Movie Record 2024 Edition
  • Raiziel wrote:
    davyK wrote:
    I really like Ethan Hawke. Why I have not seen more of him?

Your next stop: Predestination.

Good shout but Training Day has gotta pip that

PSN - minkymu
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Predestination on my to watch list.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    poprock wrote:
    It just felt style over substance to me (I know, sometimes I enjoy that kind of thing). For all the big themes, it felt paper thin. Glad you enjoyed it though.

Lovely house!  :)
  • Hawke directed the biopic of one of my country/alt heroes, Blaze Foley (with a sideman Townes Van Zandt). Saw the film at the LFF one year with ol' Hawkesy doing a bit. Enjoyed that film a lot but ymmv based on appreciation of the subject matter.
  • davyK wrote:
    Lovely house!  :)
    That is precisely why we watched it. Mrs Poprock saw the trailer and said ‘that’s a nice house, what’s the film?’
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    heh!

I might have spotted the house designers in the credits...

more fuel for your style over substance comment. :)
  • nick_md wrote:
    Hawke directed the biopic of one of my country/alt heroes, Blaze Foley (with a sideman Townes Van Zandt). Saw the film at the LFF one year with ol' Hawkesy doing a bit. Enjoyed that film a lot but ymmv based on appreciation of the subject matter.

I liked the song he did on the Reality Bites soundtrack. Still include that on some playlists now.

• Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    davyK wrote:

Prepare to have your mind blown
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    davyK wrote:

Prepare to have your mind blown

The film is based on a short story called All You Zombies by Robert A. Heinlein. I read it, thought it was amazing, and never ever thought anyone would be in their right mind to adapt. The Spierig brothers did it, and they did it beautifully.
    Get schwifty.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Yep, it's a good watch.
  • Whatever you do, do not go read that short story before watching the film.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Before trilogy = good Hawke
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I watched Leave The World Behind following having read the Novel. It really doesn't hit on the racial issues really subtly concerned in the Novel, and more on the bizarre stuff, which I do also like. I also think Ethan Hawke is a national treasure.

So it was good, but the Novel really gets under your nails if you're brave enough
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I was expecting the race thing to feature in the film...it was in the air quite quickly but it wasn't pushed.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    OFFS
  • That Reg. He’s a sneaky one.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    OFFS

That was because I had double posted - then deleted the duplicate post without deleting this...
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Tom Brown's Schooldays  Old 1950 adaption of the novel. Awfully, awfully but a marvellous game of spot the young actor can be played with this. Spotted Max Bygraves as the light comedy coachman and there's a huge overlap with the cast of the Alistair Sim Scrooge adaption.  Star of the show is the great Robert Newton who has genuine screen presence however.   Never read the book but feels a bit of a choppy adaptation, likely because of the running time that was normal in those days.

Shot in Rugby school and it features recreations of the 1830s version of the game which appears to be a mindless scramble.  :)
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    Anyone seen Hawke in First Reformed? Really good.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Open Range Good old Western tale with Costner and Duvall being superb.

It's missing really hateful bad guys though and there wasn't much tension built either - Michael Gambon is criminally under used in it which is likely the reason and it lacks the weight it should have because of that. 

Gambon also seems to be off form - maybe bad editing - hard to say. Didn't see why he had to have a mid Atlantic Irish accent either. I suspect the cutting room floor would explain that.

But it's still a good watch. Duvall is magnificent in this.  A very young looking Diega Luna (Andor) has a good role too.
  • Platoon
    There are a good amount of top tier Vietnam movies but Platoon has always been my favourite. It captures the madness of the war perfectly. The opaque struggle for the soul of Chris between Barnes and Elias plays as a background for the struggle of the soul of America, and despite Chris eventually killing Barnes its unclear who really won. Did Barnes really win in forcing Chris to commit murder? Did America learn from the failure of Vietnam or just become more bloody.

Brilliant cast full of "I forgot they were in this" stars. Johnny Depp is in it for example. (would make a good Pointless question)

Tom Berenger's Barnes is a brilliant villain that should appear on more top villain lists while Dafoe oozes charm and confidence in his role.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    y'know - I don't think I've ever watched Platoon. There was a slew of Vietnam films at one time and I had seen enough of them. Missed it in the cinema and just never got around to watching it on video.

(although maybe I did - I got a sneaking feeling of having seen Open Range before - but maybe it was just clips - hard to tell).
  • The selling point of Platoon was that Oliver Stone served in Vietnam and presented a realistic portrayal of what happened there, confirmed by a lot of veterans.
    Its a warts n all view from a soldier's angle.

It is not a comfortable watch.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Aye - Platoon was first of his trilogy. I think I saw Heaven and Earth in the cinema.

Must queue up Platoon and Born on the 4th of July.
  • Ive not seen Heaven and Earth, should fix that.
    Born on the 4th of July is excellent.
  • Platoon is quality. Love it.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Heaven and Earth was about someone back in the states and had brought his Vietnamese wife with him - can't actually remember that much about it.
  • The Silence of the Lambs
    It writes the review on the forum.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    I was expecting the race thing to feature in the film...it was in the air quite quickly but it wasn't pushed.

This is the key theme of the book and it just doesn't go there in the film. Felt a bit milquetoast.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    LivDiv wrote:
    The Silence of the Lambs
    It writes the review on the forum.

I can smell your cunt!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!