rips through fleshy perps with the trademark semi-inducing semi-auto sound.  L2 brings up the targeting assist to light up the bad guys with the classic green tracking system.  In terms of character movement Titanfall 2 it most certainly is not as you plod around marking & merking in a robost yet treacly FPS style.  The thrill is the kill, and definitely not the way you manoeuvre your character around the environments to line those shots up.  You're basically a tank (there is a run button, but we're talking Everybody's Gone to the Rapture in terms of speed boost), accompanied by heavy footfall booming in your ears with every step, and the vast majority of enemies merely exist to be pulped.  At the end of the first stage I was sold, and chuffed that I'd gone in at £43 instead of waiting for the magical half price zone.

Then it all started to fall apart, and fairly rapidly too.  Upon hitting the precinct (which reminded me of the pointless hub section in Wolfenstein 2, which I also constantly lost my bearings in) I wrapped up a bit of busywork with one eyebrow raised, then quickly blootered out of the parking lot, scraping my squad car's rear bumper for good measure, ready to rid the streets of crime.  10 minutes later I realised I was basically playing Shenmue, with only marginally less robotic dialogue.  You can't have a humourless cyborg looking for cats, searching for foreign biblical art-house movies in a VHS store or - I kid you not - mooching around looking for A TOWEL while someone takes a shower (so they can dry off to sign a get well soon card), because a) this isn't Yakuza and b) a sum total of zero people voluntarily sign up for that shit when they boot up a Robocop game in 2023.  Much like Yakuza, non cinematic cut-scenes can be spooled forward by pressing a button to move to the next line of stilted dialogue - I defy anyone who plays this not to think of sailors or Ine-san while treating themselves to a sped up exchange.  When not talking to low-life scum you'll be issuing parking tickets to people who block fire hydrant access, scanning pools of vomit or climbing up a ladder to find stolen wallets or any number of trinkets that boost your XP at the end of each chapter.  It's offensive clutter, and ruins what could have been a decent modern Robocop game - if the pointless fat had been trimmed and this had actually released at the magical chalice pricepoint, as a 4-5hr level-based shooter, this might've actually been legit.  The RC game I wanted is in here, it's just buried under mountains of guff.

As a general rule of thumb for the combat, killing soft enemies is great - fodder mohawk chumps, bikers, the dudes who call for back-up if you don't spread their heads quickly enough - but shooting metallic enemies is a chore.  So yes, I'm afraid that after that initial 'wooo, Ed-209!', you'll be cursing the metallic ping of the bullet sponges every time they appear.  To make matters worse [minor spoilers, but I doubt anyone cares] humanoid style robots start to appear in the final third of the campaign, and they're precisely as dull to dispatch as you'd expect.  As if to deliberately add insult to injury they genuinely look like an idea someone binned before settling on the design of the original Cybermen, and spout Johnny-5/Dalek hybrid style speech samples at you as you plod around slowly scrapping them.  When they're introduced you're informed that they'll turn on one another if you shoot their heads off, which sounded neat, but doing so just makes them explode so it was all a big lie (unless the fact that I'd dropped it down to easy just to get through it at this point affected this in some way).  

Environments are what you'd expect from a Robocop game really.  It's chiefly either set in one area of the local city at night, at the police station (yawn) or at the abandoned mill.  Eventually you may or may not get to clump around the OCP offices.  There are a couple of nice touches and references to the original films (I believe this is set between no.2 and 3), but there's also some ham-fisted stuff like mannequins moving during one of the head-fuck glitch sequences.  Modern games that play with reality owe a debt to the Scarecrow sections in Arkham Asylum, or the department store stretch in Condemned, but you can't just nick stuff wholesale and expect people to be impressed 15 years on.  I'm currently playing Alan Wake 2, which takes giant strides in this particular department.

Anyway, I was desperate for this to be over after the first 4 hours or so.  All the 'detective' scanning is relentlessly tedious and always seems to advance the story in the same way.  A potential crim will claim to have nothing to hide, you'll walk around the immediate vicinity scanning things for a minute or two and then he'll fess up.  It's crap.  This review is already too long but I did want to mention a couple of other things, so I'll chuck them out quickly before wrapping up:  Snipers are irritating because your character is so immobile.  The punch is amusingly powerful.  Suit upgrades are dull, gun upgrades are an exercise in needless faffery (line up conduits to marginally boost things like power and spread while trying to avoid sending power to penalty areas, jfc).  Does anyone read the letters and folders you can pick up in games like this?  No they do not.  It's also weird when a POV cut-scene kicks in with the chequerboard Robocop vision, but you've been looking out of his visor the whole time and the effect is only present when you hold a shift button. There are occasional dialogue choices, and certain outcomes can be impacted depending on your responses, but I ditched paying any attention to these bits after the first meeting with the mayor.  Repeated gripe from earlier: A TOWEL? 

TLDR: It's not terrible.  Every time the theme tune kicks while someone's head explodes it jumps up two points, but this should have been a focused, Call of Juarez: Gunslinger style adventure instead of biting off more than anyone wants to chew.  The ending sequence requires you to check in on every character one by one, and there wasn't a single one of them I had any interest in talking to, which just about sums up everything other than the shooting gallery stages in the whole game.  If only you couldn't talk to these creatures. [6]

Might've been a [5] but streetpunk Scott McTominay tickled me too much:

IMG-20231208-WA0018.jpg
  • Review of Robocop seems about right. Seemed to make a strong first impression with a lot of people, when it first started to get some coverage, primarily due to how crunchy and satisfying the combat looked, but I wasn't sure how much game there was there. A generous 6 sounds alright and enough for me to bite when it hits the right pricepoint or ends up on a sub service.
  • 184. The House of the Dead: Remake - PS5 (<1hr)

Had my eye on this on Switch for a while but as its not one I'm likely to play handheld I thought I'd nab it on PS5.  I've played a small handful of light gun imitators on PS4 (Blue Estate and a couple of decent VR efforts) and the DS4 worked surprisingly well for gyro controls.  No such luck here though, as the implementation of motion aiming is atrocious.  The reticle is either too fast or too slow, depending on where you place the sensitivity sliders, and goes missing even more regularly than I've come to expect with these things.  Yes, it was never going to be perfect, but at least most similar games pretend to be trying. 

It's a shame because the remake isn't too bad otherwise. A modern budget gloss applied to an early polygon boom arcade game is never going to quite tick all the boxes, but general over-shininess aside this makes as good a fist of the lick of paint as you could realistically expect.  It's a shame there's no OG mode at the touch of a button (a feature I'm a massive fan of for retro touch-ups), but on the whole HotD (a model 2 board release) looking like an oddly emulated HotD2 (which ran on the NAOMI board) isn't a bad look. 

I muddled through with gyro rather than admitting defeat and switching to the default analogue cursor option, and oddly enough the wonky controls helped me appreciate the layout and gameplay a little more than usual.  I've never been a huge fan of the game really, and wouldn't have it anywhere near the Virtua Cops on my lightgun tier list, but with its multiple routes and headshot heavy focus for unscathed progression it's actually a very competent example of the genre.  I'm still not keen on the hammy Resi adjacent feds 'n zombies thing, but hey, it's a vibe.  

[4] for this particular port due to control issues.  If the pointer/gyro aiming works better on Switch you could probably add 3 points to that, but a game like this lives or dies by its controls and they're unnecessarily shite with a Dual Sense pad.

ajuda1.gif

185. Streets of Rage 2 - Mega Drive (45mins)

What can I say that hasn't been said before?  Not much really, so I'll keep it short (disclaimer: I'm aware that I've probably said this before anyway, as this is maybe the 4th time I've dropped this in one of these threads): it's one of the most ridiculous beast mode sequels ever.  Considering SOR was released in mid 1991 and this appeared in Japan in late '92, I'd probably stick my neck out and say it's the most alchemic videogame sequel of all time*.  The first game was absolutely legit (and I'd argue that the high points of its soundtrack remain the best pieces of music in the series), but as an immediate follow-up this was craaaaaazy. It looks like it's running on different hardware for a start, and had absolutely no business being this much of a step up.  AFAIK it was only the second 16-meg cart (the first to be released in PAL territories), and the extra space was put to astonishingly good use.  It pops in every department.

In 2023 it remains hugely playable and nicely balanced, with the drip feeding of enemies being the icing on the cake - there's not a duffer in the pack, and new standard types appear as late as the penultimate stage.  Yes it reuses bosses here and there, but to good effect.  Perhaps stage 6 could have introduced a new boss rather than bringing back a double team of already defeated ones, it's a shame that the buddy moves were omitted for co-op, there aren't any holes to fall (or chuck fools) down and Skate is a bit crap for a solo play imho, but otherwise this is God-tier belt scrolling and would probably still be the best example of the genre if the third sequel didn't exist.  Astonishing.  Also: Knife Galsia lol.  96%

nwWWaYr.gif

eUr9nhC.gif

IT494Gw.gif

*Admittedly I overlooked Streetfighter II when I typed this, but that arrived close to 4 years after its predecessor so I reckon I'm still backing myself not to die on this hill.

Part 10: Games 67-69 (Tangledeep, Jupiter Hell, Final Fantasy XVI)

Part 11: Games 70-71 (Druidstone, Mary Skelter 2)

Some chunky monkeys today. And some good ones too, as I finally want to get round to including a few games that made my final GotY list.

72. Slay the Princess
    Not gonna go super deep into this one, save to say that it's from the pair behind the excellent Scarlet Hollow. This is a choice-led visual novel psychological horror romance thing and it's just brilliant. Brilliantly written, brilliantly voice acted, brilliantly funny and dark, brilliantly disturbing. 

slay.jpg

There's a princess in a basement, in a cabin, and you arrive to kill her. That's all you really need to know. Genuinely superb work. [9]

73. Etrian Odyssey 3 HD
    I can't get enough of tile-based first-person dungeon crawlers and the HD re-release of 3 on Steam was enough to tempt me, as i'd not played much of the first 3 EO games. It's...an Etrian Odyssey game. You make a party, go around a set of dungeons, slay monsters, grind for materials, sell 'em, upgrade your gear and repeat. 

It's not without its quirks - every EO game mixes up encounters or mechanics in some way, and EO3 has some ocean traversal (which takes a while to get going) and some absolutely brutal early encounters. There's one enemy in particular that appears on the first floor or the first dungeon that can absolutely wreck your party, and it's a chastening lesson to learn. 

20231205132449-1.jpg

The dungeons as well have a stupid number of hidden back and forth passages, even by EO standards, and it's wise to basically strafe through the dungeon with your face pressed against the wall in order to find secrets. 

The transition to PC wasn't bad, though, and the draw your own dungeon hook works well enough on mouse, though nowhere near as good as it is on a stylus. Still, I got my money's worth and will happily potter away at this through the coming year. [6]

74. Etrian Odyssey 5
    My favourite EO game. I'm back on this on the 3DS so yes I am, in fact, playing 2 EO games simultaneously across 2 platforms because I am a sick, sick man.

Played this before to completion and am now a dozen hours back into a new run. The character balance feels great, the dungeons are now packed with rewarding events to encounter, levels are deviously designed and filled with puzzles. 

eo5.png

It's just...a really good EO game from top to bottom. [7]

75. Shogun Showdown
    This is for Face who outed me as a Shogun Showdown owner. 

So yes, the rumours are true. This is bloody brilliant. 

Shogun Showdown is a turn-based roguelike that takes place on 2D arenas with somewhere between 5-10 tiles (generally) right to left. You press A to go left, D to go right, W to turn around, and S to skip your go. So, you move and you do stuff, simple right?

Well, not really. Enemies spawn on left and right sides, and perform actions when you do. Moving is an action, turning around is an action, queuing a move is an action. This reveals the game to follow a similar flow to something like ADOM or a sokoban game - it becomes about understanding turn and action order and manipulating it to your benefit. 

One of my favourite builds in the game is to use the Bo (which turns enemies around) to cause them to hurt each other. It becomes about space manipulation and eventually it's a game of stop hitting yourself

20231219141844-1.jpg

This might all make it sound like yet another turn-based deckbuilding roguelike, but it's really more than that. For starters, you're not building a deck with loads of cards - most of my runs revolve around 4-6 cards, if that, and upgrading cards (actions) to make them more powerful or solve combat problems becomes more important than just adding more to your deck. The ability to know exactly what triggers enemy attacks, where they will hit, and what damage they will do adds a huge amount of granular decision making that most games just don't focus on - this game is about the line...the perfect order of actions and moves to combo kill multiple enemies without taking any damage. 

It's about understanding that an enemy can hurt you, but they can also be worth keeping alive. Sure, i could kill the spearman in front of me, but once he's dead, the ranged ninja bastard on the other side will throw a shuriken at me and i've nothing in my kit to avoid damage. So, spin the spearman for a turn until my arrow comes off cooldown, then kill and arrow in the same turn to drop both...

This is all early game stuff, and the game slowly doles out more complex skills and challenges. It's fucking good.

So, why did it miss out on my GotY? For the same reason Backpack Hero did before, as did Rhythm Doctor, and why Against the Storm and Lunacid both got good positions this year - I prefer to consider games as proper GotY contenders once they are out of Early Access. I wasn't a fan of Slay the Spire getting nommed every year, and I really like Slay the Spire. There are exceptions of course (hello Shadows of Doubt), and make no mistake - this is a very playable game now. I'm just happy to wait until 1.0 and in the meantime I'll give it the score it deserves in 2023. [10]

76. Brotato
    If you like yer Binding of issacs and your action roguelikes, you could do much, much, much worse than this. It's dirt cheap, and very good indeed. [8]

77. Dotage
    For a long time this was my front-runner for GotY. I was waiting for the penny to drop and for me find some awful flaw, or for me to get bored of it...but that never happened. I was charmed by it and have been playing it on and off now since July. It was only Baldur's Gate 3 that finally knocked it off its top spot, and that was hardly a fair fight.

dotage.jpg

A labour of love from a single developer, I've never played a game like this before - or, at least, not this combination of genres in this specific way.

So...deep breath...

Dotage is a village builder, but it's turn based, with survival elements and...it's also a roguelite? It's a weird combo, but it works.

Simply put, you start a village as the village elder. Days are turned into a set number of periods, allocated to work and rest. You build facilities and homes for your village pips (the game's term for NPCs including animals), collect materials, grow...so far so village builder, albeit with a simplified and stripped down turn-based interface.

The thing is...an apocalypse is coming. Ruin is always around the corner, and much of the game comes from trying to avert disaster. A booming town can be reduced to ruin by plague, or fire...or something else. Omens are given to you, the Elder, and there's always a ticking clock.

Pips have simple needs - food, shelter being the main ones - and there's not a million resources to juggle. It's a stripped down, streamlined approach compared to the hyper density of something like Rimworld or Dwarf Fortress. 

It's just...a really fun game that clicked with me super hard for some reason. It seems well made, well balanced, cute and fun and simple and funny and...it was my surprise of the year. It was nowhere near my radar, and then it became a mini obsession of mine. Loved it. [9]

Next / The To-Play List:
    Growing my Grandpa
    The Forest Quartet 
    Unpacking
    NUTS
    Super is Hot
    Neurocracy
    Evolution
    Slasher U
    Prodigal
    Scanner Sombre
    Recursed
    Kine
    Vomitoreum
    Moonring
    Hitman: World of Assassination
  • Nice. Slay the Princess was on an 'indies you probably missed' kind of YT video I stumbled on the other day. Probably not for me but it sounded great.

Day 1 for Shogun.
  • Shogun Showdown and Dotage and also Slay the Princess go on The List.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I always feel bad for not having ‘done’ the EO series but I also don’t know when I’ll be able to get round to them. I’ll smash ‘em all when/if I retire, I swear!
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • from top to bottom

Nice
  • 186. Back to the Future III - Mega Drive (25mins)

A brutally unfair odds & sods mish-mash of minigames that even manages to do a terrible job of converting the film's theme to chip music.  Stage 1 is a sidescrolling horseback autorunner that requires a ridiculous amount of pattern memorisation to progress, level 2 is a one screen Marty MOMPOV shooting gallery that requires a ridiculous amount of pattern memorisation to progress, level 3 is an isometric plate chucking shmup of sorts (memorisation required, natch) and level 4 is a drab right to left platformer where your goal is to reach the front of the train. They're all varying degrees of bad, but the shooting gallery is the only section anywhere near passable.  I'd imagine this was cobbled together in a matter of months (generous estimate: just over three) but even with Probe in typical scramble & punt mode I'm surprised no-one flagged the issue of opening the game with the weakest section of the lot. I like autorunners - I find the genre quite relaxing if done right - but the amount of hazards you have to duck/shoot/jump before a screen suddenly and mercifully declares that you've rescued Clara is insane.  You'd have to write the patterns down if you wanted to progress, so it's got more in common with an electronic Simon Says device than (what would now be considered) a proper runner.  The shooting gallery is okay, but the win state is an absolute fuckload of points, way more than I expected to require, so that gets the thumbs down too.  I hated the plate throwing but save scummed my way through, and the final stage is just weak. 

The whole thing reminds me of The Flintstones on Master System, another of Croydon's finest (and one I had the misfortune of owning as a kid, although I can't remember why), only without the 'redeeming features' of a paint the fence level or the borked 'yabadabad' sample when you hit start.  Absolute pish.  There are worse licensed games out there than this, but not many.  36%

back-to-future-part-3-sega.png

187. The Terminator - Mega Drive (<20mins)

I can't be trusted on this one because I loved it as a kid and still have a soft spot for it.  Aside from SOR2 it's probably my most replayed MD game for a start.  As a 10/11yr old I was obsessed with the first Terminator film.  I got the MS port on release day and picked up a second hand copy of the MD one not long after I made the jump to 16-bits of power.  No regrets.  Four stages.  One life.  No continues.  I reckon you could speedrun it in 15 minutes or so.  But they'd be 15 hot minutes.  Ergo it represented disgusting VFM at £44.99 - the 47% Mean Machines Sega review that praised the game but bodied it for Lastability was spot on in hindsight.  Swish graphics, a genuinely decent soundtrack (the music for the first stage is particularly good) and passable horizontal fire shooting....NGL I still quite like this and it's probably my favourite Terminator game that doesn't also star Robocop.  Quite possibly horrendous for anyone who didn't play it in 1992. 76%

tumblr_pqldztqLw81v4u49oo1_640.gif

Go on naysayers, deny this bangs:

188. Batman Forever - PS1 (1hr)

Good grief.  A few screens into this I quit back to the menu to check the file description, assuming it was a crazy fan hack that had nothing to do with the supposedly average scrolling beat 'em up I'd seen in magazines of the day.  Remember those bonkers StreetFighter II hack cabs that started to appear in chip shops a few months into the UK boom, where Ryu threw two zigzagging fireballs at once and his dragon punch swept across the screen in a wide arc (and also produced fireballs)?  They were known as Black Belt Editions near me, but that could've just been a postcode thing. Anyway, this is so weird it reminded me of those.  You wanna get nuts?  Said everyone involved in this project on day one of production.

Before I'd defeated half a dozen enemies (but after a couple of unknown power ups presented in an Altered Beast style) Batman suddenly shrank to half size.  After eventually returning to normal I accidentally stepped on an item that caused him to grappleshot around the ceiling, repeatedly BAM/POWing enemies that weren't there.  There seems to be a random upgrade system at play throughout the game, which basically adds a Mario Kart unpredictability to any pick-ups.  This might have worked if the basic gameplay was up to scratch, but as the punching & kicking is atrocious it just makes the whole thing feel like a shoddy interactive tombola.  You plod along hammering buttons while weird shit happens and, given that it's a seemingly straight port of an arcade game, it persistently holds its hand out for more coins along the way.  The rub here being that the home port limits the amount of credits available, with the easiest setting allowing a maximum of 7 continues, which ran out for me (so I had to go back and cheat).  Whereas the best examples of the genre allow good players to stay on top of enemy waves with what tends to be called crowd control (by making use of throws that knock enemies over, backwards attacks, sprinting into space and so on), this just seems to exist in a perpetual state of lurid, trippy, shonky button mashing.  Just about the only way to win, as far as I could tell, was to constantly perform fireball motions and spam punch for multi-hit attacks, then jump to safety at a key moment.  By the halfway point I felt like a casualty of the longest thumb war ever.  Enemies can wreck you in seconds if they lock you in their pocket, and there's no rescue special that allows you to do anything about it.  

I despise digitised graphics with a passion and this is an especially poor example of a fad that mercifully died out not long after it kicked off.  Still, my hatred of the visual style didn't affect my judgement with the gameplay here - even if it looked as glorious as something like Alien Vs Predator this would be a deep basement tier belt scroller.  It has no redeeming features that spring to mind and I wouldn't even recommend it as a 'check this crap out' co-op experience.  Truly horrific; I didn't expect to play anything worse than BttFIII so soon into the 90s tie-in project, but here we are.  23%

As usual when I post YouTube videos, apologies if it eventually turned out that this guy was an incel weirdo:

Sorry to be a sourpuss grumpyface but 'it's so zany!' isn't worth half as many points from me *goes back to considering Bud Spencer & Terence Hill: Slaps & Beans 2 on the EShop at 20% off*

189. Rambo: First Blood Part II - Master System (40mins)

I knew this as Secret Command when I had it - iirc it was re-released as part of the upper-lower tier budget offerings and cost £12.99 new.  The Ninja was only £9.99, and that's a much better game imo, but this was still good fun, even if it was knocking on a bit by the time I first played it in 1990.  At some point I presume it was rebranded as a Rambo game when Sega had the license for a bit. Or maybe the ROM I found is the American release, but wotevs - this is essentially the same game I had as a kid on my PAL Master System.  

It's very slow for a Commando clone, which isn't really something I mind because it gave me a chance to actually get through it (with copious amounts of save states ofc).  It's odd that all bullets travel slower than a nonchalantly chucked paper plane, but if they were any faster I doubt I would have ever seen stage 2 as a kid.  Confession: I've never seen Rambo part II (or III for that matter), but I'm interested now that I know the big boss at the end is the head of a giant mechanised rock monster hiding in the final room of a futuristic lair. 

It's aged better than most but I wouldn't say it's worth playing these days unless you're revisiting.  Considering it first appeared in 1986: 82%

rambo-first-blood-part-ii_14.png
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    9. Worldless (PS5) - 10 Dec (11 hrs) ... ... ... Oh, right. Worldless, not wordless. Anyway, mixed feelings about this game, an indie minimalist Metroidlike with not much going on. In fact, I had no idea what was going on mostly. Something about a god and the beginning of a/the world or some other shit. You explore and uncover the map and get further and further as you pick up new abilities, a la a Metroid game. The game world itself is quite small but there's still a fair amount of trudging back and forth which, without decent fast travel, can get tiresome. The onscreen map itself is also a little awkward in that it only shows a dot for a room or area and roughly how it is connected to anotgher room or area - so you could have a dot on the map representing several actual game screesn horizontally and vertically. There are some decent platforming sections and you do get a nice feel of progression. Combat is different to your usual games of this type. Again, you unlock new abilties and weapons etc, but there are a set number of encounters spread across the map so you don't have rooms full of little enemies. This is partly due to the turn-based nature of the fights. The mechanics themselves are sound, but can be cumbersome - there are parries, counters and perfect blocks, all of which don't feel very responsive or fluid enough which can lead to frustration. And there are a few frustrating encounters that almost had me quitting. And I haven't even properly finished the game - just the standard ending. I am missing one piece of a puzzle that I assume/understand unlocks possibly the proper end boss but I can't be arsed to trudge around looking for it. Overall, worth it if you have a spare 6-12 hours (depending on how much you want to find) and nothing else to play. Otherwise, there are better games to play but this is by no means bad. Just not that good. [7]

Ah, knew I had seen this game mentioned somewhere recently - was chatting with Nina and Worldless came up and it rang such a strong and recent bell that i couldn't place. But it was you!
  • That Robocop tune gives me the same feels as the GB version/the Ariston advert. Banger.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!